Nikon D750 & D780

Nothing wrong with those imo. Were many scenarios like the first shot, and if so where were you focussing? The reason that I ask is that the horses are getting close to being silhouetted and as such there's not much contrast for you AF system and if you were focussing on the horse rather than the rider then this might be why you struggled.

Probably the horse, it was all happening quite quickly with the 3 horses messing round lol!

All these good pics being posted and everyone still wanting to get a D500.:thinking:

I don't get it either, if the D750 was the limiting factor for me but I know it's not what stops me getting good wildlife images. There are some advantages to the D500 but also some disadvantages too, I think a lot of it is the D500 is newer and so many have been waiting for a D300 replacement.

I don't get it either, if the D750 was the limiting factor for me but I know it's not what stops me getting good wildlife images. There are some advantages to the D500 but also some disadvantages too, I think a lot of it is the D500 is newer and so many have been waiting for a D300 replacement.
GAS, GAS, and more GAS ;)

Why is there no credible list as to which Nikon lenses are weather resistant? I know weather resistance is a bit of a grey area but it would be nice to know whether your gear is able to withstand a light shower without disintegrating ;) For example my 24-120mm f4 is a great walkabout lens but I can't find conclusive evidence as to whether or not I can get even the slightest hint of rain on it. Likewise my 18-35mm o_O

Why is there no credible list as to which Nikon lenses are weather resistant? I know weather resistance is a bit of a grey area but it would be nice to know whether your gear is able to withstand a light shower without disintegrating ;) For example my 24-120mm f4 is a great walkabout lens but I can't find conclusive evidence as to whether or not I can get even the slightest hint of rain on it. Likewise my 18-35mm o_O

It's a good question that I have no idea about either! I have used my 70-200 in light rain but nothing major, but I guess it might be better sealed with internal zooming? Possibly?

I know the 24-120 does seem to suck in a fair bit of air so would worry about moisture. I could be talking rubbish though!!

As JJ! mentioned, probably internal zooming is a clue. That said I've used my 28-300 in the rain (making sure the lens points down as much as possible) and extended the zoom when I got home, dabbed off the visible raindrops then left it extended to dry out naturally. So long as you don't get lenses absolutely soaked (as in dropped in water) they should be OK with a bit of thought.

Any tips for loose lens hoods? Not super loose but it always baffles me how some hoods fit super tight and some have some play in them! quality control I guess!

Any tips for loose lens hoods? Not super loose but it always baffles me how some hoods fit super tight and some have some play in them! quality control I guess!
TBH I prefer these tight ones as I have had some that a bit loser and lost them...

You stick to the D750 then pal?

Who knows.

If you were nearby would of let you borrowed mine for a few days and I borrow yours that way you get a feel of it [emoji3]

Truth is the D750 is one of the best DSLRs on the market, a D500 although better in some aspects (and worse in others as you mentioned) it will not make better photographers.

Who here has hit the physical limits of the D750?

I get GAS, and suffer occasionally, but just admit it's for the sake of buying a new camera (GAS) rather than creating better photographs.

All that said, light up buttons on the D750 replacement would be good.

Truth is the D750 is one of the best DSLRs on the market, a D500 although better in some aspects (and worse in others as you mentioned) it will not make better photographers.

Who here has hit the physical limits of the D750?

I get GAS, and suffer occasionally, but just admit it's for the sake of buying a new camera (GAS) rather than creating better photographs.

All that said, light up buttons on the D750 replacement would be good.
I hit the limits sometimes when it comes to the AF system, or should I say I ask too much of the AF system ;) Also, when shooting wildlife I find the small AF spread a nuisance on occasion. Other than that I don't reach the limits (unless we're talking about DR, but that's due to the scene not me ;))

I do find the small cluster of AF points a limitation at times, but not liek evey time! The extra FPS would help get a few extra shots and maybe get that perfect leg position when it comes to horses. But saying that, it seems the only person who worries about these things is the photographer and not the person who is in the photos!

There are (minor) niggles but look at the price point vs performance, imo you need to spend a hell of a lot more to get a better all rounder.
Completely agree, I keep flirting with other cameras/systems and it makes me realise just how good the D750 is (y)

As said here or in another thread I can't quite remember the d750 is more than enough camera for most of us and more capable than most of us [emoji6]

As said here or in another thread I can't quite remember the d750 is more than enough camera for most of us and more capable than most of us [emoji6]

D40 was beyond my capabilities!

I hit the limits sometimes when it comes to the AF system, or should I say I ask too much of the AF system ;) Also, when shooting wildlife I find the small AF spread a nuisance on occasion. Other than that I don't reach the limits (unless we're talking about DR, but that's due to the scene not me ;))

How did people ever cope with MF or primitive AF systems? You sure it's perfectly setup using custom options etc...

Anyway sounds like the ultimate camera is the D500, and then you'll have to nail every shot, as you'll have run out of excuses

This.

You'll also end up with twice as many images to sift through...

My Wife doesn't understand why I am so fussy when it comes to photos. Maybe I should just listen to her... womem always right? Right?

