Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

Hi folks, can anyone tell me what the FT-1 adapter is like to use and also more importantly, how the 1080/60 is in video...and does it have any manual control and mic input?

I'm seriously considering the 1 system but it's more for slow mo full HD video...

Any help would be appreciated!

Had my first day playing with the J1 today. Initial impressions are good, it feels very solid in the hand (much more so than the Panasonic GF3 that I traded in). It is easy enough to use though some of the controls that I want frequently are in the depths of the menu system. AF seems decent and both kit lenses (10-30 and 30-110) seem plenty sharp enough. The on board flash seems much better than expected, much better than on previous mirrorlesses that I've used. Anyway here are a few shots from today...

7463485872_a69fe1393d_o.jpg

7463489964_e86f69457f_o.jpg

7463489072_1dd715f200_o.jpg

7463488332_e8b5cfd319_o.jpg

One last one taken through a telescope this evening.

7463485618_dd647e4032_o.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the corn picture and colours overall look great - it is this aspect of the Nikon 1 that I am very pleased with

Out of interest how did you take the picture through the telescope?

I really like the corn picture and colours overall look great - it is this aspect of the Nikon 1 that I am very pleased with

Out of interest how did you take the picture through the telescope?

I have an adapter that is basically a metal tube the attaches to the filter thread of the lens and then slides over the eyepiece of the scope. I prefocus the scope and then let the cameras AF work it's magic!

Phil Young said:
Maybe people aren't on here because they don't get their questions answered ;) lol

What's the video like?????????????????

I've used the video a few times but to be honest I have no idea how to edit and process them. I think one thing I remember liking was being able to take photos whilst also recording. Focus seems smoother than my dslr. In the end if I want video I tend to use my iPhone as the focus is much better and it's easier to get clips to other people straight away but I'm only talking about small social events, not commercially viable ones. I much prefer taking photos.

Do you intend to use the video function commercially?

Just picked up my J1 at the weekend, what case are you guys using for yours? The official Nikon one is £58 and that is for the bodies with the 10-30. Just wondering are there any good alternatives you can recommend.

Thanks
Clarke

I've been absent from these boards for a while... so much happening. But recently I wanted a camera that gave me all the thrills Nikon but without the weight and bulk of the kit we have. Enter a V1... what an amazing find!

I had to go to Australia for an interview (long story) but came back with a job and a V1.

Here is a link to a collection of shots I took just after I bought it (2 hours - battery charge). Straight out of the box with no corrections aside for re-sizing. Marianne was so impressed she has badgered me for one! So now we have gone black and white!

Melbourne July 2012

I'll sort out some more as soon from France and other places as soon as I've posted to Flickr

Oh... felt I needed to share this shot too. Avaliable light, 30-110 zoom hand-held

ickworth_001.jpg

I've been absent from these boards for a while... so much happening. But recently I wanted a camera that gave me all the thrills Nikon but without the weight and bulk of the kit we have. Enter a V1... what an amazing find!

I had to go to Australia for an interview (long story) but came back with a job and a V1.

Here is a link to a collection of shots I took just after I bought it (2 hours - battery charge). Straight out of the box with no corrections aside for re-sizing. Marianne was so impressed she has badgered me for one! So now we have gone black and white!

Melbourne July 2012

I'll sort out some more as soon from France and other places as soon as I've posted to Flickr

Glad there's another fellow user on here - still got mine and the more I use it the more I like it :love:

Some shots taken with the FT1 and 300mm 2.8. :)

Exif is embedded in shots.

1: ISO 100
080812_4663.jpg

2: ISO 200
073012_3654.jpg

3: ISO 800
080812_4660.jpg

4: ISO 3200
080812_4675.jpg

No noise reduction applied.

5: One from a business trip to Eastbourne. 10-30mm at 1/13 sec hand held.

062512_3578.jpg

Last edited:
These pics are all great, and I had a play with the j1 earlier today and I must admit it's a lovely piece of kit. Really fast in operation, and as much as I loved my gx1, there's something about the Nikon colours.

