Nikon D750 & D780

I think the new 24 1.8 would be a good partner to the 58. Either that or the sigma art

Last edited:
Just been looking at the Flickr group. The rendering of the OOF areas looks REALLY nice.

Damn.

Am i crazy selling the 24-70/85 and replacing them with the 58?

Yup, its also pretty ridiculous when a 24 is almost as sharp as one of the sharpest lenses around 35 art).

No, but im a prime gentleman... And always found the 85 that little bit to long. Ymmv

Just been looking at the Flickr group. The rendering of the OOF areas looks REALLY nice.

Damn.

Yes ;)

What wouldn't be crazy would be to buy the 58mm and donate the 24-70 and 85mm to me :p

Just get the 58 [emoji1]

If you donate £857 to me then i will deliver them personally...

Just sayin'.

:D

I did say i was contemplating doing something crazy with my lens line up... :D
I wish I had it, these are the two lenses I want to complete my lens lineup. Do you do finance :LOL:

those that are want a 58 1.4 - why not look at the voigtlander nocton - its manual but a great lens.

Gaviscon ??? [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

Guys, just updated the firmware on my D750 and then went out and shot a gig where i used my 70-200 F2.8 Normally this is a killer lens and have had some great results with it. Didnt seem to get the same level of result last night and was wondering if this new level of firmware has impacted on Autofocus function

Guys, just updated the firmware on my D750 and then went out and shot a gig where i used my 70-200 F2.8 Normally this is a killer lens and have had some great results with it. Didnt seem to get the same level of result last night and was wondering if this new level of firmware has impacted on Autofocus function

Shouldn't have made a difference afaik. I think the firmware update was mainly to do with video? Any other speak of it on the net? I haven't updated yet so can't really say for sure.

Dunure storms by Chris Marr, on Flickr

First time out in ages, weather wasn't on my side but It was fun . Need to look at a heavier tripod after Xmas i think now !

Still a great shot Chris. I think the weather has added to your shot no end!

I know it's one of the sharpest lenses 'in the world' but it just seems to lack something for me. No idea what or why though. :thinking: But £400 difference is not to be scoffed at i guess...

Shouldn't have made a difference afaik. I think the firmware update was mainly to do with video? Any other speak of it on the net? I haven't updated yet so can't really say for sure.

It was the same

Still a great shot Chris. I think the weather has added to your shot no end!

I know it's one of the sharpest lenses 'in the world' but it just seems to lack something for me. No idea what or why though. :thinking: But £400 difference is not to be scoffed at i guess...

Sigma lenses are brilliant but IMO a bit too clinical. They get the job done, they're good value and razor sharp but they're missing real character.

Nikon themselves are the first to acknowledge the "flaws" of the 58 because that's how they intended it to be. Some lenses are better when you don't try to control them too much.

Damn.

Just a thought David as I know you like your zooms. Why not buy what ever prime you fancy and get the cheaper but very good 35-70 f2.8 lens as your zoom option. They can be picked up for less than £200 and a lot of people like them and find optically, there's not much difference over the 24/28 -70mm lens.

If i bought the 58 then i wouldn't be able to afford anything else. :D i do get your point though.

Honestly I think you would regret it. At the minute it seems like you enjoy shooting different kinds of things and for that a versatile zoom is much better suited.

It's only because of what ( and how) I want to shoot in the future that leads me towards a couple of top notch primes.

Nikon themselves are the first to acknowledge the "flaws" of the 58 because that's how they intended it to be. Some lenses are better when you don't try to control them too much.

^^This^^
I am also thinking about the 58mm as a "companion" to my 135 f2 DC.
The "optical flaws" in the 135 are exactly what makes it such a good lens for it's designed purpose.
In the case of the 135, the rendering of skintones is helped by the red wavelength focussing on a slightly different plane to the blue and the green.
I tested mine using Focal, to adjust my microfocus, and one of the results which Focal gives you is the accuracy of the different colours focussing.
this is why, if Nikon do ever produce a 1.8G 135mm, or even just update it, I doubt it will be the same image produced by the new version.

I suspect the 58mm is a similar beast.
Certainly not perfect, optically, but that is exactly why it's so damned nice !

I need to stop talking myself into buying lenses.
Haven't been able to do that yet though !

Sorry David, in retrospect, that post probably doesn't help !

Honestly I think you would regret it. At the minute it seems like you enjoy shooting different kinds of things and for that a versatile zoom is much better suited.

It's only because of what ( and how) I want to shoot in the future that leads me towards a couple of top notch primes.

:plus1:

I think you shoot too much variety to limit yourself with the 58 mate. Have looked at it myself but I'm recovering well from my GAS addiction, the counselling has really helped. Oh, and having a child seems to have kept me on the wagon a little longer.

Dunure storms by Chris Marr, on Flickr

First time out in ages, weather wasn't on my side but It was fun . Need to look at a heavier tripod after Xmas i think now !

That's one very nice shot Chris, great composition, really good sky, and some nice movement in the water with spot on exposure giving good detail in the shadows & highlights.(y)

George.

I will be ordering my D750 on the 18th Dec from Panamoz, hopefully it will arrive in time for Christmas. What tests do I need to do when I receive it to confirm it does not suffer from any common issues, I know Panamoz are very good with repairs/returns, I just want to know as soon as possible if there are any issues with the camera that I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance :)

I will be ordering my D750 on the 18th Dec from Panamoz, hopefully it will arrive in time for Christmas. What tests do I need to do when I receive it to confirm it does not suffer from any common issues, I know Panamoz are very good with repairs/returns, I just want to know as soon as possible if there are any issues with the camera that I should be aware of.

Tests?
Just go out and use it.
Stop looking for problems.
If you find one, get it sorted, but don't go actively looking for them.

Tests?
Just go out and use it.
Stop looking for problems.
If you find one, get it sorted, but don't go actively looking for them.
It's not so much looking for problems, I just wanted to know if there were common issues that I should be aware of so I can determine quickly if I have a good or bad copy.

Hello mate. Panamoz's stock is free from any issues but to put your mind at ease you can check the serial number against those listed as affected on the Nikon website.

I contacted Panamoz today and they said to ensure delivery for Christmas they recommended ordering by the 15th.

Anyway, welcome to the gang, look forward to seeing some pics from you!

I bought my D750 from Panamoz, they assured me it was free of known defects when I ordered it and I checked it on the Nikon site when I got it. All clear.

No issues, they were only with the early batch, all new D750's are now free from any defects.

Back