New Canon 1D mkIV to be announced soon? - *NOW OUT*

Be interested to hear more about why he's doing that.

well as with all good rumours i heard it 3rd hand :naughty: but the inference was that he was that unimpressed with it that he's made the switch

A couple of points - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3S/D3SA7.HTM

Might make you change your mind.

Secondly - I'll wager you don't make your living from photography?

Flippin amazing link. Cheers.

This kind of high ISO capability really opens up new photo opportunities. Not that long ago, ISO400 film was considered about as fast as you could go for decent printed page reproduction. Now take ISO6400 as an example, which seems almost modest these days, that is 4 stops higher - the difference bewtween 1/4sec which is pretty much useless for most subjects, and 1/60sec which is fine, even for hand-holding. And this kind of advantage, and more, is delivered in all sorts of ways for different applications and situations that were previously simply out of the question. It is almost a night and day difference, and that's not merely a pun :D

The commercial potential is obvious, even if I don't need it for my amateurish snaps, or even want it. This strikes me as a hard core professional tool, light on gimmicks and heavy on the things that matter to action and press photographers - speed, accuracy, reliability, massive versatility and potential. For those things, it's going to be awesome.

surely if he was testing the IV he could of just gone back to his original III or II?

I think the point (if true) is he would have been waiting for the IV to make up the ground the III has lost on Nikon via the D3 / D3x.

As the IV has been somewhat of a disappointment compared to Nikons latest and greatest, plus theres no new glass / flashes announced it all seems a bit of a pointless upgrade other than video, which you could have on the 5d and will probably get you into more trouble than it's worth if you're a pro sports shooter due to tv rights.

Too little, too late comes to mind. Stop segmenting the market between sports / wildlife (7d / 1d) and portrait (5d / 1ds) and start giving us something decent Canon, like the D700 or the D3.

As the IV has been somewhat of a disappointment compared to Nikons latest and greatest

Sorry, but given that the camera hasn't even hit the streets yet how can it be a disappointment? :thinking::thinking:

I think we're getting a bit carried away with desire for more technojunk to be added to bodies and then being disappointed when it doesn't appear. As a camera I think the spec is fantastic.

The main things this camera is being sold on are AF, improved ISO performance, higher pixel count (and video :puke::puke:) and assuming it works as it should I'd say it will be a very successful upgrade for those who need it.

The only thing I still feel they've got wrong is the price. Get rid of the live view, video, pricier viewing screen, (in fact get rid of everything other than the shutter release, sensor and hot shoe :p) knock £1000 off and I'd have one in a flash.

...Stop segmenting the market between sports / wildlife (7d / 1d) and portrait (5d / 1ds) and start giving us something decent Canon, like the D700 or the D3.

What does the D3 do that the 1D4 does not? (And rather better, from what I can see.)

What does the D3 do that the 1D4 does not? (And rather better, from what I can see.)

Allow you to buy a backup body with your money ;)

I guess I'm in the position I want a camera that will allow me to shoot cars and shoot fashion. For me the D3 would be slightly better as I have all the advantages of that fantastic AF but with the dreamy IQ of a FF sensor, plus 9fps. If you want full frame with Canon, you lose speed.

I'm not going to spend £1000's of pounds jumping to Nikon when I can have a 1d MK3 for a steal, but the IV was meant to be the point Canon clearly took the pro lead. Instead they've hopefully played catchup (reviews depending) on a year old Nikon.

Allow you to buy a backup body with your money ;)

I guess I'm in the position I want a camera that will allow me to shoot cars and shoot fashion. For me the D3 would be slightly better as I have all the advantages of that fantastic AF but with the dreamy IQ of a FF sensor, plus 9fps. If you want full frame with Canon, you lose speed.

I'm not going to spend £1000's of pounds jumping to Nikon when I can have a 1d MK3 for a steal, but the IV was meant to be the point Canon clearly took the pro lead. Instead they've hopefully played catchup (reviews depending) on a year old Nikon.

