Nikon D3S - due three weeks time.

breaking news from...

Grays of Westminster

NIKON LAUNCHES D3S, THE ULTIMATE CAMERA FOR PROFESSIONAL NEWS, SPORTS, AND WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHERS

D3S redraws the boundaries for fast paced extreme photography

RRP: £4199.99 inc. VAT
Sales start date: December 2009

Nikon today announces the introduction of the D3S, the camera that enables professionals to take control of the unpredictable and extends the possibilities for action photographers everywhere. Built upon the widely acclaimed Nikon D3, the D3S advances low light photography to another level and sets in motion new creative options for multi-media movie shooting.

Seeing in the dark

Simon Stafford highlights some features of the new D3s, a camera that pushes the boundaries of available low-light photography even further than is predecessor the D3, and incorporates a video recording feature to provide the professional news, sports, and wildlife photographer with a tool of unsurpassed qualities.

The Nikon Corporation has announced the replacement of the highly innovative, multi-award winning Nikon D3, The D3, introduced during late 2007, is credited with reversing the fortunes of the company in the professional D-SLR market virtually overnight thanks to its speed of operation, outstanding image quality, especially at high ISO settings, which allied to its highly effective metering, autofocus, and white balance systems won it wide acclaim. The impact of the D3 was such that it convinced many professional photographers to switch their allegiance to Nikon from other brands of camera. Now, building up on these strengths, the D3s raises the bar in a number of areas, most notably the ISO sensitivity range, and the ability to record both still and video images, while other improvements enhance and expand operation of the new model.

In essence the D3s combines everything that works so well on the D3 with some new innovations and refinements of its own.

___

For a full review on the new Nikon D3s go to our website and look under News on the menu bar, or use the following link:

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=267&pg=1&mem=&arc=0

Pre Orders

We are now accepting orders. Please contact us to put your name on our waiting list and please also mention if you are a Nikon Owner Subscriber.

Kindest regards,

Tabitha Hardy

Grays of Westminster - Exclusively... Nikon 40 Churton Street Pimlico London SW1V 2LP
Tel: +44 020 7828 4925
Fax: +44 020 7976 5783
Website: http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/ <http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/>

Not as big a deal as thought.

720p is a bit crap too but then again Nikon arent a video company where Canon have been doing it for years in succession.

Would have liked to see more done in the dynamic range areas rather than the low light as the D3/D700 is already pretty much perfect in that respect I think anyway.

Looks really nice, but jeez that price is madness imo. Cant believe a D700 is less than half price... Still might save up for one though!!!! :D :wacky:

Well, I was a week out on the announcement. Close, no cigar.

The next big thing? mmmm, I have seen it but cant talk about it. Yet. ha ha ha....

If it costs £1200 extra then I'm going to re-think and perhaps be in the market for a D3 (If I can still get hold of one, been waiting for this D3s) The upgrades look good but dust removal, 720p video and higher iso range won't cut the £1200 price extra for many D3 owners who are perfectly happy with their Nikon.

Ed :)

Ed - Park Cameras have just lowered the D3 to £2800 with free CF card and Lowepro bag. Here:-

http://www.parkcameras.com/7419/Nikon-D3.html

HTH

Ryan

I've just seen this:) Thanks for your help - it caught my eye. I just don't want to kick myself when this d3s is out in a few weeks and there is another price drop again.. Although £2800 is very respectable :)

Thanks Ryan..

Ed - Park Cameras have just lowered the D3 to £2800 with free CF card and Lowepro bag. Here:-

Now that is starting to become tempting :)

I'd been thinking about getting a D3 and making my D700 a second body. Trouble is do you hang on for the price to drop further, or will they sell out
before then?

Does any one know if production of the D3 has actually stopped?

Apparently production has stopped which in my eyes is madness, they're shooting themselves in the foot by making the d3s so damned expensive for very little extra. I was almost at the point of purchasing a D3 but I can't justify the D3s as I have no interest in shooting video or images at a million asa

I've just seen this:) Thanks for your help - it caught my eye. I just don't want to kick myself when this d3s is out in a few weeks and there is another price drop again.. Although £2800 is very respectable :)

Thanks Ryan..

There may well be more price drops but apparently stock of the D3 is already very low around the world.

That higher ISO performance better be good because so far it looks like it's gonna cost me £1400! :eek:

Now that is starting to become tempting :)

I'd been thinking about getting a D3 and making my D700 a second body. Trouble is do you hang on for the price to drop further, or will they sell out
before then?

Does any one know if production of the D3 has actually stopped?

I'm exactly in the same boat and actually concerned that if Nikon has stopped production of the D3 I should snap one of these up.. tbh the Nikon D3s for an exta £1200 doesn't float my boat... The D3 is capable for what I need..

TO wait or not to wait...

Amazon (just now)

Only 5 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).

I wonder if more really are on the way :)

tbh the Nikon D3s for an exta £1200 doesn't float my boat... The D3 is capable for what I need..

Exactly !!

Park Cameras is only 50 mins from here, and it's my day off.

