Nikon D750 & D780

In what way? I have seen a few reviews on this and all have seemed to have exceptional results.

BTW, i won't be doing this, just a thought that crossed my mind. I shall be sticking with my 24-70. It's an ace lens.

In what way? I have seen a few reviews on this and all have seemed to have exceptional results.

BTW, i won't be doing this, just a thought that crossed my mind. I shall be sticking with my 24-70. It's an ace lens.
I also saw the reviews and thought of getting one and hence tried my brother's lens. I simply didn't like the images that much. if the 35 !.8DX was that great for FX, you'd have seen a lot of people using it as it is 1/4th the price of the FX, but in reality that is not the case. People eventually end up buying the Nikon or Sigma 35 and now the Tamron.

You have a 35 F2.8 and it is a legendary lens and can also do the whole 24-70 range :D. The only choice I see is the Sigma 35 F1.4 for you or the lighter Nikon 35 F1.8FX

Let me know when you get it - interested too see it loaded up!

I just ordered the Sage/Tan for £81.57 via Jessops which included a price match and 15% discount :) and to think I was tempted to just pick up in store on the weekend for £139!

It will arrive tomorrow so will report back.

@minnnt yes the used market is around the £450 mark but will keep my options open as really want it for 2016.

The Tamron 1.8 does seem exciting particularly the VC as it'll come in handy for handheld video and remove the shackles of a tripod from time to time.

It hasn't appeared on Digital Rev or Panamoz yet.

I also saw the reviews and thought of getting one and hence tried my brother's lens. I simply didn't like the images that much. if the 35 !.8DX was that great for FX, you'd have seen a lot of people using it as it is 1/4th the price of the FX, but in reality that is not the case.

Same experience here. Vignettes a lot more than the gushing reviews reckon IME. :(

Get a 28/1.8 instead. :D

Here's a casual one from Bruge's trip. My daughter trying to hold my wife's hand while walking quickly towards her. I should have used a faster speed, but like the image from a personal point of view as I was just responding to her questions on the topic of the title and she went to ask the same to her mother.

Mummy, will you hold my hand forever?
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

I was just looking at Flick'r for photos taken with the 24-85mm and seen the photo there, without realising it was you until after coming back onto the forum.!

Last edited:
Here's a casual one from Bruge's trip. My daughter trying to hold my wife's hand while walking quickly towards her. I should have used a faster speed, but like the image from a personal point of view as I was just responding to her questions on the topic of the title and she went to ask the same to her mother.

Mummy, will you hold my hand forever?
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

Nice shares mate, can you upload at a smaller size though (dimension wise)?

Nice shares mate, can you upload at a smaller size though (dimension wise)?

Sure, are you referring to bandwidth challenges? I prefer seeing images in large size 1600 px wide and it seems to adjust based on monitor resolution something the avforums doesn't support.

Sure, are you referring to bandwidth challenges? I prefer seeing images in large size 1600 px wide and it seems to adjust based on monitor resolution something the avforums doesn't support.

No mate, not bandwidth but rather the way it fills the page/thread. If you check out @minnnt images they are pretty much ideal imo, shows good detail and don't need to scroll so much to get through a single image.

I just ordered the Sage/Tan for £81.57 via Jessops which included a price match and 15% discount :) and to think I was tempted to just pick up in store on the weekend for £139!

It will arrive tomorrow so will report back.

How did you get the 15%?! Great price!

Edit - found it!

Last edited:
That's nice @anibap , lovely expression, good composition and point of focus and works well in B&W.(y)

George.

I hate this thread - it's causing GAS :arghh:

I need some recommendations from members here on wide angle to ultra wide angle lenses. I am holding off my plans to buy the 35 mm prime for the time being. GAS really hurts.

I started my full frame wide angle with the 28-105 and then moved to 24-85 VR which is great, but in certain places it is not wide enough with limited space to back off. Between prime and zoom and I’d prefer zoom as I could use it as a walk around and not keep changing lenses. I see the following options
  1. Nikon 20 F1.8 – Anyone using this here? I have to combine this and the 24-85 on my travel photography
  2. Nikon 18-35 G – Moderately priced and reviews are great.
  3. Nikon 16-35 F4 – Heavy, expensive but has VR which could be handy
  4. Tamron 15-30 2.8 – Too bulky and expensive, but phenomenal performance and VC
I am leaning more towards the Nikon 18-35G, but was wondering if there are any other options? Don’t want to spend too much, unless the lens is really versatile.