Price is an issue, but that is the one aspect of the spec that will change.

FWIW, I think Canon probably has taken the lead. I think the new camera will beat Nikon in the important areas of quality, high ISO, dynamic range, AF and frame rate. The spec suggests that it does, and I'm sure Canon would not have released it if it didn't deliver. That is no small achievement, given the ability of the D3.

And they have done it with a slighly smaller sensor which most users will see as giving a reach advantage, possibly a depth of field advantage too. That of course depends on how you see these things, but that's a deliberate move by Canon - a key feature which they obviously believe is important to their target group.

It is also something Nikon doesn't offer, forcing a fundamental choice. Coupled to Canon's generally superior long lens range, I can see those long black lenses on the touch line turning white again.

Price is an issue, but that is the one aspect of the spec that will change.

For some, not all.

FWIW, I think Canon probably has taken the lead. I think the new camera will beat Nikon in the important areas of quality, high ISO, dynamic range, AF and frame rate. The spec suggests that it does, and I'm sure Canon would not have released it if it didn't deliver. That is no small achievement, given the ability of the D3.

It's far too early to say.

Quality - that's very debatable. Very. In my experience the build and QC of Nikon trumps Canon's.

High ISO - again very debatable. The early shots from the D3s look staggering, the 1D4 less so. Not such a surprise with a FF 12 MP sensor against a 16MP APS-H.

Dynamic range - see above. No obvious basis for your claim here.

AF - it has to work flawlessly for Canon. The D3s is a proven winner here.

Frame rate - 1fps. Moot. Bragging rights.

And they have done it with a slighly smaller sensor which most users will see as giving a reach advantage, possibly a depth of field advantage too. That of course depends on how you see these things, but that's a deliberate move by Canon - a key feature which they obviously believe is important to their target group.

Target groups. Plural. There are a large number of long-term Canon shooters in my field cursing the lack of a sub £4k pro FF body. The 5D II sure ain't it, lovely as it is.

It is also something Nikon doesn't offer, forcing a fundamental choice. Coupled to Canon's generally superior long lens range, I can see those long black lenses on the touch line turning white again.

There's a handy 10MP 1.2x crop if you need it. It's an option at least.

Superior long lenses? Slightly more affordable maybe, but the new longer Nikkors are sublime.

Hoppy,

I've a funny feeling we debated something very similar in the 7d thread, me moaning about Canons segmentation etc.

Your probably right, though as we're still frustratingly waiting for some of the big boys to do 7d tests (dpreview) I hope it's not as long to get the 1d MK4 mega reviews out to the public.

I'm sure the 1ds MKIV will knock the socks off the D3x, right up to the point the d4 comes to market.

Like microprocessors we're getting to the point of diminishing returns in terms of IQ / pixel density so it will be added value that wins sales. Canon must know this and are pushing video in a big way.

I'm sure the 1ds MKIV will knock the socks off the D3x, right up to the point the d4 comes to market.

I doubt we'll ever see current tech bodies knocking the socks off each other. Any improvements are so marginal already.

But still no full frame 8fps which I've been hoping for since the original 1ds :(
For the first time in my career I'm really thinking Nikon have the edge, they have what most press and commercial photographers want/own in the D3.

I've been a Canon EOS1 user since 1989 and even after been forced to use F3's,F4's F5's, D1,D2's when I was a staff photographer I still always went back to my own EOS1 when I could. Having seen the files and price of the D3 recently I am (hate to say it) considering switching, but I'll probably stay with Canon as I've too much money invested in the EOS system.

All my friends I've talked to feel the same and most of them have ditched the EOS1 and gone to the 5d, mainly due to weight but also cost. Now with the mk4 costing nearly as much as the 1ds I don't think Canon will at the moment get any fans back.
I think Canon are making a big mistake here, they need something to take on the D3.

just got this in from CPN

Canon Pro Photo Solutions is an unmissable event targeted specifically at professional photographers. It runs from 27 to 28 October at the Business Design Centre, Islington, London. Entrance is £8 on the door or free if you register now.
The event has been created by Canon to demonstrate the total workflow process from input to output and will feature a number of specifically chosen partners. You will have the opportunity to seek advice from industry experts, attend informative seminars and portfolio reviews, as well as discovering techniques to enable you to maximise your profit, even in the current climate.
One of the most popular features of Canon Pro Photo Solutions is sure to be the “Touch and Try” area; this will be your first opportunity to try out the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV – just launched this week!

