Nikon D750 & D780

I do prefer the sound of the 35/85 combo rather than the 24/50/85 combo as I'm not a big lover of the 24.

I already have the 50 though and its quite a cheap and cheerful lens so might just get the 35 and 85 and keep the 50.

It would however mean selling my 70-300 VR which to be frank, has not been used since I bought it from here!

Nothing wrong with 35/50/85 or even 24/35/50/85 :D

The 16 35mm f4 VR - can and should produce very good images .......... OK it is biggish ....... but it works really well

When I am not shooting "birds" I carry the 16 35mm f4 VR and the 50mm
If I know there will be portrait shots around I also take the 70 200mm f2.8VR - which again produces some marvellous images .... if not that I will take the 105mm f2.8VR ....... which is also good for general shots
The top quality Nikon zooms are really good and with these really good Nikon, (maybe Sony) sensors cropping is encouraged

(I always have a DPM - either the DP3M or the DPM1 with me)

Last edited:
Well... I'm back.. partly anyway, order placed from Panamoz, glad I waited as it was £20 cheaper this morning!
Think I'm going to try and keep the XT1 as well actually but sell the 10-24 and have a few primes for it, will make a great smaller travel kit if I want it. Might just use the D750 with the 24-120 I still have just now.

Well... I'm back.. partly anyway, order placed from Panamoz, glad I waited as it was £20 cheaper this morning!
Think I'm going to try and keep the XT1 as well actually but sell the 10-24 and have a few primes for it, will make a great smaller travel kit if I want it. Might just use the D750 with the 24-120 I still have just now.

Is this your 2nd or 3rd one?!

£20 cheaper? It only came down to £998 from £1002 as yesterday's price

All the turnover is good for the classifieds economy though!

I've kept an X-E1 with 18-55 for the times a DSLR is too much as well, it's a good idea Chris.

Do you have any more details Rob, I looked on their website and it is £1499 with the option to trade in an old DSLR or CSC for a discount of up to £150, and Nikon's website has cash back of £150 if brought with a lens.

Where did you see the cash back deal on Nikon's website? The only deal I can see expired couple of weeks ago.

The front element on the 85 1.8G is well recessed so no need I reckon. Haven't got the Nikon 35 so can't say.

Wedding season is over for me this weekend, going to pick up another D750 before next years weddings. Keeping an eye on Panamoz, might end up picking it up with the 24-70 despite already having primes covering that range, or just body only, can't really decide.

Although, currently building an extension, exactly how much that comes to might decide for me!

Wedding season is over for me this weekend, going to pick up another D750 before next years weddings. Keeping an eye on Panamoz, might end up picking it up with the 24-70 despite already having primes covering that range, or just body only, can't really decide.

Although, currently building an extension, exactly how much that comes to might decide for me!

If seasons over why bother? Price will only drop further.

If seasons over why bother? Price will only drop further.

Ah I didn't mean in any rush, just before my next one in Feb.

I'm quite glad it's over, looking forward to spending some time trying out new things, I don't dare experiment too much at a wedding!

The front element on the 85 1.8G is well recessed so no need I reckon. Haven't got the Nikon 35 so can't say.

The 35 in not recessed like the 50/85 so not sure to filter or not!

The 35 in not recessed like the 50/85 so not sure to filter or not!

If it makes you feel better stick some filters on. Just get some decent multicoated filters, not the £1 Ebay China specials.

If it makes you feel better stick some filters on. Just get some decent multicoated filters, not the £1 Ebay China specials.

Was just looking at some pro-1 hoya mutli coated ones. Although I have a cheaper hoya UV (c) multi coated filter at home which seemed to do the job.

For me it depends on the cost of the lens. Under £200 I don't really bother. My more expensive lenses all have filters. £20 isn't a huge deal when you've already spent £600-£1000 on a single lens.

Well i wouldn't, especially UV filters. Never seen the need to. The hoods on these new 1.8 primes are quite big and should offer enough protection to the lens unless you're stood at the side of a forest rally. For normal day to day stuff i don't see the point.

YMMV though.

I have had a UV filter on my 24-70 and has saved me on a few occasions. Looking carefully in the light I can see lots of scratches on the UV filter so glad it saved my tank! As for the primes they have nothing on them and the hood protects them fine.

Anyone else pleased with the JPEG output? Everyone goes on about the Fuji's having great images in JPEG but am liking what I am seeing from the D750. I got lazy and saved both RAW and JPEG from a recent family function to quickly send out the JPEGs before the main edit. The RAW images on the other hand only needs me to sort out the noise, sharpening and slight exposure.

Hardly.
Ironically i used to shoot boxing with my D7k and now i have a far better body and lens i don't. :LOL: Although i do have a shoot this weekend for some friends who want some family pics doing to give as presents.

Maybe i should buy a filter? :D

Hardly.
Ironically i used to shoot boxing with my D7k and now i have a far better body and lens i don't. :LOL: Although i do have a shoot this weekend for some friends who want some family pics doing to give as presents.

Maybe i should buy a filter? :D

Here you go. I have made it easier for you.....

Anyone else pleased with the JPEG output? Everyone goes on about the Fuji's having great images in JPEG but am liking what I am seeing from the D750. I got lazy and saved both RAW and JPEG from a recent family function to quickly send out the JPEGs before the main edit. The RAW images on the other hand only needs me to sort out the noise, sharpening and slight exposure.

Was this with everything just set to 0? TBH i hated Fuji JPEGS. Only thing good about them imo was that the colours were better than what Lr could reproduce using the camera profiles.

I remember shooting some pics with my D7100 in JPEG small and thinking 'oh balls' but the results were excellent. So sharp and colourful. The D750 JPEGS have been praised for a long time iirc.

The use of filters or not using one all has been debated to death. The way I understood from several photographers and online debate is that most lenses come with a coating that is more resistant to scratches and damage compared to filters and with modern technology these coatings has improved a lot.

I have never used filter ever and my lens hood has always protected me. I see some dust and smear build up on lens over long use, but a simple wipe with right soft cloth makes it look like new again which proves the point that modern lens coating are more resistant to scratches and cracks.

I will get back to you on the settings. Yes the Fuji colours are praised but the Nikon ones are great for skin tones and events shooting. I do find my XF1 produce some decent colours but that's about it. I had it drummed in that I must shoot RAW to save my bacon in-case of any issues but the JPEGS are near enough ready as is to send out saving a lot of hassle. Family stuff JPEGs and anything else RAW.

RAW is so useful to have just to recover exposure, highlights and shadows. JPG is alright usually for skin tones, white balance, etc

Welcome back.

Just a thought Chris, why don't you try the 16-50mm on the XT1 as a lightweight carry lens as your prefering zooms?. I have had a couple and 18-55mm and IMO there's nothing between them in the IQ stakes. Although I did love the 35mm on the XT1 as a one lens option.

I'm not sure if I have ever scratched a lens or a filter.... both seem pretty tough surfaces to actually scratch!

Well, I know I'm going to get hassle for posting this, calls of RTFM and so on, and yes I deserve it but I'm lazy!!

Still I found this useful and found myself thinking a couple of times that I didn't know it could do that!

Back