New lens for my Canon 7D

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Recently acquired a 7D Mark I for £460 new as an upgrade to my Canon 600d. Couldn't justify the jump to the Mark II or 6D at the moment, nor did I see better value in the 70D, and the 80D is still too highly price.

I'm looking for a new lens or two, I currently have the 55-250 IS II, the 50mm 1.8 prime and the 10-18mm Canon. I want to add a better an more sharp lens to my arsenal.

I shoot a range of things, from landscapes to aircraft and airshows; really at opposite sides of the focal length. Here's what I've been considering, with the price I can get them for, all new.

Canon EF-S 24 mm f/2.8 STM Lens - £90

Canon EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens - £100

Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC HSM Optical Stabilised lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras with APS-C Sensors - £185

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens - £330

Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Lens for Canon - £410

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Optical Stabilised Telephoto Lens Canon Fit - £410

I know some are vastly different lenses but I want as much input as possible, or, what others would you recommend?

Thanks,

Tom

I probably come across as a broken record to some members but the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 will be the best lens you ever own. It is ridiculously good. The 70-200L is also a great choice and should definitely be on your list of lenses to get.

Welcome to the forum btw (y)

Thank you, I appreciate your response! I've read a lot of good things about the 18-35mm and that would fill a bit gap in my current line up.

Considering also getting rid of 55-250 IS II for the STM version as I've heard IQ and build quality are much better.

Considering also getting rid of 55-250 IS II for the STM version as I've heard IQ and build quality are much better.

Personally I wouldn't - you'd be better spending your money on another lens. You've got the 55-250IS lens, the Canon 70-200L is a superb lens and I was very happy with mine.

In view of what you shoot, you might be better looking at something a bit longer on reach ?

Back