Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

With the advent of the Z series it amazes when people say 'Nikon are new to this mirrorless game' - to my mind, they were ahead of it and got short shrift from the Photo press.

A much forgotten aspect of Nikon's development program.

Reactions: TG.
With the advent of the Z series it amazes when people say 'Nikon are new to this mirrorless game' - to my mind, they were ahead of it and got short shrift from the Photo press.

A much forgotten aspect of Nikon's development program.

Indeed, but it would seem that unless its full frame, it doesn't count, but Nikon have commented on how much their Nikon 1 experience contributed to the Z cameras. At least it puts Nikon one up over Fuji, Panasonic and Olympus who, by the same criteria, still haven't managed to produce their first mirrorless camera. I look forward to the same comments being made about Panasonic when their first (FF) mirrorless is released.

The Nikon 1 was a camera ahead of its time, and its a great shame that Nikon never really seemed to know what to do with it. And it did get many very good reviews from the photo press, the "hatred" seem to come from forums and people who had never used it, or used it in a cursory manner. I was amazed at the quality you could get out of that 1" sensor, but it did need some effort to get the best out of it

I have sadly sold mine now, but every time I come across an old Nikon 1 image, often mixing seamlessly with my D600 and D500 images, I regret getting rid of it, but I needed the money.

I still want to believe Nikon when they said they continued to have a long term commitment to the Nikon 1 and that it was just sleeping and not actually dead. As sensors continue to improve, and once they have sorted out the Z system, a high quality 1" sensor with "small" and high quality CX lenses. properly marketed, might still have a place :)

looking at one of these compact camera's
just wondering what is the best of the bunch ?
do any of the have a viewfinder ?
whats the range of lens's like ?

looking at one of these compact camera's
just wondering what is the best of the bunch ?

If you want a viewfinder it's the V1 or V2, from memory the V3 requires an add on viewfinder.
The J range are rear screen only.
I've had the V1 with a 10mm and 70-300 native lenses. Both very good.
Cracking little camera.

l

As already said, Nikon V1 and V2 have built in viewfinders, V3 has an add-on viewfinder and although bulky, it fits very solidly and you wouldn't know it was an add-on. It does however use up your hot shoe.

I would argue the V3 with the add-on grip and the add-on viewfinder handle the best of the three V cameras, but there was something delightful, and a bit special about the V1 (not sure how to describe it). Controls were a bit limited on the V1 without diving into the menu, and I think the V2 was the best compromise between cost, easy access to controls and overall handling.

Widest lens is a 6.7-13mm zoom, longest is a 70-300 zoom, but you get an adaptor to fit any F-mount lens onto a V1, with some minor limitations that I never found to be a problem.

I traded in all my Nikon 1 kit to get a D500, and I sorely miss them, a bit of a hidden, and misunderstood, gem from Nikon.

Don't be tempted with a V3 thinking you can add an EVF later they are in very short supply on the S/H market.

I bought a V1 last year as a travel camera, brilliant little camera, the 10-30 is a pretty sharp lens, the only downside i found was the rear command dial gets knocked pretty easy, so needs checking before taking a photo, using it set to Raw and process the images through LR, I was pretty blown away with the results.

I thought Thom Hogan's prediction that some 1 series cameras are going to be collectables was very interesting. I certainly quite liked the feel of a V1 once, and some of the shots that Thomas Stirr gets with his Nikon 1 series are really exceptional! Not sure I'm going to follow this through and actually buy one though; the handling didn't quite ork for me, and I hate menus... I'd prefer to spend my money on film and processing!

I thought Thom Hogan's prediction that some 1 series cameras are going to be collectables was very interesting. I certainly quite liked the feel of a V1 once, and some of the shots that Thomas Stirr gets with his Nikon 1 series are really exceptional! Not sure I'm going to follow this through and actually buy one though; the handling didn't quite ork for me, and I hate menus... I'd prefer to spend my money on film and processing!

I've said this more than once here and loads of other times elsewhere ....
These are GREATLY underestimated cameras ... I can see how the 'Z' series took on Sony so well and competently in their first iteration of software (forgetting about the 1x card slot)
Just wish Nikon kept "The Faith" with the 1 Series :(

Since ive recently got a Panny G7, i havent been using my V1 for a few months now!
However, a family of Blackcaps are starting to hang out in my garden, an they are feasting on the Blackberries.
So i dusted off my V1/FT1/Nikon 300mm/Nikon 1.4 teleconverter setup, to try to capture a few images of these lovely birds.

