Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

That's what they carried out, first time I sent my in, but unfortunately it still didn't sort the issue. Hopefully, you'll have better luck.

Well hopefully it will be sorted but I will keep an eye on it, I have done well before I saw Dust

I bought it at the end of 2012 and its done around 23000 clicks

If my camera has a replacement SHUTTER PLATE UNIT does that not mean my shutter count would be back to zero or is the shutter plate unit not actually the shutter.

Got my camera back today and the shutter count is the same as it was before it went away

If my camera has a replacement SHUTTER PLATE UNIT does that not mean my shutter count would be back to zero or is the shutter plate unit not actually the shutter.

Got my camera back today and the shutter count is the same as it was before it went away

The way I understand it is that the shutter plate is new and has zero or only few actuations on it as Nikon tested it. What is perhaps not done in your case is they forgot to reset the shutter count in camera.

When I had mine done the shutter count was unaffected. fwiw it didn't resolve the issue with mine, another couple of trips to Nikon and they replaced it with a D610.

Well it has around 100 extra shots on which I would think would be from testing etc. I just thought with the new shutter plate it would somehow reset the count.

Not to worried about that as long as its sorted...... I now need a blue sky to try it out, wonder if a grey/white sky would work to test it

Well it has around 100 extra shots on which I would think would be from testing etc. I just thought with the new shutter plate it would somehow reset the count.

Not to worried about that as long as its sorted...... I now need a blue sky to try it out, wonder if a grey/white sky would work to test it
Any pale evenly coloured surface works. Lens around f22 if it goes there and make it oof by using manual focus. Any spots are easy to spot in LR.

Don't mean to be the negative one here - mine came back with more dust/oil problems than when it was sent in. Was sent straight back within 48 hours.

I had the same problem and they sent a D610.

Anyone ever thought about removing the AA filter on the camera?

Last edited:
I had the same problem and they sent a D610.

Yep, after complaining and asking for my case to be escalated.

That is something to think about if it happens again....

Anyone ever thought about removing the AA filter on the camera?

I don't think it will be as easy as you might think I would think it will be built into the mechanics of the camera - part of it and not something you can just remove like a filter

Although I could be wrong I am no expert :thinking:

OK looks like its going back again..... I have tested it and its a lot better BUT dust is already appearing. Just a few dots for now but it seems to be getting worse

do you have a D610 now? mine had a crap load of dust not oil covered almost the entire frame. I used a blower and they are 99% gone. there are only 2 very persistence spots left in the corners which I can't get to with the swap...

will wait till it gets a bit more messy and persistent then send it off for a "Pro" job. (god knows what that entails) I hope it is something from Star Trek - Sonic Shower...sounds very cleansing indeed

NO I still have my D600 that they returned to me. SO this is the second time I will be returning it.

Its not bad at the moment but I can see dust bits on the sensor already and in fact there were one or two still there when it came back

Do you think they will send a D610 back - that would be nice :)

Or do you need LOADS or repairs for that to happen ( and something I would not tolerate either :eek:)

John you are best calling them first and advising you are unhappy with it, when you send the camera in make sure to include a letter with it stating clearly that you are unhappy with it and that you would prefer them to replace the camera rather than clean/repair it again.

NO I still have my D600 that they returned to me. SO this is the second time I will be returning it.

Its not bad at the moment but I can see dust bits on the sensor already and in fact there were one or two still there when it came back

Or do you need LOADS or repairs for that to happen ( and something I would not tolerate either :eek:)

If the D600 recurring dust is bothering you a lot, you could send an email and letter to John Walshe of Nikon UK - john.walshe@nikon.co.uk . I did that the 2nd time I had to send explaining my dissatisfaction and slipped in the letter inside the parcel and a D610 was sent to me in 3 days.

They normally send a brand new D610 box with all accessories and a full two year warranty that you must register to activate. Don't send batteries and chargers, just send the camera as you did last time. If they send you a D610, you will have another set of accessories - two batteries etc.

John, I sent mine in twice and they replaced it.

Call them, express in strong terms your unhappiness and tell them you want a replacement camera in the form of the D610. Remind them that it serves no purpose in keep sending it in to be 'fixed'. It costs them money and you're constantly without a very expensive piece of equipment. I also dropped in the conversation that I need the camera for my work. Worked for me although I did hassle them virtually everyday.

Should be pretty straightforward to get a replacement. May need to escalate, to John Walshe, but a shiny new D610 should be the outcome :)

TBH, can't see why anyone, should not be looking for a D610 even if the dust issue is not too bad.

