Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I think that extra 10-20% will be very significant if the current ISO expectations are realised in practice, however whether that 10-20% is worth the extra to change is debatable ... personally I find that the D7200 files can clean up very well if you want them to :)
I honestly can't see there being much ISO improvement, it's a dx sensor so is it really going to out perform a d610, d750 or d810 as that would kill off one of the big reasons to full frame.

What memory cards do you all recommend for the 7200? Theres a insane amount of them online and would prefer some first hand guidance
I've got two of the 64gb 95mb/s Sandisk ExtremePro cards. Work well, although I've got nothing to compare them with. They drop below £30 every now and then on Amazon.

Last edited:
I honestly can't see there being much ISO improvement, it's a dx sensor so is it really going to out perform a d610, d750 or d810 as that would kill off one of the big reasons to full frame.

• D7200 — The DX crop sensor has its pluses and minuses. For most of you, the minus is that it’s about a stop removed from the D750 sensor, all else equal, though you can get that back with some clever lens choice (e.g. the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8). The bits of banding deep in the shadows of the D7100 are gone, and the sensor is very well behaved. Plus that pixel density is perfect for the wildlife shooter. Fortunately, the constrained buffer of the D7100 is also gone, plus we now have a 1.3x crop option. Unfortunately, the frame rate and build quality isn’t at the D300s level. That said, the D7200 is the best consumer DSLR Nikon has made, hands down. Thom’s Review of the D7200

If there isn't a vast improvement then there will be a backlash against the hype!

What memory cards do you all recommend for the 7200? Theres a insane amount of them online and would prefer some first hand guidance
I use these Kingston cards. Quite a few of the fast cards I found only quote fast read speeds but quite slow write speeds. These are 90mb/s read and also 80mb/s write so nice and fast to write to the card

If there isn't a vast improvement then there will be a backlash against the hype!
It depends what you a call vast improvement, I think a few are going to be disappointed if they want a full stop improvement in ISO over the D7200. As the D500 is a D300 replacement so D300 users may get a full stop of ISO improvement. There is only about a stop between the D7200 and D750/D810 and they are similar aged technology. IIRC there was about 1/3 stop increase from D7000 to D7200 so I'm expecting around the same improvement in the D500. Nikon keeping upping the maximum ISO available but it's not exactly what you would call useable. If you look on DXO the canon 7D2 has a lower ISO rating than the D7200.

Last edited:
L'Armor - funnily enough the same as the one recommended in the D750 thread :)

We can't let them have the monopoly on screen protector discussions!

Last edited:
I'm considering stepping down from FX and back to DX and the D7200 seems the logical choice.

Most of my shooting is outdoors in good light and I miss the range of the DX lenses, and the cost. I'm just not utilsing the power of the D750 and could really do with freeing up a couple of hundred quid too.

Used to have a D7000 and was great, so can only see the D7200 as an improvement.

Anyone else jumped backwards from FX to DX?

Not entirely, I had a D4 and D4S but invariably missed the pixels of my old D800 for cropping with detail (small birds, general wildlife) so sold them both and went D810 & D7200.
I have been very happy with the D7200 as it gives me extra reach and with 24mp is better for cropping than either the D4 or D4S (16mp and in DX crop mode they were fairly pants!).
The only downside to the D7200 is that at higher ISO it can be noticeably nosier and needs more careful noise reduction in processing but it can be done ... below is one with the D7200 + the new 300 f4 PF VR at ISO 6400 and I don't think it's too bad after processing.

If I went on a special workshop or something I would chose the D810 over the D7200 unless reach was 'vital', otherwise I don't hesitate to use the D7200.

Now that doesn't mean that I won't get a D500 if it lives up to all of the hype. :)

Blue Tit
by Roger, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm considering stepping down from FX and back to DX and the D7200 seems the logical choice.

Most of my shooting is outdoors in good light and I miss the range of the DX lenses, and the cost. I'm just not utilsing the power of the D750 and could really do with freeing up a couple of hundred quid too.

Used to have a D7000 and was great, so can only see the D7200 as an improvement.

I'm looking to go the other way... Nudge Nudge wink wink ;)

Let me know if you'd be interested in a potential swap, and we can take it to the classifieds...

Last edited:

Let me know if you'd be interested in a potential swap, and we can take it to the classifieds...

Will let you know! condition/age of D7200?

Thought had crossed my mind too but I'm not in the market just yet:(

Not entirely, I had a D4 and D4S but invariably missed the pixels of my old D800 for cropping with detail (small birds, general wildlife) so sold them both and went D810 & D7200.
I have been very happy with the D7200 as it gives me extra reach and with 24mp is better for cropping than either the D4 or D4S (16mp and in DX crop mode they were fairly pants!).
The only downside to the D7200 is that at higher ISO it can be noticeably nosier and needs more careful noise reduction in processing but it can be done ... below is one with the D7200 + the new 300 f4 PF VR at ISO 6400 and I don't think it's too bad after processing.

If I went on a special workshop or something I would chose the D810 over the D7200 unless reach was 'vital', otherwise I don't hesitate to use the D7200.

Now that doesn't mean that I won't get a D500 if it lives up to all of the hype. :)

Blue Tit
by Roger, on Flickr

Love this.

