Nikon D750 & D780

I believe @chrism_scotland has had both. When I looked at buying my last D750 and lens they are close-ish in weight and size. The Tamron is 825gms and the Nikon is 710gms. I should have taken Garys advice and probably gone for the 24-85mm VR which is 465gms, which maybe a consideration if weight is an issue. The new model seems a very good lens over the older one.

I have had the 24-85 before on my D600. Was a nice compact option but ironically i kept my old Tamron 28-75 over it.

Now I am starting again so to speak with the D750 their are so many options/considerations to take in to account when spending proper wedge on my 2nd lens.

Weight is currently not a issue, but then again, I have not used a lens as heavy as the 24-70 before!

Last edited:
How much bigger/heavier is the Tamron 24-70 compared to Nikon 24-120? anyone had both?

There's very little in it, in weight thr 24-70 is about 100g more but it's not noticeable, size wise again very little in it.

IQ wise I thought the Tamron was better but the extra 50mm is also handy!

There's very little in it, in weight thr 24-70 is about 100g more but it's not noticeable, size wise again very little in it.

IQ wise I thought the Tamron was better but the extra 50mm is also handy!

So we need a 24-120 f2.8 VC/VR lol

Did you have to try more than 1 copy of the Tamron?

Use it, enjoy it, change your mind about the 24-120, change it, buy something else, regret selling it, want the 24-120 back, buy another one, change mind, want f2.8... or do you? want primes, or do you?

oh... thats just me lol
sometimes feel like selling it all and getting a point and shoot

50mm f1.8g and the borrowed 28-75 which I have to give back tomorrow. Also been offered the 35mm f1.8g as a loan too as he has just upgraded to the f1.4.

Just did a quick test of how the 50mm performs against the Tamron at f2.8. Not quite a fair test as Tammy was at 75mm, but don't think the results would be much different at 50mm.

Test6_zpsmu2tohe3.jpg

Last edited:
I used the 35mm previously and enjoyed it. Before I spend £600+ on a zoom I will go out and take some more pics!

Thats messing with my eyes!!!

My finger is hovering over the order button on Amazon... in my basket the Tamron 24-70 VC... should i press it... I could... but i'm so not sure I should... i could try it... i could return it... i could not order it at all.... arrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thats messing with my eyes!!!

My finger is hovering over the order button on Amazon... in my basket the Tamron 24-70 VC... should i press it... I could... but i'm so not sure I should... i could try it... i could return it... i could not order it at all.... arrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sounds like someone needs a Zantac.

@JJ! what do you intend to shoot?

Myself?! lol

I'm like the most useless person at decision making. Its an illness I'm sure.

As for photo shooting.... landscapes, people, horses, indoor stuff, so a big mixture of it all!

You are not alone! Being indecisive and not hitting the buy now button is all to common to me....

Have a look at this and this to see what others have shot.

I simplified my set-up and have the Nikon 24-70, 35 F2 and 85 1.8 which all serve their purpose well.

I have used the Tamron 24-70 in the past and it is good and probably would have gone for it had I known more about it when got the Nikon equivalent.

Get the 24-70 as your workhorse lens and the primes for more creative and for when you have more time on your subject.

I'm like the most useless person at decision making. Its an illness I'm sure.
As for photo shooting.... landscapes, people, horses, indoor stuff, so a big mixture of it all!

Most of us like that in terms of indecisiveness to varying degrees :D At one point of time I had many lenses and then I started narrowing down on the list and have only 3 lenses now. The Nikon 24-85 VR for general travel and casual stuff, the 85mm F1.8G for portraits and the 70-200 F4 VR for telephoto (least used so far).

I am ordering a D750 soon and intend to stick to the lenses above and perhaps sell the 70-200 F4.

You can also consider the Nikon 24-85 VR. I compared the 24-85 VR on my D610 to the Tamron 24-70 VC on a Canon 5DM3 of a friend. What we found was that the IQ was not much of different and interestingly the centre sharpness on the 24-85 is better across all FL and apertures. However, the Tamron wins on F2.8 when you are shooting indoors. It is a stop wider and it does help in keeping ISO low when you need it.

I'd definitely recommend the Tamron 24-70 as a walkaround and general purpose lens as you also get a 35 F2.8 out of that giving you plenty of opportunity to shot at that Fl and see if you like it before you order the Nikon 35 F1.8 ot the new tamron 35 F1.8.

For me I will keep the 24-85 as it is a fantastic lens for the money and light to carry around all day while travelling and later add a 35 F1.8.

@redlion

The weight is the only issue! never had/used such a heavy bit of glass.... but maybe thats something that shouldnt put me off before I have actually given it a try.

The glass is heavy but feels well balanced with the D750. For things like landscapes and the horses it seems you have to go out of your way to actually shoot so carrying the extra weight with a decent strap shouldn't be an issue.

Use the primes for indoors and when want to shoot for fun as it feels less of a chore to actually shoot if you know what I mean?

Flashbacks to when I was a CSI. I dealt with a case where this guy used to to call his knives 'his friends' he used to polish them and talk to them and call them 'shiny and nice' As a consequence of one of his violent and murderous actions he is now committed in Broadmoor Hospital for an indefinite period !

Of course I don't put you in this league but just for a split-second it triggered a very bloody and horrific scene in my mind. Stuff I'm trying to and would rather forget. In a more positive note it's an awesome camera I definitely know where you're coming from. You can't beat a sniff-test when you open the box !

Mines now delivered, now for a 12 day wait till I'm allowed to see how Shiny it is!!! It's gunna be a long 12 days!

Well it's time to test out Panamoz customer service. I'm just outside of the 14 day money back and have just emailed them to return my D750 :crying::arghh::crying:

I'm looking to add my own style to my photos using some PP but no idea where to start. I have a full version of photshop and bridge CS6 but no lightroom. Is this something I should get? Is it easier to play with effets in lightroom?

Photoshop seems very much geared for editing, I don't find it very user friendly for photos, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong! I'm not sure what the purpose of Bridge is. I just got a full CS^ package from my work a few years back so no idea!

I'm looking to add my own style to my photos using some PP but no idea where to start. I have a full version of photshop and bridge CS6 but no lightroom. Is this something I should get? Is it easier to play with effets in lightroom?

Photoshop seems very much geared for editing, I don't find it very user friendly for photos, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong! I'm not sure what the purpose of Bridge is. I just got a full CS^ package from my work a few years back so no idea!

Lr cc is the biz mate. Really easy to use and you can create a multitude of presets. I don't even bother with PS nowadays.

Can you but LR outright or do you have to pay monthly?

Lightroom is much more user friendly, I have both but spend 90% of my time in LR, everything is non destructive, it catalogues all your pics and makes them easy to view etc etc. Photoshop for e is for retouching / layers etc.

Back