Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

Got back from holiday yesterday and discovered one thing about my V2 - the casing isn't the best. Dropped it from about a foot high on to concrete and it broke, busting the corner and snapping the casing :(

Still works fine though but bloody annoying!

Glue and tape it all up roughly and go for the well used camera look.

I hope it carries on giving good service despite the battle scars.

:D

well" got a nikon j5 secondhand , seems lik a nice camera, don't seem to much of problem without viewfinder, works ok with 300mm afs and converter, wont work with sigma 150-600 or nikon 500mm afs plus sigma 180mm macro.
I thought it would have worked with the 500mm nikon, being similar to the 300mm afs?

The following NIKKOR lenses cannot be used with Nikon 1 J5
  • AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II
  • AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II
  • AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II
  • AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR
  • AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED
  • AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED
  • AF Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 IF-ED
  • AF-I Nikkor 300mm f/2.8D IF-ED
  • AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8D IF-ED
  • AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8D IF-ED II
  • AF-S VR Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • AF-I Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D IF-ED
  • AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D IF-ED
  • AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D IF-ED II
  • AF-I Nikkor 500mm f/4D IF-ED
  • AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D IF-ED
  • AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D IF-ED II
  • AF-I Nikkor 600mm f/4D IF-ED
  • AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4D IF-ED
  • AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4D IF-ED II
  • Nikkor 500mm f/4 P IF-ED
  • Zoom-Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8 P IF-ED

I've just managed tp pick up a V2 but discounted the J5 due to compatibility issues, particularly with the 500 f4.

I thought it would have worked with the 500mm nikon, being similar to the 300mm afs

What's the max aperture Mark? Could be not enough light perhaps?

I've just managed tp pick up a V2 but discounted the J5 due to compatibility issues, particularly with the 500 f4.

Ah well, bang goes my theory then! Angle of view? Down-rated AF points.....? Must be some generic reason

As list above it won't work with some f2.8 lenses :(

It's meant to be the weight of the lens that is the restriction, The V series have a maximum lens weight advisory (which is less than the weight of the Nikon 1 cx 70-300 !!). The assumption is that with the maybe less robust build of the J5, Nikon decided not to risk people putting heavy lenses on it, by disabling their use.

I can't remember now (it was extensively discussed in various places when the J5 came out) whether Nikon ever actually said this somewhere, or whether its a Nikon 1 urban myth.

I took my Tamron 70-200 2.8 on holiday with me, for some light birding, to use with my V2.

I tried it out before I went and didn't get any error messages at all when mounted on the camera/FT1 adapter.

However, when I got there, the AF was terrible! It wouldn't lock on to anything. Well, maybe once out of about 20 times and I had to adjust the bit extra by focusing manually.

My Nikon 300mm 2.8 locks on instantly, so just a heads up to people looking to pair theirs with Tamron lenses. Check first (y)

The Nikon V2 arrived this morning, a used model with just over 2000 clicks.
It is laid out a lot better than the V1 (IMO) but looking into the battery chamber it seems to look a bit 'tinny', though I suspect it is solid enough.
Will be testing it out properly later in the week but any hints/tips for best results in use will be most welcome. :)

It is laid out a lot better than the V1 (IMO) but looking into the battery chamber it seems to look a bit 'tinny', though I suspect it is solid enough.
Will be testing it out properly later in the week but any hints/tips for best results in use will be most welcome. :)

Hope it works well for you. if you decide to go with it expro battery's work well :D

Hope it works well for you. if you decide to go with it expro battery's work well :D
Thanks Mike, I see they are only a bit over £6 a piece as well ... do you have the CX 70-300?

Thanks Mike, I see they are only a bit over £6 a piece as well ... do you have the CX 70-300?

No, i sort of wanted it because its a good performer but decided it was too short to spend that much money on.

Equivalent to 810mm on the 1 series though.

I used the 70-300 afs a few times but where i go for small birds i just cant get close enough for that, when i could manage the 150-600 i used my Sigma C on it, hoping to use my 100-400 later in the year possibly with the 1.4.

I find the auto settings quite reliable ( ISO & WB) I set auto iso 100-6500, spot focus.
and prefer the nikon 300mm f4 to all the other lenses, with or without the converter.

First few photos from the V2, seems to work well :)

Glad you like it gramps, do you find it better to hold/grip than the V1 as well ? :)

Glad you like it gramps, do you find it better to hold/grip than the V1 as well ? :)
Only having used it with the 300 PF or 500 f4 I didn't really find any difference because my handling is of the lens rather than the camera, though the layout of the camera is much better. However I just picked up a nice Nikon 1 30-110 (delivered yesterday from Camera Jungle ... they had 3 marked 'Excellent' at £110 and 1 marked 'Mint' at £78 so I went for the 'Mint'!) and it's definitely better with that so I might look out for a 70-300 CX

Hi Roger,

Are these taken with the 300mm PF?
Wez

Yes all with the 300 PF ... gloomy morning but occasional peep from the sun, as the Lapwing shot shows. :)

Last edited:
Only having used it with the 300 PF or 500 f4 I didn't really find any difference because my handling is of the lens rather than the camera, though the layout of the camera is much better. However I just picked up a nice Nikon 1 30-110 (delivered yesterday from Camera Jungle ... they had 3 marked 'Excellent' at £110 and 1 marked 'Mint' at £78 so I went for the 'Mint'!) and it's definitely better with that so I might look out for a 70-300 CX

Yes all with the 300 PF ... gloomy morning but occasional peep from the sun, as the Lapwing shot shows. :)

Nice, the 30-110 should be a very nice lens, if you can manage all that weight :D

There is a 70-300CX on Ebay now from France £565 delivered that's cheaper than I got mine ;)

There is a 70-300CX on Ebay now from France £565 delivered that's cheaper than I got mine ;)
I saw that but it's got a mark on the front element ... I'm keeping my eye out though and there are still some new about.

V2 with the 30-110.

Female Pintail.

DSC_0010.jpg

Pigeon taking cover in nettles!

DSC_0016.jpg

Checked my V2 against with the 200-500 - very disappointed. Huge back focus issue :(

V2-3.jpg

V2-4.jpg

That's annoying, no adjustment options either. :(

Tell me about it. Do I send it your calibration or use MF? At least the rest of my kit I can MA (which I had done as always) but still annoying.

I thought the V2 used on sensor focus points, if so there should be no back or front focus issues, i think :confused:

I thought the V2 used on sensor focus points, if so there should be no back or front focus issues, i think :confused:

You would think so but all the images that I took with the V2 show strong evidence of back-focussing.

Resurrecting this thread with a photo taken last week with my Nikon 1 V2, FT-1 adapter and Nikon 300 f4 PF.
I couldn't take my 200-500 with me so this was an alternative lightweight option and for static subjects it worked very well (BIF was very me-dependant!) :)

Starling.jpg

Back