Nikon D750 & D780

I bought a Meike grip with remote for mine, I went to use the remote a few days ago and it wouldn't fire the shutter. I am sure a little green light shone on the remote when you half pressed the shutter release, but it doesn't now. The display is fine, but the shutter won't fire on any setting. Is there a green light?
I am using the correct channel.
Anybody else had this problem, and is there a way to reset it? I contacted the retailer and they are sending me a new remote anyway, it's just frustrating the old one has apparently packed up and I have never used apart from setting it all up when I first got it

Last of the bottle shots for a while, I promise :p One speedlight and softbox, two shots to get the light on both sides and used a reflector to get the light on the front of the bottle.

Havana Club Low Key by TDG-77, on Flickr

And a bit of fun for the release of Star Wars. Used a 10" Darth Vader figure for the helmet, same principle as the bottle but with no reflector so no light on the face.

Havana Club Dark Side by TDG-77, on Flickr

I bought a Meike grip with remote for mine, I went to use the remote a few days ago and it wouldn't fire the shutter. I am sure a little green light shone on the remote when you half pressed the shutter release, but it doesn't now. The display is fine, but the shutter won't fire on any setting. Is there a green light?
I am using the correct channel.
Anybody else had this problem, and is there a way to reset it? I contacted the retailer and they are sending me a new remote anyway, it's just frustrating the old one has apparently packed up and I have never used apart from setting it all up when I first got it
Yes. I have the same grip/remote and had the same problem.
The channel had "Reset" itself. I set it to "00" and all was well. I seem to remember reading that the unit bizarrely ships preset at the "Wrong" channel. You can change the channel on the hand held transmitter, but I've no idea why you would want to as I can see no way of changing the channel in the receiver in the grip.

Does the green led light on the remote when you press the shutter release? I seem to remember mine did, but it doesn't light up now

well i got a reply back from panamoz regarding the lens focusing..

"Thanks for your email. I understand, but please note this is normal for pretty much all Sigma "art" lenses which is why a USB dock is a required accessory (and why Sigma released one), as Sigma never expected great focusing out of their 1.4 lenses from the factory. Therefore, we highly recommend you to tune the lens using the USB dock, especially given that the dock can adjust the focus accuracy based on your focus distance, which solves 99% of focusing issues.

If the USB dock doesn't solve the issue then we will accept the lens back for a full refund, but we will not send you a replacement because most likely, the replacement will not be any better.
"

Frankly i think thats a bit of a cop out but im going away for a week as of tomorrow so will have to stick with it for then. I really dont think a) its normal that sigma knowingly release lenses that need that much of a mod and b) i shouldnt have to fork out £40 on a device to set it up right. So a slightly tarnished rep in my eyes now.

Last edited:
Meh, that is pretty shoddy. I can see why they said that but it's not really great service is it!

I got a Nikon 85 1.4G from Panamoz. I had to set it to +18 on a D750. The first email I sent to complain got a similar response to you. I sent it back and bought from elsewhere.

Their response is a template for anyone who gets a less than stellar lens.

yeah well i will have to use it this week while i'm away but it will be going back once I get home. My only concern is that it goes past their 14 day refund thing so i asked her if i will still be refundable after that time since i raised the issue within the limit.

Sounds like a cop out for Sigma. If the lenses were built properly, you wouldn't need the usb dock to adjust the focus. Panamoz, I guess, are replying from experience, if you need to tune the lens yourself to get it to work properly.
I am sure lenses used to focus properly before cameras, and now lenses, were produced with the fine tune AF facility.....

I purchased a 85mm 1.4 off of Panamoz last year and it had a focus issue, they refunded without question, quite surprised at their response to you.

I got a Nikon 85 1.4G from Panamoz. I had to set it to +18 on a D750. The first email I sent to complain got a similar response to you. I sent it back and bought from elsewhere.

Their response is a template for anyone who gets a less than stellar lens.
I have a 50mm f1.8G and have to have it set to +18. If I'd actually realised within 14 days of purchase from Currys (bought the lens well before the camera due to a deal that was running ;)) then I'd have took it back for exchange, but can't be arsed to send it back under warranty ;)

Micro adjustment is normal with fast primes. All of mine have needed between +2 to +18 on my 750. What stumps me though is that there's less adjustment needed on my 610 and the values differ.

If you want to cover postage both way I'm happy to send my dock to you for a week or two

Cheers for the offer but I've mailed them to take it back for a refund. I've got a 24mm that will do for now and I can use this one till the courier arrives. It's just frustrating. At least the body is good.

Micro adjustment is normal with fast primes. All of mine have needed between +2 to +18 on my 750. What stumps me though is that there's less adjustment needed on my 610 and the values differ.
I usually don't 'worry' if they're within +/- 10, but 18 is a lot and would have been returned as I said. Dunno why I have this cut off point tbh, I guess we all have our quirks ;)

I usually don't 'worry' if they're within +/- 10, but 18 is a lot and would have been returned as I said. Dunno why I have this cut off point tbh, I guess we all have our quirks ;)

A few years back I probably would have, but then realised its still well within the tolerance. The fact it's my 85mm means that due to the considerably less tolerance wide open a few points doesn't equate to much. Once it's set, it's set.

Quick numpty question, is is possible to change the size of the AF square in liveview as it's large compared to those seen in the viewfinder?

Press the button with the AF/M switch around it and spin the front dial.
Thanks, never tried that as I just assumed it would change the focus mode (y)

Agree with you. I have heard the same about Tamron in terms of getting a good copy as it seems their lenses vary and it could be hard to get a good copy if you are not lucky . I had a second hand 70-300 VC and it was razor sharp, I sold it to fund my new FX and then bought it via Amazon lightning deal and went through three copies eventually giving up and returning the lens to Amazon.
Ooohhhh can I moan about tamron again. I have a 24-70 3 year old paper weight. Their service and after sales I find most shocking. I'm still in discussions with them as they say mine has impact damage. But it's immaculate.
So it's not working at the min. I was going to get a different lens from them. Err no chance now.

Hi Karen,
I'm sure that you will enjoy your new D750 - just another little learning curve to go through!:)

Hi Karen,
I'm sure that you will enjoy your new D750 - just another little learning curve to go through!:)
Agreed it will undoubtedly feel very unfamiliar and probably frustrating until you get used to it, but I'm sure you'll (Karen) will love it when you do.

Good choice Karen!

Chris, that's an awesome image [emoji106][emoji106]

Made the effort to get out and about this morning. Lily came too which is always nice. :)

Tried to use the layered foreground as a lead in to the lone tree on Back Tor. I managed to find a viewpoint where the tree was positioned in the nook of Back Tor and Losehill. Used the CPL to try and add a little something to the sky. Only ever used it for killing reflections on water before but i quite like the effect it's had.

The Lone Tree
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Sunrise was pretty crap really, but once it got going it offered up some nice light.

Sunrise over Hope Valley

The Hope Valley landscape is blighted by the damn cement works, but it can add a little something. Sometimes.

Beauty and the beast

Awesome light!

Rays

Awesome Daughter:

Lily

Awesome... Erm... Hat?

Me!

Hazy morning light