Nikon D750 & D780

Lol, I have had a manual 20mm Nikon that my friend borrowed me over a year ago and I have used it twice, however I still want a wide angle lol, I used another friends 14mm Samyang on his 5D MK3 and I was impressed with the results. Will prob get one just so the wide angle is covered, 35mm is the widest lens I have. That would give me 14/35/85

Lol, I have had a manual 20mm Nikon that my friend borrowed me over a year ago and I have used it twice, however I still want a wide angle lol, I used another friends 14mm Samyang on his 5D MK3 and I was impressed with the results. Will prob get one just so the wide angle is covered, 35mm is the widest lens I have. That would give me 14/35/85

Yeah i fancy it, just thinking what else i could instead... Not sure what that is though. Haha.

Do it! You may keep this Samyang longer than the last ;)

Yeah, good point. I've had 2 before and quite liked them both tbh.

Your right the 50mm is a fair weight to be fair!

I received my new toy today.... a new D810.. as much as I liked the D750 I have kept looking back at images from my D800 and theres just something extra about the landscape and architecture shots I took with it so I've made the change, a little different to what I was expecting to do (go mirrorless) but ultimately for me I think the right call.

I did order a used mint 18-35G (£360 from WEX) a Nikon 35mm f1.8G ( again used from WEX £330) and a couple of compact flash cards but will see how I go with that, I still have a 50mm and Tamron 70-300 which will be fine on the few occasions I use anything longer than about 70mm...

I've still got a few Fuji bits to move and that cash will probably end up going on a 24-70 as 90%+ of my shots have been taken with a Tamron 24-70 the last couple of years with the 35mm in my bag so I can take just that and the D810 and be a bit more compact!
£360 for an 18-35 is really good, I will have to keep an eye on Wex.

bought my D750 back in august and have been enjoying it immensly. Pickup mine up with a 24 -120 F4 and continued to use my DX tokina 11-16 f2.8

Thought it was about time i contributed to this thread:

Nikon D750 with a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 - 16mm f9 1.6 secs ISO 2000

Angelsey Abbey Winter Lights 2015 (3)

by David Baterip, on Flickr

D750 with a Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 16mm F6.3 ISO 1000 3 sec exposure

Angelsey Abbey Winter Lights 2015 (4)

Nikon D750 with a Nikon 24-120 F16 24mm 8 secs @ ISO 500

Angelsey Abbey Winter Lights 2015 (2)

Haven't posted any pics for a while...............Went out for a little stroll yesterday as I have hardly been out for the last six weeks. Had a wander around a Canal which I have only recently discovered when taking the mutt to pooch parlour in a different town.I was looking for Kingfishers on my last visit where I spotted two, no such luck yesterday. Managed a few duck shots though, the area has loads of potential for further visits when weather starts clearing up!

Aberdulias Canal by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Mallard family by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Thanks Gregg, I wanted to try my new (sh) Tamron 19-35mm lens out, but in the end I just stuck with the Tamron 70-300 VC lens as the weather was not the greatest. Had a gutsfull of the rain now!

you cerainally got a great copy of the 24-85mm
I am really satisfied with its performance. At times I think of checking the Tamron 24-70 2.8 for the faster aperture advantage only as the added benefit.

I am really satisfied with its performance. At times I think of checking the Tamron 24-70 2.8 for the faster aperture advantage only as the added benefit.
Ive owned the Tamron and i thought the 24-85mm is better for corner sharpness at all apertures and just sharper over all generally, then of course theres the weight.

Yeah, just looking at that review - I'm not craving the 58 in any way, but it is one of those lenses I would love to try, or will buy when my lottery numbers come up.
As for the Lensbaby, it struck me as something that maybe, just maybe, could fill the gap to some extent....

The reason I am curious is that there is one in the classifieds and while I got very little use from my old bendy Lensbaby (I also owned a 135mm Canon soft focus which also got little use) it did catch my eye..

