Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

Is there much difference between the raw and jpeg files?

I had chance to look at the v1 and j1 with a very helpful nikon chap. I love the v1! But really cant stretch to it. So thinking j1 and 10-30. It really does look to be an excellent camera.

Hi,

I took a mixture of raw and jpgs over the weekend and whilst the jpgs were OK, I wasn't overjoyed by the results. This was with a modified picture control (somewhere between portrait and vivid).

You just can't post process and get to the detail the raw provides.

I will now stick to raw only and just apply presets and minor tweaks to them in Lightroom.

The V1 is a bit bulky, but yes the EVF is lovely and I am just used to framing it through the viewfinder.

What do people make of the motion snapshot feature?

I tried out a few on my kids and they can/do come out quite nice. (When playing back on the camera. I have figure out how to the use NX2 to create the movies)

The J1 seems a bit of bargain now at around £300 (fluctuates a bit) and the £50 cashback via debit card.

Price drop probably due to the recent announcement of the J2.

Hope Nikon release some fast lenses soon.

My personal view is that he V1 is far more usable than the J1 because of the EVF and the larger battery - I may be wrong but I think it also has a larger memory buffer

The EVF is excellent, I'm generally not a fan of these but I find myself using this almost 100% of the time. It vastly improves the overall handling of the camera

I would echo the comments re the raw files vs jpegs. I am very happy with the jpegs but the raw files give so much more latitude, especially when using control points in nx2.

Last edited:
Gutted, I'm trying to buy that but it's collect at store only, and none anywhere near me. They don't appear to want to do an inter store transfer either.

I looked at that before, I reckon it's not in stock anywhere - I tried several postcodes up and down the country and none were available :bonk:

Just checked mine as well and there is nothing. There must be one somewhere though as it says collect at store is available.

Perhaps, or it could be a cynical ploy to get people on the site in the hope that they'll buy something else instead... :thinking:

jpw said:
Perhaps, or it could be a cynical ploy to get people on the site in the hope that they'll buy something else instead... :thinking:

I must admit, I have seen this a fair few times in the past on their site. Then again, I am naturally distrusting!

The J1 still makes a good wee portrait camera too with the right lens attached:

2Custom.jpg

How good is the AF with this combination? Sounds very tempting :)

It's perfect, I haven't noticed any degrade in AF, the FT1 isn't cheap at around the £180 mark for an adapter and then to have AF you must buy the AF-S lenses which have the focus motor built into them but I just love the combo of the J1 and the 35mm 1.8, it's never off my camera :)

How much lighter are we really talking thogh between (in my case), a D90 plus the adapter?
Just curious as by the time i start putting af-s lenses etc on, cant be that much weight/bulk/size difference to a d3/5/90 is there?
Interested in swapping my gear as i was saying on my other thread, but seems a lot of compromises here which then defeats the smaller kit? Or not?
Cheers.

The thing I am loving more and more with the V1 RAW files is the amazing colour when processed through Capture NX2 - especially with the landscape colour mode
Really like the colours on the wheel/ladder landscape pic! (y)
Might give NX2 a go over Lightroom at some point.

Really like the colours on the wheel/ladder landscape pic! (y)
Might give NX2 a go over Lightroom at some point.

The other major benefit of NX2 is the ability to edit very selective areas through control points. It allows you to make very discrete adjustments

Cant afford/justify the slr and nikon 1 system, but worried about dof control and viewfinder really. Would probably switch but for a few big stumbling blocks (not just with nikon 1 system though). I do 95% portrait shots of my daughters you see with my d90 and 35/1.8

The only way i can see decent shallow dof would with the 310mm job and my kids about half a mile away? :)

Does appear nice images posted here though

How much lighter are we really talking thogh between (in my case), a D90 plus the adapter?
Just curious as by the time i start putting af-s lenses etc on, cant be that much weight/bulk/size difference to a d3/5/90 is there?
Interested in swapping my gear as i was saying on my other thread, but seems a lot of compromises here which then defeats the smaller kit? Or not?
Cheers.

A lot smaller and lighter. Well in my case I came from a D700 with grip and normally a 24-70 2.8 attached so it was quite heavy and big but the 1 series is very small for what you get.

The body only measures approximately 11cm wide, 6cm tall and 3cm deep. With the FT1 adapter and 35mm 1.8 AF-S attached the depth from back of body to front of lens cap is approx 11cm so it is still quite small in comparison to an SLR like the D90.

Cant afford/justify the slr and nikon 1 system, but worried about dof control and viewfinder really. Would probably switch but for a few big stumbling blocks (not just with nikon 1 system though). I do 95% portrait shots of my daughters you see with my d90 and 35/1.8

The only way i can see decent shallow dof would with the 310mm job and my kids about half a mile away? :)

Does appear nice images posted here though

The shot I just posted of my 2 yr old was with the 35mm 1.8 attached and I find it has just a nice amount of reach.

SnappyHappy said:
Ah ok, quite a difference then.
Is tempting.
Do you miss the dslr?

Yes and no, I miss my d700 sometimes for its quality as full frame d700's are in my opinion one of the best but for the value of my kit I had for the amount I used it I couldn't justify it.

I love the portability factor of the J1 that I can just grab it and snap away without taking a big slr out. Pros and cons to each to be honest.

Yeah saw that, am just just thinking by the time i get an adapter, probably the flash as well (v1), keep my lenses its quite a bit of cash for what will 'probably' be no better images than my d90, bit lighter though by the sounds of it.
But a lot of trade off for 'what'? hmm decisions...