Anyone here using 18-35G?

Not sure I like the bag - looks a bit more camera bag like! The Sage version looks pretty good colour combo (although not on jessops website lol).

Not sure I like the bag - looks a bit more camera bag like! The Sage version looks pretty good colour combo (although not on jessops website lol).

You are right. I did not like the black version in any of the Billingham range. Looked plain and camera bag like. The Sage & Tan looks very good in person. The lighting on most of the sites is awful and not doing it justice. It a treat from the OH so got the best deal possible so she can spend the difference on something else for me :) She picked the Sage & Tan.

It is more this.

Last edited:
You are right. I did not like the black version in any of the Billingham range. Looked plain and camera bag like. The Sage & Tan looks very good in person. The lighting on most of the sites is awful and not doing it justice. It a treat from the OH so got the best deal possible so she can spend the difference on something else for me :) She picked the Sage & Tan.

It is more this.

I was looking at Sage/Tan or Sage/Chocolate but the price at Jessops would sway me towards the Tan! Be interesting to see your thoughts. Thinking of getting one for trips to London etc where I would just take one prime.

I need some recommendations from members here on wide angle to ultra wide angle lenses. I am holding off my plans to buy the 35 mm prime for the time being. GAS really hurts.

I started my full frame wide angle with the 28-105 and then moved to 24-85 VR which is great, but in certain places it is not wide enough with limited space to back off. Between prime and zoom and I’d prefer zoom as I could use it as a walk around and not keep changing lenses. I see the following options
  1. Nikon 20 F1.8 – Anyone using this here? I have to combine this and the 24-85 on my travel photography
  4. Tamron 15-30 2.8 – Too bulky and expensive, but phenomenal performance and VC
I am leaning more towards the Nikon 18-35G, but was wondering if there are any other options? Don’t want to spend too much, unless the lens is really versatile.

I am also looing at a wide option. Considering the 20mm prime or 18-35 at the moment. As it will also be used as my wide for weddings the low light performance of the 20mm is tempting for me.

I agree, the 20mm prime will be more suitable for wedding. I am looking forward r a street and landscape one hence bit of range would be useful I guess.

I agree, the 20mm prime will be more suitable for wedding. I am looking forward r a street and landscape one hence bit of range would be useful I guess.

Am quite keen on one of these myself, have the 16-35 and 24-70 but when I go out I like to travel light, and use the 50mm or 85mm if possible, the 20mm would be a good addition

At last I have had time to take a few snaps with my new D750 so maybe I should post a couple. There is a lot of relearning to do, but it all feels good !
First up we went to a beach today - it was damp, dark, and cold, but that didn't stop a young friend from dipping in a toe...

DSC_1552er
by stevewestern on Talk Photography

Last night it was time to practice the Halloween make up for my girls - Clearly they take after Mrs Western..!

DSC_1481e r

Slightly more extreme editing of the younger daughter..

DSC_1475e r

Last edited:

Yes I am :) If you don't need wider it is simply exceptional value for money imo/e - very decent IQ - these were taken on a D610 ...

Lakes_Trip_May_2015_D610-7763-Edit by Paul, on Flickr

Lakes_Trip_May_2015_D610-7928-Edit by Paul, on Flickr

I'm sure the 20mm f1.8 will be excellent too, the 16-35 is, but surprisingly the 18-35 matches it (and may beat it) in IQ terms ime. The tammy will need very expensive filters if you go that route.

Yes I am :) If you don't need wider it is simply exceptional value for money imo/e - very decent IQ - these were taken on a D610 ...

Lakes_Trip_May_2015_D610-7763-Edit by Paul, on Flickr

I'm sure the 20mm f1.8 will be excellent too, the 16-35 is, but surprisingly the 18-35 matches it (and may beat it) in IQ terms ime. The tammy will need very expensive filters if you go that route.

Love the first pic. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Two very nice images yet again m8 @minnnt , my only small bit of crit would be the Boat House is a little tight to the edge of the frame for me. Other than that both very nice.(y)

George.

I personally prefere the second presentation @minnnt , but that's only my preference and of coarse may not necesarily be the same opinion of others.(y)

George.

Hello, great thread and some impressive images. Has anyone purchased their d750 from SLRhut? It's a smidge under £1k....

Thanks

Take a look in the photo shopping section as there are a couple of threads in the for that company in recent weeks

Back