Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Few things, sharpness on subject, contrast, boosted the mids, dropped the high's to counteract, then I burn and dodge certain areas, bit of saturation and a little selective colour tweak. Sounds a lot but not really.

I got an headache just reading that;).

I need to use and learn more with the CC package I have as it's costing me £8.47 pm. Perhaps I will spend some time on it when I'm recovering from my shoulder and elbow op's as I will be bored to tears.

I got an headache just reading that;).

I need to use and learn more with the CC package I have as it's costing me £8.47 pm. Perhaps I will spend some time on it when I'm recovering from my shoulder and elbow op's as I will be bored to tears.

Sounds a good way to spend time when you get bored, they're coming up pretty soon aren't they?

Sounds a good way to spend time when you get bored, they're coming up pretty soon aren't they?

They cancelled the last one, I'm planned to go in on the 23rd Feb, a week Tuesday. Hope they don't cancel again as it's a bit of a pain for Clare chopping and changing her holidays.

Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

Haven't been out with the camera for a while, in fact apart for work, it feels like I haven't left the house, so here's a shot of Gloucester Cathedral I took last month. En homage to Kodiak, I gave 'Keystoning' a go for the first time...

Gloucester Cathedral by Chuckoir, on Flickr

Trying to squeeze this in to one frame makes my GAS for a UWA flare up. :eek:

It's a toss up between the Tokina 11-16 or 11-20. I can't tell them apart reading the reviews, which doesn't make my choice any easier.

Any fellow DX shooters have any experience with both?

I've got the 11-16 and have also had the Sigma 10-20. I've not had many chances to try the 11-16 just yet but when I used the Sigma, it was at the wide end about 95% of the time.
Initial tests with the 11-16 and its a stunning lens compared to the Sigma at least. Cant say for the 11-20 though.

I have the tokina 11-16 and my bf has the 10-20. I prefer the tokina, I find it sharper. I'm glad I have the tokina over the 10-20. But really I don't think it overly matters which you get as the difference isn't huge.

I'd say the tokina is the best lens I've purchased for under £500.

I'd see if you can try both out at a camera shop to decide which you prefer.

Jury is still out for me on the D7200 paired with the Nikon 16-85 VR. I picked up a mint second hand version of the lens recently to pair with the D7200 for a general walk about solution when I don't want to take the FF bodies with their F2.8 lenses. I dunno, maybe it's me, but I'm just not thrilled with what I'm seeing on my monitor with the 16-85. On my older D200 and D300s, my earlier copy was brilliant, but I'm just wondering if 24mp is a step too far for this lens ?

Images just don't seem that tack sharp as I'm used to (and as I used to have with my D7100 and 17-55 F2.8 - god I miss that lens - what did I ever sell it), but maybe I'm expecting too much from a consumer lens, albeit upper end consumer ?

Thanks for the lens feedback, folks, all helps!

It's the Taking 11-20 I'm looking at rather than the Sigma. Anyone had experience with that lens? :)

What walk about prime would people recommend. I had the 50mm on FX so looking for 30-35mm.

Cheapest choice is the 35mm f1.8g but the Sigma 30mm f1.4 art looks a bit tasty.

Anything else?

What walk about prime would people recommend. I had the 50mm on FX so looking for 30-35mm.

Cheapest choice is the 35mm f1.8g but the Sigma 30mm f1.4 art looks a bit tasty.

Anything else?

I mentioned that I was going to get a 50mm 1.8 over on Nikonians when I first got my 7200 and the general census of opinion was to go for the 35mm 1.8. TBH I haven't bought one yet but I'm still unsure as to whether to get the 50mm as I think it will make an excellent portrait lens on the 7200. I don't think I would get much use out of the 35mm at 1.8 for general street photography and I have that length covered with my zoom anyway. Whereas with the 50mm as a portrait / general low light lens it would definitely get used.

