Nikon D5

Lol, the D500 is an impressive Piece of kit but I know the difference. In all honesty, who knows !

Yeah, sorry. I didn't mean to sound like it did. No Offence. :)

Just edited my last post, with a screenshot of my email.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry. I didn't mean to sound like it did. No Offence. :)

Just edited my last post, with a screenshot of my email.

Absolutely none taken :)

I sometimes wonder if the Nikon team at these shows have had any sort of briefing. One young lady who was very polite did remark that wasn't an technician and couldn't answer my question but helpfully directed me to someone who could.

Well I'm looking forward to hearing what it's like and some sample pictures please :)

I didn't pre-order which I probably should have, at the show they said if I hadnt already ordered it would be May or June before there is any more.

I didn't pre-order which I probably should have, at the show they said if I hadnt already ordered it would be May or June before there is any more.

Possibly mixed blessings :)

Well its arrived. Nice surprise. It has come with a Sony 32gb xqd card and reader, in the Nikon box.
I seem to remember they did the same with the D4.
This time it is the 'G' series card. Faster.

Well its arrived. Nice surprise. It has come with a Sony 32gb xqd card and reader, in the Nikon box.
I seem to remember they did the same with the D4.
This time it is the 'G' series card. Faster.

Ooooh... lovely! Let us know how you get on with it :)

Will be interesting to hear how much of a jump there is from the d4s.

waiting ... waiting....

The silence is deafening!

Yeah, sorry. Been at work since 6.45 am. Only just got home. So not going to have much to tell you.

I have popped another battery in it and gone through the menus. A few changes there. I will try and have a look tomorrow. ( working in the morning)

The boss is a pig. (oops. I am the boss!) :)

Kev.

Found the first thing that annoys me. May not mean much to most people, but the eye piece doesn't seem to unscrew. I always had an extender screwed into my D4s. For rain covers. Also I liked how it moved the body away from your nose/face a bit.
Like I said, may not bother most people. But it was something I liked. Bit reluctant to use force, to see if I can budge it. :(

This explains what I mean......

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/17/nik...e-eyepiece-and-a-built-in-viewfinder-shutter/

Last edited:
Found the first thing that annoys me. May not mean much to most people, but the eye piece doesn't seem to unscrew. I always had an extender screwed into my D4s. For rain covers. Also I liked how it moved the body away from your nose/face a bit.
Like I said, may not bother most people. But it was something I liked. Bit reluctant to use force, to see if I can budge it. :(

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/17/nik...e-eyepiece-and-a-built-in-viewfinder-shutter/
Maybe they'll do different sized eye cups? Through a variety of Nikon adapters I fitted the DK-3 eye cup to my D750, maybe you could do something similar?

Not great though when you spend such a wad on a new toy and there's something that disappoints :(

Last edited:

Hmm, that is a big deal for me. So existing eye piece adaptors that I use with the Think Tank covers won't work? If thats the case, I'll have to hold off till they come out with a new adaptor ;-(

Hmm, that is a big deal for me. So existing eye piece adaptors that I use with the Think Tank covers won't work? If thats the case, I'll have to hold off till they come out with a new adaptor ;-(

Exactly what I use. I have emailed them to ask if it does unscrew. I have tried and inspected it. It doesn't look like it does. Not willing to damage it on my first day. :)

Kev.

Seeing mention that the available cross sensors AF points is very limited for lenses like the 500 f4 VR ... not the sort of AF advantage that I had been looking for.
@kevshore can you confirm from the D5 manual under Cross Sensors?

Seeing mention that the available cross sensors AF points is very limited for lenses like the 500 f4 VR ... not the sort of AF advantage that I had been looking for.
@kevshore can you confirm from the D5 manual under Cross Sensors?
Where've you seen this? I haven't seen anything online and not seen anything in the manual. The only thing I would say is that of the 153 focus points you can 'only' manually select 55.

D5 manual pdf
http://download.nikonimglib.com/archive2/tE2fo000tZZ502ckCEa279d3TS72/D5UM_EU(En)01.pdf

Well found. Wonder why the 500mm is limited?

No idea but all the f4's and above seem to be affected ... not really what I wanted to see as I assume the D500 will be the same.

