Nikon D750 to Fuji XT-3?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all. Managed to get a nasty injury while on my last photography trip and I think carrying my Nikon gear will be a big ask on my shoulder when I can get out again. Just wondering if anyone on here has made the switch from Nikon full frame to the Fujifilm XT3, especially for landscape photography, and if so how are you getting on? Think I'd be looking at using their XF 16-55mm and 55-200mm lenses initially.

I'd also be interested if anyone has a rough idea of how much I should be able to get for my Nikon kit, which is:

Nikon D750 - excellent condition - shutter count 30200
Nikon 16-35mm f4 - excellent condition
Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 SP Di VC USD A007N - very good condition
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII - excellent condition
Nikon AF-S TC-20E III Teleconverter - excellent condition

Cheers

Ha - sorry to hear about the injury but I'm about to go on a workshop (portraiture in Weddings) to settle the decision to switch from my two D750 to two X-T3s etc.

Which I will also be using for Landscapes, though I tend to use primes anyway so I've not even looked at the wide-angle zooms

I'd drop MPB a request for a valuation as a starting point. I may well sell everything to them for the ease & speed, whereas if you have more time you may get quite a bit more privately

Dave

I was looking at making the switch too, I did ask a load of questions around 6 months ago on the XT3 thread which may be of use.

Dave,

Can I just ask why you're not contemplating the Nikon mirrorless cameras ? single card slot or ??

Dougie.

Been a Nikon and Olympus user for quite some time, tried the Fuji system but the images weren’t for me so stuck with Nikon and Olympus. Olympus excels at being a light system whilst maintaining great IQ, and then I have FF for the times I want ultimate IQ. Recently swapped to the Z7 and paired with the 24-70mm f4 it makes a great light walkabout package.

If you’re wanting to do mainly landscape I’d personally go the Nikon Z route if you’re wanting to reduce weight. You get the top notch DR and ISO 64.

All this being said the D750 is pretty lightweight for a DSLR and I’m not sure you’d notice a huge weight saving with either system, if you want a noticeable reduction in weight then M4/3 might be a better route.

In terms of price the only one I can help with is the 70-200mm as I contemplated selling mine. You’d be looking at £900 private at a push from what I was quoted. Stores will offer you just over £800

Last edited:
Dave,

Can I just ask why you're not contemplating the Nikon mirrorless cameras ? single card slot or ??

Dougie.

Its not really any smaller or lighter than the D750, but yes, as a Wedding Pro I just can't live with the 1-card slot idea regardless of how safe a QXD is it just feels wrong and less safe

Dave

Thanks folks. Sounds positive about the XT3. I noticed Wex have an offer for the camera and 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses for £2199, but looking further into it those lenses aren't constant aperture and are the 'kit lenses'. What would be recommended as equivalent replacements for my full frame 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses? I doubt after trade in there'd be enough cash left to replace my ultra wide and TC, though might be wrong...

Thanks folks. Sounds positive about the XT3. I noticed Wex have an offer for the camera and 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses for £2199, but looking further into it those lenses aren't constant aperture and are the 'kit lenses'. What would be recommended as equivalent replacements for my full frame 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses? I doubt after trade in there'd be enough cash left to replace my ultra wide and TC, though might be wrong...

16-55 F2.8
50-140 F2.8 this lens supports the TC as well

Ultra wide zooms 10-24 F4 and 8-16 F2.8

That’s most of the zooms, but many prefer the Fiji primes which are fantastic, pick of the crop probably 16,56 and 90 (though I also rate the 23 F1.4)

Very helpful...I guess I've been spoilt with the constant aperture lenses and am unsure about switching back to variable as I like to shoot wide open at times.

Just had trade in quotes from MPB and WEX - going on those the kit lenses are all I could afford unless I sell privately. WEX are offering £2430 and MPB £2240 - I expected low offers but they're far lower than I hoped

with WEX

X-T3 £1299 less £150 cashback less £100 trade in bonus =£1050
XF16-55 £999 less £150 cashback = £899
XF55-200 £626 less £100 cashback = £526

Total £2,475 - I'm sure they will bend the trade in to meet this

The bokeh on the 55-200 isn't the smoothest, its a great lens, but for portrait work the 50-140 or the 90 might be better options

Another alternative would be to buy the 50-140 new from WEX and pick up the 16-55 secondhand, there are a few about @Cagey75 got one this way recently, should be able to get one for around £600

with WEX

X-T3 £1299 less £150 cashback less £100 trade in bonus =£1050
XF16-55 £999 less £150 cashback = £899
XF55-200 £626 less £100 cashback = £526

Total £2,475 - I'm sure they will bend the trade in to meet this

The bokeh on the 55-200 isn't the smoothest, its a great lens, but for portrait work the 50-140 or the 90 might be better options

Another alternative would be to buy the 50-140 new from WEX and pick up the 16-55 secondhand, there are a few about @Cagey75 got one this way recently, should be able to get one for around £600

Yeah I got very lucky with mine, they still go for £710 - 744 on the likes of MPB in excellent to 'like new' condition. They happened to have one with marked down a lot when I checked in, MPB slash the price of random items now and then, just gotta be there at the right time. They are trying to fob one off on there now for £504 "well used" and it has a scratch on the front element, I wouldn't touch it. watch out for them to have another random sale.