My Wife doesn't understand why I am so fussy when it comes to photos. Maybe I should just listen to her... womem always right? Right?

Not always ha ha

Mine just picks out the photos with the most emotional attachment in them, regardless of whether their in focus/sharp/noise free/taken on a V Tech camera...

Yes this - I showed the girls all the photos and they loved them all... I was like, really??

I need to learn to be less fussy!

How did people ever cope with MF or primitive AF systems? You sure it's perfectly setup using custom options etc...

Anyway sounds like the ultimate camera is the D500, and then you'll have to nail every shot, as you'll have run out of excuses

Oh, I predict some of the D500 folk will still be making excuses and searching for the camera that takes the perfect images;)

I think the main draw for me of the D500 is the FPS if I am being honest. As mentioned before its quite a handy edition for equestrian work (well jumping mainly). But everything else the D750 is perfect!

I think the main draw for me of the D500 is the FPS if I am being honest. As mentioned before its quite a handy edition for equestrian work (well jumping mainly). But everything else the D750 is perfect!

Not just that. The spread of AF is brill too as you have the whole frame to work with

Same, low light acquisition, wider spread, more cross type etc. Could always be better.

I do find the small cluster of AF points a limitation at times, but not liek evey time! The extra FPS would help get a few extra shots and maybe get that perfect leg position when it comes to horses. But saying that, it seems the only person who worries about these things is the photographer and not the person who is in the photos!
There's nothing wrong with striving for perfection, as long as you don't lose sight of the big picture. But most people wouldn't notice/think about the horse leg position. With more FPS you'll just end up with more frames that don't have the 'perfect' leg position.

Yes I've tried every setting going. I'm not saying I can't cope, just the point was about reaching limits of the camera. Have you never had a time when the AF system hasn't reacted as quickly as you'd like, or tracked a certain target due to lack of contrast or something else. I've had several low light occasions where there's not been enough light or contrast for the outer AF points to be able to lock and reverted to the centre point. Obviously I've worked around it, but it's a limit of the AF system that's all I'm saying :p

In this situation I do think that the D500 may have performed better as is has cross type AF points on the outer ones, but would I swap my D750 just for this? Nope ;)

I get the same ;)

Mine just picks out the photos with the most emotional attachment in them, regardless of whether their in focus/sharp/noise free/taken on a V Tech camera...
And this, imo, is where we as photographers go wrong, at least with our own stuff. It's like the kid pics I took for my friend the other day, I showed them to my wife and there was one that she loved and I said yeah but the eyes aren't sharp. Her reply was that she couldn't tell and just look at the kid's expression. Do you know what, she's right ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ!
I am wondering why the D500 is that much bigger than the D750? Is it down to the build quality or materials used?

@snerkler some very valid points there. I think we all get to drawn in to the little things rather than looking at the bigger picture.

I see a horse thats not as sharp as I would have hoped for - the wife sees the happiness on her and he horses face!

Last edited:
Same, low light acquisition, wider spread, more cross type etc. Could always be better.
You beat me too it, I just mentioned that as I've had to revert to the centre point and forego the ideal composition.

I am wondering why the D500 is that much bigger than the D750? Is it down to the build quality or materials used?
I thought it was only fractionally bigger? I'm guessing it's quite a bit more robust tbh as you'd normally expect a crop sensor camera to be smaller, so I'm guessing you could throw the D500 about a bit, so to speak.

I thought it was only fractionally bigger? I'm guessing it's quite a bit more robust tbh as you'd normally expect a crop sensor camera to be smaller, so I'm guessing you could throw the D500 about a bit, so to speak.

Yes it more stronger build it feels that way too. Maybe they made it a bit bigger for big lens for birding even though most would want grips.

It not that much bigger. The d750 is the sweet spot for size.

The dimensions are only a bit bigger, but once you have it next to the D750 its definatly quite a chunky monkey!

You beat me too it, I just mentioned that as I've had to revert to the centre point and forego the ideal composition.
The same focusing mechanism as designed for DX cameras so the spread is much reduced in "Full frame". And yes, for me and my gig stuff, a complete pain in the a$se!
I have to use the least efficient points (the outer ones), and as I'm usually shooting at 2.8 or wider (and the subject is fast moving) the lock focus and recompose isn't an option.

Edit. Same with my D3s...and no doubt all Nikon's full frame models.

Last edited:
The same focusing mechanism as designed for DX cameras so the spread is much reduced in "Full frame". And yes, for me and my gig stuff, a complete pain in the a$se!
I have to use the least efficient points (the outer ones), and as I'm usually shooting at 2.8 or wider (and the subject is fast moving) the lock focus and recompose isn't an option.

Edit. Same with my D3s...and no doubt all Nikon's full frame models.
Yeah I realise that FF are always more centrally located, but I must admit I thought it was more to do with the amount of light hitting the AF module rather than due to sharing between systems. Obviously as the crop has a smaller image circle the AF points are effectively spread further across the frame. Either way, I do hope that the D750 replacement has cross type on the outer points. I can't see why it wouldn't as I would imagine it'll use a version of that in the D5/D500.

Back