I've got the 50 1.8d, really nice lens for not much money and as you say, lovely portrait lens. @Chuckoir the Tokina 11-20 is still quite new so we need you to buy one and test it for us :).
For a walkabout prime I'd like a Sigma 24mm Art but it's a bit beyond my budget at the moment!

I've got the 50 1.8d, really nice lens for not much money and as you say, lovely portrait lens. @Chuckoir the Tokina 11-20 is still quite new so we need you to buy one and test it for us :).
For a walkabout prime I'd like a Sigma 24mm Art but it's a bit beyond my budget at the moment!
@Chuckoir has gone rogue - left the D7200 clan and gone FX with a D750.
There's just no commitment these days!

Sorry guys, turns out what I thought was a little bit of GAS for a UWA... was more serious than I thought :(

...if anyone is after a Sigma 18-35m f/1.8, there's one for sale in the classifieds... no good for birds though, unless you get reeeeaaaaallly close, or they're REEAAAAALLLLLY big! o_O

Last edited:
Hi all

I asked about the Tamron 70-300mm recently and have still been debating it with myself and then I came across the 16-300 Tamron. Although there are some compromises with a lens of such a wide range it seems like a great walk round lens and still gives some great results.

What I don't seem to be able to find is a comparison of the two lenses. Any thoughts?

On another note I've had my d7000 for a few years now, but I am coming round to thinking it perhaps is not as sharp as it ought to be. As its well out of any warranties any recommendations of where I might get it serviced?

Anyone fancy a trading/swapping their mint/boxed D7200 body against a virtually new/mint/boxed Nikkor 20mm f1.8G lens by chance ? Cash adjustment if required.

Regards;
Peter

No sorry - but just out of interest, why do you want to get rid of that lens?

A mate of mind is after one

Dave

No sorry - but just out of interest, why do you want to get rid of that lens?

A mate of mind is after one

Dave
Only selling my Nikkor 20mm f1.8G to help fund the purchase of a long lens and teleconverter for sports + birding photography.

just bought my 7200 from Jessops.as there was only 110 quid diference i bought uk spec.i`ve used panamoz and hdew and would recommend them but as i said the price was too close.first immpressions is i`m impressed with the iso handling.still got my D810 which i`ll keep for now.

Hey is anybody here in London and happy to meet me to try my lens on your d7200? I'm having an issue with an second hand lens and TC combo I've recently bought. I want to test another d7200 to see whether I get the same problem indicating a lens/TC problem, or if it works fine indicating a body problem.

Cheers.

Hey is anybody here in London and happy to meet me to try my lens on your d7200? I'm having an issue with an second hand lens and TC combo I've recently bought. I want to test another d7200 to see whether I get the same problem indicating a lens/TC problem, or if it works fine indicating a body problem.

Cheers.
I'm not in London at all but what lens and TC is it?
I've had issues with Sigma on my D7200

I'm not in London at all but what lens and TC is it?
I've had issues with Sigma on my D7200

It's the Nikon 1.4tc II and the Nikon 500mm f4 ED II. If you see my other thread you'll see the trouble I've had. Lens and body work fine, throw the TC in and it doesn't work properly which would indicate TC. But I tried another TC and got same problem. Try another body with the TC and lens and can't get the problem suggesting it's the body. But then I know a d7200 works with a 1.4tc II because I was using that combo for a while before my stuff was nicked! It's all very strange.

It's the Nikon 1.4tc II and the Nikon 500mm f4 ED II. If you see my other thread you'll see the trouble I've had. Lens and body work fine, throw the TC in and it doesn't work properly which would indicate TC. But I tried another TC and got same problem. Try another body with the TC and lens and can't get the problem suggesting it's the body. But then I know a d7200 works with a 1.4tc II because I was using that combo for a while before my stuff was nicked! It's all very strange.