Damn you Ryanyboy ;)

Wondering if I put my credit card through a mangle, I could squeeze some more money out of it :naughty:

Well after several minutes thought I've just ordered a D3 through Park cameras :bonk:

Hope Park Cameras are reading this. Please send my back hander to..........

;)

Happy to have helped relieve you of your dosh guys :LOL:

I've said this before, but I'll say it again...

The D3s has only just been released, it is being sold at close to the retail price ( just like the D3, D300s, or in fact any new release ) because it's new... The price will drop once supply is stable and the mad rush to buy has subsided, and then it will be priced on the street much closer to the pre sale prices of the D3.

Pete

Like the D3x price has dropped like mad yeah :cautious:

I've said this before, but I'll say it again...

The D3s has only just been released, it is being sold at close to the retail price ( just like the D3, D300s, or in fact any new release ) because it's new... The price will drop once supply is stable and the mad rush to buy has subsided, and then it will be priced on the street much closer to the pre sale prices of the D3.

Pete

I'm going to resist the temptation for 2 weeks and see how it pans out, if Park Cameras have dropped their prices then surely others may follow suit. I know Jessops D3 was priced at £3k a few weeks back, then it's back at just over £3.1k....

I know I really want one but departing with 3K is not easy for me, it's one of those choices which has to be right... Yes you can ponder and ponder and if the money is there then go for it but if you can save yourself £100-£200 by waiting a couple of weeks I'll do it!

What next the D700S ?

Yes, remembering that the D3 and D300 came out at the same time, the D700 was maybe a 10 months later... so D700s next... unless we get the cut down non-pro bodied D3X before that (D700x or D800x or whatever you want to call it).

Yes, remembering that the D3 and D300 came out at the same time, the D700 was maybe a 10 months later... so D700s next... unless we get the cut down non-pro bodied D3X before that (D700x or D800x or whatever you want to call it).

Just trying to get some early price drops on the outdated D700 :naughty:

Not that old turkey again....

but the so called AF issue is starting to bounce around as "the truth" because one person on here constantly refers to it without being able to produce anything like a scientific test to define it or introduce me to the hoard of "pro togs" who know all about it too.

:LOL: I'm guessing that's me then, mention it in two relevant threads and I'm constantly referring to it am I?

I have no "scientific test to define" because my issues with the 70-200 are born from everyday professional use at the highest level of sport photography where I believe there are holes in its AF performance.

Please don't get so upset about an opinion, I'm sure there are many pros and amateurs alike that have never had a problem with it but from my own experience and from talking with fellow pro's during my working time it is an issue (a small issue, but remember if we miss focus on a goal or a cele we can't just wait till they come round for the next lap). Over and out :)

Oh and to stay on track, the D3s looks great but just not enough of an upgrade for me and Diego you still owe my that Latte!

Brand new D3 here - boxed (I have another one for the salt water stuff - ropey!) if they go out of stock I might have my arm twisted.....should be worth at least £5000 on celebrity status alone!

The D3 will produce more than saleable shots for me for the next lord knows how long - the limit is the print screen resolution and as the D3 is about 5x that already any more overkill is just using computer space for nothing. I wonder if there will be a bit of an in-body upgrade for the D3, like there was for the D2X......there will be many, many pros out there for whom the D3 is more than enough camera already - the D4 might have a few added extras, but to be fair, I don't use 70% of what is on the D3. I like the speed of response. I like the resolution and dynamic range, and the D-lighting thing. The handling is much the same across the range - same buttons in same places. battery life is awesome. I can go away for a week without needing to take a charger, just a spare box of sparks. Think I will save my limited brain power for the image end rather than worrying about the box that stores it for me.

:LOL: I'm guessing that's me then, mention it in two relevant threads and I'm constantly referring to it am I?

I have no "scientific test to define" because my issues with the 70-200 are born from everyday professional use at the highest level of sport photography where I believe there are holes in its AF performance.

Please don't get so upset about an opinion, I'm sure there are many pros and amateurs alike that have never had a problem with it but from my own experience and from talking with fellow pro's during my working time it is an issue (a small issue, but remember if we miss focus on a goal or a cele we can't just wait till they come round for the next lap). Over and out :)

Oh and to stay on track, the D3s looks great but just not enough of an upgrade for me and Diego you still owe my that Latte!

I have some time off in first week of Nov Dan. Lets book something! (y)

RRP is £6k for the D3x, so it's selling at £1200-1300 less than list currently.

But in real terms hasn't actually dropped much since last year when it was released. The RRP has just gone up :bonk::bonk::bonk:

I know that I can buy one today for exactly the same price i bought it for in Feb - still can't beat that price by much.

But nothing really sells at rrp anyway, quoting that doesn't mean much.

For example Stuart at digital depot is already looking to discount to tp members

Woah - they are discontinuing the D700?

(from that article above)

The new Nikon D3s is ranked right below, being a 12 Megapixel digital SLR for the photo journalist, sports and nature photographer. Followed by the Nikon D700, a compact version of the Nikon D3 which will be discontinued as soon as the Nikon D3s becomes available.

Back