Nikon D3xxx owners thread

I don't think optically there is much difference if any without pixel peeping, then I don't know what the difference might be.
focussing the afp is probably a little faster and obviously more reaches if these are the most important then go for the afp,
be interested in what you think when you try them.
am going to hold off till you check back and buy the 50mm 1.8g tomorrow.

You can pick it up from mpb for under £200, not sure how much it is new as I haven't looked at that lens, just noticed it while skimming through today.
I will keep my eyes open and if I spot one, I just might buy it. Provided I have the spare cash that is. :)

It depends on your subject.
I don't do wildlife or birds on sticks :)

Yea, I'm not huge on birds or sticks either.

I'm more into Landscape and travel - would i be better off investing in a wide/ultra wide specifically for my landscapes?

I do however find that the standard lens I have (18-55) doesn't have quite enough zoom for my liking.. Even when fully extended I don't feel like I'm quite close enough to the subject.

I would definitely get one, if it was John lewis who had them at £115.97. Wonder if they will price match?

actually I'm wondering do I really need one lol
I am getting by with the kit lens pretty well, as I am mainly at the 24mm end. If I need more oomph I will throw the 35mm 1.8g on and that will generally give me more crispness. Just an idea to use the 55-200 for people shots, my last one produced pretty good results. I do not really need one, but at that price.

I am getting by with the kit lens pretty well, as I am mainly at the 24mm end. If I need more oomph I will throw the 35mm 1.8g on and that will generally give me more crispness. Just an idea to use the 55-200 for people shots, my last one produced pretty good results. I do not really need one, but at that price.
that was my idea for portraits but I feel I will get good results with the 50mm

that was my idea for portraits but I feel I will get good results with the 50mm
I have tried my old 50mm 1.8D on the D3300 and the results were pretty good. It was a very neat and small package, almost had the feel of a compact camera. Just manual focus was hard work.

sorry for the noob question, im looking at getting a new lens for my d3400 is there a big difference between af-s and af-p as ive been looking at the 55-200 and it only seems to be in af-s

The AF-S lens has a "silent wave" motor in the actual lens and this allows it to focus smoothly and silently but the AF-P lens has a newer focussing motor which is a "pulse" motor and are apparently even quieter than the AF-S so are even better if you are likely to shoot videos.
Some people think the AF-S is better because it locks onto focus quicker. I have both the kit lens and the 55-200 lens and notice no difference in this aspect.
On my D3300 I have a AF-P kit lens, it has no switch to change between manual and autofocus and no VR on or off switch unlike other lenses but you can toggle these on and off in the camera menus.
AF-S is probably only available in the 55-200 because they hav'nt switched over to making these with the pulse motor but its still a very good lens.

sorry for the noob question, im looking at getting a new lens for my d3400 is there a big difference between af-s and af-p as ive been looking at the 55-200 and it only seems to be in af-s
I prefer the switches on the AF-S lenses for switching VR and MF/AF. The new stepping motors in the AF-P lenses are quieter and supposedly quicker to focus, but I can't see the difference being noticeable unless you have higher end bodies anyway.

On my D3300 I have a AF-P kit lens, it has no switch to change between manual and autofocus and no VR on or off switch unlike other lenses but you can toggle these on and off in the camera menus.
Just to note ... the lack of switches (for M/A focus and VR on/off) isn't a characteristic of AF-P lenses as such; as the 70-300 FX version does have M/A focussing and VR on/off.

Someone was asking earlier about the D3200 with AF-P lenses ... its my understanding these don't work on D3200 (essentially nothing introduced before about 2013)
"The current list of full compatibility is D500, D3300, D3400, D5300, and D5500 (but make sure that you’re using the latest firmware). The following cameras have no way to set VR and may change focus position if the camera’s meter goes inactive (requiring you to re-obtain focus): Df, D5200, D7100, D7200, D750, and D810. All other Nikon DSLRs should be considered completely incompatible with this lens. Further note that this is a fly-by-wire lens, so while it may appear to mount on those other Nikon DSLRs, you can’t focus the lens manually, thus the incompatibility warning."

Just to note ... the lack of switches (for M/A focus and VR on/off) isn't a characteristic of AF-P lenses as such; as the 70-300 FX version does have M/A focussing and VR on/off.

Someone was asking earlier about the D3200 with AF-P lenses ... its my understanding these don't work on D3200 (essentially nothing introduced before about 2013)
"The current list of full compatibility is D500, D3300, D3400, D5300, and D5500 (but make sure that you’re using the latest firmware). The following cameras have no way to set VR and may change focus position if the camera’s meter goes inactive (requiring you to re-obtain focus): Df, D5200, D7100, D7200, D750, and D810. All other Nikon DSLRs should be considered completely incompatible with this lens. Further note that this is a fly-by-wire lens, so while it may appear to mount on those other Nikon DSLRs, you can’t focus the lens manually, thus the incompatibility warning."
I think the lack of switches seems to be on the DX AF-P lenses. The potential for problems with the AF-P lenses on my D5200 has made me decide to avoid them until there is a proper firmware update that addresses the issues fully.

Not only would I like that zoom lens above, I would also love a flash gun. I borrowed a Nikon SB 900 and after using it, I wanted one. So many camera related stuff I want, but too many household bills and limited cash. :(

I think at the moment I'm happy with 18-55 and 50, the longer lens might get used a few times but think I could live without it

Back