Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

Has anyone used the 1 series with any of the underwater housings that are available?

Has anyone used the 1 series with any of the underwater housings that are available?

I went the 1AW route - no housing needed for my (snorkelling) needs.

Anyone using a Nikon 1/FT1 with a Tokina macro lens? I can't decide between that and the Nikon 105/2.8 VR - for use with a Nikon DSLR, but also interested to see if it'll work with my V1/FT1...

I tried a Tamron 18-270 on mine and it didn't work so I chopped the lens in against a 2nd hand Nikkor 18-200 which works fine. The Nikkor 105mm also works well on the FT1 and V1.

If its not Nikon the most likley to work would be Sigma,

After having a good look around this past week, I could see me selling my 300PF and getting a V2 or V3 and 70-300CX as that seems a superb small combo

After having a good look around this past week, I could see me selling my 300PF and getting a V2 or V3 and 70-300CX as that seems a superb small combo

Yes the 70-300CX is a great lens and makes it a great light and portable system.

not a big fan of zooms, got a 70-200 2.8 but not a big fan, if i was to pick a lens for these cameras, it would be a 300mm f4
the close focusing is brll..

I do have a 300 2.8 VR II and 300mm F4 PF VR and guess they will work well but heard the 70-300 worked very well with all focus points as was designed for CX ?

Yes the 70-300CX is a great lens and makes it a great light and portable system.

That's what I was thinking as the d500 and 300pf is a great combo but not in same league for weight
So could imagine using the 300 2.8 on d500 and taking a V2 and 70-300CX when out walking rather than purely day of photography if that makes sense

That's what I was thinking as the d500 and 300pf is a great combo but not in same league for weight
So could imagine using the 300 2.8 on d500 and taking a V2 and 70-300CX when out walking rather than purely day of photography if that makes sense

Yes I confirm all the focus points work with the 70-300CX and it has a very useful close focus (Macro) as well.

Just picked my new Sigma 100-400 up to go with the D500 so thought i would try it on the V2,not much of a subject but will try some birds later.

400MM

DSC_8400.jpg

Interesting this its a f6.3 @ 400mm and on the V2 it will AF with the Sigma 1.4 converter , not a good test as apart from the subject i hand held it @ 1512mm,i know most mirrorless will focus to f11 but never tried it before.

DSC_8427.jpg

Another sample from the 100-400 and 1.4 on the V2,can only shoot from the front door at the moment.

Full image

DSC_8457f.jpg

100% crop

DSC_8457second.jpg

Only just got my (used) Nikon 1 V! and an FT-1 adapter and after doing the firmware updates to camera and adapter, and a bit of reading, I am quite impressed.
I have attached my Nikon 300 f4 VR PF and the resultant lightweight 850mm f4 VR lens (yes I know) is astonishing, it is so light that I can't wait to get out on the reserve and give it a go ... should be fun on the 500 f4 VR too! :D

Any tips for a first time user, most welcome.

Only just got my (used) Nikon 1 V! and an FT-1 adapter and after doing the firmware updates to camera and adapter, and a bit of reading, I am quite impressed.
I have attached my Nikon 300 f4 VR PF and the resultant lightweight 850mm f4 VR lens (yes I know) is astonishing, it is so light that I can't wait to get out on the reserve and give it a go ... should be fun on the 500 f4 VR too! :D

Any tips for a first time user, most welcome.

Never seen this thread before, thanks for bumping it! ;)

I kind of regret selling my 300mm PF now that I have the V2!

Looking forward to the results (y)

Gramps if you have the V1 just watch out that you don't fat finger the node dial by the thumb grip on to video etc.
The metering is pretty much bob on and after a while its quite easy to change any settings you might need.

I look forward to seeing some of your shots.

Gramps if you have the V1 just watch out that you don't fat finger the node dial by the thumb grip on to video etc.
The metering is pretty much bob on and after a while its quite easy to change any settings you might need.

I look forward to seeing some of your shots.

