Nikkor 200-500?

Back from fishing caught a few but no real decent photo ops as weather was awful most the time but got the lens out just to take few snaps really

The fishing wagon!
untitled-0042-2 by Stuart Howe, on Flickr

My mate looking for carp

untitled-0032 by Stuart Howe, on Flickr

The scales waiting to be used

untitled-0038-3 by Stuart Howe, on Flickr

and think focus is pretty good on mine heres a heavy crop

untitled-0038-4 by Stuart Howe, on Flickr

the lake is near lakenheath airbase but only managed this one as no jets went over..bit of a last minute grab shot as I was eating a nice bacon roll!

untitled-0013-2 by
Stuart Howe, on Flickr

Just poised waiting for action lol

untitled-0040 by Stuart Howe, on Flickr

Has anyone used this lens for football or other outdoor sport in anything other than amazing light? Overcast or floodlit perhaps. Looking at AF performance reviews more than anything else.

I want a tele-zoomer for my D750 but can't decide between this, or an older Sigma 120-300 2.8 (with a 1.4x) for a bit of occasional sports/motorsports shooting. I rented the newer sport 120-300 and thought it was fantastic, but understand the generation before that is almost identical so won't throw extra money at a sexy design. Waiting to see what pops up on the classified first is my current method of making that choice.

Have to say I've always been impressed with mifsuds when visiting them, was very pleasantly surprised at Christmas when a really nice book turned up in the post with a thank you for me custom note throughout the year inside :)
Same here but I actually got 2 lol as I'd used 2 different email addresses when registering products with them living in North Devon it's my local pro shop I purchased my D750 there and get fantastic service there whenever I go so when I've saved my pennies that's where I'll be getting my 200-500 from

Mine arrives tomorrow and I'm looking forward to chucking it on the D700. I spent a lot of time trying to decide whether to go for this or 3rd party 150-600 options but in the end it had to be the Nikon.

I acquired this lens a few weeks ago after seeing several favourable reviews and convincing myself I need a zoom with some reach (read bad case of GAS). It is rapidly becoming a favourite. The VR works really well and it produces really sharp images assuming of course that I get it right. I find the AF a bit on the slow side, but still very usable and not really an issue. I have found it good for birds of all sizes, today it was a Dragonflies and Damselflies which are quite small and can be awkward to get sharp.

It's a tad heavy to lug around perhaps, but I have found the results to be well worth it.

Variable Damselfly
by Jerry Hawker, on Flickr

squirrel.jpg

Just a boring old squirrel on the new lens, quite a big crop on it and I haven't fine tuned the AF yet. First impressions are good, and the tripod collar is better than some reviews suggested.

The only thing I don't like (which I was aware of before the purchase) is the amount of barrel rotation needed to go from 200mm to 500mm

Me again.

Just used my 200-500mm in anger at a school cricket match and I must say I'm really impressed.

I've previously covered cricket at the same location with a Sigma 120-300mm plus 1.4 tele and a also with a rented Sigma 150-500mm.

Each time was on my D700 and the new lens is much sharper than the other two.

One with the 200-500--not as dramatic as the above!!

I don't suppose it's as absolutely sharp as the 300mm f4+1.4 tc, I'll have to check one day, but the great VR and zoom enable it to work in a much wider range of conditions.

DSC_9780%20sedge%20frame%20filler%20pp_zps7oeqdatu.jpg

BTW is anyone else having trouble with flickr? My new uploads are showing up as small/blurred.

Edit: hmm, this is getting resized as well by photobucket!! Original here if anyone is interested

Last edited:
Nice shot mate. With regards to Flickr I have noticed a lot of my images appear quite soft when uploaded over last couple of weeks

Nice shot mate. With regards to Flickr I have noticed a lot of my images appear quite soft when uploaded over last couple of weeks

Thanks, but it's been degraded by photobucket--the link I just added shows the lens off much better!

Don't know what's going on with the photo sites, but it's aggravating!

Last edited:
Not at all mate I didn't really spend anytime on them in post and was going to have a play in Lightroom but never got round to it.

I would just like to blame you all for the order I have just placed... you should be ashamed of yourselves!

It should be hear just before World Rallycross at Lydden Hill so I'll report back then!

Ok so it arrived on Thursday and I had a little play with it that night and again yesterday and I'm blown away. The image quality is simply stunning and the VR is incredible. I'm not sure how you can get a sharp image handheld 1/160th at 500mm but apparently you can!

The other thing I noticed is how well balanced it is, even at 500mm it feels very nice to hold.

Anyone thinking about this lens just buy it when you can, I really wish I hadn't waited to so long even though I've only spend a short amount of time playing with it. I can't wait to use it in anger this coming weekend.

Here's a quick 1:1 handheld 1/160 at 500mm and it looks pretty sharp to me. Thinking about it, I'm on a DX body (D7200) so it is actually 750mm...

sjh_200-500_1-1.jpg

Flicker upload can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/samhopwell/27132377066/

Impressive isnt it..I love mine and need to get out with it a little more.

It's fantastic, I can't wait to start getting out shooting with it and spamming this thread!

I look forward to seeing more of what you will post.

Regarding the autofocus speed, I read a couple posts here referring to it as slow. What's everyone's opinion on this? I used to have a 300 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 II. How far behind is it to those? Assume it will go on either a D750 or D500.

I've only used mine a few times and was very surprised as the AF speed and accuracy. No it's not as fast as my 70-200 2.8 II however is very close and I wouldn't complain at the price point.

I should get a fair bit of use out of it tomorrow shooting motor sport so I'll report back then.

I've only used mine a few times and was very surprised as the AF speed and accuracy. No it's not as fast as my 70-200 2.8 II however is very close and I wouldn't complain at the price point.

I should get a fair bit of use out of it tomorrow shooting motor sport so I'll report back then.
Look forward to seeing the results mate.I find the AF fine its not the quickest out there but once it locks on its great.I have used it to shoot sports and BIF and have not felt hindered at all with the AF speed.

So something a little different from the normal wild life (sorry in advance!).

This was my first outing with the lens and at a new track. Lydden Hill has probably the best viewing in the UK and the 200-500 was a little over kill and could probably have just used the 70-200 for the more tele shots, I was however determined to use it!

20160528_WRX_Lydden_Hill_RAW_0032.jpg by Sam Hopwell, on Flickr

20160528_WRX_Lydden_Hill_RAW_0080.jpg by Sam Hopwell, on Flickr

20160528_WRX_Lydden_Hill_RAW_0149.jpg by Sam Hopwell, on Flickr

I did have a few throwaway shots, however I think they were more down too me being nervous and overly cautious using it for the first time rather than the lens itself. Overall I'm reasonably happy with it and just need to get out and use it a bit more.

Does anyone uses theirs with a monopod? If so what do you normally set your VR to? I found myself turning "Normal" where as I would normally just turn it.

Hope this is relevant thread....
Not quite decided on buying Nikon 200-500 or Sigma 150-600 sport.
Wildlife photography, but also sailing (so damp conditions at times).
Have signed up for Bear photography in Finland. Any experience with either lens.
Have 70-200 2.8, but dont want loss of IQ or AF with TCs.
Like the VR spec on Nikon. Tend to take in lower light using D750.

Back