Nikon AF-S 200–500mm f/5.6E ED VR

Edit My Images
Yes
Seeing as there is a couple of threads for the some of the other super zooms. I'd start on for this one. So people could share their images. Ask questions or share their thoughts.

I recently got mine to use with my d500.
I'll post a few pics later on but in the mean time the more the merrier

Oooh good, just what I've come on to search for. Would this lens be good enough to cover cricket matches with along with a D850? a 500mm f4 is well out of my budget but this is a little more palatable (and would avoid my wife castrating me!)

Oooh good, just what I've come on to search for. Would this lens be good enough to cover cricket matches with along with a D850? a 500mm f4 is well out of my budget but this is a little more palatable (and would avoid my wife castrating me!)

I haven't tried it on my d750 which is fx. So I'm not sure about distance tbh. Perhaps @gramps couldn't answer that as he has that combo and is very helpful

Haha love the little shelduck one.

Did you have to do any fine tuning on the d850 with this combo.

Initially I didn't do any but later found it needed +12, (at 500mm), however recently I have felt it needs doing again so will get Focal out to check it again at some stage. :)

If you were thinking of using a 500mm for cricket then the 200-500 would be fine.
It would give you the 500mm but also the flexibility of being able to zoom back for a wider view as and when required.
It isn't a 500 f4 prime but it is very, very good for the cost and a considerable saving on weight as well as cost.

Pretty happy with mine for airshows, zoos and occasional wildlife. Used on a D500 and D750 and makes a very nice combination either way:

dsc_8600-edit-edit.jpg

:)

Just got back home after picking up my new D500 and 200-500mm f5.6.
I’m delighted this thread has been started, and I look forward to posting some images.

Couple of shots from RIAT 2018 at Fairford, both using the 200-500mm f5.6 on the D500:

43435458511_4e922f6d69_b.jpg

43435464661_540ccab832_b.jpg

GC

I use the 200-500mm with the D500.
Is anyone using the TC-14 ll or lll with the lens, and what’s your opinion on loss of usability and image quality?
Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Back