Now I fancy a v1, mainly for the beast of a battery. Does anyone have a direct real world comparison of the battery life between the two?

Count me in as a new V1 user. Just purchased a mint secondhander with only 800 clicks, with the 10-30 and 30-110 zoom lenses, as well as the SB-N5 speedlight and GPS module (all in all a pretty comprehensive kit).

Just waiting for my FT1 to arrive, then I can't wait to test it out with my 300mm F2.8 and converters.

I've also just realised with the FT1, that we already have a 70-200 AFS in the venerable 24-70 F2.8 (well 64.8-189mm) but close enough, that's really portable.

Now I fancy a v1, mainly for the beast of a battery. Does anyone have a direct real world comparison of the battery life between the two?
Nothing from real experience (and I wonder who would) but, from the manuals...

J1

The number of shots that can be taken with fully-charged batteries varies with the condition of the battery, temperature, the interval between shots, and the length of time menus are displayed.
Sample figures for EN-EL20 (1020 mAh) batteries are given below.
• Still images: Approximately 230
• Movies: Approximately 70 minutes of HD footage at 1080/60i
Values for still images measured at 25 °C/77 °F with a fullycharged EN-EL20 battery, a 1 NIKKOR VR 10–30mm f/3.5–5.6 lens, and a 16 GB Toshiba 95 W80MB/s UHS-I SDHC card according to the CIPA standard under the following test conditions:
NORMAL-quality photographs taken at intervals of 30s with the flash fired with every other shot and the camera turned off and then on after every ten shots.

V1

The number of shots that can be taken with fully-charged batteries varies with the condition of the battery, temperature, such
factors as the use of GPS devices or other accessories, the interval between shots, and the length of time menus are displayed.
Sample figures for EN-EL15 (1900 mAh) batteries are given below.
• Still images: Approximately 400, or 350 with SB-N5
• Movies: Approximately 120 minutes of HD footage at 1080/60i Values for still images measured at 25 °C/77 °F with a fullycharged
EN-EL15 battery, a 1 NIKKOR VR 10–30mm f/3.5–5.6 lens, and a 16 GB Toshiba R95 W80MB/s UHS-I SDHC card according to the CIPA standard under the following test conditions:
NORMAL-quality photographs taken at intervals of 30 s (measurements for the SB-N5 are made using the flash for every other shot) with the camera turned off and then on after every ten shots.

Sootchucker said:
Count me in as a new V1 user. Just purchased a mint secondhander with only 800 clicks, with the 10-30 and 30-110 zoom lenses, as well as the SB-N5 speedlight and GPS module (all in all a pretty comprehensive kit).

Just waiting for my FT1 to arrive, then I can't wait to test it out with my 300mm F2.8 and converters.

I've also just realised with the FT1, that we already have a 70-200 AFS in the venerable 24-70 F2.8 (well 64.8-189mm) but close enough, that's really portable.

How do you get on with the GPS unit? I've been very tempted to get one of these as the price seems almost sensible

Nothing from real experience (and I wonder who would) but, from the manuals...

J1

The number of shots that can be taken with fully-charged batteries varies with the condition of the battery, temperature, the interval between shots, and the length of time menus are displayed.
Sample figures for EN-EL20 (1020 mAh) batteries are given below.
• Still images: Approximately 230
• Movies: Approximately 70 minutes of HD footage at 1080/60i
Values for still images measured at 25 °C/77 °F with a fullycharged EN-EL20 battery, a 1 NIKKOR VR 10–30mm f/3.5–5.6 lens, and a 16 GB Toshiba 95 W80MB/s UHS-I SDHC card according to the CIPA standard under the following test conditions:
NORMAL-quality photographs taken at intervals of 30s with the flash fired with every other shot and the camera turned off and then on after every ten shots.

