Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

If it's like the D800 there will be a button on the Af/M switch just below the lens mount button. Hold that, and on the top LCD, make sure it's set to S and AF-S - you should be able to select whichever point you desire then.

Only had the D600 for two weeks and it does feel toy like compared to my D3
but the images are even better than the D3. Apart from a dozen shots with my 70-200 f2.8 VRll all photos have been taken with a Nikkor 24-70 2.8.It is a great combination which I would highly recommend.
One thing that is puzzling me is how to be able to move the focus point to where I want it like I can with my other Nikons,even my D50. Can anyone tell me if it can be done?

Cheers. What i love about the d700 is the fact its big and solid. However, if the IQ and ISO are better that could be the clincher!

I've had my D600 for a few months now. It was a difficult decision which FF camera to get, I needed to balance a few requirements (landscape, portrait, candid and lots of low light stuff) as well as weight. I have had a few physical challenges over the last few years which means that I can no longer lug the sort of weight around that I could! I came from a DX camera with no real investment in FX glass so it was reasonable to look at the Canons too.

I have had the pleasure to shoot with many Nikon cameras, though not necessarily own them (sadly). Overall I am delighted with it. The IQ is exceptional - I cannot tell the difference between the output between this and the D800. It's low light/high ISO performance is almost D3S-esque, I doubt I could tell the difference, though I have only shot a few times with the D3S.

I was quite concerned about t'internet rumblings re poor low light focus performance and oil/dust issues on the sensor. I was more concerned when I looked at my first few images and noticed a dust bunny or two. I have used the in camera sensor clean and used a rocket blwoer and the dust bunnies have gone. Before this gets taken out of context, every DSLR I owned or used for any length of time gets these. When we first got the new Canon 5DMkIII in at work it had loads of dust on the sensor straight out of the box (in fact all of 6 them did to some degree), way more than the D600 had - it happens and takes 5 minutes to clean. So far no oil on the sensor though which is a relief - but again not difficult to clean if needed.

As for the poor low light focussing, this is not what I am experiencing. I have sometimes experienced poor AF in low contrast but good light. In ordinary contrast scenes for example using the Nikkor 50mm f1.8G and in low light, needing iso 3200 or 6400, it has focussed quickly and accurately.

I prefer the ergonomics of this camera over the D800 too. The D4 though is nicer to use, but way too expensive (and heavy) for me just now. I prefer the tactile feel of the Nikons to the Canons, though I did like the 5DMkIII in use (and was sorely tempted to jump ship too!).

I have used my D600 in the rain and snow and it has stood up to that perfectly well so far, I have also used it on the beach too and again the weather sealing is as good as expected. I like the fact it is slightly smaller and lighter than the D800 and even when shooting landscapes I don't feel as though I need any more pixels (though 36MP would still be very nice ;)). I don't do a lot of high speed burst shooting, but what I have done has been fine - I doubt it is anywhere near as good as the D3/D4 cameras though.

Given my weight aversion just now I will be looking at trying the new UWA Nikon have just announced and at some point trying the 70-200 F4 too.

So far so good! :)

If it's like the D800 there will be a button on the Af/M switch just below the lens mount button. Hold that, and on the top LCD, make sure it's set to S and AF-S - you should be able to select whichever point you desire then.

Thanks for that. I didn't even realise that it was a press button,just thought it moved from side to side for manual or auto focus.
I will check it out.

Jack Flash said:
Thanks for that. I didn't even realise that it was a press button,just thought it moved from side to side for manual or auto focus.
I will check it out.

Is there a focus point lock lever? I had this problem with the d7000 (similar controls as far as I'm aware). I couldn't move the focus point using the control pad as the point was locked.

Last edited:
Is there a focus point lock lever? I had this problem with the d7000 (similar controls as far as I'm aware). I could move the focus point using the control pad as the point was locked.

Focus point lock is on the outside of the thumb wheel on the rear.

I will check it out.

Is there a focus point lock lever? I had this problem with the d7000 (similar controls as far as I'm aware). I couldn't move the focus point using the control pad as the point was locked.

:shrug: Does no-one read the manual? :shrug::LOL:

:shrug: Does no-one read the manual? :shrug::LOL:

I had accidentally turned the focus lock switch, I worked out quite fast what I had done as I had read the manual and all 465 pages of the Darrell Young 'mastering the Nikon D7000' book! Sorry I thought I may be able to help someone with a similar problem of similar controls on a camera, its not a d600 but they don't seem to be too different control wise.

Last edited:
Don't worry Rob, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, as I tend to read the manual only when I encounter something unexpected, and need to find out how to change it !!
Like you, I have also knocked the switch by accident, and it took me a while to work out what I needed to do.
(I hadn't read the manual at that point though !)

Don't worry Rob, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, as I tend to read the manual only when I encounter something unexpected, and need to find out how to change it !!
Like you, I have also knocked the switch by accident, and it took me a while to work out what I needed to do.
(I hadn't read the manual at that point though !)

