Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Edit My Images
No
As an owner of the recently released Nikon D600, I thought it would be worthwhile started an owners thread. There seems to be a lot of buzz about this camera in a short space of time since its release, and for good reason!

So - anything goes here, providing its about the D600. Apart from pricing discussions that is - there's another thread for that here.

Personally I'm delighted with mine so far, it seems to be the perfect balance of body size, weight, features, with good ergonomics and incredible IQ from the 24MP full frame sensor.

This is the place for owner reviews, questions, useful links, experiences etc....

Here's a useful link to start with:
D600 User manual - Nikon Europe

Last edited:
Last edited:
Couple of sample images that I took using my D600 and the 50mm F1.8G using Scene mode and the portrait option. They have been posted in the other D600 thread but thought as this is the owners thread worth posting in here as well.

Thanks for the photos, the 50mm 1.8G is certainly a great partner for the D600. Really light weight combination with brilliant image quality thanks to both lens and sensor.

I find with kids they don't sit still very well sometimes so I need to take full control of the camera to ensure the focussing mode and shutter speed are appropriate.

The second one looks a little out of focus, rather than using a scene mode, it would be worth you trying Aperture priority, AF-C focusing with say 9 point dynamic mode set, and ensure your shutter speed is around 1/125th or higher to counteract any subject movement. I sometimes even go to 1/250th depending on what the kids are doing!

Hope this helps - I've found the AF on the D600 to be 95% as good as my D700 was, even for fast moving subjects (tested them side by side using the same settings). It's also very good in low light and seems to focus on very poorly lit subjects well.

I agree the 2nd one is not as sharp, but to be honest was just playing with the camera to see what it did and got a fair few nice pictures, of which those are just 2.

I've bought myself a little IR remote to have a play with as well and trying to decide on a lens with longer reach. Tempted by the Sigma 70-200 or maybe the Tamron 70-300 VC USD.

I upgraded to FF recently. I initially thought about gettig a s/h D700 but decided to get the D600 instead. I hope i won't miss my 300s.

Just got the d600 a few days back and very pleased with it's performance/image quality. Only thing that's bugging me is the slightly cooler colour outdoors.
anyone recommend any picture control settings?
Took this with the 85mm f1.8g at f1.8 (fab lens)
d60085mm.jpg

Last edited:
mjjiva said:
Just got the d600 a few days back and very pleased with it's performance/image quality. Only thing that's bugging me is the slightly cooler colour outdoors.
anyone recommend any picture control settings?
Took this with the 85mm f1.8g at f1.8 (fab lens)

I haven't noticed any cooler colours in my outdoor shots, it seems normal to me and the same as my D700 was.

Agree with you about the 85mm 1.8G, it seems like a superb lens for the money, gives you 90% of the benefits of the 1.4G at a third of the cost...I'm hoping to get one in the next month after a bit of birthday dosh next week :)

Out of interest, which lenses are people using with the D600 ?

Mine are:

Nikon 24-70 2.8
Nikon 50mm 1.8G
Nikon 24-85 VR (the kit lens)
Nikon 28-300 VR
Tamron 17-35 UWA (surprisingly good and very inexpensive)

I've got the kit 24-85 and 50mm F1.8G. I'm looking for something with more reach so the something like the Tamron 70-300 VC USD or Sigma 70-200 F2.8 OS or non-OS.

Have the 50mm 1.8g and 85mm 1.8g. Debating between the Nikon 24-70 and tamron 24-70 VC.

Nikkor 24-70 all the way. Beautiful lens.

I tried this camera at work and compared it with the 5Dmk2 and the D600 is miles and miles ahead of the Canon in AF speed, low light, responsiveness, sharpness and general IQ. I'm seriously looking at getting one now. I found that with the 50mm f1.8G I just did not need VR at all where as I usually do and found the 5D with 50mm f1.4 a little shakey. The files we SO damn sharp and DOF was gorgeous. What a Camera!!!

We tries a 24-70 on it yesterday and it blew my mind!!!Working in a camera shop it takes a lot to get me excited but the 600D and the 24-70 really got me excited about hardware again.

