Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Is this guy talking out of his b@ckside ? - saying the 610 has a better AF system to the 600 ??? i thought they were the same

You're quite correct, he is talking out of his b@ckside. Same autofocus system in both cameras.

How do people get away with such blatant misinformation ?? - one of the top reviews of the 610 on youtube

Is this guy talking out of his b@ckside ? - saying the 610 has a better AF system to the 600 ??? i thought they were the same
Like many I've had the D600 and now the D610 - I haven't noticed anything that I'd call significant in terms of AF performance.

Yeah you can see I questioned that in the comments a while back on that video

....reporting back - the 16-35mm is quite honestly a fantastic lens apart from the horrendous distortion at 16mm.
On a more important note - my D610 is oiling like crazy. 6100 actuations on the clock and I must have cleaned the sensor 5 times.
Pondering whether to send it back to Nikon but need it for my trip to Iceland on the 31st.

Hi everyone,
I've sent my D600 back to Nikon for an clean almost 2.5 weeks ago and it still says awaiting repair on the status tracker, anyone have a rough idea how long they normally take?

Thanks
Dean

Hi everyone,
I've sent my D600 back to Nikon for an clean almost 2.5 weeks ago and it still says awaiting repair on the status tracker, anyone have a rough idea how long they normally take?

Thanks
Dean

The couple of times, I sent mine in, it stayed at "awaiting repair" until it was delivered, so I wouldn't pay much attention to that. Best bet is to drop them an email or give them a call.

Where would be the best eBay seller to buy a battery grip from for my d610? I've researched and they all seem about the same! Registered as local address but actually in the states /China so I'm asking for personal experiences of the sellers ? Is there any particularly bad or really good /fast delivery ones

Mines just "arrived" at nikon for second clean!! Sent it with a note saying its second time for same problem with oil/dirt, it's not a reliable camera, how many more times is it going to happen-would like a definite solution to the problem! Probs won't hear nothing back and have my d600 cleaned and sent back! [emoji51]

Any news on the return yet Dean?
I got mine back after a week, just got my 600 back with a new shutter though :(
Not a thing I'll give them a call, I was giving them the benefit as the long easter weekend soaked up a couple of days.

How can you tell if you've had the shutter replaced without paperwork ? Can you tell just by looking at it?

It was second hand from WEX!

Last edited:
How can you tell if you've had the shutter replaced without paperwork ? Can you tell just by looking at it?

It was second hand from WEX!
Just had confirmation mine will be returned to me tomorrow, the emailed service invoice states that the Shutter Unit was replaced.

Perhaps you could contact them with your serial number and they should be able to tell you what if any work has been done.

Contact Nikon UK you mean?

Thanks for advice

Do it do it do it

At that price, with a 2yr UK warranty etc, you'd be mad not too if you don't need/want what the D750/810 offers.

Last edited:
Where's or what is the cheapest place to buy body only? Considering grey but if I can find one for similar money here I'd prefer that. Missed the JL offer :/ wonder if it'll be back in stock soon?

Last edited:

I bought it last weekend! Very much an impulse buy so I haven't used it yet to make sure I want to keep it. It may have been the last one in their Oxford St. store because they weren't sure and were initially going to offer me the display model with an extra 10-15% off the sale price! But latter wasn't clean at all. Anyway got the brand new one.

I gather it has a crop mode, which is great, as I could carry on using my DX lenses with it. Have I got the following right though? Field of view of D90 + 17-50 DX lens is same on D610 + 17-50 DX lens if I am on crop mode but photo would be around 10MP quality only? There would be no vignetting on crop mode using that lens? I will look to get an equivalent FX lens if I keep the D610 eventually - suspect a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8. Nikon's equivalent is way too expensive.

Hello all - I've just joined the D610 club - having ummed and ahhhed for a while. To say it is a bit of a step up from my D3100 is saying something - my first shoot was a theatre under lighting - took both cameras as I knew I could produce some pictures from the D3100 - and the difference is night and day.

Happy bunny here :)

So one question I saw asked looking back but couldn't see an answer on was batteries (but I could have missed it). Do third party (e.g. Duracell or 7dayshop) ones work - and do they hold the same amount of charge? Or are they not recommended?

... Have I got the following right though? Field of view of D90 + 17-50 DX lens is same on D610 + 17-50 DX lens if I am on crop mode but photo would be around 10MP quality only? ...
Yes, you have that right.
... There would be no vignetting on crop mode using that lens?...
It will be the same as the lens on the D90 - so if the 17-50 vignettes on the D90 it will also vignette the same amount on the D610 in crop mode as near as damn is to swearing.

I have recently sold almost all my Nikon gear, having only my Nikon 35mm f/1.8G FX left.

I will be taking a trip to Hong Kong very soon, and I'm tempted to pick up a D610 while I'm there, if the price is right.

However, I have a few questions that I'd like to ask.

How bad is the autofocus, really. I seem to read quite a few comments/reviews that slate the autofocus. From it being hit and miss, or terrible in low light.

How have you guys found the autofocus? How many of you have used, or still use one professionally, and trust it to do it's job in challenging lighting. I am not a professional, but I was thinking that if there are pros out there using it for paid jobs, then it will definitely be good enough for me.

I have used many bodies before in the past, both canon and Nikon. Regarding the autofocus and it's reliability, especially in low light, how does it compare to:

Canon 7D/5DmkII/6D
Nikon D700/D5100/D7000/D750

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
I went from a D700 to a D610 and the D700 AF was better no doubt. That said, if you only ever use centre point and recompose then the D610 is very good, even in low light.

I went from a D700 to a D610 and the D700 AF was better no doubt. That said, if you only ever use centre point and recompose then the D610 is very good, even in low light.

Is it better in regards to it being 51 points compared to the 39 points of the D610? Or achieving focus lock in low light with the centre point?

I shoot mostly wide open with fast lenses and don't use flash at all.

Can't comment on other FF DSLRs, as I have only used D600 and now D610. I shot more than 20k exposures and never found the AF on D610 lacking including nighttime and low light shooting.
I don't shoot sports so can't comment how it compares to the D750.

Back