Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

The OMD has very poor continuos AF like most mirrorless cameras. I can understand his frustration as that was why I jumped ship form the OMD, for static or moderate movement its great but anything moving that you have to focus on, such as children, I missed more shots than I hit. I really liked the size and weight of the OMD and the IS is fantastic, particularly for video, but with D600 I get a much higher % of keepers than the OMD.

Jinxy said:
The OMD has very poor continuos AF like most mirrorless cameras. I can understand his frustration as that was why I jumped ship form the OMD, for static or moderate movement its great but anything moving that you have to focus on, such as children, I missed more shots than I hit. I really liked the size and weight of the OMD and the IS is fantastic, particularly for video, but with D600 I get a much higher % of keepers than the OMD.

What he says :) I took loads over weekend only about 5 % keepers of daughter :(

When I had dslr I would easily get 80% keepers

How much did u sell your omd?

Jinxy said:
I didn't I used the stores 30 day returns policy...twice ;)

Lucky u guess that jessops :)

So what lenses does anyone recommend for the D600 ?

I have the

Sigma 24-60mm f/ 2.8 EX DG
Nikon 50mm
Nikon 80-200mm F2.8

Plus still have Nikon D90 Kit lens - 18-105 VR Lens which is a good lens but does not really go with the D600 so I will be selling to fund another lens

I've got

Nikon 50 1.8G
Nikon 24-85 3.5-4.5 kit lens
Tamron 70-300 4-5.6

I'm wanting something faster and longer for indoors so thinking either a used Sigma 70-200 F2.8 or the 85 1.8G.

I've got

Nikon 50 1.8G
Nikon 24-85 3.5-4.5 kit lens
Tamron 70-300 4-5.6

I'm wanting something faster and longer for indoors so thinking either a used Sigma 70-200 F2.8 or the 85 1.8G.

So similar to me......

Has anyone tried any third party batteries.... I saw THIS on amazon and THIS

Last edited:
So what lenses does anyone recommend for the D600 ?

I have the

Sigma 24-60mm f/ 2.8 EX DG
Nikon 50mm
Nikon 80-200mm F2.8

Plus still have Nikon D90 Kit lens - 18-105 VR Lens which is a good lens but does not really go with the D600 so I will be selling to fund another lens

I have:

Nikon 24-85mm lens kit
Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G IF-ED - Superb lens

We use 50 and 85 1.8 AFD, 70-300 VR G IF ED, Sigma 300 2.8 with the D800 - all of which work beautifully,...

I've had my D600 for about a month and I've been very happy with it after upgrading from a D80 with a grip.
I like to shoot in portrait style so having a grip makes it so much easier. I decided to go with a 3rd party grip off ebay.... (grip)
I was pleasantly surprised at the quality/feel of the grip, so far it has performed well, only time will tell if it's a good investment.
The grip contains 1 battery, the camera holds the original and I have a spare. It is a pain having to remove the grip to replace the battery after being used to having both in the D80 grip. Like 'TheCrewDesigns' mentioned this is a design flaw in my view. You could probably get away with just swapping the one in the grip but I'm trying to rotate the batteries so that they deteriorate together.
I'm a motorsport fan so I'm looking forward to using this camera next year when when the season starts up again, in the meantime I'll get used to the extra functions and try and capture some still life shots... only if they don't move. ;-)

Just checked the 'grip' link to find "the item is no longer available" I hope that's not a bad omen :-(

How u guys finding the focus on this camera and high ISO images?

Kevinandseri said:
High ISO performance and an AF system shared with the D4 are both exceptional in the D800......

Are u saying it quite as good as d800?

But I am talking about d600 here how that compared

High Iso 6400+ is very good... AF is not too hot in low light... and the AF assist light scares animal subjects..

Wrong thread!!

Last edited:
I'm 99% certain I'm going to trade my 5Dc, 35mm f1.4L and 135mm f2L for one of these. Does the 24-70 2.8 balance ok (i.e. not feel too big) on the relatively small body? It looks like a beast. I'm fine with a monster lens for motorsport, but I've never considered something so big as my walk around / travel lens.

I'm 99% certain I'm going to trade my 5Dc, 35mm f1.4L and 135mm f2L for one of these. Does the 24-70 2.8 balance ok (i.e. not feel too big) on the relatively small body? It looks like a beast. I'm fine with a monster lens for motorsport, but I've never considered something so big as my walk around / travel lens.

With the Nikkor 24-70 on its a fair old lump to carry around and does feel a bit front heavy but worth it. Maybe the Tamron might be a bit lighter and by all accounts its a very good lens for a lot less money.

i've got the Nikon f4 24 -120 which is pretty well balanced on the D600, gives good results and is a little cheaper than the 24 - 70, which IMHO is a little too big for a walkabout lens, fantastic though it is

What do people think of the kit lens that comes with the D600? Is it any good or does it smack of a 1 litre engine in a ferrari?

That's a great expression !

Just thinking. This thread seems to be a lot less active than most other owners threads. Is this because of a lack of interest in the D600?
Or is it because its so good all the owners are too busy using their cameras to post on here?

Thats what Im confused about! Been saving hard for a new camera and undecided to go for body only or kit. Lens options with the body only would be the 24-120 F4 or a cheaper Tamron 28-75 2.8 or the more expensive 24-70 Tamron....

I was going get one I did post in here went for a 5d mkiii instead so can't comment on d600 sorry otherwise I would be posting.

Thats what Im confused about! Been saving hard for a new camera and undecided to go for body only or kit. Lens options with the body only would be the 24-120 F4 or a cheaper Tamron 28-75 2.8 or the more expensive 24-70 Tamron....

Go for the 24-70 if you can afford it.

Just ordered the D600, can anyone tell me if you need official Nikon batteries or do third party ones work?

Another potential fault for new owners. I picked up a new d600 on Friday all was well until I mounted my 50mm 1.8d on the front. Wouldn't auto focus at all. As you tried to get it to focus it would just move a bit, repeatedly pressing to focus would get it there but it would then hunt back and forward. Rang Nikon UK this morning and they suggested taking back to the shop for a replacement.
I have had it changed this evening and now my new d600 will play with my 50mm lens. I would suggest if you have a lens that relies on the inbuilt motor for focus that you try it.

Did anyone here move from a d700 to d600 and if so how does it compare (or maybe u still have both)?

Am put off by size being too small, but how do build and iso performance differ? Worth changing?

Did anyone here move from a d700 to d600 and if so how does it compare (or maybe u still have both)?

Am put off by size being too small, but how do build and iso performance differ? Worth changing?

Only had the D600 for two weeks and it does feel toy like compared to my D3
but the images are even better than the D3. Apart from a dozen shots with my 70-200 f2.8 VRll all photos have been taken with a Nikkor 24-70 2.8.It is a great combination which I would highly recommend.
One thing that is puzzling me is how to be able to move the focus point to where I want it like I can with my other Nikons,even my D50. Can anyone tell me if it can be done?

Back