Last edited:
AndyWest said:
I tried this camera at work and compared it with the 5Dmk2 and the D600 is miles and miles ahead of the Canon in AF speed, low light, responsiveness, sharpness and general IQ. I'm seriously looking at getting one now. I found that with the 50mm f1.8G I just did not need VR at all where as I usually do and found the 5D with 50mm f1.4 a little shakey. The files we SO damn sharp and DOF was gorgeous. What a Camera!!!

We tries a 24-70 on it yesterday and it blew my mind!!!Working in a camera shop it takes a lot to get me excited but the 600D and the 24-70 really got me excited about hardware again.

Another vote for the Nikon 24-70 2.8 - there's nothing out there does it better than this!

Regarding the 5D Mk2, I used to have one myself and you're right, the difference between it and and D600 are night and day. The D600 is miles better at high ISOs, far quicker focussing etc.

As for the 50mm lenses, I've had the Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk I and II, the 50 1.4, and the Nikon 50 1.4G and now the 1.8G. Out of all those, the 1.8G is the only one I can stick on the camera and just shoot - even wide open - and trust the focussing and sharpness. It beats all the others hands down, even the 1.4G. It is extremely sharp and the colours and contrast are amazing. The same applies to the 24-70, but the price is, ahem, somewhat higher. The 50mm 1.8G has to be the bargain lens of the decade!

Another vote for the Nikon 24-70 2.8 - there's nothing out there does it better than this!

Regarding the 5D Mk2, I used to have one myself and you're right, the difference between it and and D600 are night and day. The D600 is miles better at high ISOs, far quicker focussing etc.

As for the 50mm lenses, I've had the Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk I and II, the 50 1.4, and the Nikon 50 1.4G and now the 1.8G. Out of all those, the 1.8G is the only one I can stick on the camera and just shoot - even wide open - and trust the focussing and sharpness. It beats all the others hands down, even the 1.4G. It is extremely sharp and the colours and contrast are amazing. The same applies to the 24-70, but the price is, ahem, somewhat higher. The 50mm 1.8G has to be the bargain lens of the decade!

If I were to get the D600 (and I really hope to!) the 50mm f1.8G would be the 1st lens that I would pop on. It would have to do for a fair while as I would then be skint for a loooooong time!:D

The only thing holding me back is the Fuji X-E1 which is looking superb but the camera is not as spritely or versatile as the Nikon.

Some interesting noise comparisons here:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d600/8

You can select whatever camera you like in the drop down boxes to compare it with. Basically looking at the graphs, for RAW images it shows 1 - 1.5 stop advantage over the D7000, 5D Mark III and even the D800 in some cases (I turned the NR off). Pretty astonishing.

If you add the 5D Mark II into the mix, then according to this, ISO 800 is the same as ISO 3200 on the D600 in noise level terms. That's two stops!

I'm sure some people will question this and say the 5D II is not that far behind, and 5D III is better than the D600 etc etc, but I'm just stating what is shown in the graphs - and they usually have a far more scientific way of doing their testing than the average man on the street I guess.

So we can interpret it however we like, but whichever way you look at it, one thing is clear - its a great piece of kit for low light photography (as well as most other things!).

Last edited:
Well I used mine properly for the first time today, Had a couple of hours at a junior motocross meeting. One or two reports said that the D600 might not be very suitable for action shots but I found it the opposite. Focus was fast and accurate and the camera coped very well with some harsh lighting conditions. Will post a few in the motorsport section later but heres a quick candid I took as I was leaving.

I recieved my D600 and 50 1.8G from Panamoz this week but haven't had a chance to give it a real test yet, the weather's awfull! First impressions from taking a few snaps around the house seem very positive though!

I'm looking forward to receive my 24-70 from MPB this week to go with my 70-200, should be a lovely setup! :D:D

I upgraded to FF recently. I initially thought about gettig a s/h D700 but decided to get the D600 instead. I hope i won't miss my 300s.
I'm thinking about changing my beloved D300 for a D600.