That's fine, to be honest I've read it again and I can see it was. That's the one thing about forums you can read somethings the wrong way sometimes, I should have noticed the shrugs more and read it as a tongue in cheek comment, sorry for the confusion.

Absolutely no need for an apology.

As you said, one of the problems with a forum conversation is the reader cannot hear tone of voice/inflection/facial expression etc. which is why a lot of threads descend into a ridiculous slanging match which does the thread, and indeed TP as a whole, no good whatsoever.
One only has to search for many wedding related threads for examples.;)
FWIW, if I see a thread going down that road, I tend to leave, pressing the RTM button on the way out! (y)

I just bought the D600 and should have it by Wednesday! I thought long and hard about this, I waited until the announcement of the D7100 to make a decision.

I'm upgrading from the D5100 which I bought in July 2011, I'm anticipating going through another learning curve but that's all part of the progress right? I've bought D600 for Dummies and was wondering if anyone can recommend any books or point me in the direction of learning resources?

I just bought the D600 and should have it by Wednesday! I thought long and hard about this, I waited until the announcement of the D7100 to make a decision.

I'm upgrading from the D5100 which I bought in July 2011, I'm anticipating going through another learning curve but that's all part of the progress right? I've bought D600 for Dummies and was wondering if anyone can recommend any books or point me in the direction of learning resources?

Hope you don't mind me asking. Where did you purchase it from and for how much?

Really tempted to get a D600.

Any Nikon D600 owner knows if the aperture control in live view has been added to the camera through firmware update? Thanks

architectfadi said:
Any Nikon D600 owner knows if the aperture control in live view has been added to the camera through firmware update? Thanks

What firmware update....? I'm not aware of any updates for the D600 yet.

No firmware updates yet. So no firmware fix for that problem. Only current solution, I believe, is to use a lens with an aperture ring and change the aperture on the lens.

I am sure I ve read somewhere that Nikon will introduce a new D600 firmware to address with aperture control issue in live view.

I thought they were keeping that feature off to differentiate between pro and consumer lines.

Now a proud owner of a D600 :D

Hope to get a run out with it tomorrow for St. Patrick's day.

Any recommendations regarding memory cards?

Have a few SD Class 10 cards, but I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade to get the most out of the camera.

Any recommendations regarding memory cards?

Have a few SD Class 10 cards, but I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade to get the most out of the camera.

What is the speed on the cards you have? I will be using class 10 cards with 45mb/s and 90 mb/s

I use SanDisk SD cards. Above the number 10 its has the card speed. It will be 15, 20, 30, 45, 90mb/s etc.

Not so easy on the Samsung card. Having read the product number, on the back, I've found out that it writes @21mb, so probably time to invest in a faster card.

Hi

Just noticed that I've got a few very noticeable spots on the sensor that are not budging with a blast or two of air. Could be dust. Could be oil. Do you recommend cleaning the sensor myself (never had need to do it before) or have owners with same issue been taking them in?

Apart from that the camera is wonderful. Never been interested in using video on previous Nikon's but it is so damned good I've changed my opinion.

Cheers

Ray

Hi

Just noticed that I've got a few very noticeable spots on the sensor that are not budging with a blast or two of air. Could be dust. Could be oil. Do you recommend cleaning the sensor myself (never had need to do it before) or have owners with same issue been taking them in?

Apart from that the camera is wonderful. Never been interested in using video on previous Nikon's but it is so damned good I've changed my opinion.

Cheers

Ray

I have dry cleaned and wet cleaned myself and it is really easy although I recommend watching a few youtube videos before trying a wet clean.
If it is just dust on your sensor and you will get dust on the D600 trust me first try the blower method if that does'nt work get yourself a decent sensor brush because this is all it needs sometimes and is less invasive than a wet clean.
If it appears it is oil this is usually a cluster in the top left corner of the images then it will require a wet clean.

Spots in top left corner. Sensor swabs ordered.

Onto other things, has anyone tried out the wifi adapter (WU-1B)?

Thinking about getting one so I can get closer images of the birds that visit the garden.

Ray

Firmware upgrade now available for D600.

I can't believe that it is to differentiate between grades from consumer to prosumer.

I think this is the case. It is a shame as the D600 is capable of delivering great videos. Other brands allow aperture control in LV in consumer/pro bodies

Makes me wonder if they will now. Not sure why they can't. I can't believe that it is to differentiate between grades from consumer to prosumer.

Seems a really stupid decision by Nikon. :thinking:

Regarding the SD cards, is 45mb sufficent, or will the D600 make use of the faster 95mb cards? Don't want to buy a more expensive 95mb card if it is not going to be any better than the 45mb ones.

for normal shooting, 45mb/s will do the job. I use it without issues on my D600

Any issues with writing the buffer to the memory card?

Had issues today with my Samsung card. Admittedly only 21mb write speed, so was expecting that, but don't want to buy 45mbs cards to find the same issue. But at the same time, being a miserable sod :LOL:, don't want to spend the extra on the 95mb cards if they are not needed.

Back