Same issue with my old D810 and 400 f2.8 AF-S, it wouldn't work with any TC ... however worked it fine on its own and the D810 worked fine with a 70-200 f2.8 VRll and TC :thinking:

Same issue with my old D810 and 400 f2.8 AF-S, it wouldn't work with any TC ... however worked it fine on its own and the D810 worked fine with a 70-200 f2.8 VRll and TC :thinking:

It's strange that both yours and Dragonfly's in my other threads issues were never solved! Surely Nikon can't just think "oh well doesn't work. Too bad for those people".

I can see that you are getting frustrated Chris - and you have said that sometimes it is OK and sometimes not - how often, (in percentage terms), do you have problems

In my case the D810 was returned and my new one works fine with the 500 f4 VR ... is it a problem with new bodies and older lenses/TC's?
Does anyone have your combination working ... worth an enquiry thread?

I can see that you are getting frustrated Chris - and you have said that sometimes it is OK and sometimes not - how often, (in percentage terms), do you have problems

Yes very frustrating, Bill. I know that in camera terms, £2200 isn't THAT much compared to some lenses, but for most people it's a large amount of money to spend for something only for it not to work as you thought it would. It's hard to say how often it happens. I've only experienced in during the 6 hours at the reserve on Saturday when I first noticed it and this evening doing some quick testing. It happens every time the camera is on, that's for sure. But sometimes it can be easily fixed by just shifting the weight distribution, sometimes nothing will work, even taking all 3 pieces apart and re-attaching them.

In my case the D810 was returned and my new one works fine with the 500 f4 VR ... is it a problem with new bodies and older lenses/TC's?
Does anyone have your combination working ... worth an enquiry thread?

I'd be inclined to agree about a problem with older lenses/TCs except for a few things. Firstly the body clearly works with the lens as during the whole 6 hours at the reserve it didn't fail once without TC. So obviously the body can communicate with the lens. The other thing is that it does work, just not all the time. I imagine if there was a compatibility issue, it would be either working 100% of the time or 0% of the time, not on and off. I'm not basing that on anything technical, merely my logical thoughts.

Since the lens is quite old now, I'm not sure if anybody else will be using this combo, but you're right, it can't hurt to make a thread on a few sites to see what I can find. Thanks for all your help so far!

Yes very frustrating, Bill. I know that in camera terms, £2200 isn't THAT much compared to some lenses, but for most people it's a large amount of money to spend for something only for it not to work as you thought it would. It's hard to say how often it happens. I've only experienced in during the 6 hours at the reserve on Saturday when I first noticed it and this evening doing some quick testing. It happens every time the camera is on, that's for sure. But sometimes it can be easily fixed by just shifting the weight distribution, sometimes nothing will work, even taking all 3 pieces apart and re-attaching them.

£2,200 is a lot of money Chris, and I'm not belittling that - all I am saying is that at the end of the day, from what you have said, you may be stuck with the problem, and if it only happens now and again and there is a "work around" maybe that's what you will have to put up with

£2,200 is a lot of money Chris, and I'm not belittling that - all I am saying is that at the end of the day, from what you have said, you may be stuck with the problem, and if it only happens now and again and there is a "work around" maybe that's what you will have to put up with

Yeah well next steps are to try a different TC that someone on here has kindly posted me to try. Then to try and find somebody else with a d7200 which I can test and finally see if Greys of Westminster will allow me to go in and test my body/tc on the same lens they have in stock. After that, I'll have to decide what to do.

Yeah well next steps are to try a different TC that someone on here has kindly posted me to try. Then to try and find somebody else with a d7200 which I can test and finally see if Greys of Westminster will allow me to go in and test my body/tc on the same lens they have in stock. After that, I'll have to decide what to do.

It is a pity that I have sold my D7200, because I will probably be in SW London, (Wandsworth) sometime next week

It is a pity that I have sold my D7200, because I will probably be in SW London, (Wandsworth) sometime next week

Damn that really is a shame because I work literally 5 mins away in Wimbledon Park area!

*edit* what bodies do you have that you'd have with you?

Back