On the move itself, I don't think any switch is a bad move these days, bar what you might lose vs what you paid. Your gear is only ever worth what people are willing to pay for it. Selling them separately private should net you a fair bit more but it's a slow process these days. With so many deals about and buyers trying to get you to match prices from the Orient, it's not as easy shift good gear as it used to be.

Last edited:
Very helpful...I guess I've been spoilt with the constant aperture lenses and am unsure about switching back to variable as I like to shoot wide open at times.

Just had trade in quotes from MPB and WEX - going on those the kit lenses are all I could afford unless I sell privately. WEX are offering £2430 and MPB £2240 - I expected low offers but they're far lower than I hoped
The 18-55mm is a great lens, however it's not weather sealed, you lose a stop of light at the long end, and you'll 'gain' two stops extra DOF at the long end compared to the 24-70mm f2.8 on FF. The nearest lens you'll get is the 16-55mm f2.8 and whilst you won't lose any light, you'll still have more DOF. Obviously for landscapes this can be a plus.

The closest to a 70-200mm f2.8 is the 50-150mm f2.8 which will give you the same light (without getting into the semantics of sensor size light gathering) but will give you a stop more DOF.

Both these lenses are lighter than the FF alternatives, but still aren't 'that' light imo.

The closest to a 70-200mm f2.8 is the 50-150mm f2.8 which will give you the same light (without getting into the semantics of sensor size light gathering) but will give you a stop more DOF.

Both these lenses are lighter than the FF alternatives, but still aren't 'that' light imo.

Not a lot more, as the equivalent FL of the 16-55 is actually 24-82.5, at the long end you're getting that bit more compression

It's not a light lens the 16-55, at 655g, but it's a fair bit lighter than the Nikon 24-70 or even the third party 24-70 tamron/Sigma for FF

Not a lot more, as the equivalent FL of the 16-55 is actually 24-82.5, at the long end you're getting that bit more compression

It's not a light lens the 16-55, at 655g, but it's a fair bit lighter than the Nikon 24-70 or even the third party 24-70 tamron/Sigma for FF
Isn't that what I said? ;) The 50-150mm is circa 1kg too. Again lighter than the 70-200mm f2.8 but not exactly light.

Isn't that what I said? ;) The 50-150mm is circa 1kg too. Again lighter than the 70-200mm f2.8 but not exactly light.

I didn't mean to leave that bit in your quote tbh, just the FL bit. I just checked the actual weight, as much for myself as anything. I was B&H spec checking while posting :D

I did the same change two months ago, loving the Fuji. Don’t discount the ‘kit’ lenses, they are very very good quality, and also have good reviews, I did miss my Nikon 105mm f2.8 macro, and Fuji don’t do a cheapest macro lens, so bought the samyang 100 mm f2.8 manual lens, for my Fuji, and I am impressed.
I do miss the simpler Nikon menu system, but then I have had 4 Nikon dslr s in a row, and as time progresses I am getting into the Fuji menu system, which isn’t actually complicated. I now carry all my kit in a Hadley pro bag, instead of. Lowepro 450AW, so certainly dont miss the weight I was carrying.
It’s also took me a while to get into Capture One Pro- Fuji edition, but then I am not exactly a computer whizz kid.
Am I glad I made the change? Yes definitely. Love the comparative light weight, and also the low light, high ISO, performance, which I was concerned about, until I tried it,

@Scirocco_09

Where about you based ? Maybe one of us Fuji fans could meet you and let you take some shots with Fuji kit.

I have an XT-2 and 18-55 that travels with me most of the time. I went from Canon 5d2 and all L glass a few years ago. The 18-55 kit lens is not like most kit lenses it actually a superb well made lens.

@Scirocco_09

Where about you based ? Maybe one of us Fuji fans could meet you and let you take some shots with Fuji kit.

I have an XT-2 and 18-55 that travels with me most of the time. I went from Canon 5d2 and all L glass a few years ago. The 18-55 kit lens is not like most kit lenses it actually a superb well made lens.

I’m in Lincolnshire Chris. I think for now I’m just going to have to see how the recovery goes, it’s getting better every day and is finally accepting weight on it...If in a few weeks I’m still having problems I’ll have another look, just been disappointed with trade in values. Thanks for your kind offer and might still take you or someone else up on it if I need to!

Back