Nikon D5

Never had a physical problem with my XQD cards in the D4 or D4S :)

I've had one Sony XQD card have a piece of plastic fall off. The part that protects the terminals. Still works fine though.

The day it can set up my lights for me, talk to and direct my subjects, compose the shot and choose the exact moment to fire... Then I might start to agree with you! Maybe they'll have all that when the D9 comes out...

With the ISOs the D5 is capable of, you won't need lighting and at 12 FPS and a huge buffer, just machine gun and pick out the decisive moment(s)! ;) :p :D

Oh, and use the build quality to your advantage - club the subjects into submission with the body!

The day it can set up my lights for me, talk to and direct my subjects, compose the shot and choose the exact moment to fire... Then I might start to agree with you! Maybe they'll have all that when the D9 comes out...
What subject where you set up lighting, direct/pose them, and have time to choose/refine the composition benefits from a D5???
That's D810/MF/LF territory...

Very impressive specifications for this camera it's going to be a game changer for surveillance photography virtually seeing in the darkness !!

I was going to buy a D4s at the end of last year but decided to hold off incase the D5 was released soon, so glad that I did it looks awesome :)

Ideally I wanted it for the start of March but it looks like it will be mid march (well amazon US have it as march 15th). Anyway.... I'm now wondering if I'm making the right choice.. I've got a D810 at the moment and want a second camera as I want to get into sports and wildlife photography this year and I figured the D5 would be the ideal choice.

With the D500 out soon also and a lot cheaper I'm wondering if that may be the better option... my heart is telling me to get the D5 but my wallet is saying the D500. What do you reckon? I know people on the canon side who have 1DX's yet use the 7D's a lot because of the crop factor.

If your wallet is a consideration then you might want to think about what you will pair with your D5 ... wildlife in particular requires reach in 99% of circumstances, do you have a suitable lens? If the ISO capability of the D500 is anything like the spec leads us to believe, (only time will tell!), then the D500 should be perfect as it immediately gives you a 1.5 advantage but it takes you into XQD and different media if that matters.
I sold my D4S and bought a D810 & D7200 and I wouldn't swap back, though I could be persuaded to replace the D7200 with a D500 if the hype proves realistic :)

If your wallet is a consideration then you might want to think about what you will pair with your D5 ... wildlife in particular requires reach in 99% of circumstances, do you have a suitable lens? If the ISO capability of the D500 is anything like the spec leads us to believe, (only time will tell!), then the D500 should be perfect as it immediately gives you a 1.5 advantage but it takes you into XQD and different media if that matters.
I sold my D4S and bought a D810 & D7200 and I wouldn't swap back, though I could be persuaded to replace the D7200 with a D500 if the hype proves realistic :)

I was originally going to buy a D4s last June but then changed jobs and didn't get a day off for 6 months so didn't get it as it woukdnt have got used.

I don't have a lens suitable lens at the moment, well other than a 80-400 but intend to get a 500mm with the camera. Your situation with the D810 and D7200 is exactly what I was referring to and why I'm thinking a D810 and D500 may be a good combo and save some money. I've not used a crop sensor for many many years so not sure how much they've changed, the spec of the D500 does look impressive though :)

I was originally going to buy a D4s last June but then changed jobs and didn't get a day off for 6 months so didn't get it as it woukdnt have got used.

I don't have a lens suitable lens at the moment, well other than a 80-400 but intend to get a 500mm with the camera. Your situation with the D810 and D7200 is exactly what I was referring to and why I'm thinking a D810 and D500 may be a good combo and save some money. I've not used a crop sensor for many many years so not sure how much they've changed, the spec of the D500 does look impressive though :)

I would think the D500 + 500mm f4 would be a great combination (I use it on both D810 & D7200 and it is 'special') :)

Yup that's what I thought, I've been keeping my eye open for a nice used 500mm but they never seem to come up so looks like it will have to be a new one.

What were your impressions of both cameras?

I watched the D5 presentation and the focusing was the highlight for me, if I shot anything that moved quickly I'd want this camera

Holding it, it was pretty much the same as the D3/D4s I've held before; we weren't allowed to pop a card in and test it properly, but 14 fps does sound pretty damn fast lol

D500 was surprisingly light, several of us commented on that - again we couldn't pop a card in

Dave

I watched the D5 presentation and the focusing was the highlight for me, if I shot anything that moved quickly I'd want this camera

What event was this at?

D500 was surprisingly light, several of us commented on that - again we couldn't pop a card in.

I think most cameras will feel a bit light after picking up a D4/D5 sized camera. :eek: ;) :LOL:

From Grays of Westminster today:

"We are pleased to tell you that we have had word from Nikon on the D5 release. These should start to be shipped around the 18th March.
Please bear in mind Nikon are prioritizing NPS subscribers. At the moment we don’t have information on stocks but as soon as we know we will let you know."

LOL. tbh i don't need 5 million FPS, 1 will do and i find the AF plenty good enough for me on the D750. Does look a nice bit of kit though.
Might be more robust against the Welshgasm though :LOL:

If I could machine gun shots like that though there might be a chance I'd get at least one good one :ROFLMAO:

I've never really felt the need to with a DSLR. I may knock 2-3 out on the odd occasion but normally it's just single shot mode.

Yes, more welshgasm proof the better! I'm considering super gluing my screen to the body when i get it back.

I've never really felt the need to with a DSLR. I may knock 2-3 out on the odd occasion but normally it's just single shot mode.

Yes, more welshgasm proof the better! I'm considering super gluing my screen to the body when i get it back.
Sounds drastic :eek: ;) I'd be lost without my flippy screen for portraits.

Depends on the sports, with running events I sometimes rattle off 2 or 3 at a time so that I haven't got a shot with their eyes closed or something, but I don't machine gun. It's the AF system rather than the fps that I like the look of on the D5, finally cross type AF points on outer points ;)

Last edited:
Asked the question today, on the Nikon stand at the Photography Show, when was the D5 launch in the UK. I was told stock will arrive at dealers on Wednesday of this week and will start shipping. :)

Latest Lightroom update has D5 & D500 support, before the cameras are in the shops... that's novel, you usually have to wait weeks! I suppose tethered support will still be months away though...

Got a phone call today, saying my D5 will arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I will find time over the Easter weekend, to try it out...

Got a phone call today, saying my D5 will arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I will find time over the Easter weekend, to try it out...
Bah! Greys of Westminster took my payment yesterday and told me their first batch is next week.... Have fun!!

Bah! Greys of Westminster took my payment yesterday and told me their first batch is next week.... Have fun!!

Surprised at that. I asked at the show on Monday and they said dealers would get them today and be sending them out straight away.

Surprised at that. I asked at the show on Monday and they said dealers would get them today and be sending them out straight away.

Looks like we've been told a different account. I was reliably informed at the show that they were likely to be dispatched the first week of May !

Looks like we've been told a different account. I was reliably informed at the show that they were likely to be dispatched the first week of May !

Wow!!! You sure that's not the D500? I know that has been delayed until the end of April...

Just checked my emails and found this...Untitled2 by kas10, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back