V1

The number of shots that can be taken with fully-charged batteries varies with the condition of the battery, temperature, such
factors as the use of GPS devices or other accessories, the interval between shots, and the length of time menus are displayed.
Sample figures for EN-EL15 (1900 mAh) batteries are given below.
• Still images: Approximately 400, or 350 with SB-N5
• Movies: Approximately 120 minutes of HD footage at 1080/60i Values for still images measured at 25 °C/77 °F with a fullycharged
EN-EL15 battery, a 1 NIKKOR VR 10–30mm f/3.5–5.6 lens, and a 16 GB Toshiba R95 W80MB/s UHS-I SDHC card according to the CIPA standard under the following test conditions:
NORMAL-quality photographs taken at intervals of 30 s (measurements for the SB-N5 are made using the flash for every other shot) with the camera turned off and then on after every ten shots.

Yes I spotted those specs - thought it was a long shot that someone may have had both, but thanks anyway.

I'm in a quandary now. I could get the J1 now and keep my GX1 + Panasonic Leica 25mm which is a cracking combination...or I could get the V1 meaning I'd have to sell my existing m4/3 kit. I daren't flog the GX1 yet in case I regret it.

This is a big ask, but would anyone happen to have a couple of RAWs that they wouldn't mind sharing with me, please? I'm thinking maybe load them up into LR and have a crack at them, and see for myself if I'm likely to get a more pleasing picture (to my mind)! At least, if I go the V1 route, I'd be more confident flogging my GX1 kit knowing I'm not just going to buy it again!!

michael23 said:
Have any of you used the high speed capture mode? Just wondering how long it takes to write to the card. Might be tempted to get one. Shame I don't have any nikon glass.

The high speed capture is superb, especially for group shots and action shots. I really like it for group pictures where you can take a number of pictures very quickly and so have a good chance of getting a shot where no-one is blinking or pulling a funny face!

It does take approximately 20/30 seconds to write the files to the card but the ability to take a large number of pictures so quickly outweighs this for me.

Steelfish said:
Yes I spotted those specs - thought it was a long shot that someone may have had both, but thanks anyway.

I'm in a quandary now. I could get the J1 now and keep my GX1 + Panasonic Leica 25mm which is a cracking combination...or I could get the V1 meaning I'd have to sell my existing m4/3 kit. I daren't flog the GX1 yet in case I regret it.

This is a big ask, but would anyone happen to have a couple of RAWs that they wouldn't mind sharing with me, please? I'm thinking maybe load them up into LR and have a crack at them, and see for myself if I'm likely to get a more pleasing picture (to my mind)! At least, if I go the V1 route, I'd be more confident flogging my GX1 kit knowing I'm not just going to buy it again!!

I'm more than happy to let you have some RAW files taken in a variety of conditions. There won't be any works of art there but should give you a good idea of the image quality.

I have used several MFT cameras and, in my opinion, the V1 matches these although the lens options for MFT are far greater. I'll be a very happy chappy if Nikon release some more primes

I'm more than happy to let you have some RAW files taken in a variety of conditions. There won't be any works of art there but should give you a good idea of the image quality.

I have used several MFT cameras and, in my opinion, the V1 matches these although the lens options for MFT are far greater. I'll be a very happy chappy if Nikon release some more primes

That would be fantastic, thank you! I have a shared dropbox folder I could send you an invite to?

Yes I agree with you on the lens options, although the lenses I've seen for the demo unit felt like decent quality for kit lenses. I'm sure being Nikon they will be thinking about some better primes than the single pancake they have now.

Joe

The kit lenses are easily the best I've seen on a CSC especially the 30-110 which is amazingly compact and has great IQ

The high speed capture is superb, especially for group shots and action shots. I really like it for group pictures where you can take a number of pictures very quickly and so have a good chance of getting a shot where no-one is blinking or pulling a funny face!

It does take approximately 20/30 seconds to write the files to the card but the ability to take a large number of pictures so quickly outweighs this for me.

Thanks very much fpr the treply. The processing time is surprising, I wouldn't be bothered about that at all.

Can anyone give me any info on the adapter thats needed to make a J1 use the AF-S lens lineup? I'm moving my DSLR to nikon from canon and my girlfriend owns a J1 (pink!) so it would be beneficial for her if she could use my lenses to get some craaaaazy reach for wildlife shots!

