Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

Just looked in Cameraworld in Wells Street, London

They have a mint, boxed J1 in black with 10-30 lens and 6 month warranty for £212!!!!

daveproctor said:
Just looked in Cameraworld in Wells Street, London

They have a mint, boxed J1 in black with 10-30 lens and 6 month warranty for £212!!!!

Nice find, price probably heading down with j2 out next month anyway. Tempting at 200 quid though, they do say its mint on the site as well.

Jessops are selling the J1 with 10-30 lens for £279 with a free camera bag.
Offer ends on 31st Aug.

Couple of random shots this evening with the J1/FT1/35mm 1.8 combo. Nothing special just thought they were nice shots from this wee camera...

DSC_0961Large.jpg

DSC_0949Large.jpg

Took this with my girlfriends nikon J1 (pink!) with the 10-30mm lens that came with it (also pink!)

Candlelight by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

Really nice camera to use and quite impressed by it, especially the ISO performance.

Shhh don't tell the wife but just bought the ft1 mount...

I'm gonna be in so much trouble when she finds out! Whoops! Told her not to buy me the J1 for my birthday as it will make me buy more camera gear, oh well I do like to prove I'm right :)

Finally bought a J1. Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow. Worth ordering a spare battery for it? Surely the battery life can't be that bad?

I'd hold off order a share battery until you really put it through it's paces as I don't think you'll need it unless your seriously trigger happy ;-) and you would save yourself a few quid then put it towards the FT1 mount if you have some nikon glass :)

Hi Guys/Girls, Has anyone had any problems with the Exposure on the Nikon 1's?

I ask as in one video I saw the guy was saying that often the focus would lock on and the shot would be taken only to find that the photo was over or under exposed. It was only this review that said about but it did make me wonder.

My v1 should come tomorrow so guess what I will be doing after it arrives!!:LOL:

Hi Guys/Girls, Has anyone had any problems with the Exposure on the Nikon 1's?

I ask as in one video I saw the guy was saying that often the focus would lock on and the shot would be taken only to find that the photo was over or under exposed. It was only this review that said about but it did make me wonder.

My v1 should come tomorrow so guess what I will be doing after it arrives!!:LOL:

No never had that problem, perhaps the reviewer didn't know how to work the camera correctly :bonk:

The metering system on the V1 is the best I have so far used it is very rarley fooled. :D

Cyclops said:
The metering system on the V1 is the best I have so far used it is very rarley fooled. :D

Been playing with my J1 all day since collection and I think it does a better job of metering than the gx1 it replaces. Really pleased with the colours it produces as well. I must admit that I'm finding it annoying hunting through the menus to change settings though. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. We'll see.

Nice build quality though.

Well despite the metering being pretty much awesome, and AF so fast - I've decided Nikon 1 isn't for me. I'm glad I tried it out over a couple of days, taken some great pics, but I'm still finding the menus a bit fiddly to change in a hurry.

Popped mine back up for sale in the Nikon specific forum. If only it had an extra button or two it would be ideal.

Well despite the metering being pretty much awesome, and AF so fast - I've decided Nikon 1 isn't for me. I'm glad I tried it out over a couple of days, taken some great pics, but I'm still finding the menus a bit fiddly to change in a hurry.

Popped mine back up for sale in the Nikon specific forum. If only it had an extra button or two it would be ideal.

Oh dear - what next then ?

bl0at3r said:
Oh dear - what next then ?

Thinking I may be heading back to m43 again. Seems to be the best mix of convenient size, enthusiast orientated controls and price.
Did think about getting an rx100, but if it turns out not for me I think it would be difficult to sell on.

Edit: Yeah m4/3 it is I think. Busy trying to hunt down a used g3 now (it's a known quantity as I've had three!). I think the J1 will be going to my parents as an upgrade for them if I can't sell it in the next couple of days. It'll earn me massive brownie points.

Last edited:
Thinking I may be heading back to m43 again. Seems to be the best mix of convenient size, enthusiast orientated controls and price.
Did think about getting an rx100, but if it turns out not for me I think it would be difficult to sell on.

Edit: Yeah m4/3 it is I think. Busy trying to hunt down a used g3 now (it's a known quantity as I've had three!). I think the J1 will be going to my parents as an upgrade for them if I can't sell it in the next couple of days. It'll earn me massive brownie points.

good choice - massive amount of lens options

(y)

In the meantime, I've discovered something weird. In prep for selling I did a factory reset and took more pics out of boredom. The first is a picture taken yesterday (prior to the reset), 2nd is a pic I took after a factory reset. I can't put my finger on it, but there must have been a setting that I failed to spot when I first collected the camera.

The second pic is far more pleasing, less sharpened, and nicer colours.

Before reset :

Me by steelfish, on Flickr

After reset:

Peroni by steelfish, on Flickr

Nikon 1 is crying out for a fast prime (and not the so so f2.8 10mm)

It's a shame you've not got on with the J1. I think you'd find the general handling of the V1 better but it does take a while to get used to, especially having to go into the settings menu to make even minor changes.

However, it is worth sticking with. I'm an inveterate gadget freak and terrible when it comes to change for the sake of it. It is milestone for me in that I have now owned my V1 for 6 months and STILL no urge to change. I took it to the first home match of Northampton Saints today with the 30-110 lens and got the best pictures I've ever managed to get there.

