New PC With Windows 7

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
Reading about problems or conflicts between Windows 10 and Adobe CC2015 most days, I wondered if it was possible to get a new system built but using Windows 7 as the operating system instead of 10 that most dealers offer?

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

Not sure about Win 7 but you certainly can with the updated Win 8 which I run with no issues at all.

Yep, lots of systems come with W7 preloaded and the option to upgrade to W10. I have to say though that i run W10 and Adobe CC on one of my machines without issue!

If you stick with Win 7 you will have to put up with Microsoft Win 10 upgrade nagging :(

Companies like Softwaregeeks can still offer Windows 7 licences & media if you need it. Remember the Home versions of Window 7 have memory size limits, if you intend going above 16gb you will need Windows 7 Pro.

Also, I believe if you buy a PC with Windows 10 Pro installed you have downgrade rights to Windows 7 Pro and 8 Pro, this does not apply to the Home versions.

Wife just ordered a new laptop which is coming with win 10, but I did see several advertised running windows 8.1

Thanks for all the help, great as always. Good to hear I can downgrade Windows 10 Pro to 7 Pro.

Reading about problems or conflicts between Windows 10 and Adobe CC2015 most days, I wondered if it was possible to get a new system built but using Windows 7 as the operating system instead of 10 that most dealers offer?

Any help or advice would be most welcome.
Yeah I have just ordered 15 Hp desktops for work which will run Windows 7 when they arrive on the network. 8gb ram 128gb ssd

Thanks for the reply Simon.

I checked with the company that build my PCs and they tell me they can't use the Windows 7 disk from my present system but they will install Windows 10 Pro and downgrade it to Windows 7 Pro. I'm happy with that.

I wouldn't get a new one without W10 now.
In a couple of years time there'l be far more issues cropping up where 'outdated' Windows 7 is implicated.

If you have a powerful enough PC with plenty of memory you could always run Hyper-V under Windows 10 Pro and run a Windows 7 VM to host the Adobe products until the problems with Win 10 are resolved :)

Last edited:
The free upgrade to 10 is only available until July 2016* however.

*I am unsure whether downloading downloading the upgrade to a USB installer now will let you install and activate after the cut off

Adobe CC runs absolutely beautiful on my Windows 10 machine. I've got the full suite and no issues. I certainly wouldn't use that as the excuse and just be honest about it that you want to use Windows 7. No shame in that as many people seem to want that.

I have some sympathy for an older machine, but personally I would just make the switch. I works really well. At work I'm forced to use Windows 7 and I now really see its limitations and mentioned a few times to my peers that yup you can do that (different scaling on different monitors for example) in Windows 10 but not in 7.

But ultimately it is your machine and your choice.

Thanks for all the replies and help, and thanks also for the patience.

As I'm ready to order the new PC, I now have to decide which way to go with Windows. I still see people posting with problems on Windows 10 and I also see lots of posts where CC2015 and Windows 10 run fine together. Can I ask of those who use the system, what Windows 10 Pro will give me that Windows 7 can't?

The free upgrade to 10 is only available until July 2016* however.

*I am unsure whether downloading downloading the upgrade to a USB installer now will let you install and activate after the cut off
They say it's "free" but don't they send you an invoice after 12 months?

I may have misread the news story re this though...?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Still unsure, I'll have to update a lot of other things for Win 10. I guess I'll have to eventually!

The only problem I've had with Win10 was getting it installed onto the PCs in the first place, as soon as it was installed things were fine. Both laptop and desktop are a couple of years old, and both needed BIOS updates despite the Win10 compatibility checker saying they were ok.

As an OS it's been trouble-free to date, and is fairly intuitive. Having used most PC operating systems since DOS 3 it's no worse than any other and better than most. Just some niggling things to get used to, like how on earth I can get to Control Panel from the Settings page. And I miss the swipe from the right search bar of 8.1. And I must also admit having quite liked the Metro screen. Automatically adjusting split screen mode though, that's a wonderful little improvement introduced in Win10.

Hasn't there been issues with a lot of security suites, such as Kapersky?

Hasn't there been issues with a lot of security suites, such as Kapersky?
I am running Kaspersky on multiple Windows 10 systems without any issues. The only problem I have had was with one laptop (driver issue) & that particular PC was brand new with Win 10 installed already, not upgraded.

Last edited:
I am running Kaspersky on multiple Windows 10 systems without any issues. The only problem I have had was with one laptop (driver issue) & that particular PC was brand new with Win 10 installed already, not upgraded.
What about earlier copies of LR? I'm still running 4?

Thanks for sharing your experiences Alastair. Just what I was looking for.

Bought a new i7 machine in January and have no problems running W10 & CC package.

1 persons issue doesn't make a problem its an incident according to ITIL :)

Back