PS. Ive captured some great images with my V1, these last couple of years............Sure, its controls are quirky, an its bloody easy to adjust settings(when you dont want to!) but theres a lot to like about the Nikon 1 series.

A couple of recent images.

Juvenile Blackcap, image is not cropped.DSC_8647-copy-to-800.jpg

Adult female Blackcap., image is not cropped.
DSC_8438-copy-to-800.jpg

I also like to use my V1 for Butterflies too. Green Hairstreak Butterfly, image is not cropped.
Nikon V1/30-110mm cx lens, with Raynox 150 close up filter. Manual, f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 200. Jpeg, handheld, no cropping, basic editing.
DSC_8381-copy-to-800.jpg

wow.... I started this thread so long ago. Reminiscing.. the V1/FT1 and Nikkor 300/4 was probably my most potent wildlife combo. It took a long time to realise that.. had sold up this kit well before I took notice of how good the shots were from it. There was a lot of potential, with the great AF on centre point and the rather decent 1” sensor. With my G80 and 200/2.8 Micro Four Thirds I finally have a combo as good, but I’ve been around the houses a lot in the time between.

The bad? Well, the V1 was a pig to handle IMO, controls weren’t hugely intuitive to me. The FT1 was too expensive, had it been cheaper there’d have been a huge amount more interest given the Nikkor glass... and the CX mount only ever got lip service in terms of a lens roadmap. The CX 70-300 looked great, though.

wow.... I started this thread so long ago. Reminiscing.. the V1/FT1 and Nikkor 300/4 was probably my most potent wildlife combo. It took a long time to realise that.. had sold up this kit well before I took notice of how good the shots were from it. There was a lot of potential, with the great AF on centre point and the rather decent 1” sensor. With my G80 and 200/2.8 Micro Four Thirds I finally have a combo as good, but I’ve been around the houses a lot in the time between.

The bad? Well, the V1 was a pig to handle IMO, controls weren’t hugely intuitive to me. The FT1 was too expensive, had it been cheaper there’d have been a huge amount more interest given the Nikkor glass... and the CX mount only ever got lip service in terms of a lens roadmap. The CX 70-300 looked great, though.

Yes! I mulled over the V1 and V3 but thought bang for buck, the V2 looks good! Loving the 18.5mm lens, so far super impressed! Just itching for some bigger zoom, so keeping an eye out! I've been all round the houses - Pany g80, many 100-400, 100-300, Canon RP, 700300 IS, 100-400... so adding this one to see what I think!

Just got the flash and a 30-110 lens on the way until I can find an FT1 and 55-300 afs or a CX 70-300. So excited, like a kid in a candy store! [emoji23][emoji23]

Enjoying the 1 series. I ended up with a V1 and a V2 and a few lens - enjoying the clarity and sharpness of the 18.5mm. These are shot with the 30-110 and the FT1 and Nikon 55-200 afs.

DSC_2607.JPG

Few more! I tell you what, if they had WIFI, 4K and maybe a touchscreen, I think they’d be bang up to date. I still feel there is very little lacking on them anyway! The sharpness and detail is excellent - all in RAW and minor editing in photoshop, and all with the super cheap and plasticky Nikon 55-200!

DSC_2746.JPG
DSC_2872.JPG
DSC_2882.JPG
DSC_2991.JPG

Anyone still using one of these, doing a big motorcycle tour this year and want some really small equipment to take. Really liked my old V1.

Anyone still using one of these, doing a big motorcycle tour this year and want some really small equipment to take. Really liked my old V1.
Still got a V1, but it mostly sits in the cupboard unloved

Still got a V1, but it mostly sits in the cupboard unloved
Looks like they are pretty unloved now, was looking for the 70-300 and they are rare as rocking horse! Think MFT is the way to go but the lenses are still quite big.

Looks like they are pretty unloved now, was looking for the 70-300 and they are rare as rocking horse! Think MFT is the way to go but the lenses are still quite big.
Selling mine with the FT1 lens adaptor so you can add any Nikon lens onto the camera

Back