Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, there seems to be an 'owners thread' for quite a few other cameras on here but not the D5000 yet; sooo....... I reckon there are enough of us on here now who own said camera to start one......so here it is! Anything and everything D5000 related.(y)

Neil

Hi Neil, great idea. I have had my D5000 for 5 days now and I am "over the moon" with it at the moment. I got 2 lenses with it and both Nikon, one is the 18-55mm and the other is 55-200mm. I

am off to the Emirates Stadium today for the Emirates Cup so should be able to get a few nice shots.

I upgraded from a SONY DSC-H50 so I have been spoilt with the 465mm zoom and with my 1.7x TC it went to 980mm, IQ was not very good but I am missing that extra length with my new camera.

Look forward to good tips and discussion's in the near future.

Martin

Hello :D Well, i have had my camera for 4weeks now and havent really had chance to play with it due to work :crying: But hoping to pick it up soon and "try it out" but so far i have to say im impressed and happy with it. I am new to photography and i am only just learning the basic's, so once i know more im sure i wil become even more "snap happy".
My only issue i have is that i need more lens's Lol

Has anyone found a solution to a tripod that will accomadate the swivel screen?.
Beck

i have a nikon D5000 my gf bought it me for xmas 09 and its a brilliant camera. upgraded from a D40 to the D5000, im still really learning photography one of the reasons i joined tbh. like many i need a few more lenses curently got the kit lens and a sigma 70-300, hoping to get a fish eye lens for when im at my local skate park and a macro at xmas

Has anyone found a solution to a tripod that will accomadate the swivel screen?....Beck

"this" thread ....post #20

note === is it possible to link to a post within a thread...?

hi there

upgraded from a D40 - well impressed

I would say the D5000 manual is rubbish [like the D40]
got D5000 Guide by David Busch from Amazon

also looking on eBay at old-style Ai or AI-S lenses in 24/28 mm
they will mount ok, and although dont auto-focus, I reckon they are a cheap manual lens
to play with

I

am off to the Emirates Stadium today for the Emirates Cup so should be able to get a few nice shots.

Martin

Gah! I have to work today otherwise i would have been there too :bang:

Had my D5000 for a while now. It was a grey one off ebay brand new, body only. Yeah yeah i know....taking a risk, but so far its been great.
Initially had a Tamron 18-270VC on it but just didn't work that well for me...way too slow to focus and occasionally the camera couldn't detect the lens so I had to remove it and re-seat it .... major PITA:thumbsdown:
Flogged it on and bought the lenses on the left, both second-hand in mint condition and they have been superb, love the 70-300VR; IQ is amazing all the way up to the 300mm mark.

Last edited:
I agree, the 70-300 VR is awesome on it, its sooooo fast!

Yeah, i would love to get some Macro lenses and something to shoot some moon shots :) What would anyone recommend for that?. im not looking to buy right away but just as a general question.

Beck.

i took a few pics of the moon the other night with my sigma 70-300mm, didnt come out the best but i will post a couple when i get up for work later today (y)

I've used the 70-300VR hand-held with some success to take moon pics....just trying to find some now.....will put some up once I do find them!

Hello :D Well, i have had my camera for 4weeks now and havent really had chance to play with it due to work :crying: But hoping to pick it up soon and "try it out" but so far i have to say im impressed and happy with it. I am new to photography and i am only just learning the basic's, so once i know more im sure i wil become even more "snap happy".
My only issue i have is that i need more lens's Lol

Has anyone found a solution to a tripod that will accomadate the swivel screen?.
Beck

Yes:
CamerasideBHrwIMG_4495.jpg

A 'KOOD BH-02BQ' Ball Head, turned back to front . . . !

CJS

Great idea on the thread, and Im a member of the D5000 club!

Yeah, i would love to get some Macro lenses and something to shoot some moon shots :) What would anyone recommend for that?. im not looking to buy right away but just as a general question.

Beck.

I was thinking the same as this, I read in one of my books that a cheaper option is to go for a 'canon close up lens' which is meant to fit the Nikon and gets really good results. Im looking into getting one of these. Someone else maybe able to suggest another one if maybe Nikon are making their own now.

i took a few pics of the moon the other night with my sigma 70-300mm, didnt come out the best but i will post a couple when i get up for work later today (y)

I've used the 70-300VR hand-held with some success to take moon pics....just trying to find some now.....will put some up once I do find them!

Thankyou both, look forward to seeing both of your photos, i love moon shots!. intrigue me and would love to have a bash at it :) taking a photo that is, not bashing the moon lol

Yes:
CamerasideBHrwIMG_4495.jpg

A 'KOOD BH-02BQ' Ball Head, turned back to front . . . !

