Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Damn that really is a shame because I work literally 5 mins away in Wimbledon Park area!

*edit* what bodies do you have that you'd have with you?

I will have a D750, D810 and D700 - all FX bodies

I will have a D750, D810 and D700 - all FX bodies

Well if I haven't had a fix by then, if you're willing, maybe I can bring my lens to try on them and see if it's body dependant. I may consider getting a d810 if it works without issue (though I'd have to wait until the d500 comes out to see if that works).

Well if I haven't had a fix by then, if you're willing, maybe I can bring my lens to try on them and see if it's body dependant. I may consider getting a d810 if it works without issue (though I'd have to wait until the d500 comes out to see if that works).

I have PMed you Chris

Chris, Dunno when your in Cornwall again, you can always try the lens an converter on my D7100, think you
already know what area I live in.

Chris, Dunno when your in Cornwall again, you can always try the lens an converter on my D7100, think you
already know what area I live in.

Hi Mike, thanks for your offer but unfortunately my girlfriend is back in London now so I won't be back down for a good while. I appreciate the offer though :)

Hi Mike, thanks for your offer but unfortunately my girlfriend is back in London now so I won't be back down for a good while. I appreciate the offer though :)

That is a pity as your missing out on all the action down here the last few days. Gyr Falcon turned up about three/four days ago, Snowy Owl yesterday,
just got home from trying to find it today without success, but some great pics of the Snowy on those bird reporting sites I gave you the other day.

The offer still stands Chris if you are not sorted by the time your next down.

Last edited:
That is a pity as your missing out on all the action down here the last few days. Gyr Falcon turned up about three/four days ago, Snowy Owl yesterday,
just got home from trying to find it today without success, but some great pics of the Snowy on those bird reporting sites I gave you the other day.

The offer still stands Chris if you are not sorted by the time your next down.

I saw that there was a snowy owl the other day but didn't know about the gyrfalcoln...typical eh! :

Picking up a D7100 body within next day or two, the D7200 is outta my reach at the minute money wise.

here is a D7200 for £545, don't know what you will pay for the 7100 though.
LINKY

Picking up a D7100 body within next day or two, the D7200 is outta my reach at the minute money wise.

What do you hav currently? From what I've seen, the 7100 doesn't look great given the 7200 is only slightly more money.

D810.

A minty D7100 was roughly £230 cheaper than a D7200. I even considered a D300 for birding/sports/wildlife.

But wouldnt the AF of the D7200 be worth the extra cost, after all, youre spending a small fortune on high end gear only to be possibly let down by the AF and looking at what youve spent £230 is nothing for that gain.

A D7100 is what approx 400 used? the HDEW D7200 camera is £150 more.

Last edited:
Private sales on D7100 bodies sell roughly for around £340/£350.......if you search wide enough.

Still, dont you think even at that difference in comparison to what youve spent/spending that the little extra is worth it for your requirements?

Im sure you could also find a D7200 for less than £500 if you widened your search so the £150ish difference remains.

Where does one stop searching for what they want.....! It's bang for your buck surely (?)

Its also about being sensible imo, like I said, if you think you dont need the AF of the D7200 then save the £150, after Id spent all that money Id hate to find out for £150 I couldve had much better performance and gotten the most out of the lenses etc.

Youve probably lost more than that on your recent sales to get to where you are now. Not criticising because I like to switch gear to.

Last edited:
Still, dont you think even at that difference in comparison to what youve spent/spending that the little extra is worth it for your requirements?

Im sure you could also find a D7200 for less than £500 if you widened your search so the £150ish difference remains.
£150 is a lot of money, if you don't have £150

£150 is a lot of money, if you don't have £150

Have you seen his budget and setup? Looks pretty good to me. That £150 could improve his chances of achieving the shots he wants after already spending thousands. It was just a thought anyway.

Last edited:
A d7200 recently went for £480 on here which isn't much more. Ok as you say where do you stop searching, but if you can save the extra and get d7200 you'll have the best Nikon crop sensor apart from the soon to come d500. The gain in buffer on the d7200 is reason enough in itself IMO...you're planning on getting a 500mm and I'm sure you'll want to do BIF shots. The d7100 will most likely let you down and the d7200 won't. Up to you but since the d500 is out very soon i m betting lots of d7200s will be flooding onto the market soon bringing price down, so if you can wait...

A d7200 recently went for £480 on here which isn't much more. Ok as you say where do you stop searching, but if you can save the extra and get d7200 you'll have the best Nikon crop sensor apart from the soon to come d500. The gain in buffer on the d7200 is reason enough in itself IMO...you're planning on getting a 500mm and I'm sure you'll want to do BIF shots. The d7100 will most likely let you down and the d7200 won't. Up to you but since the d500 is out very soon i m betting lots of d7200s will be flooding onto the market soon bringing price down, so if you can wait...

Yeah, I forgot about the buffer to... thats a biggie.

Are there many D7100 owners out there still, or have we all migrated across to the D750 thread? :help:

I've got a 50. Thinking I should have gone for the 35mm when I bought the camera (was convinced otherwise). I used it more than the 50 on my (other) old camera. Do you have any zooms or just primes?

I've got a 50. Thinking I should have gone for the 35mm when I bought the camera (was convinced otherwise). I used it more than the 50 on my (other) old camera. Do you have any zooms or just primes?
Oh my 17mm is the wide end if a 17-50mm f2.8 Sigma!

My only prime was a 35mm f1.8g which is a fantastic lens to be honest and I've only recently sold it to fund the Sigma zoom mentioned above.

I love the sharpness of a prime, but it's hard to beat the flexibility of a zoom, particularly when out and about when changing lens' can become a bit of a chore.

True. But for what I photograph (mainly people and maybe flowers), they work for me. I was using primes on my other camera, rarely using the zooms.

True. But for what I photograph (mainly people and maybe flowers), they work for me. I was using primes on my other camera, rarely using the zooms.
Absolutely. Can always zoom with your feet! Plus primes do give a better shot, no doubt.

I'm off to Madrid for a week soon. I'm taking my D7000 plus a couple of batteries. I know these EN-EL15 batteries have a good lifespan provided you don't use live-view too much. Do you reckon I'll be okay to leave the charger behind? Even if I average 150 shots a day, surely I should be okay relying on two batteries? Any thoughts?

I can shoot about 7-800 shots on my. 5dmk3 battery so I reckon you'll be ok. How bigs the charger? Stick it in the suitcase just in case?

I think the battery is quoted at around 1k shots but I guess that depends on live view use and how much photo reviews you look at on the screen

Shot 1,000 quite a few times at running event, no reviews and it just goes on and on ....... BUT, what if you left the camera ON overnight?

Using the same principle as a rubber, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. When I travelled to Turkey and Portugal I did recharge mine. Maybe you'll be ok but the charger doesn't take up loads of space and you'll be more inconvenienced running out of power than packing it into your luggage (in my opinion of course).

Proper rant about the buffer on this camera. My D90 just keeps shooting, no noticeable buffer limitation at all and it's, what, 4 years older than my D7100? you'd have thought camera memory tech would have moved on in that time, but I can get a 6 shot "burst" (and I don't even mean at 6fps - I just mean 6 shots in reasonably quick succession whilst doing a panorama for instance) from my D7100 before I hit the limit, then it's maybe 1 shot every 5 seconds, then 15 seconds waiting for it to process the buffer. ARGH!!!!!!!! Will turn NR off, as I've been advised that would make a difference, but it's my biggest disappointment with this camera and the one that will drive me to buy something new.

Back