I'd be interested to hear your real world views and experiences since you made the change.

That's the exact upgrade path I've just been down. I had a little play this afternoon and I'm VERY impressed! I'll report back in a week once I've given it a bit of a workout.

I have a school talent show to shoot on Friday so that should give the high iso capability a good test. My first impressions are that ISO 3200 needs very little noise reduction in Lightroom and that 6400 is perfectly useable - a complete revelation compared to the D300 where I wasn't happy to go beyond ISO 800 unless I really had to. The auto ISO function is superb, I have it set to max out at 3200 and it automatically compensates the min shutter speed for focal length i.e. on a 50mm lens it doesn't go lower than 1/50 and say for the 70-200 it automatically adjusts to anywhere between 1/70 and 1/200 as required. Awesome!!

Still trying to decide between the Tamron 70-300 USD VC and something like the Sigma 70-200 F2.8. Anybody got any thoughts on either of these lenses on FF?

A 70-200 2.8 is next on the shopping list for me, not sure if I should go for the Sigma or just bite the bullet and get the Nikon. I did have some nice results with the Nikon 70-300 AFS VR yesterday as long as it was not above 250.

Is it valid to compare the D600 to the 3-year old and currently much cheaper 5DII? Of course it should win.

Orville said:
Is it valid to compare the D600 to the 3-year old and currently much cheaper 5DII? Of course it should win.

I thinks it's valid if you're a 5D II owner maybe thinking about switching to Nikon - it demonstrates the difference (and shows that its a very worthwhile upgrade).

I must admit I was shocked that it is so much better (as a former 5D II user myself).

Nice review of it here:

http://www.nikonjin.com/2012/10/nikon-d600-review/

I think it's time D700 owners admitted this new baby beats the old boy in the noise dept easily enough, especially beyone 1600. It's still not as good as the D800, but very close. If I ever need a back up body, i'll grab one of these maybe.

Only had mine a few days though I have been trying it with several lenses, not notice any issues yet. I also have the D7000 and have had to clean the sensor a couple of times on that. I would expect the D600 to be similar.

Not so sure now loosing faith with Nikon now, First D7000 focus issues. Then D800 left focus issues. Now this. :bang:

Has anyone tested their camera on here, another topic from flikr

http://www.flickr.com/groups/d600club/discuss/72157631688454226/

kevin

kevin obrian said:
Not so sure now loosing faith with Nikon now, First D7000 focus issues. Then D800 left focus issues. Now this. :bang:

kevin

The dust issue is a lot more pronounced on high res sensors and is generally a big issue with people moving from old cameras, I noticed it a lot moving from 6mp D40 to 16mp D7000. If its oil I suggest using the camera for a couple of thousand accutations before sending it in, this should prevent it occurring again

kevin

I thought All DSLRs were susceptible to dust on the sensors. Its bound to happen when lenses are frequently changed so Im not sure why the big panic and the loss of faith in Nikon. Just Google Canon sensor dust and you will find the same problems.
I nearly didnt buy a D7000 after reading all the oil on sensor issues but I went ahead and Ive never had an issue with oil, though I have had to clean dust from the sensor occasionally. No big deal.

Reading further there is a known problem with the shutter curtain fully aware of dust appearing when you change lenses etc

I did see that article suggesting that the shutter curtain might be responsible. I think at this stage that's just been put forward as a potential cause. There would still need to be dust in the body though so it all comes down to recognising the potential for ingress of dust when changing the lens and taking reasonable steps to minimise that. I will certainly post if my D600 starts to exhibit more than usual issues with dust on the sensor but for now Im more than happy with it.;)

I used to own a Canon 5D mk 11 that suffered seriously from a mucky sensor, oil, dust you name it, I don't seem to have any problems with the D3 or the D7000 although I think I use them pretty much the same way

No issues with my D600, I think every new DSLR will have some dust / oil on the sensor. I plan to clean my sensor after around 3000 actuations anyway. Not many people I know take photos in the real world of blue skies or white walls at f/22 so I don't think anyone needs to worry!

Back