Thanks Ian, I did notice that I switched to video at one stage and couldn't understand why I got an error on the screen. :)

A few shots taken with the V1 in Lanzarote a few weeks ago, if you follow the shots to my Flickr page all the shots in the Lanzarote 2017 and 2016 albums were taken with the V1, I've now purchased the V2, it's a cracking holiday set up, no heavy bags to cart about :)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YQ6k2g]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YKivrS]
[/url][/url]

A few shots taken with the V1 in Lanzarote a few weeks ago, if you follow the shots to my Flickr page all the shots in the Lanzarote 2017 and 2016 albums were taken with the V1, I've now purchased the V2,

What do you like about the V2 over the V1?

Off to Thailand tomorrow and taking my V2 + Tamron 70-200 2.8 with me. Bought it for the trip as I really didn't want to be lugging my D3s about everywhere!

Hopefully the 200 end will be okay for a bit of birding ;)
Bit lighter than a 500 f4! :)

What do you like about the V2 over the V1?

The finger grip for one thing gramps, just feels more comfortable in my hands, it's slightly smaller and lighter as well, and I was constantly checking to make sure I'd not altered the mode dial on the V1 by accident, it's still a great camera in good light now I've said that.
I use the Nikon1 as my travel/holiday set up so I don't have all the weight of my D500 and 200-500mm, just a small bag with the body and a Nikon1 70-300mm (only got that three months ago off ebay) :)
Sorry for not replying quicker, I don't seem to be getting any notifications from the site for the moment, I'll be off line a few days from tonight, got to report to the hospital for 07.30 in he morning, they've asked me in for a fiddle about, I think that's the technical term anyway lol :)

The finger grip for one thing gramps, just feels more comfortable in my hands, it's slightly smaller and lighter as well, and I was constantly checking to make sure I'd not altered the mode dial on the V1 by accident, it's still a great camera in good light now I've said that.
I use the Nikon1 as my travel/holiday set up so I don't have all the weight of my D500 and 200-500mm, just a small bag with the body and a Nikon1 70-300mm (only got that three months ago off ebay) :)
Sorry for not replying quicker, I don't seem to be getting any notifications from the site for the moment, I'll be off line a few days from tonight, got to report to the hospital for 07.30 in he morning, they've asked me in for a fiddle about, I think that's the technical term anyway lol :)
Hope all goes well at the hospital :)

Took the V1 out for the first time this morning to use with the 300 f4 PF & 500 f4 VR, bit of a murky morning but it was a very interesting trial.
Carrying the V1 with the 300 f4 PF is amazing ... 800mm at the 'weight of a feather' is a whole new experience.
It wasn't really a fair test as the light was very poor for most of the morning and I hadn't had any previous experience of using the V1, however some observations:-

Pros
  • It's very light, amazing to have so much packed into a small casing.
  • The bright viewfinder makes it easy to see what you are photographing.
  • The electronic shutter (selection choice) makes for totally silent photography, great for wildlife.
  • The availability of the FT-1 adapter means the V1 can be used with any Nikon AF-S lens (and doubtless some 3rd party lenses) making for some very long options.
  • For a 10mp camera the results aren't bad.

Cons
  • ISO is a bit 'clunky', you can select one value or you can select Auto 100-800 or Auto 100-3200 and allow it to choose the ISO based on what it thinks best, however it does not display what it has selected so you simply don't know.
  • The Mode Dial on the back can easily be moved off of its selected position ... moving from 'Stills' to Video for example.
  • There seemed to be a small lag from pressing the shutter button to the image being taken, this meant that a selected pose was missed, the bird that was looking at you may now have turned away ... or worse flown away!
  • After taking a photo the resultant image remains in the viewfinder for a few seconds so you can't immediately see to take the next shot.
  • Using the FT-1 adapter to enable the use of standard AF-S Nikon lenses means that AF is only available using the center single-point.

Some sample photos from the morning.

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

and a short video clip

Back