Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Great set of images Steve.

Thank you, I was rather pleased with them :)

It was my first time out with the Nikon 28-80mm AF-D lens so I had no idea what to expect results wise - not bad for a 20+ year old lens :)

Thank you, I was rather pleased with them :)

It was my first time out with the Nikon 28-80mm AF-D lens so I had no idea what to expect results wise - not bad for a 20+ year old lens :)

Is that the plastic fantastic? That and the 28-100 AF-D have a good rep for budget lenses, never mind the age.

Is that the plastic fantastic? That and the 28-100 AF-D have a good rep for budget lenses, never mind the age.

Yes, I believe so. It is well named if it is :)

It certainly has encouraged me to look for some other older glass :)

Yes, I believe so. It is well named if it is :)

It certainly has encouraged me to look for some other older glass :)

I'm using almost entirely older lenses, though whether you consider my images technically good or bad is another matter.

28-105 from the same era as that lens is my holiday/walkabouts zoom, 50 1.8D, manual focus 28 f3.5 and 135 f2.8 are also favourites, and a Sigma 21-35 from the same era is my super-wide. The only contemporary lens I own, a Samyang 85 f1.4, barely gets used now, and although it's super-sharp there is something about the rendering of images from the older primes that I really like.

Last edited:
I'm using almost entirely older lenses, though whether you consider my images technically good or bad is another matter.

28-105 from the same era as that lens is my holiday/walkabouts zoom, 50 1.8D, manual focus 28 f3.5 and 135 f2.8 are also favourites, and a Sigma 21-35 from the same era is my super-wide. The only contemporary lens I own, a Samyang 84 f1.4, barely gets used now, and although it's super-sharp there is something about the rendering of images from the older primes that I really like.

I only have one manual focus lens and that is for my Yashica film SLR - I find manually focussing a DSLR very difficult. I even bought a Katz-Eye for my D90 but still struggled :(

I was told a long time ago that lenses designed for film cameras focus different to those designed specifically for digital SLRs but I have no idea if that's true. Any ideas?

I was told a long time ago that lenses designed for film cameras focus different to those designed specifically for digital SLRs but I have no idea if that's true. Any ideas?

DSLRs have different focussing aids - no split prism or hatching like a film camera, but many, like the D610, have a focus-assist light in the viewfinder that works well with older MF lenses. I use the camera set to the central focus spot and then the focus assist light, though often one can just see if a scene is sharp or not. TBH sometimes if find using this method more reliable in very low light with AF lenses than allowing the camera to focus electronically.

Manual focussing I find only tricky if you have fast moving subjects and/or very shallow DOF, for everything else it’s a doddle. Live view is so useful for it.

DSLRs have different focussing aids - no split prism or hatching like a film camera, but many, like the D610, have a focus-assist light in the viewfinder that works well with older MF lenses. I use the camera set to the central focus spot and then the focus assist light, though often one can just see if a scene is sharp or not. TBH sometimes if find using this method more reliable in very low light with AF lenses than allowing the camera to focus electronically.

I love the split prism on my Yashica - no problem focussing with that :)

As the viewfinder on the D600 is brighter than the Dx bodies I'm used to maybe that will help with manual focussing. I can feel some experimentation coming on ;)

At the end of september I was asked to photograph some cars as they left at the start of a rally in aid of St Peter's Hospice, in Bristol. As this is a charity close to my heart I felt obliged to say yes ... wish I'd seen the weather forecast first though! On the morning of the shoot is was persisting down :(

Here are a few I thought I would share with you.
DSC_2371.jpg by Steve Goodfellow, on Flickr

DSC_2367.jpg by Steve Goodfellow, on Flickr

DSC_2365.jpg by Steve Goodfellow, on Flickr

DSC_2364.jpg by Steve Goodfellow, on Flickr

DSC_2356.jpg by Steve Goodfellow, on Flickr

DSC_2348.jpg by Steve Goodfellow, on Flickr

DSC_2337.jpg by Steve Goodfellow, on Flickr

The car on the far left of each image is a genuine Ford GT40 :)

I got a D600 in May, my first FF and my first Nikon (coming from Pentax). Like Bristolian I have the old 28-80 zoom and agree it's quite a good lens! This is with the Samyang 14mm though.