CJS

Thankyou very much :) will defo be keeping an eye out for one, could i ask where you got yours from?.. I dont know many places as of yet apart from ya basic jessops! heard of a few other websites on here but i didnt take note :bonk:

Great idea on the thread, and Im a member of the D5000 club!

I was thinking the same as this, I read in one of my books that a cheaper option is to go for a 'canon close up lens' which is meant to fit the Nikon and gets really good results. Im looking into getting one of these. Someone else maybe able to suggest another one if maybe Nikon are making their own now.

Oh ok, could you let me know how you get on with this one please, anything cheap that works brilliantly is great in my mind or should i say pockets!. :D

Thanks All.

Last edited:
Hi all.

I've had mine for just over 2 months now (my 1st DSLR camera). I have to say i'm very happy with it.

I originally wanted a decent camera as we are off on a family holiday to Malaysia (Langkawi) in 2 weeks and wanted something a bit better than my point and shot camera I had. Well, I certainly have that now.

Since getting it, i've got more and more engrossed in photography than I thought I was going to be. I've found it an interesting, challenging and enjoyable hobby. At first it was quite daunting learning about even the basic about aperture, shutter speed and iso but after reading a few books (I found Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, Complete photography Course by Garrett and Harris and David Busch's Nikon D5000 book very helpful) it's slowly beginning to sink in.

Along with reading, I've found just taking as many shots as possible and learning from then, even if they were poor has helped.

With the camera came the 18-55mm lens and since then I've bought the 35mm 1.8/F and 55-200mm lens. Not tried out the 55-200 yet as just received it but i'm very happy with the 35mm prime lens.

ps, sorry for going on a bit, got a bit carried away :D

Thankyou very much :) will defo be keeping an eye out for one, could i ask where you got yours from?.. I dont know many places as of yet apart from ya basic jessops! heard of a few other websites on here but i didnt take note :bonk:.

there yer go becky............."link"

Click If you click the number of the post you want to refer to, it'll open up in a new window. Simply use the address from this window as your link. (y)

cheers for that

"Jarrow"...? as in near Hebburn

I dont know many places as of yet apart from ya basic jessops! heard of a few other websites on here but i didnt take note .

there is a TP thread listing a whole slew of shops......"here"

there is a TP thread listing a whole slew of shops......"here"

(y) thanks..
Anyone wants to add as friends are more then welcome. Im off to work now :crying: so catch you all at some other point !

I got a D5000 and I think it's the best starter camera I have ever seen, the back screen looks super.

Good Morning Peeps, great to so many responses.

Well had a great day at The Emirates yesterday - sorry Neil - but obviously I cant show piccy's on here as they infringe copyright laws. Anyway it was my first real proper use of the D5000 and was over the moon with the results, BUT I could have done with a longer lens, which I am looking at getting around Christmas time so I will just have to enlarge and crop.

OOOOOpppssss! Someones got the hump with me.....LOL

Brilliant link Phil....Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
CSC_0267.JPG

Here is a photo of the moon as promised. Its not the greatest...afraid i cannot find the file with the rest of the images inside (new computer!) It was shot without a tripod using the D5000 and Nikon 70-300VR....shows you how good the VR system actually is!

Neil

f/11
1/60
ISO 200
300mm
Spot Metering

Last edited:
Hi Martin,

Nah, just couldnt work out how to delete a post! Had to leave at least one character behind....

Anyway, enjoy the game? Nice to see the new lad score (y)

Didnt know you couldnt post pics up 'cos of copyright infringement......thought it was fine to use them for your own use and non-profit. No worries though,

Neil

On other forums I've been on - same layout as this one - all you do is click on edit and it gives you the chance to delete the post cant seem to do that on here.

It was a great day with some great goals and Chamakh took his goal very very well and I think he is going to be a great signing.

The only problem was lens size, with mine being only 200mm max it was a tad bit small. I used the sports mode and I am well pleased with the results. I have a flickr account but never uploaded any piccy's to it so perhaps I can start with these shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the moon shot Neil, especially as it was hand held, can you remember what shutter speed you used?.

I keep promising myself that I will have a go, so next full moon I will give it a go.

Love the moon shot Neil, especially as it was hand held, can you remember what shutter speed you used?.

I keep promising myself that I will have a go, so next full moon I will give it a go.

Just added exif data so you can see details

Just purchased the battery grip from ebay, so i'll let you all know how good it is after it arrives (if it arrives)....(y)

Just purchased the battery grip from ebay, so i'll let you all know how good it is after it arrives (if it arrives)....(y)

if it comes with a battery holder for 6 AAs - get 6 Sanyo eneloops

I went out once with 6 Uni-Ross 2500mAh and they had lost their charge - so were useless .:razz:

Can I join the club?! Have just ordered a D5000 from Amazon together with a 18-55 lens.

Back