Ive owned the Tamron and i thought the 24-85mm is better for corner sharpness at all apertures and just sharper over all generally, then of course theres the weight.
DXO ranks the Tamron above all other standard zooms including the Nikon 24-70 2.8. Does it make the D750 front heavy?

DXO ranks the Tamron above all other standard zooms including the Nikon 24-70 2.8. Does it make the D750 front heavy?
For me yes, i was used to the full size pro cameras like the D3S and D4 where everything was a nice balance, the Tamron while not actually overly heavy at 29oz its half as much again as the Nikon at 16oz and nearly 2 inch longer, i would say try before you buy.

I had the 24-70 Tamron. It does feel ok on the D750 but then you put a prime on and you realise thta it is quite a beast!

Panamoz update, ordered items on Tuesday at 11:30am, and they were delivered Thursday at 10:15am, how friggin good is that!

Now I just need to get to the mother-in laws to pick them up :)

Still experimenting ;)

Havana Club 7 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Not sure why, but the "Havana Club" on the label looks soft/blurred when you zoom in on Flickr but it doesn't on the original. Any ideas?

Last edited:
For me yes, i was used to the full size pro cameras like the D3S and D4 where everything was a nice balance, the Tamron while not actually overly heavy at 29oz its half as much again as the Nikon at 16oz and nearly 2 inch longer, i would say try before you buy.

I had the 24-70 Tamron. It does feel ok on the D750 but then you put a prime on and you realise thta it is quite a beast!

Thanks to both of you. I held the Tamron on a Canon 5DMKIII and it balanced quite well even though bit heavy for my liking. The D750 is lighter and hence I was wondering on the balance. I will see if TP or AVF member has a Tamron for Nikon mount close to London and try it or go to a shop and try it on my D750.

The only reason I might consider the Tamron is a stop faster for handheld shooting at low lights and in that case I will have to sell my 24-85. Of course I can get a prime like the 20 or 24 1.8, but while travelling I would like to keep a one lens solution for most scenarios. I have shot with the 24-85 at even ISO 8000 and the images are acceptable with mild noise reduction, but with the Tammy I might get away with the same shutter speed at a f stop lower.

Or may be I should just be happy with 24-85 VR (it is really good) and look for a wider lens like the 18-35G or Nikon 20 1.8 for church interiors and wider landscapes. I have downsized my lens collection in the last 2-3 years as I moved to full frame and so far, I have successfully controlled my GAS, but I am itching for either a wider lens or a 35 prime. If I buy a 35 prime, the 24-85 will stay or get replaced by the Tamron 24-70. I had the 35 DX on my DX setup and loved it although on FX the 35ED will be wider.

Ani, ...........Looking at your photo's with the 24-85mm I would certainly only consider selling if the Tamron you buy is a very good copy, buy from somewhere like Amazon who have a good returns procedure. Also, for travelling the Nikon is going to be a bit lighter as Gary mentioned above.

I actually always found the Tamron to be ok on the D750, a little front heavy compared to the D800 but a nice size.

Ani, ...........Looking at your photo's with the 24-85mm I would certainly only consider selling if the Tamron you buy is a very good copy, buy from somewhere like Amazon who have a good returns procedure. Also, for travelling the Nikon is going to be a bit lighter as Gary mentioned above.

Agree with you. I have heard the same about Tamron in terms of getting a good copy as it seems their lenses vary and it could be hard to get a good copy if you are not lucky . I had a second hand 70-300 VC and it was razor sharp, I sold it to fund my new FX and then bought it via Amazon lightning deal and went through three copies eventually giving up and returning the lens to Amazon.

Still experimenting ;)

Havana Club 7 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Not sure why, but the "Havana Club" on the label looks soft/blurred when you zoom in on Flickr but it doesn't on the original. Any ideas?

Like the shot. Only comment is you should get some fresh lime.:D

Prepping for the AV comp?

Like the shot. Only comment is you should get some fresh lime.:D

Prepping for the AV comp?
Lime was fresh, I just can't cut ;) Not sure what I'm doing for the comp to be honest, did question if I'd do something like this but not entirely happy with the results so far.

Back