So, Five-ish thousand for the new 1dmk4.....

And to think for another grand a new Mamiya MF 22MP camera is yours! [me thinks the cat is among the pigeons]

I can see a flight to New york in January being in the cards... B&H are selling it (t current exchange rate) for around £3000!!!
So - that's two flight for me and the Mrs.. few nights in a hotel.. nice dinners.. and I still save money from teh U.K retail price.

£4500 - ridiculous price...
Even in Finland I could get this cheaper... (about £4200)

I guess if you are planning a trip to NY anyway it makes sense, but to go out there & spend a few nights in a hotel for 2 of you, how much would you save.

Unless of course you fancy dragging me one back for a few hundred quid on the price.(y)

I guess if you are planning a trip to NY anyway it makes sense, but to go out there & spend a few nights in a hotel for 2 of you, how much would you save.

Unless of course you fancy dragging me one back for a few hundred quid on the price.(y)

Sure - I am sure customs will look at it nicely when I have couple of boxed MKIV's in my bag.

But I am sure one would save few hundred £'s even with the few night and flights..

Dod, started a thread on meetings section. Will you be there selling niftys??:razz::razz:

:LOL: nah, haven't had a nifty for a long time, went for a 1.4 and kept it, nicer by far :)

:LOL: nah, haven't had a nifty for a long time, went for a 1.4 and kept it, nicer by far :)

I got a 1.2, but have kept the nifty...my daughter's using it on her 400D as she b+*&gered the standard kit one, teaching her to compose instead of twisting a collar!!

I think val for money, the 1.4 makes sense, but the 1.2 is amazing.....anyway, this getting away from the thread...
George

Sure - I am sure customs will look at it nicely when I have couple of boxed MKIV's in my bag.

But I am sure one would save few hundred £'s even with the few night and flights..

couldnt you buy a dozen and post them back to the UK ? :)

couldnt you buy a dozen and post them back to the UK ? :)

Customs do check mail as well - and wouldn't you think a box with dozen MKIV's might be something that could arouse some interest at customs :D

Then again.. where would I find the £35000 or so to buy dozen MKIV's :thinking:

whats the deal then if i go to america with an empty camera bag, get the camera there, bring it back in the camera bag with packaging.

would i be likely to get away with that?

If you get stopped, not a chance. The only way that's going to work is to have just the camera in the bag. No packaging.

And you'll still end up with a camera that Canon UK won't touch under warranty.

If you get stopped, not a chance. The only way that's going to work is to have just the camera in the bag. No packaging.

And you'll still end up with a camera that Canon UK won't touch under warranty.

yeah thats what i mean mate, no packaging, just have it in a camera bag with other lenses so it looks like my camera.
was thinking of the d3s really, so not worried about the warranty :D

sorry guys, please no discussion on how to avoid import charges.

whats the deal then if i go to america with an empty camera bag, get the camera there, bring it back in the camera bag with packaging.

would i be likely to get away with that?

Why do people think that just because they go abroad they have some kind of right to bring back whatever they like without paying tax? It's illegal and although we all squeeze in the extra bottle of brandy, it is potentially a serious offense.

If you've got the brass neck, you can walk through and save a bit. But without a UK receipt, you could have warranty problems.

If you get stopped, they don't like it if you lie and try to pretend it's not a new camera. They are not stupid, they know exactly what's new and hot, and if you take the mick they will sting you, confiscate the camera and possibly hit you with a fine as well.