Thanks everyone I have took advice from here and through PM (thanks anibap)

I am sending the camera back with a letter (and email) explaining my dissatisfaction, frustration and the fact I need the camera for work so lets hope for the best

Actually email to Walshe wont work - just keeps giving me a return mail error ?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone I have took advice from here and through PM (thanks anibap)
Actually email to Walshe wont work - just keeps giving me a return mail error ?

Strange, as that's the one I used, when I complained. Perhaps he's had to change it due to being harassed by D600 owners :D

Strange, as that's the one I used, when I complained. Perhaps he's had to change it due to being harassed by D600 owners :D

:D - Yeah maybe.... But I tried again on a different email and it seems to have gone this time.

I did say if he had no D610's spare I would take a D750 off him at a push ;)

I have had an email back from Nikon from some lady called India. She said she will look into it personally. I have just replied basically requesting a D610 saying how its daft sending back and fourth and I need it for work etc. It feels a bit cheeky but I just want it sorted

I have had an email back from Nikon from some lady called India. She said she will look into it personally. I have just replied basically requesting a D610 saying how its daft sending back and fourth and I need it for work etc. It feels a bit cheeky but I just want it sorted

I'll be surprised if they don't sent you a D610.

Nothing cheeky about it John. The D600 is flawed by design. You're entitled to a properly functioning replacement.

I'll be surprised if they don't sent you a D610.

Lets hope so.... fingers crossed

Nothing cheeky about it John. The D600 is flawed by design. You're entitled to a properly functioning replacement.

Yeah I agree, my only worry is the sensor was not as bad as last time. The first time it was really bad but this time it was just starting with around 6 spots on it. But I wanted to act fast before my weddings start

Nice write up Joe with some very impressive images!

You say best IQ is achieved between iso's 200-3200... any reason for not using iso 100?

Thanks for your kind comments :)

In regards to the ISO, I found using ISO 100 on the D610 not to be producing as crisp images as it did at ISO 200 from my experience using the camera so far, this maybe because I was shooting wildlife and ISO 100 is pretty rare to use in the UK for birds, I would recommend staying between ISO 200-3200 for Wildlife Photography. I shall continue doing tests with the camera to see how it performs at Low ISO's for Landscape work on the Isle of Skye & Uist in just over a months time to do a in depth report of low ISO's of the camera. :)

Look forward to reading your findings! I take your point about the uk weather and wildlife. You have the benefit of having some excellent fast glass, having recently bought a Sigma 150-500 i am forever upping the iso which on a d7100 isn't really the best idea!

Look forward to reading your findings! I take your point about the uk weather and wildlife. You have the benefit of having some excellent fast glass, having recently bought a Sigma 150-500 i am forever upping the iso which on a d7100 isn't really the best idea!

Thanks again for your kind words :) The UK Weather and wildlife never really go together at all, even with the fast glass it can be a losing battle on some days! Upping the ISO isn't the best option but the only choice you have 90% of the time!

If anyone is interested to view, I have just done a write up review of the D610 for Wildlife Photography :)

View attachment 30943

Nice to see opinions of someone who has out the D6x0 through its paces properly, for some reason its been getting some poor press recently but it really is a great camera (if not quite perfect), the sensor especially.

Couple of S&G errors but I'll let them pass :D

Nice to see opinions of someone who has out the D6x0 through its paces properly, for some reason its been getting some poor press recently but it really is a great camera

Couldn't agree more, lots of people recently seem to be dumping down the D6x0. Really it is a superb small camera. Really looking forward to using it for many years to come :)

Great review joe. I'll say it again for the benefit of others here, but I know I've said it to you, that I think the D610 makes a great second camera when you have a main one to make up for its small amounts of shortcomings (such as your d800 etc) but I think a single camera option is best placed with a d750.

As you've shown, the iq is fantastic and landscaping will show that off too. For anyone else, I've never had an issue at ISO 100.

Sorry to bring this up again - but my D600 is still at Nikon for the dust problem and I sent a letter with the camera and an email using the advice from this thread and today I got this email from Nikon

"Dear John,

Thank you for your email.

I can see that your case is currently being investigated by management. Whilst I couldn’t guarantee at this stage that we will be replacing your camera, please be assured I have passed on your request for a replacement to the relevant team.

As soon as we have any further updates, we will of course be in touch.

If you do have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask."

Then tonight when I checked the Nikon repair website instead of "Waiting for repair" like it has said for days it now says

"Thank you for choosing one of our exchange offers (16/02/2015). Your selected equipment should be exchanged within 5 working days of this acceptance. . "

Does this mean they have swapped it for the D610 ?

Last edited:
Back