Yeah well i suppose you had a d700 so a big difference in weight right enough. I mean the d90 isnt 'that' heavy, suppose i want the best of both :) shame you never get it in this game :) (£)

How do you find dof using the supplied lenses?

Yeah well i suppose you had a d700 so a big difference in weight right enough. I mean the d90 isnt 'that' heavy, suppose i want the best of both :) shame you never get it in this game :) (£)

How do you find dof using the supplied lenses?

I bought mine with the 10-30 lens but to be honest I never used it as in two days later I had the FT1 and 35mm 1.8 attached. Wouldn't expect anything fantastic with the 10-30 kit lens to be honest. They do have a 10mm 2.8 pancake lens which would have better dof but I just love the 35mm 1.8 too much to take it off lol.

Yeah i know what you mean about the 35mm
Think i really need it as a second camera unfortunately, which means saving :) lot of money when talking adapters flash etc soon mounts up :(
Did you look at any other cameras out of interest?

Yeah i know what you mean about the 35mm
Think i really need it as a second camera unfortunately, which means saving :) lot of money when talking adapters flash etc soon mounts up :(
Did you look at any other cameras out of interest?

Yea it all adds up even these "small" cameras are expensive :) I did look at the panasonic GX1 but ended up with the J1 purely on the fact that all my previous camera's have been Nikon (D40, D80 and D700) and I couldn't fault them so I knew I would be buying a good camera.

I bought mine with the 10-30 lens but to be honest I never used it as in two days later I had the FT1 and 35mm 1.8 attached. Wouldn't expect anything fantastic with the 10-30 kit lens to be honest. They do have a 10mm 2.8 pancake lens which would have better dof but I just love the 35mm 1.8 too much to take it off lol.

Would you mind sharing some of the results you got with that combo please? I'm gonna get my girlfriend an FT1 adapter so she can use my lenses but I've never seen the results of such combinations as of yet!

Think i'll give it another month or three and see how it goes. I know i'd miss my d90 too much, let's face, they are all very good cameras. The manufacturers arent stupid are they :)

Last night taking a pic of my eldest sleeping in almost pitch black, iso1600, 35mm on and gorillapod out :) dof field just great, that sort of thing i might miss although i hear iso is pretty good and probably not far off my geriatric d90 (might evdn be better dont know) :) i came from d3000 so think the d90 is amazing for iso :) :) my last pre slr was a canon g7 which i loved, but iso looked amazing when i got a d3000 :)

X100 looks very good as well, bit different again, but all very appealing. These cameras came such a long way in the last few years.

A few decent youtubes of the nikon 1 stuff as well if anyones thinking about it....

Would you mind sharing some of the results you got with that combo please? I'm gonna get my girlfriend an FT1 adapter so she can use my lenses but I've never seen the results of such combinations as of yet!

Here are a few I have taken with the J1/FT1/35mm 1.8 combo:

2Custom.jpg

newDSC_0790Custom.jpg

DSC_0603Custom.jpg

DSC_0285Custom.jpg

DSC_0279Custom.jpg

James J said:
Legend thanks mate. Thats actually better than I thought it would be, which is good :D

No problem, no doubt about it, it is a very capable camera. Like most things in the right hands it can produce some very good shots.

Shes only got the 10-30 lens at the moment that came with it (its bright pink) but her favourite type of photography is turning out to be landscape and wildlife, which both require completely different things out of the camera lol. The J1 is perfect for wildlife as the iso performance is pretty solid, great autofocus and the crop factor with the 300mm lens I own would be just immense for distant subjects.

James J said:
Shes only got the 10-30 lens at the moment that came with it (its bright pink) but her favourite type of photography is turning out to be landscape and wildlife, which both require completely different things out of the camera lol. The J1 is perfect for wildlife as the iso performance is pretty solid, great autofocus and the crop factor with the 300mm lens I own would be just immense for distant subjects.

Yea a 300 on that would be the equivalent to 810mm lol.

Seriously LOVE this camera... (Mrs. Chuckles by the way in case you thought I was into voyeurism)

by bazpics2010, on Flickr

Last edited:
Incidentally, has anybody else had trouble retaining the accessory port cover on a black V1? Nikon have sent out 'modified' black covers which still don't appear to stay in place. The white one fits perfectly in a black body but the converse is not true :(

We're on our third one in as many weeks :eek:

My white one came off in the theatre when I tried to take a pic of the stage. Luckily it being white made it a bit easier to find.

Barry, do you know what 'modification' Nikon did to the covers?

BTW .. nice pics or Mrs. Chuckles.

Are they jpg straight out of the camera or processed raw's?

My white one came off in the theatre when I tried to take a pic of the stage. Luckily it being white made it a bit easier to find.

Barry, do you know what 'modification' Nikon did to the covers?

BTW .. nice pics or Mrs. Chuckles.

Are they jpg straight out of the camera or processed raw's?

My white one is a good fit... the black one is rubbish. We were lucky enough to go through the photos Marianne took and found the thing! Once in Giverny, the other in Versailles! Sorry, don't know what mods were done - in fact Nikon UK service weren't aware there were any made! But I've had it confirmed by different people in a the same (unkown) dept that they were modified in Japan.

Thanks for the compliment... they were not RAW but jpg's. A few were level adjusted in lightroom. (Actually, not many at all). Still impressed by this camera - can't stop saying it!

Last edited:
Back