45061679151_5dd5177930_b.jpg

Now that I like :) Nice one ihasa

I just don't have the patience for landscape photography ... and I'm bone idle to boot.

Cheers Bristolian. Have you looked any further into your sensor spots? Would be interested to see how Nikon reacts to second users at this point in the D600's life. Mine has spots which I will get round to dealing with at some point. But frankly they're easy enough to get rid of with the heal brush.

From Monday Fire Club on the Meadows in Edinburgh. There's normally about 20 to 30 of us

DSC_9825e by Ken, on Flickr

Cheers Bristolian. Have you looked any further into your sensor spots? Would be interested to see how Nikon reacts to second users at this point in the D600's life. Mine has spots which I will get round to dealing with at some point. But frankly they're easy enough to get rid of with the heal brush.

I rang Nikon service yesterday and asked about current policy. Was advised to return the camera with a covering letter saying how many times the sensor has required cleaning and the service manager will consider what to do. the guy on the phone said it didn't matter that I wasn't the original purchaser of the camera or that it was out of warranty.

They sent me a link to get a pre-paid label to send it back and I will do that early next week - I need the camera this weekend :)

Last night I thought I would have a go at cleaning the sensor ready for a day shooting on Saturday - it'll be mired again by Sunday :( After about 90 minues I managed to get most of the spots off but there are some really stubborn ones that I didn't want to get heavy handed with seeing as it will be going into Nikon next week. I'm not likely to be using anything over f/8 on Saturday and the backgrounds are likely to be quite cluttered/blurred so hopefully the remaining spots won't show up too badly. Fingers crossed :)

I rang Nikon service yesterday and asked about current policy. Was advised to return the camera with a covering letter saying how many times the sensor has required cleaning and the service manager will consider what to do. the guy on the phone said it didn't matter that I wasn't the original purchaser of the camera or that it was out of warranty.

They sent me a link to get a pre-paid label to send it back and I will do that early next week - I need the camera this weekend :)

Last night I thought I would have a go at cleaning the sensor ready for a day shooting on Saturday - it'll be mired again by Sunday :( After about 90 minues I managed to get most of the spots off but there are some really stubborn ones that I didn't want to get heavy handed with seeing as it will be going into Nikon next week. I'm not likely to be using anything over f/8 on Saturday and the backgrounds are likely to be quite cluttered/blurred so hopefully the remaining spots won't show up too badly. Fingers crossed :)
They may we’ll send you back a new 610 if it’s been really bad before and always needs cleaning;)

Has any one sent their camera to nikon for free sensor clean recently.. Mine is going for its 3rd visit.. I wonder why the current turn around time is?

Has any one sent their camera to nikon for free sensor clean recently.. Mine is going for its 3rd visit.. I wonder why the current turn around time is?

Think it's time you, politely asked, for a replacement camera.

I haven't managed to get around to sending mine in yet as I've needed it.

Is is quite heavily oiled up again so I will be pressing for a replacement body :)

My plan is to get it sent off this week.

I dunno, I think the spots add a certain grungey charm! ;) I suspect some of this is actually dust so I'll get the rocket blower out as a first step. Pity the D600 can't do a self-sensor clean like my old Pentax bodies did. (I spent ages looking for the function in the menus before I remembered that the camera doesn't have the in-body shake reduction mechanism required for this).
:pentax:

This cleaned up OK with the heal brush btw.

31481864798_73608ca8be_b.jpg

The D600 does have a sensor clean function - It'sd in the SETUP MENU (Page 301 of the user manual). You can tell it to clean now and also clean at startup and shutdown.

Doesn't do a bl00dee thing if it's oil spots though :(

Last edited:
TBH it doesn't make a difference to dust spots either as far as I can see, at least not with the D610 incarnation.

I suspect this function is a gimmick on most cameras not just the D600/610

No it worked well enough on Pentax, you could hear the sensor vibrate. Frrrrup!

Might be being a bit thick but where does the dust go if the camera and lens are sealed?

You don’t have the lens on and can turn the cam over so dust falls out

Hmm, can you a sensor clean with the shutter open? I will have to check tonight whilst I'm packing the camera up to go back to Nikon for a clean.

If you lock the mirror up for cleaning and then open the shutter you can't access the menu system so can't use the built-in sensor clean.

