New Toys - Godox AD600 has arrived

And me been debating getting these for a good long while.

And me been debating getting these for a good long while.
It's not been available a 'long while' :thinking:

I'm waiting for the price to stabilise, although I did see an interesting price advertised today, but no stock. :(

I will go into more detail as I use it but unfortunately can not set time aside at present to test. This was £500 from EBay and my yest be subject to customs (there are sellers out there offering for £500 from UK who are waiting for stock to arrive) but I need to test asap as it will determine my kit bag for a number of jobs.

Mike

What I am most excited about is not available yet and that is the remote head and the AC adapter - when it has these then it has features not available on the Phottix Indra or the Profoto B1. Real beauty is that when Godox get the 860s to have the same X1 wireless control you will have the most versatile lighting set up via a single controller (AD360II is already included) and just by changing from a Nikon X1 transmitter to Canon X1 you have changed system. They all have Nikon and Canon built in communication and there is enough rumour that they will also do Sony sometime soon.

Mike

It's not been available a 'long while' :thinking:

I'm waiting for the price to stabilise, although I did see an interesting price advertised today, but no stock. :(

If I debate anything more than a few days it's a long while for me and have been looking at these for a few weeks.

I will go into more detail as I use it but unfortunately can not set time aside at present to test. This was £500 from EBay and my yest be subject to customs (there are sellers out there offering for £500 from UK who are waiting for stock to arrive) but I need to test asap as it will determine my kit bag for a number of jobs.

Mike
I know exactly what this product costs from the factory and I also know exactly what they will eventually be sold for on Ebay, by Honk Hong sellers who don't pay any taxes of any kind and who won't provide any form of warranty or any other after sales service - the price will be a smidgeon under £500.

Mike
Yes, there are UK based sellers who say that they will be selling it for £500, but if they do so and they are paying VAT, then they will be losing money on the sales, so what will be the value of any warranty, even if they actually have the resources to repair them?

My personal advice to anyone who likes to live dangerously and who is thinking of buying these from an ebay seller with no warranty is to wait at least 6 months - give the factory time to identify and fix any problems, history indicates that it will take at least this long.

This might come as a surprise but the AD600 has a Guide Number of 87 and the AD360 has 85 so about the same power.

I have just done some manual full power tests and it is right, very little difference.

I then used manual HSS up to 1/8000 and again very similar.

Lastly I tried on TTL and both consistent but past 1/5000 they both seem to be 1/3 to 1/2 stop underexposed.

Mike

This might come as a surprise but the AD600 has a Guide Number of 87 and the AD360 has 85 so about the same power.

I have just done some manual full power tests and it is right, very little difference.

Lastly I tried on TTL and both consistent but past 1/5000 they both seem to be 1/3 to 1/2 stop underexposed.

Mike

Argh. I wish I had read this a few days ago or that you'd posted it lol. I literally ordered mine 2 days ago.

If this is indeed the case then I'll probably return it.

Mike

Mike, did you compare exactly like for like? Eg same double-diffuser softbox, at exactly same distance? What was the difference in stops?

Always find it nuts how people on a budget insist on buying dodgy chinese imports loaded with notional features that will never be used, but completely overlook the second hand market for simpler designed but higher quality branded products.

Always find it nuts how people on a budget insist on buying dodgy chinese imports loaded with notional features that will never be used, but completely overlook the second hand market for simpler designed but higher quality branded products.

There's not such a great market for second hand B1's, Indra 500's etc. Give it a year or two though...

Who is on a budget? Personally I have been using Godox for some time and find them perfect for what I need. No notional features in these and time will tell how good they really are and there is nothing that you can buy second hand to match these at their price.

Personally I hate it that people can not use their real names on forums, that is absolute nuts - much prefer to talk to people who are real people.

Mike

So an office test of the AD360II compared to the AD600 both fitted to a Selens deep Octa and now we see the difference of 1 stop, at the point I was measuring the 360 gave f4 and the 600 f5.6

This goes to show that the reflectors affected my initial tests and IMHO that the standard reflector on the AD360 is highly optimised.

The softbox fitted easily and I can see no issues using with the X1 triggers. Awaiting good weather to use outside.

@HoppyUK - much happier now that I have tested this way

Mike

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thanks @mike weeks, definitely food for thought. I was struggling with the AD360 on Saturday and clear forgot I could use HSS (so used to using the Safari2) :banghead:

So an office test of the AD360II compared to the AD600 both fitted to a Selens deep Octa and now we see the difference of 1 stop, at the point I was measuring the 360 gave f4 and the 600 f5.6

This goes to show that the reflectors affected my initial tests and IMHO that the standard reflector on the AD360 is highly optimised.

The softbox fitted easily and I can see no issues using with the X1 triggers. Awaiting good weather to use outside.

@HoppyUK - much happier now that I have tested this way

Mike

<snip images>

Thanks Mike, good to know (y)

See my updated testing, I found the stop of light

Mike
I got mine today too so came back to read this thread and glad you've updated it Mike. I've literally just took it out of the box and used the only softbox I have that will fit both. A Godox 60cm x 60cm. I had to hold it in front of the AD600 since I need a new bracket so it's not the most scientific test in the world at the moment either.

But like you, I've seen a 1 stop difference which I am happy with. I also just triggered the sodding thing by accident in front of my eyes and still seeing stars. Martin is not smart. Don't be like Martin.

I'll do some more testing with HSS and again when my new beauty dish arrives but a stop is better than I'd expected. It's a big bugger though!

Did you expect them to be different? HSS at 1:1 is just a full power dump spread over loads of smaller pops. Recycle time claim is 2.5 secs at 1:1 - seems about right.

Did you expect them to be different? HSS at 1:1 is just a full power dump spread over loads of smaller pops. Recycle time claim is 2.5 secs at 1:1 - seems about right.

I was asked to do a test, so duly done but never really thought about it.

What I also tested was on continuous and was getting 4fps at 1/8 -0.7 without issue

Mike

Last edited:
Mike, can you try something for me? Can you try to remotely adjust the TTL flash compensation on the X1-T controller? Does the AD600 accept it?

I've tried it on mine and the AD600 ignores it. I can only bring the flash power down to 1/128 using the X1-T but the AD600 goes to 1/256 which is a shame.

Just been reading about that, make sure you have the latest firmware, Canon is V11 and Nikon V12 and a new custom function allows it to be set

Mike

Mike, can you try something for me? Can you try to remotely adjust the TTL flash compensation on the X1-T controller? Does the AD600 accept it?

I've tried it on mine and the AD600 ignores it. I can only bring the flash power down to 1/128 using the X1-T but the AD600 goes to 1/256 which is a shame.

Back