New Toys - Godox AD600 has arrived

Many thanks for your advice Mike and Phil!

I'm quite new to studio photography and I'm still finding my way around all the equipment I need for my home studio.

I think I might hold on for a while and get by with just one AD600 and reflectors. Then when I have a chance add an AD360II so everything it's built int and runs from the X1 transmitter and no worries of different receivers.

Would a TT685 do a good job for illuminating portrait backgrounds in the meantime?

Depends on the background and the effect you want to create as light spread from such a gun is not like from a studio flash. I prefer the V860II due to the Lithium battery and I use them as hairlights

Mike

Depends on the background and the effect you want to create as light spread from such a gun is not like from a studio flash. I prefer the V860II due to the Lithium battery and I use them as hairlights

Mike

It would be to create a bit of separation, colour the background, hairlights....

Yesterday I received my new AD600 and AD360II along with the Nikon X1 receiver, although I haven't tested them properly yet they look good quality and I'm pleased with the purchase so far.

I've just had a bit of a play with them and not sure if I'm doing something wrong here. I have the Beep signal on both units set to on. When I click on the test button on the X1 transmitter in order to take a light reading, both units beeps get reset on the menu to the off position and therefore won't beep again.
Any ideas on what's happening, please?

Yesterday I received my new AD600 and AD360II along with the Nikon X1 receiver, although I haven't tested them properly yet they look good quality and I'm pleased with the purchase so far.

I've just had a bit of a play with them and not sure if I'm doing something wrong here. I have the Beep signal on both units set to on. When I click on the test button on the X1 transmitter in order to take a light reading, both units beeps get reset on the menu to the off position and therefore won't beep again.
Any ideas on what's happening, please?

have you made sure the firmware is up to date on all units? have a look at http://www.godox.com/EN/Download.html and secondly make sure the transmitter is 30-50 cm away from the lights at least

Mike

have you made sure the firmware is up to date on all units? have a look at http://www.godox.com/EN/Download.html and secondly make sure the transmitter is 30-50 cm away from the lights at least

Mike

Thanks a lot for your quick reply Mike.

No I haven't had a chance to check about firmware updates yet, to be honest I haven't even thought about it. I've just had a look at that link you posted and I need to update the firmware in all 3 devices.
Are there any instructions anywhere on how to upgrade, please?

Thanks a lot for your quick reply Mike.

No I haven't had a chance to check about firmware updates yet, to be honest I haven't even thought about it. I've just had a look at that link you posted and I need to update the firmware in all 3 devices.
Are there any instructions anywhere on how to upgrade, please?

You need to install the G1 program (only a windows version available ) and then download the individual firmware updates. Remove battery from device and try to power on a couple of times (especially the 600) - connect via USB cable to the computer and then run the relevant firmware via the G1 program,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZOWs99bFKw

Mike

You need to install the G1 program (only a windows version available ) and then download the individual firmware updates. Remove battery from device and try to power on a couple of times (especially the 600) - connect via USB cable to the computer and then run the relevant firmware via the G1 program,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZOWs99bFKw

Mike

Great, thanks to that video I have successfully upgraded the X1 and the AD360II but when I connect the AD600 the PC does not recognise that I have connected it and therefore it can't be updated.

All sorted now, changed to a different usb cable twice and it worked. I have to say it has been a very easy and quick process.

Many thanks for your help Mike Weeks!

Personally I would go with the TTL every time

Mike

I agree, though it has to be said the TTL versions are a lot more expensive for something you maybe think you'll never use.

And that applies to me too, BUT... The thing about the AD600 and similar new generation units is they open up a whole new level of outdoor flash working. And that often involves action... and it's with changing distance that flash exposures go all over the place, moving much too quickly to adjust manual settings.

I just know that if I got the manual versions, I'd regret it immediately.

It will trigger on a Fuji I feel
It'll trigger.

But the way godox have developed the TTL triggers is to make the transmitter brand specific, and I think there'll be a Fuji one to come.

The flash is brand agnostic with all the camera software in the transmitter.

I used my AD600 on a studio session two days ago, I had the modelling light on and all of a sudden it went off and it would not work again. I checked the battery and there was still half of the charged left. I tried turning it on/off but it would not work, it did not work again until I fully charged the battery again.
The light did continue to work, it was just the modelling light that stopped working.

Is this how it's supposed to work?
I've a look around but I could not find any info on this issue.

Last edited:
I used my AD600 on a studio session two days ago, I had the modelling light on and all of a sudden it went off and it would not work again. I checked the battery and there was still half of the charged left. I tried turning it on/off but it would not work, it did not work again until I fully charged the battery again.
Is this how it's supposed to work?
I've a look around but I could not find any info on this issue.

Are you saying the modelling light would not work or the complete light would not work?

Mike

Are you saying the modelling light would not work or the complete light would not work?

Mike

Sorry, it was the modelling lamp that stopped working, the light did continue to work and I finished the session but with no modelling lamp...quite annoying to be honest.

When you recharged did it work again?

Mike

Yes, after charing the battery it did work again, it stopped when there was still half the charge left.
The owners manual doesn't mention anything about this so not sure if this how it should work or not.

Could it have been some form of thermal protection cutting in?
If extended use of the modelling light caused it to overheat, then by the time you recharged it had cooled down so worked again?

Could it have been some form of thermal protection cutting in?
If extended use of the modelling light caused it to overheat, then by the time you recharged it had cooled down so worked again?

I have no idea, maybe that's what happened?
I'm doing another photo shoot this weekend, I'll see what happens...but I have found no info on this issue anywhere.

Back