Well after an age looking at all the options for an additional body to accompany my D500, I have taken the plunge and ordered the D610. In the end I decided there was no point in getting another DX Body (I may well keep my D300s as well!) and since I have a number of FX friendly lens I've bought over the years (50 f1.8, 70-200, 70-300, 90 macro) I decided I may as well go FF. Rightly or wrongly I decided the IQ wont be much if any different than the D750 (same sensor or not anyone?) and the advantages the 750 offers I have in the D500. To go with it I went for the 24-85 VR lens which Rockwell really rates but in another group a poster reckons it's worse than a milk bottle bottom. I would appreciate some proper views from folks on here!

It looks like the D610 is nearing the end of production and I was able to pick up body and lens for £929 (gray market).

I have ordered screen protector, but in reality is this needed, and any tips to get the pesky things on without dust bubbles (what happened to the GGS screens that had adhesive around the edge?)

Well after an age looking at all the options for an additional body to accompany my D500, I have taken the plunge and ordered the D610. In the end I decided there was no point in getting another DX Body (I may well keep my D300s as well!) and since I have a number of FX friendly lens I've bought over the years (50 f1.8, 70-200, 70-300, 90 macro) I decided I may as well go FF. Rightly or wrongly I decided the IQ wont be much if any different than the D750 (same sensor or not anyone?) and the advantages the 750 offers I have in the D500. To go with it I went for the 24-85 VR lens which Rockwell really rates but in another group a poster reckons it's worse than a milk bottle bottom. I would appreciate some proper views from folks on here!

It looks like the D610 is nearing the end of production and I was able to pick up body and lens for £929 (gray market).

I have ordered screen protector, but in reality is this needed, and any tips to get the pesky things on without dust bubbles (what happened to the GGS screens that had adhesive around the edge?)

congrats on the new addition.

those fixed screens are quite durable tbf.
d610 was the first full frame camera i bought and i have fond memories of using it. Very nice sensor. focus can struggle in low light at times and this is where the d750 steps up. AND 2 card slots. great idea.

If, for example, you had a d500 and dx lenses would you “swap” your m43 set up for a d600 ?

It would be mainly IG stuff where I hanker for shallow DoF. Or, is it more sensible to get another lens for the d500 ? I currently have 16-80 f2.8/f4, 35 f1.8, 50 f1.8 and 70-300 af-p. For m43 I mainly use p20 f1.7 but have a couple of other lenses too

The 600 does tend to search in very low light. It's a bit challenging locking focus when there are only a few fire cans for ambient light.
I'm considering the 750 for the next festival. The focus assist light on the speedlight helps :)
Samhuinn 2018 by Ken, on Flickr

Samhuinn 2018 by Ken, on Flickr

The lighting was not very good at the pole dance charity show. This was at ISO 3200. No flash allowed.

EUPDS 2018 by Ken, on Flickr

I was at the Loony Dook on the 1st. 900+ took part this year, led by ENC - the Edinburgh Noise Committee.
ENC Loony Dook 2019 by Ken, on Flickr

If, for example, you had a d500 and dx lenses would you “swap” your m43 set up for a d600 ?

It would be mainly IG stuff where I hanker for shallow DoF. Or, is it more sensible to get another lens for the d500 ? I currently have 16-80 f2.8/f4, 35 f1.8, 50 f1.8 and 70-300 af-p. For m43 I mainly use p20 f1.7 but have a couple of other lenses too

a d600 and the 50mm f1.4 shouldn't break the bank. could also sell the 35mm f1.8 in that case too.

Still umming and erring about venturing into FF. I see a pair of d600s in the classifieds for a long time - is this because of the oil problem ? Or they're pretty old ? Or rubbish ? Or... {insert another answer here}

I was thinking Sony but as I have a Nikon lens that would be ok, it would be cheaper for me to stay Nikon, especially as Sony glass is £££.

Still umming and erring about venturing into FF. I see a pair of d600s in the classifieds for a long time - is this because of the oil problem ? Or they're pretty old ? Or rubbish ? Or... {insert another answer here}

I was thinking Sony but as I have a Nikon lens that would be ok, it would be cheaper for me to stay Nikon, especially as Sony glass is £££.

they are not the best to focus in low light, but other than that very, very capable cameras. if the oil issues arises then i think Nikon will replace with a d610.

Back