Nikon D750 & D780

Yes, I recently upgraded to the D750 from the D7000 and this twists my melons as well. I'm going to have a fiddle tonight to see if I can set one of the user settings (U1 or U2?) to turn on the remote function. I hate having to reset by going into the menu every time. I think I did read in the manual that it can be kept on but will have to re read later.

@davys did you manage to sort this?

Cheers.

Thanks folks

More than I expected Lee - I'm still using a 35/1.4 for around 60-70% of the day and the rest is with the 58mm now.

Argghhhh, don't make me want that lens any more than I already do, Guy. Is it defo worth the money?

The Sigma 35 1.4 is an astonishing lens. I'd never dream of paying over twice the price for the Nikon version. I can't imagine how it could be anyway better, probably the sharpest lens wide open I've ever used.

I like the 35 1.8 FX :) Had the Siggy but got rid of it. Its great, but heavy.

Interesting how many wedding togs these days have ditched the long end past 85mm. Only done a few weddings but I found my 70-200 handy for the ceremony as I couldn't get close enough and a few other bits. The weight certainly puts me off them though hence I currently haven't got one in my arsenal.

My Nikkor 35 1.4 is my favourite workhorse though. I have had Sigmas in the past and suffered quite a few issues so have said before that it would have to be something very special indeed for me to ever own one again. I too can't see how the Sigma 35 can be any better than the Nikkor but understandably the price is attractive, each to their own and all that. Maybe if the 135 is ever launched I might plumb for that.

The 58mm is an interesting proposition. I bought the 50 1.8 just to see how often I would use the focal range these days and it's certainly handy to have, even though it feels like a toy. I have noticed that sharpness isn't anything like my 1.4 lemses and is a bit fussy shooting into the sun. Maybe the 58 shines on the 750? Seems to have had a luke warm review in general since its launch.

OK so looking for a 35mm prime. Thinking eithr the Nikon 1.8 Fx or the Sigma 35 art.

Sigma is a lot heavier, the 1.4 is nice but unlikely to use the shallow DOF regularly, although stopped down to 1.8/2.2 etc is it much sharper than the Nikon?

@davys did you manage to sort this?

Cheers.

Hello Andy,

Not had time to fiddle about with the U1 &U2 settings yet, but it's on my list!

However I did find time to go into the manual, find the appropriate page, and find out how to keep the Remote setting on for longer than a few seconds!

Hello Andy,

Not had time to fiddle about with the U1 &U2 settings yet, but it's on my list!

However I did find time to go into the manual, find the appropriate page, and find out how to keep the Remote setting on for longer than a few seconds!

Nice one, found it, now set to 15 minutes :)

Cheers.

I have the Hadley pro - fits my D750 with 24-120 , 50 1.4G and 85 1.4D in nicely. Room for a flash and gorilla pod in the front pockets too.

As a weather watching Irish wedding photographer, the lack of weather sealing does put me off the art range. Not enough to justify the price difference, but it's something I wish Sigma would address. I love my nikkor 35 and 85 lenses but maybe if sigma versions existed when I bought them, i'd have bought differently. We do own the 50 art and it's incredible.

Regarding the 70-200, it's just too heavy and indiscreet (I do own one, but it never comes to weddings). I shoot primes because of the wide apertures and sharpness, but also because of the weight savings. I don't really miss the range above 85mm too much, but I would like to see a sigma art 135mm.

I have the Hadley pro - fits my D750 with 24-120 , 50 1.4G and 85 1.4D in nicely. Room for a flash and gorilla pod in the front pockets too.

Thats good to hear! Its roughly what I'd want to fit in it, either the D750 with the Tamron 24-70 (same size as 24-120) and a prime or 2 on holiday along with a few bits (wallet / glasses) so sounds like it might do the trick! No harm ordering one and returning if I don't like it!

Interesting how many wedding togs these days have ditched the long end past 85mm. Only done a few weddings but I found my 70-200 handy for the ceremony as I couldn't get close enough and a few other bits. The weight certainly puts me off them though hence I currently haven't got one in my arsenal.

My Nikkor 35 1.4 is my favourite workhorse though. I have had Sigmas in the past and suffered quite a few issues so have said before that it would have to be something very special indeed for me to ever own one again. I too can't see how the Sigma 35 can be any better than the Nikkor but understandably the price is attractive, each to their own and all that. Maybe if the 135 is ever launched I might plumb for that.

The 58mm is an interesting proposition. I bought the 50 1.8 just to see how often I would use the focal range these days and it's certainly handy to have, even though it feels like a toy. I have noticed that sharpness isn't anything like my 1.4 lemses and is a bit fussy shooting into the sun. Maybe the 58 shines on the 750? Seems to have had a luke warm review in general since its launch.

IMO it's a lens that doesn't necessarily wow when reviewed as most people look at sharpness and sharpness alone. The Sigma 50mm is sharper but has nothing like the character or warmth of the Nikon 58mm for me. If you shoot people and in low light then the 58mm was built for you.

IMO it's a lens that doesn't necessarily wow when reviewed as most people look at sharpness and sharpness alone. The Sigma 50mm is sharper but has nothing like the character or warmth of the Nikon 58mm for me. If you shoot people and in low light then the 58mm was built for you.

Yep, that'll be me then..... Please don't sing it's praises any more Guy, I feel an itch coming on. Note to self: You don't need it....:)

Yep, that'll be me then..... Please don't sing it's praises any more Guy, I feel an itch coming on. Note to self: You don't need it....:)

I was shooting with my 50 f1.8g yesterday and just thinking how much better it would have been with the 58 f1.4......maybe after I get a 35 art!

have you still got a 50 Guy? Would love to see some comparisons. Completely agree with what you have said regarding the 58mm reviews, everyone I know who has one can't praise it enough. I was considering one but ended up having to upgrade my iMac, so I'll have to carry on resisting for a while.

