Nikon D5

Are WEX getting confused? ;)

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-06%20at%2014.41.52_zpsqik3lfwh.png

I have the D4s and, as much as I love it, many of the features are overkill for me as a portrait and wedding photographer. However if some if the features (read focus points and AF) filter down to a camera like the D750 (which has a frankly rubbish focus points spread) then I'll be a very happy camper.

I have the D4s and, as much as I love it, many of the features are overkill for me as a portrait and wedding photographer. However if some if the features (read focus points and AF) filter down to a camera like the D750 (which has a frankly rubbish focus points spread) then I'll be a very happy camper.
I thought the spread was the same ? do you mean concentration?

I thought the spread was the same ? do you mean concentration?
I thought the D5 was slightly wider than the D810 but in fact the comparison Twist posted was the D5 vs D4, I'm not sure how the D4 compares to the D810/D750 though? The D810 is slightly wider than the D750 so if the D5 is as wide/slightly wider than the D810 it'll obviously be wider than the D750. For FF I think the AF spread on the D750 is pretty good tbh, although I too wish it was a bit wider as I was used to the spread of the A77-II which is very wide.

I thought the D5 was slightly wider than the D810 but in fact the comparison Twist posted was the D5 vs D4, I'm not sure how the D4 compares to the D810/D750 though? The D810 is slightly wider than the D750 so if the D5 is as wide/slightly wider than the D810 it'll obviously be wider than the D750. For FF I think the AF spread on the D750 is pretty good tbh, although I too wish it was a bit wider as I was used to the spread of the A77-II which is very wide.

As I said previously the D4s is a lot wider than the D750 in terms of the spread of focus points. I briefly owned a D600 which was even worse.

As I said previously the D4s is a lot wider than the D750 in terms of the spread of focus points. I briefly owned a D600 which was even worse.
OK thanks, so the D5 will be considerably wider than the D750 then. I did just find a standalone viewfinder pic of the D4s and it didn't look any wider than the D750, just shows how you need overlays to know for sure. Have you seen the AF spread on the new D500? Insane :)

https://photographylife.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-nikon-d500

Not sure I like the new button layout. AE/AF-L has gone from the back and a third button has appeared on the front... I find the front buttons really awkward!

Edit... just noticed the addition of a new fn3 button rear bottom left... that could be handy!

Last edited:
OK thanks, so the D5 will be considerably wider than the D750 then. I did just find a standalone viewfinder pic of the D4s and it didn't look any wider than the D750, just shows how you need overlays to know for sure. Have you seen the AF spread on the new D500? Insane :)

https://photographylife.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-nikon-d500

I think this, from that link you posted, will be a godsend;

It turns out that both Nikon D500 and D5 have a brand new “Auto AF Fine Tune” feature, which after achieving focus in live view, automatically adjusts AF Fine Tune settings for the attached lens. And you can apparently do this with only a few button operations! This looks extremely promising, because fine tuning lenses has historically been a painful experience, requiring specific tools and lots of wasted time. I can only imagine how cool it would be to instantly calibrate lenses on the fly when I work with a subject, for that particular focusing distance!

I think this, from that link you posted, will be a godsend;

It turns out that both Nikon D500 and D5 have a brand new “Auto AF Fine Tune” feature, which after achieving focus in live view, automatically adjusts AF Fine Tune settings for the attached lens. And you can apparently do this with only a few button operations! This looks extremely promising, because fine tuning lenses has historically been a painful experience, requiring specific tools and lots of wasted time. I can only imagine how cool it would be to instantly calibrate lenses on the fly when I work with a subject, for that particular focusing distance!
Yeah, I've discussed this elsewhere actually. It will be a godsend if it does it perfectly. I do wonder if it will be one adjustment per lens as we have now, or whether the auto tuning will be able to take care of multiple focal lengths.

I think the most interesting new feature is the focus point coverage, if it works, it'll make it worthwhile for me. I didn't upgrade from my D3s to the D4s as the difference wasn't worth it for me, but now things are looking a little different. Calumet are doing 'try before you buy', so think I'll take up the offer, and see how it goes ;-)

Last edited:
1.4kg for just the body! Imagine lugging two of those around at a wedding..

Another Impressive piece of kit for the pro !
But if I was sticking with Nikon its little brother the D500 would be my choice as I'm trying to lighten the load of my gear at this time :(
Hence the move to a Fuji X system !
Is the right choice ? only time will tell.

Another Impressive piece of kit for the pro !
But if I was sticking with Nikon its little brother the D500 would be my choice as I'm trying to lighten the load of my gear at this time :(
Hence the move to a Fuji X system !
Is the right choice ? only time will tell.
At the current prices I'd probably still go for the D7200 over the D500 tbh

Yep very useful. Interesting that they've reduced the number of options in lock on tracking. Also, it still surprises me that they bring out new models without a tilt screen, such a useful feature. I guess they will say it's for robustness but I'd have thought they could figure out something ;)

Definitely for robustness.

At the current prices I'd probably still go for the D7200 over the D500 tbh
I agree it's a case of waiting for prices to drop as they all demand a premium price when first released on sale !

I agree it's a case of waiting for prices to drop as they all demand a premium price when first released on sale !
Yep agreed. I must admit I scoffed at the price of the 7D2 when it was released as I was comparing it to the D7200, but maybe the 7D2 is more of a D500 type of camera (albeit with a shocking sensor :p)

Very interesting ... what is 'watch area menu'?
Can't see anywhere the difference in buffer capability etc between XQD and CF media.
The buffer is always the same regardless of media used.It is only the rate of clearance from the buffer that changes depending on how fast the media can write.

The D4s is lighter than the D3s .I am at a loss ast ot where the extra 300grams have come from on the D5 ?

The D4s is lighter than the D3s .I am at a loss ast ot where the extra 300grams have come from on the D5 ?
The D5 is only 55g heavier than the D4s (1350g vs 1405g with battery and card)

I know it ha been posted in its own thread, but those interested in the D5 may miss it.

I read an article by Ole J Liodden about using the D5 to shoot 50,000 images. :eek: This site goes into a bit more detail about the D5 than anything I have read yet here. ISO performance seems very good, even using only Jpegs.

He talks of file sizes and use with a 95Mbs CF card.

"File size (NEF uncompressed) on the Nikon D5 camera is 42-45 MB and 10-14 MB for jpg-files (highest quality)."

"The buffer capacity is also very good. With an «old» Sandisk Extreme Pro 90 MB/s card I can shoot 63 NEF-files (RAW Large) continuously, and it takes 23 second for the camera to write all files to the CF card and be ready for a new «full burst». With Jpg (highest quality) I get 163 continuous images (12 images / second) before the buffer is full, then it takes 15 seconds to write everything to the CF-card, and the camera is ready for another 163 series of images. The writing speed should be even better with newer and faster CF or XQD cards."

I was interested as I am hoping to get the D500 and hope what he says about the buffer and AF can directly transpose onto the D500.

Gah... I was going to resist for a few months but I couldn't help myself and have put my name on the NPS list at Grays! Fingers crossed we won't get any of the usual early adopter 'issues'!

I'm trying to stay away...I think the D5 will make it "too easy"... no challenge and boring...
The day it can set up my lights for me, talk to and direct my subjects, compose the shot and choose the exact moment to fire... Then I might start to agree with you! Maybe they'll have all that when the D9 comes out...

Back