Nikon D750 & D780

Wow.... was a joke...

and you call me the touchy one!

Don't get all swear like with me just because the DF has ruined your quality touch!

Now you know someone will bite at that LoL
Its good to know it might just be settling in so to speak still seems a bit odd though but then Nikons do seem to have had a few odd issues the last couple of years :wacky:
I must admit I am loving the photos it produces I am getting better results with this than the D7000 even after some heavy cropping to make up for the lack of reach, still need to practice more and learn lightroom, I need to sit down with some one as I don't seem to learn as well from web tutorials..
Another great shot by the way!

Keep an eye out for the problem. It might be more than I've encountered. Sometimes a slightly off lens connection can cause trouble. I used to get that a lot with one particular lens (I forget which one) on my D3S. Give the lens a twist and it cleared itself.

The great thing about Lightroom is you can play around with the sliders to your heart's content and just click back on the import settings and start again. I tend to learn by fiddling about - but I don't do a lot of processing to my pics.

Jack is always happy but if he has a ball or a stick he is extra happy. Mad as a box of frogs :)

I'm just uploading some pics - wait till you see my friends dog... imagine Yoda in dog form... she is it lol

walk-0164 by Ian Caldwell, on Flickr

Not technically great ok not great but just playing and trying to see what the 750 will do, I don't think slow auto focus will be a problem though :)
Lovely image that..

lookes like the D500 and the 70-200 2.8 VRII a good combo as I been thinking of getting that lens very soon I know it a excellent lens was just thinking wether to get a different Length..

Edit

Ignore me though I was I. D500 thread lol

Last edited:
Now you know someone will bite at that LoL
Its good to know it might just be settling in so to speak still seems a bit odd though but then Nikons do seem to have had a few odd issues the last couple of years :wacky:
I must admit I am loving the photos it produces I am getting better results with this than the D7000 even after some heavy cropping to make up for the lack of reach, still need to practice more and learn lightroom, I need to sit down with some one as I don't seem to learn as well from web tutorials..
Another great shot by the way!
I ran some tests with the D750 and D7200 using the same lens, same settings, tripod remote shutter etc etc and I got better reach with the D750 due to it being able to crop better and retain IQ. Contentious issue, but this was my findings in a controlled environment. I did get the same results (ie the D750 better after cropping) in the real world shooting birds too.

walk-0164 by Ian Caldwell, on Flickr

Not technically great ok not great but just playing and trying to see what the 750 will do, I don't think slow auto focus will be a problem though :)
Nice shot but there's one glaring error, you've used f5.6 instead of shooting wide open. I didn't even know my 70-200mm f2.8 stopped down ;) :LOL:

Lovely image that..

lookes like the D500 and the 70-200 2.8 VRII a good combo as I been thinking of getting that lens very soon I know it a excellent lens was just thinking wether to get a different Length..

Edit

Ignore me though I was I. D500 thread lol
It'll still be nice on the D500 (y)

Was really struggling with sharp images today. I am not sure why. They have come out so different from the hunt photos the other day. No idea why. Maybe it was the light or just pure user error :(

Same camera, same lens... frustrating day.

Yoda Dog! by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Had some serious shadow issues today!

Fly by! by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Was really struggling with sharp images today. I am not sure why. They have come out so different from the hunt photos the other day. No idea why. Maybe it was the light or just pure user error :(

Same camera, same lens... frustrating day.
Nothing wrong with those two above imo. Just something to bear in mind with your consideration with the D500, you're not going to get the same level of subject isolation in shots like the horse running. You're only at 130mm so not needing the extra reach of the D500 and so not going to gain the subject isolation by using a 'longer' focal length.
A few from a localish country park, (except the dogs which was at home)

Amost had my best ever kingfisher shot today. Light was perfect, then some turd had seen it and tried to get close with their point and shoot. oh well.
There's some muppets in the world :(

dogs at play by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

robin by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

vermin 2 by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

nuthatch by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

vermin by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

Nice pics. Shame you missed focus with the nuthatch.

Last edited:
Nice shot but there's one glaring error, you've used f5.6 instead of shooting wide open. I didn't even know my 70-200mm f2.8 stopped down ;) :LOL:
Ifthats the only glaring error I am a happy bunny LoL (to be honest I forgot to reset the ISO from the last time I used it and 2.8 had such a fast shutter I thought that can't be right but forgot the iso rookie mistake again Doh!! :rolleyes:)

@snerkler I can't afford to accidentally stop down to anything other than F4 lol

There were some worse photos, was having trouble with the sun and shadows and lost so much detail in some of the others.

I can probably try blame everything else but need to understand it's probably user error!

@snerkler I can't afford to accidentally stop down to anything other than F4 lol

There were some worse photos, was having trouble with the sun and shadows and lost so much detail in some of the others.

I can probably try blame everything else but need to understand it's probably user error!
Yeah I edited my post earlier as I saw you have the f4 lens ;) It is frustrating when a shoot doesn't go to plan but I'm sure you'll figure it out and learn from it (y)

A few from a localish country park, (except the dogs which was at home)

Amost had my best ever kingfisher shot today. Light was perfect, then some turd had seen it and tried to get close with their point and shoot. oh well.

dogs at play by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

robin by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

vermin 2 by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

nuthatch by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

vermin by Mark Kingston, on Flickr
Love the robin, I don't know why but I have never been able to get a decent photo of a robin, always to far when I see them out and just don't get them in my garden.
See what you mean about yoda LoL

Yeah I edited my post earlier as I saw you have the f4 lens ;) It is frustrating when a shoot doesn't go to plan but I'm sure you'll figure it out and learn from it (y)

Yeah I will. Just feeling ill and had a s***ty Christmas for numerous reasons and it all adds to the frustration.

Got a few days away and then when back I have been asked to do some more photos so it keeps me practicing.

Does anyone know a way of selling photos or having some sort of store or using a website that takes a small cut? I know photobox used too, not sure if they still do.

Jj, are you using matrix metering for these shots?

Yeah - I tried spot and it just blew out the background too much. Especially as the horses are all pretty dark.

I think my issue was the position and haze from the sun, its really hard to describe the light - but it was less than helpful standing either side.

As everyone is LOVING the horse talk today...just a few more...

Running leap! by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Map my ride had this one at around 30mph... this horse can run!

In top Gear by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

And I cant go and post all these pics without including the wife!

Black Beauty by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

What looks like big specs on the sensor are actually flying bits of mud lol.
Nothing wrong with those imo. Were many scenarios like the first shot, and if so where were you focussing? The reason that I ask is that the horses are getting close to being silhouetted and as such there's not much contrast for you AF system and if you were focussing on the horse rather than the rider then this might be why you struggled.

Back