Last edited:
have you still got a 50 Guy? Would love to see some comparisons. Completely agree with what you have said regarding the 58mm reviews, everyone I know who has one can't praise it enough. I was considering one but ended up having to upgrade my iMac, so I'll have to carry on resisting for a while.

No Phil - I had the 50/1.4 (Nikkor) but the moment I used the 58mm I knew it was a gonner.

What focus settings have you guys found works best for capturing kids/family for personal stuff or weddings for work related matters? I have only ever used manual focus as I've been using my Nikon kit to capture motion and not stills.

I messed around with AF-S, AF-C, AF-A with single or 3D-Tracking and got mixed results with some keepers and some not as sharp as they could be with the Nikon 50/1.4 and 24-70.

I also found the 50/1.4 to be unusable at 1.4 for stills. Might need to AF tune it or try not to shoot wide open.

Enjoying it for motion though. The Auto ISO, powered aperture and having zebra stripes is a big step up. I just hope they add focus peaking one day via a firmware.

Last edited:
I must say that i wanted the 50 1.8 for its lightweight use but it's a bit hit and miss for me. I was trying to set myself up for little gear these next couple of years but there's always a wants list!

What focus settings have you guys found works best for capturing kids/family for personal stuff or weddings for work related matters? I have only ever used manual focus as I've been using my Nikon kit to capture motion and not stills.

I tend to use single point, AF-C most of the time, when shooting family and the cat

Shot with a Sigma 35mm Art
Watching by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Last edited:
I know that opinion is divided on shooting this way, but I love the D750 ability to recover shadows.

simple_tapestry_underexposure_001.jpg

I know that sharpness isn't the only factor when considering a lens but I have to say that the sigma 50mm Art lens is the sharpest 50 I've ever used. And in fact I used a 50mm at a recent wedding more that I have ever before. It really is very good. The 35mm is also good but mine doesn't seem too happy on the D750. It definitely performs better on the D4s. I think I need to get it on the USB dock and see if I can fine tune it.

Funily enough I am toying between getting a Sigma 35 or 50 mm Art lens at the moment. Interesting to hear your thoughts above, Ryan.

Gary, over the past year I've had the 35mm permanently stuck on one of my bodies. I prefer the prime to something like the 24-70 and it's great for things like the getting ready part of the day, wide shots of the service, family groups, details etc etc. It's only literally been this past 2 weeks where I've realised how much I like the 50. But rather than using the 50 instead of the 35 I'm using the 50 instead of the 85. If Sigma release an 85 Art lens I'm sure that would be glued to my camera though. That would be an amazing trio of lenses. And I'd like to get the 24 1.4 Art too. Although, interestingly I was talking to a retailer earlier in the week who was telling me that interest in the 24 1.4 Art is very low in comparison to the 35mm.

I'm using the old Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and I have to admit to being very impressed with it. It suffers from a lot less CA than the Nikon version. I'll have to take a look at that 58mm and the newer Sigma though. :)

Hi Ryan/Si

Have to say I am swerving towards the 35 as a walkabout lens on the D750. I have had Canon 35L, 50L and 85L and loved all FLs for different reasons. Have also had the Sigma 50f1.4 and was quite happy with it but not bowled-over. I have since migrated to Nikon but no longer shoot weddings so do not NEED a wide prime but really fancy having one. I think the Sigma 35 Art it will be... Thanks to both for your comments.

I used to love the Sigma 35 as a walkaround on the D600/D800 used it almost exclusively for a holiday in Italy a couple of years back but traded it for a 24-70 for flexibility.
However the D750 grip and handling is so good that I think the 35mm would be a nice addition to my collection again!

Just sent mine off to get the flare issue sorted, and the top of the mode selector dial replaced as it took a knock on holiday. Hopefully won't get charged a fortune for that little bit of plastic though.

Looking back through lightroom, some of the pics I'm happiest with are on the 85mm F1.8D, thinking I might have to get a faster focusing version of the lens. But can I justify the Nikon 85mm F1.4? Are there any other more reasonably priced options to consider?

Just sent mine off to get the flare issue sorted, and the top of the mode selector dial replaced as it took a knock on holiday. Hopefully won't get charged a fortune for that little bit of plastic though.

Looking back through lightroom, some of the pics I'm happiest with are on the 85mm F1.8D, thinking I might have to get a faster focusing version of the lens. But can I justify the Nikon 85mm F1.4? Are there any other more reasonably priced options to consider?

There was a thread on some of the 85's for use on the D800 a while ago, maybe worth a read > https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/d800-85-f1-4g-or-85-f1-8g.571135/

Hi Andy

I seriously doubt that the Nikon 85f1.4G is £500 better than the Sigma 85f1.4. The latter is definitely worth a look.

Hi Andy

I seriously doubt that the Nikon 85f1.4G is £500 better than the Sigma 85f1.4. The latter is definitely worth a look.

I have both I bought the Nikon as an upgrade from the Sigma. Long story short, yes the Nikon 85mm 1.4G is better but the Sigma is much better value for money and if you get a good copy it will provide 90% of the performance at less than half the cost.

The Nikon 85mm 1.8G is a very good lens as well.

Have just looked at my first images taken with this camera and am really impressed with how much the images can be pushed in PP. Reminds me a lot of the output from my all-time favourite camera Canon's 1DsII. No bad thing !

Back