Nikon D750 & D780

I've only used ff for a few days and wish I'd done it sooner. But having been used to the crop factor on the 500mm sigma. I wasn't sure if I was going to need a teleconverter to get a similar focal distance/ advantage. I know you lose a stop or 2 but I've found with the higher iso advantages of the d750 didn't think it would be an issue

You could also look at the new Nikon 200-500mm lens which is a fixed aperture at f5.6. This lens will also allow you to use the Nikon 1.4TC which will give you a 700mm lens at f8.

Lovely shot I've just had a sigma 105 hsm arrive looking forward to getting out with it over the weekend

Lovely shot I've just had a sigma 105 hsm arrive looking forward to getting out with it over the weekend

Thanks for that Mark, really appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

That is a cracking shot.

Had a hunt for the Aurora after work during the week, the only place that had clear skies also had lots of light pollution . I'm off to Skye tomorrow to give the 750 it's first real outing and I can't wait.... Shame the weather forecast is so poor

View attachment 49844

An absolutely "Cracking" shot Chris.(y)

George.

This kind of impressed me - ISO3200 f6.3 1/8 sec Hand-held 16-35mm Nikkor VR

B50_0417 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

That's nice Barry @chuckles , good composition, great reflections & good colour.(y)

George.

That's nice Barry @chuckles , good composition, great reflections & good colour.(y)

George.

Cheers George. I took the D800 out on an outing and put it on the tripod. But I wanted to see what the D750 could do hand-held. I was amazed at the dynamic range that was retained too.

I'm not a fan of selfies at all, but given how hard it is to find anyone to take a picture of me I had to resort to one - just a snap, but given how rude I was to minnnt about his self portrait it seems only fair to open myself up to some sort of insults and ridicule...

SteveWestern
by stevewestern on Talk Photography

I'm not a fan of selfies at all, but given how hard it is to find anyone to take a picture of me I had to resort to one - just a snap, but given how rude I was to minnnt about his self portrait it seems only fair to open myself up to some sort of insults and ridicule...

SteveWestern
Christs sake Steve, Halloween was last week. :LOL:

SteveWestern

You look like that cricketer- Phil Tufnell I think his name is ( I'll disappear now )

That's nice @anibap , lovely well controlled lighting and nicely composed.(y)

George.

That's nice @anibap , lovely well controlled lighting and nicely composed.(y)

George.
Thanks George. It was tough taking a shot from the Belfry with limited space to move, but we were lucky to have such a lovely sky and the right time. We went up as the last set of people before they close.

Hey guys, just got a D750. The raw files aren't recognised in Lightroom (currently on Lightroom 4) do I need to upgrade my Lightroom or do I need to convert the file with Nikon software first?

Hey guys, just got a D750. The raw files aren't recognised in Lightroom (currently on Lightroom 4) do I need to upgrade my Lightroom or do I need to convert the file with Nikon software first?

You could do either Lightroom 4 is too old to recognise D750 files

You can use DNG converter. Then open the DNG in LR4.

I'm not sure which comment is the most or least offensive...
..and I spent hours on trying to make me look better than the reality.....
No way is the unedited version going to be posted !

Nice skin smoothing youve applied in lightroom. JK :D

You look like that cricketer- Phil Tufnell I think his name is ( I'll disappear now )
More like the love child of Phil Tufnell and Paul Hogan :exit:
;)

Hi all, going to pull the trigger this weekend, which combo though? I'm thinking the 28-300 as that would tick my holidays and local park wildlife etc although not the best lens I hear. My only other need is a wide angle for landscapes and urban which will have to follow. I know the 24-70 is going to be the best lens but it's not a range I use a whole deal. Any thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1446841546.552072.jpg

Hi all, going to pull the trigger this weekend, which combo though? I'm thinking the 28-300 as that would tick my holidays and local park wildlife etc although not the best lens I hear. My only other need is a wide angle for landscapes and urban which will have to follow. I know the 24-70 is going to be the best lens but it's not a range I use a whole deal. Any thoughts?

View attachment 49902

I've read the 28-300 is actually pretty good. Could always go for a 24-120 and a used 70-300 vr for the same poundage?

View attachment 49902
I personally think it's a bit of a waste putting such a lens on a high end body, but each to their own. I'd personally go for the 24-70 which can then also be used as a landscape lens, then get a decent telephoto at a later date. The 24-120mm f4 would be my next choice. I take a 24-80eq on holiday and never found I needed something else. Something like the Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm would be much better at a wildlife park, 300mm isn't that much on FF.

Unless you need fast apertures and/or you are a pixel peeper I would recommend the 28-300 and 18-35 as a versatile twosome for a D750 if you don't want to be swapping lenses all the time. The 28-300 isn't all that light weight and vignettes quite a bit (easily corrected in post or if you shoot jpegs) - but it is pretty good for close ups.

The 24-70 does top it for ultimate picture quality, but not by as much as some people would like to believe. (I use both. ;))

All IMO and with the caveat that I'm not obsessed with looking at photos at 100%! If you want to travel light and not f*** about swapping lenses all the time then the 28-300 is well worth considering.

Thanks guys, two very good opinions coming through from 4 people..... I'll be shooting raw and PP'ing so can easily get over lens corrections. I'm not a pixel peeper but I do like pin sharpness, which from reading I can get from the 300 at smaller aperture.

Still don't know [emoji37]

Body only and a 50mm 1.8g until I can decide?

Edit: scrap that, it's £179, thought it was £100

Last edited:
Body only and a 50mm 1.8g until I can decide?
Or get the 24-120mm kit as £362 for this lens is quite a bargain and you wouldn't lose anything if you didn't like it and sold it on. TBH £880 for the 24-70 isn't bad either.

Thanks, thought they were cheaper [emoji106]

Panamoz is £179?

Unless you need fast apertures and/or you are a pixel peeper I would recommend the 28-300 and 18-35 as a versatile twosome for a D750 if you don't want to be swapping lenses all the time. The 28-300 isn't all that light weight and vignettes quite a bit (easily corrected in post or if you shoot jpegs) - but it is pretty good for close ups.

The 24-70 does top it for ultimate picture quality, but not by as much as some people would like to believe. (I use both. ;))

All IMO and with the caveat that I'm not obsessed with looking at photos at 100%! If you want to travel light and not f*** about swapping lenses all the time then the 28-300 is well worth considering.
This is where it comes down to personal perception tbh. Some will see a big difference between the 24-70 and 28-300, some not so much. Those that can't see much difference think that those that can are kidding themselves, those that can see the difference often find it so obvious they can't believe everyone can't see it ;)

I tend to be one of those that notice flaws, and without pixel peeping. It's both a blessing and a curse ;)

Back