Blue Tit
by Roger, on Flickr
At wat ISO does it start to get noisy?
Thanks

At wat ISO does it start to get noisy?
Thanks

Good question, I'm generally on Auto-ISO with it set to max ISO 1600, but will use up to ISO 6400 as above ... I would say over ISO 800 is more likely to need some NR but depends on circumstances.

Thankyou, i always try and keep to 100 iso whenever possible so 800 would be fine for me, getting tempted more and more though not sure image quality wise how much better over my D 3300, obviously better specked user wise etc
Hmm

Body arrived, Paul?

Have you decided which lens you'll get yet?
Hmm, seems like notifications is not working :( was wondering why there were no more posts in this thread, but I now know there are.

I decided to stick with Nikon rather than the Siggy, and got a Nikon 16-85mm f3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX, it will give me a nice range with the Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED.

Next will be the Nikon 50mm f1.8 G AF-S which should just about see me OK as regards lenses.

Only thing I can think of that is more important than the 50mm is a half decent tripod for landscapes, something not too heavy so I'm not knackered lumbering it around..... thoughts ????

Blue Tit
by Roger, on Flickr

Roger, thats an amazing shot @ 6400, your PP skills are way, way better than mine.

FWIW I have set up a little feeding station at the bottom of the patio, nothing too fancy, just a fatball feeder and a seed feeder so hoping some of our feathered friends call in to see me.

Don't think I will get any shots like the above though :(

Hmm, seems like notifications is not working :( was wondering why there were no more posts in this thread, but I now know there are.

I decided to stick with Nikon rather than the Siggy, and got a Nikon 16-85mm f3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX, it will give me a nice range with the Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED.

Next will be the Nikon 50mm f1.8 G AF-S which should just about see me OK as regards lenses.

Only thing I can think of that is more important than the 50mm is a half decent tripod for landscapes, something not too heavy so I'm not knackered lumbering it around..... thoughts ????
The 16-85mm is meant to be a great walkabout lens - look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour! :) The 50mm is very good too, I've got the old D version, which is good but the G is meant to be great - especially for the price.

With regards to the tripod, I can't really comment I'm afraid - I've got a Manfrotto tripod which is fairly 'sturdy' - they do do lightweight tripods, there was a thread on the travel ones vs normal in the equipment forum so might be worth a look. There's so many to choose from, which can make picking one difficult!

Enjoy your new camera! :)

Roger, thats an amazing shot @ 6400, your PP skills are way, way better than mine.

FWIW I have set up a little feeding station at the bottom of the patio, nothing too fancy, just a fatball feeder and a seed feeder so hoping some of our feathered friends call in to see me.

Don't think I will get any shots like the above though :(

Thanks Paul, I'm sure you can do well, it's just a matter of persevering to get something worthwhile ... all the best with the bird visits :)

Yep the 16-85 is a good lens - performs well on the D7200 and a very useful focal range. My lightweight walkabout lens of choice. My lad wants it for his collection but that's not gonna happen:)

Thankyou, i always try and keep to 100 iso whenever possible so 800 would be fine for me, getting tempted more and more though not sure image quality wise how much better over my D 3300, obviously better specked user wise etc
Hmm

A couple of shoots with my D3300 which I bought to use as a lightweight option over my D750. 1st iso 1400 and second iso 720. Also using the Nikon 1.4TC so giving f5.6 on my 300mm f4 lens.

The D3300 and D7200 probably share the same sensor, it's the external controls, FPS, buffer and better AF you will gain with the D7200. If I'm being honest I bought the D3300 on price point as I was looking for a good compact like the X30 or Sony RX etc...... but after trying it I think I will sell and get a X30 for the pocket-ability. It's a good little camera, so I would certainly try a D7200 before parting with your cash.

Trying Nikon D3300 & 300mm f4 lens with 1.4TC by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
A couple of shoots with my D3300 which I bought to use as a lightweight option over my D750. 1st iso 1400 and second iso 720. Also using the Nikon 1.4TC so giving f5.6 on my 300mm f4 lens.

The D3300 and D7200 probably share the same sensor, it's the external controls, FPS, buffer and better AF you will gain with the D7200. If I'm being honest I bought the D3300 on price point as I was looking for a good compact like the X30 or Sony RX etc...... but after trying it I think I will sell and get a X30 for the pocket-ability. It's a good little camera, so I would certainly try a D7200 before parting with your cash.

Lovely shots mate, might hust keep my 3300 and get a nice wideangle either sigma 10-20 or tokina 11-16
Cheers

Love this pic.... just feel its a bit underexposed.... probably matches your conditions though.

View attachment 56615

Thanks Twist .

I try to keep the bird as close to as the camera see's it, it looks better with a little boost which you have done, but when I tried (have gone back into LR) the whites are starting to blow when altering on my monitor. My PP skills are limited. What did you alter, just the EC?

Thanks Twist .

I try to keep the bird as close to as the camera see's it, it looks better with a little boost which you have done, but when I tried (have gone back into LR) the whites are starting to blow when altering on my monitor. My PP skills are limited. What did you alter, just the EC?

Few things, sharpness on subject, contrast, boosted the mids, dropped the high's to counteract, then I burn and dodge certain areas, bit of saturation and a little selective colour tweak. Sounds a lot but not really.

Back