How do you get on with the GPS unit? I've been very tempted to get one of these as the price seems almost sensible

To be honest, with the cr*p weather we've been having here lately, I haven't really had a chance to use it much, other than it took maybe 30 seconds or so to get a 3d lock when I first got it, and seems pretty accurate.

Really does drain the battery quick though. Not sure I'll use it much for shots in the UK, maybe just save it for holidays and trips abroad where I won't necessarily know where I am.

Joe

The kit lenses are easily the best I've seen on a CSC especially the 30-110 which is amazingly compact and has great IQ

From those RAWs you kindly shared with me you weren't kidding!! Minus some DoF I'd say they're as good as (if not better) than the GX1 + 14mm pancake.

I think I'm going to go for a V1 (and will have to flog my PL25 to part fund it), but I feel it's worth it. Thanks again Dave, you've been a great help.

Well Joe, I have a GX1 and a V1 stood on my desk and have used them both over the last few weeks. One is going, and it's the GX1. A fine camera to be sure, but I seem to be getting similar image quality from the V1 (minus a bit of resolution - 10mp vs 16mp), but in a lighter smaller easier to carry package. I did consider the EVF for the GX1 but at nearly £200 didn't bother, the beauty of the V1 is that it's built in, and one of the best EVF's I've ever used.

Well Joe, I have a GX1 and a V1 stood on my desk and have used them both over the last few weeks. One is going, and it's the GX1. A fine camera to be sure, but I seem to be getting similar image quality from the V1 (minus a bit of resolution - 10mp vs 16mp), but in a lighter smaller easier to carry package. I did consider the EVF for the GX1 but at nearly £200 didn't bother, the beauty of the V1 is that it's built in, and one of the best EVF's I've ever used.

That's good to know. Hopefully I'll have recovered from the financial blow by the time Nikon release some decent, fast native primes.

Noticed the white body seems to be cheaper at most places. That's going to be difficult to sneak past the wife without her noticing!

Steelfish said:
From those RAWs you kindly shared with me you weren't kidding!! Minus some DoF I'd say they're as good as (if not better) than the GX1 + 14mm pancake.

I think I'm going to go for a V1 (and will have to flog my PL25 to part fund it), but I feel it's worth it. Thanks again Dave, you've been a great help.

Thanks Joe

I have to admit that I was quite amazed when I first saw the RAW files that the V1 produces

If you have a copy of Capture NX2 the colour reproduction is fabulous - especially with the Landscape picture control.

I considered the V1 when it first came out but stupidly listened to all the doomsayers bemoaning the lack if resolution and the small sensor. However 10mp is plenty for me and the sensor is top notch, although as you rightly point out, getting shallow DOF can be an issue. The major advantage of the sensor is that it enables the lenses to be very compact.

I freely admit to terrible wanderlust with my camera outfits over the years but I've had the V1 for a while now (by my standards). I'm also taking more pictures than before which is what it's all about. Just need to learn to take some decent ones now!

Let me know how you get on

Dave

Add me to another happy 1 series owner :)
Finding it to be a great family day out camera.

Here are a selection of my snaps:

My sand castle
7793504876_dfae325245_b.jpg

Standing tall
7793506096_095b81e65d_b.jpg

Mum and baby
7793507534_7e12665dbf_b.jpg

Football on the beach
7811419446_8f123b29b5_b.jpg

Take off
7793505140_0b1405e959_b.jpg

Last edited:
And a few more ..

Margate beach 1
7793506640_5ffd5ed215_b.jpg

Margate beach 2
7793508440_0d2cf541c3_b.jpg

Heron Tower
7793503854_b0664c4e9b_b.jpg

Food
7793504202_0cebb4e6bc_b.jpg

Drink
7793504660_fc4da72b37_b.jpg

michael23 said:
Is there much difference between the raw and jpeg files?

I had chance to look at the v1 and j1 with a very helpful nikon chap. I love the v1! But really cant stretch to it. So thinking j1 and 10-30. It really does look to be an excellent camera.

How big do you find the v1 compared to the j1 in the hand? None of my local stores stock the v1 (the one I want due to battery and evf).

Back