My name is Dave, I have gear acquisition syndrome but I have been free of changing my camera gear for 6 months now :)

Last edited:
It's a shame you've not got on with the J1. I think you'd find the general handling of the V1 better but it does take a while to get used to, especially having to go into the settings menu to make even minor changes.

However, it is worth sticking with. I'm an inveterate gadget freak and terrible when it comes to change for the sake of it. It is milestone for me in that I have now owned my V1 for 6 months and STILL no urge to change. I took it to the first home match of Northampton Saints today with the 30-110 lens and got the best pictures I've ever managed to get there.

My name is Dave, I have gear acquisition syndrome but I have been free of changing my camera gear for 6 months now :)

Hmm, yes I'm a bit gutted as well. I'm wondering if I'd have got on a lot better if I'd have gone with something better/faster than the 10-30 kit lens : less changing settings required.

On the other hand - it could just be that I'm a crap photographer and m4/3 is a bit more forgiving!!!

Pleased the current GAS has been abated for you though ;-) If only the same could apply to me.

Last edited:
I like it and I like it a lot. The proof is that I am using it so much. My D700 is used for the serious stuff (and what a camera that is). When out and about the J1 is so good because it is small, has some great lenses, does great video and produces very good stills. As for AF I have not used anything anywhere near as quick.

It is not great in low light and there is noise at quite low levels but nothing too bad. Let's be honest most of the shots you should use it for are likely to be in decent light and will be displayed at relatively small sizes.

A lot of nonsense has been written about the small sensor and only 10mp . The sensor is small so the camera can be small and 10mp is plenty. Some of the other compacts just aren't compact - would rather carry my d5000.

The Nikon 1 system is not perfect no camera is but take time with it and you will have a great little camera.

I like it and I like it a lot. The proof is that I am using it so much. My D700 is used for the serious stuff (and what a camera that is). When out and about the J1 is so good because it is small, has some great lenses, does great video and produces very good stills. As for AF I have not used anything anywhere near as quick.

It is not great in low light and there is noise at quite low levels but nothing too bad. Let's be honest most of the shots you should use it for are likely to be in decent light and will be displayed at relatively small sizes.

A lot of nonsense has been written about the small sensor and only 10mp . The sensor is small so the camera can be small and 10mp is plenty. Some of the other compacts just aren't compact - would rather carry my d5000.

The Nikon 1 system is not perfect no camera is but take time with it and you will have a great little camera.

Very well summarised - it is a camera you need to take time with and the more you use and learn about it the better it is.

10mp is absolutely fine so long as you don't want to crop too much - there is a lot of hogwash written about how bad it is that the 1 sensor is 'only' 10mp.

I'd also question the comments about the kit lens - it is so much better than the standard kit lenses I've tried on most DSLR's and ALL MFT's. As for the 30-110 it is amazing

Last edited:
dave,
what was the fastest shutter speed you had to use to freeze the action? (i see one of the scrum was at 1/640 .. maxed out zoom at 110mm and f5.6)

don't think i could ever use the v1 for fast sports i shoot like tennis (contemplating whether to change the d700 + 70-200mm vr1 for something else as it's pretty bulky and heavy)

has anyone tried N1 with FT1 + a 70-300mm or a 70-200mm?

Last edited:
I used auto ISO and set the shutter speed at 640 to try and keep the ISO reasonably low.

I'm a VERY casual photographer hence the basic technique but I was really pleased with the AF speed and lack of shutter lag.

some touristy snaps (some of which were shot in jpg mode):

7925444462_3fb10a3087_b.jpg

7925442934_cca9f4d654_b.jpg

7925441876_50d5e9399d_b.jpg

7925438070_bf487aa203_b.jpg

(custom white balance using an expodisc)
7925432258_e96ba4195a_b.jpg

daveproctor said:
I used auto ISO and set the shutter speed at 640 to try and keep the ISO reasonably low.

I'm a VERY casual photographer hence the basic technique but I was really pleased with the AF speed and lack of shutter lag.

I used mine at my lads football match this weekend. There wasn't one pic where the focus wasn't nailed. Very pleased with the snappiness of AF.

Now I'm using RAW I seem to be getting much happier with my j1.

Had a nice surprise a little earlier this afternoon.

A courier turned up with the Nikon grip for my V1. My lovely ;) wife had bought it for me much to my surprise.

I've not had a chance to try it out in anger but it does feel nice on the camera. I could be wrong (I often am or so I'm told) but IMVHO I think I will not catch the Mode Dial so often, time will tell.;)

I've just stumbled across a website reviewing the 1 series and noticed they complained about ineffective VR at slow shutter speeds, and mentioned a firmware update to the lens cures it.

Seems strange to me as the 1.10 firmware for the 10-30 lens is supposedly detailed only to be able to turn off the camera when you compress the lens NOT anything to do with the VR.

Also seems strange that the existing lens firmware I have was listed as 1.0, so surely there can't have been any minor firmware updates between 1.0 and 1.1? I can't see any listed.

I've updated anyway and will have a play. Anyone else noticed any improvement with the latest lens firmware?

I'm really fancying the V1 to replacing my ageing canon G9. I like the fact I can also use my Nikon lenses via the ft1 adaptor. Has anyone got any views on the 30-110 kit lens at its longer end for birds in flight, the af system looks superb? now there's a new 18mm prime it really is attractive as a travel camera system, just need to rob another piggy bank that's all!

Last edited:
I must admit I quite like the look of the 50mm f1.8. It doesn't come out to November so plenty of time to raid the kids moneyboxes.;):)

Back