It's their job to seek out 'smugglers' and because the threat of being caught is their best deterrent, they will make an example of you. I know this because it happened to me, even though all my gear was legit. They confiscated the lot and because I didn't have receipts with me, it took several hours to verify everything. And they were very unpleasant, quite unnecessarily so considering I was completely innocent and was nice as pie. Apparently it was all my fault for not carrying receipts for everything... :shrug:

I agree with Hoppy, I carry proof of purchase with me if I go outside the EU particularly. The US prices, while seeming a lot cheaper (and in some cases there is still a substantial saving), must be looked at as follows. Firstly, unless you are shipping out of state, there will be sales tax added on and this varies from state to state, at the moment in New York city it's 8.375% for a complete list look here..http://ny.rand.org/stats/govtfin/salestax.html
Then there will be UK vat at 15% on all goods, when you declare at import. If it is a camera, I think I'm correct in saying there is no duty, but lenses attract I believe at least 10%, added on pre vat.

So although the headline price looks good, remember these extras when calculating your true price. Also the credit card companies won't give you the spot rate that the BBC tells you on the news, it'll be generally 3-4% worse.

I hope that gives a true picture.
George

yeah thats what i mean mate, no packaging, just have it in a camera bag with other lenses so it looks like my camera.
was thinking of the d3s really, so not worried about the warranty :D

Just pop into your local Jessops and steal one. Well, it's just as illegal as smuggling and you get bigger discounts!

If you do get caught you stand a chance of losing the camera, losing more money, losing your freedom and having an intimate encounter with a rubber glove!

I wonder how many members on this forum have purchased from one of the big Ebay sellers that clearly state "no VAT guaranteed".

Not condoning it, but i think UK customs have bigger fish to catch than your average Joe Bloggs...

I can see a flight to New york in January being in the cards... B&H are selling it (t current exchange rate) for around £3000!!!
So - that's two flight for me and the Mrs.. few nights in a hotel.. nice dinners.. and I still save money from teh U.K retail price.

£4500 - ridiculous price...
Even in Finland I could get this cheaper... (about £4200)
Did you add the 8% sales tax for NY
I see no saving by going to NY for one, the price will drop
over here soon.

I wonder how many members on this forum have purchased from one of the big Ebay sellers that clearly state "no VAT guaranteed".

I promise you, those guys are paying VAT. They're just heavily discounting the price. If you ship enough items then I'm sure it becomes economically viable to sell them on in the UK and make a profit even after paying C&E their due.

If they were avoiding the VATman then they'd be waking up to the sound of doors being stoved in at 6 in the morning.

Did you add the 8% sales tax for NY
I see no saving by going to NY for one, the price will drop
over here soon.

Yup, just look at the 7D. Started off at £1700. Now, a month later it's £1500 - a drop of 12%. If the same happens to the MkIV then we're looking at less than 4 grand by January.

B&H charge $5000. Add 8% sales tax gets you $5425. That's about £3500. Now add 15% VAT and you're at £4025.

Yup, just look at the 7D. Started off at £1700. Now, a month later it's £1500 - a drop of 12%. If the same happens to the MkIV then we're looking at less than 4 grand by January.

B&H charge $5000. Add 8% sales tax gets you $5425. That's about £3500. Now add 15% VAT and you're at £4025.
With no warranty.:D

Just pop into your local Jessops and steal one. Well, it's just as illegal as smuggling and you get bigger discounts!

If you do get caught you stand a chance of losing the camera, losing more money, losing your freedom and having an intimate encounter with a rubber glove!

or alternatively be legally mugged by them for the full price:LOL:

I also find it bizarre that there is a lot less interest in glass than cameras now. The number of 5DII or similar I've seen with relatively humble lenses on them still confuses me.

I've noted that on several occasions.

Bodies are almost "disposalable" in some sense - an 18 month obsolescence cycle. A triumph of marketing over common sense.

Good glass will last for ever, and not lose value. Yet folks are upgrading bodies and still using crappy kit lenses! A new lens announcement gets about 3 views here! A body several pages of drooling.

Odd.

Back