Nikon D750 & D780

After reading and seeing some real film pics, decided to get myself a film camera. Quick question, is it only the D lenses that work with the film cameras?

Love him or loathe him, Ken Rockwell has useful info on Nikon lenses - http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Anyone had any experience with the 35mm F2? Seems a cheaper alternative to the f1.8g - well nearly half the price actually!

I have one and love it to bits. Nice and compact lens. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikon-d750.557831/page-321#post-7312674 :D

Anyone had any experience with the 35mm F2? Seems a cheaper alternative to the f1.8g - well nearly half the price actually!

Also - the 85mm f1.8D?

I had one (35mm) and found it to be an excellent performer on the D750, I regretted selling it to fund a zoom lens.

Last edited:
How will a D810 get you out the house more?? :LOL:

GAS justification... :D

Just called Lehmanns for an update, £125... Next time I'll just leave the camera all s***ted up. :D

My plan and justification to Clare was; "See darling, I know you want me to get out more and I think a D810 will be better for the scapes than the D750, which I would like to try. It's a change from the birdies in the garden and will get me out more.. I cant take scapes out the back garden can I. For wildlife the 300mm F4 is too heavy for me to carry, so I could look to buy a 20mm f1.8G when you have your bonus"

It went something like that and I'm sticking to my justifications, in-case she catches me out:D

Last edited:

Also - the 85mm f1.8D?

I have the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART lens, I also have the Nikon 35mm f2 lens, and, it is a great lens, it's sharp enough for me, and it's not very heavy, I use it for shooting at night...

24500728493_c5338d9eec_b.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone used both the 50mm f1.4g and 50mm f1.8g. I have the 1.8g, but have the option to borrow a 1.4g if I wish for some wedding pics.

From reviews, it seems the 1.8g is actually a better lens unless f1.4 is really a requirement?

Anyone used both the 50mm f1.4g and 50mm f1.8g. I have the 1.8g, but have the option to borrow a 1.4g if I wish for some wedding pics.

From reviews, it seems the 1.8g is actually a better lens unless f1.4 is really a requirement?

Enough of this screen protector business.... see dedicated thread lol

Tried both on the D700, D610 and D800 and the 1.8G is better all round. I never missed 1.4. The Sigma 50 Art is a whole different story.

Sigma is not affordable for me! But will just stick with the 1.8g.

Don't blame you, it's a great little lens. It wasn't an accident that of all the lenses they could have picked, it was the 50/1.8G Nikon chose to do a special edition of for the Df.

Last edited:
Depends which body you get.

Picked up a F80 offf ebay for next to nothing. If it doesn't happen nice shelf ornament.:)

And a Memory stick (which used to be a Diary).... ooh, and a Glossy quarterly magazine which induces GAS! ;)

I've yet to receive anything from them!

I didn't use C-AF for the charts etc was just an observation when doing some test shots, so played about with MA to see what gave sharp shots. As I said I'd noticed that phenomena before with runners but just assumed it was the way it was with moving targets, but now starting to think there's something weird going off.

Got to say this 85mm is a bit hit and miss with AF. Noticed it with fast primes on this camera, but this is probably the worst to date.

Interesting. I was wondering whether mine is similar or whether it's unfamiliarity with a new system. I seem to be getting a lot of misses with the 85 when wide open and using corner focus points with AF-C.

Interesting. I was wondering whether mine is similar or whether it's unfamiliarity with a new system. I seem to be getting a lot of misses with the 85 when wide open and using corner focus points with AF-C.

My 85mm was pretty good, no real issues wide open IIRC.

However, I was drawn in by the 35/85 combo after reading all the forums online saying what a great combo it was. I couldnt really get on with either!

I sent my D750 and 300mm f4 lens off for part-ex yesterday. All being well, I will be the owner of a D810 next week. I'm getting a bit bored of bird photography in the garden and decided with going with the D810 it will hopefully get me out of the house more and try and capture more sea & landscapes locally to me. With the Gower on my doorstep and the Black Mountains not too far away, I don't appreciate what I have near me at times. There's many places I can drive up to and take tripod out of boot and start shooting there and then.

That's my plan anyway, plus I have some GAS. I always wanted the D810 when I moved back to Nikon from Fuji nearly two years ago, but it was out of my price range.
Love the justification for GAS, cos the D750 can't do landscapes can it :LOL: :p

How would a D810 be better than D750 for landscape. Maybe more MP for cropping apart from that what else??

How would a D810 be better than D750 for landscape. Maybe more MP for cropping apart from that what else??
Well you won't see the resolution difference unless printing huge at 300dpi and only standing a few feet away ;) You certainly won't see res difference viewing on a monitor (unless at 1:1) The D810 has 0.3 more DR at base (D750 has more from ISO 100 onwards according to DXO), which I doubt you'll see ;) plus I believe the D750 has less noise in shadow recovery (happy to be proven wrong as always ;)). Probably the biggest difference is the lack of AA filter with the D810 which makes the D810 fractionally sharper. How much difference you'll see after PP is debateable.

Last edited:
Try it on a tripod and take out user error. The one I had missed the odd shot taking a test chart with the camera on a tripod.

Question is whether I buy another (but I'd buy new this time so that I don't have concerns returning it) or put GAS to bed for a while ;)

Perhaps we should start a Nikon F80 owners thread?

Let me rtfm,so I can pretend to know what i'm talking about :LOL: . Having said that, have to order some batteries and grab some film.

just found out I'm getting a bonus in June... justification for GAS? lol

The USB is only for those of us on NPS not NPU I believe, may be wrong though. Go NPS! :p
I'm in the NPU thing - no diary or USB stick for me, though I did used to get the glossy mag (but not for a couple of years).

Repair update:

Nikon have today (24/3/2016) confirmed receipt of my D750 and have confirmed "Approximate repair completion date: 09 March 2016"

Repair update:

Nikon have today (24/3/2016) confirmed receipt of my D750 and have confirmed "Approximate repair completion date: 09 March 2016"

The ultimate in clearing backlogs! :)

Thanks to @macvisual parting with his Tokina 100mm macro lens I might have my Holy Trinity at last - 28/50/100. Only a few hours in and I already like the way the pictures it makes look.

Nothing special, but I like 'em. :D

_7501038.jpg

This one sums up Southport for me!

_7501039.jpg

I have even more pictures of abandoned balls than I do of hens...

_7521023.jpg

Well I just registered my 24-120mm f4 and I've been accepted onto the Nikon Professional User Scheme :LOL:

Not very exciting although I guess the free telephone technical advice might come in useful at some stage ;) It says that you get seminar and roadshow invites too but I bet they're all down in London :facepalm: :LOL:
Thanks for mentioning this! I've never heard of it before. Just joined, too, although I feel a bit like a fraud, being still very new and not even 1% towards being considered professional. :LOL:

Back