No idea but all the f4's and above seem to be affected ... not really what I wanted to see as I assume the D500 will be the same.
Well looking at page 99 it's not "all" f4's, but it does appear to be the main telephotos that you'd use with this kind of camera. That being said, it's only the 500's that are limited to the centre cross types, the 200-400's and 600's do at least have one 'strip' of (next to) outer points that are cross type. Better than my camera that has no outer cross types at all :LOL:

So is this a step backwards has the D4s got more cross type points with a 500mm / 600mm 4f?

No, it's an improvement but nothing like I imagine most wildlife togs would have been expecting from the original 153 AF point announcement.
It's certainly set me wondering if, from an AF point of view, there is any benefit to changing my line-up of bodies.

So is this a step backwards has the D4s got more cross type points with a 500mm / 600mm 4f?
No. With the 500mm it has 45 centrally located cross type vs 15 centrally located cross type on the D4s. However, of the 45 you can only select 15, the same 15 as on the D4s. So if you use single point then I guess there'll be no difference as it won't use the full 45. It does have a dedicated AF processor but what difference that makes I don't know.

With the 600mm you do get another 18 cross type towards the edges, 9 on either side although only 5 on either side are selectable.

No, it's an improvement but nothing like I imagine most wildlife togs would have been expecting from the original 153 AF point announcement.
It's certainly set me wondering if, from an AF point of view, there is any benefit to changing my line-up of bodies.
They're probably saving those extra cross points for the D5S! ;)

When I read the the spec, when it was first announced, I understood the extra focus points to mean that we would have a greater spread, like more into the corners of the frame. After chatting to the Nikon Guys at the Photo show, it appears it has no greater spread, just more focus points within the same area, but he did say the D500 had a greater spread of focus points:thinking:

So does this more focus points thing just mean there is less of a gap between the points? it must do if there is no greater spread? if so not that much of a benefit.

If you look back at that Digital Rev 'review' a few posts ago, at 6:20 you can see the group mode af with 9 smaller points compared to the D4S's 4 bigger points... seems very fast and responsive but whether or not it's of any practical improvement in the real world we'll have to wait and see.

There's just no way to make all AF points across the sensor effective at all (max) apertures... at least not with the current PDAF technology. "Cross sensors" are either a single diagonal sensor, or two separate sensors (one vertical and one horizontal)... and those sensing lines require space. Smaller max apertures restrict the image circle at the AF sensor which is why you loose AF points... It looks to me like Nikon is probably using separate vertical/horizontal sensors to create cross sensitivity, which is why some points revert to non-cross operation rather than just being ineffective.

OpTech will probably make an adaptor at some point...

Just got home. Received an email from Nikon NPS, confirming that The round section does unscrew. I will have a go in the morning. At least I now know I wont damage it. :)

We are ok. :) It does unscrew, according to Nikon. I will have a go in the morning...

When I read the the spec, when it was first announced, I understood the extra focus points to mean that we would have a greater spread, like more into the corners of the frame. After chatting to the Nikon Guys at the Photo show, it appears it has no greater spread, just more focus points within the same area, but he did say the D500 had a greater spread of focus points:thinking:
D500 focus points go virtually to the edge of the frame, that's one of the big advantages with crop bodies.

D500 focus points go virtually to the edge of the frame, that's one of the big advantages with crop bodies.
Yeah, not greater "spread" but greater "coverage" because they are covering less area. But I don't really see that as an "advantage" as such... the area with AF points is the same.

Yeah, not greater "spread" but greater "coverage" because they are covering less area. But I don't really see that as an "advantage" as such... the area with AF points is the same.
Won't be an advantage in terms of AF performance I wouldn't have thought, but will be a huge advantage for composition. For example taking pics of runners I have single point AF on the runners' head which means they're quite small in the frame if I want the whole person in shot. Shifting the AF point closer to the edge would mean I could fill more of the frame with the runner.

If we are comparing similar MP sensors, then yeah, because you can't crop the larger sensor down to the same resolution.... if you need that resolution. If the larger sensor has the same pixel density/higher MP's or you don't need as much you could use it in DX mode and it would be about the same.

If we are comparing similar MP sensors, then yeah, because you can't crop the larger sensor down to the same resolution.... if you need that resolution. If the larger sensor has the same pixel density/higher MP's or you don't need as much you could use it in DX mode and it would be about the same.
It would, but framing an FX camera in DX mode is quite tricky when you're capturing moving targets IMO. Plus as you say MPs drop. On my D750 which is 24mp, DX mode is 'only' 10mp, so it will be even less on the D5.

Back