Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I should have added that the reason i picked that up is because my 'expensive' 2 seat roadster when new (10 years ago) needed the equiv of 'running in' ie the brakes , tyres and engine would not reach optimum performance until several hundred (if not a thousand) miles. Made me think of - does a camera need running in - ok call me daft but maybe i'm right - even if the running in is for the driver to get used to the cars performance !

I'll rest my head now

I think it is the latter part of your theory :)

Thats interesting - dya think it gets better with shutter actuations or because your technique gets better ? If the former thats VERY interesting because it does seem to come up a lot with new owners - obviously there are some with a real lasting problem but that point should be born in mind i think.

I meant later production bodies don't have the problem where earlier production bodies tended to.

That said, there is also a bit of a new owner thing, but that is mostly getting accustomed to the higher res sensor and slightly different dynamics.

And that said, I did have a 'running in' type thing happen with the D800. Out of the box, focus was a bit off, but I thought I'd give it a full day of shooting to see how it did. Identical test a day and 300 frames in, focus is dead on. I'll leave it up to the reader to decide whether it was me or the camera that needed running in!

E'up.
Just bought a new D7x after much deliberation and soul searching. Cut my teeth on a Hasselblad 120mmm medium format at work many moons ago and just looking to get back into the hobby for my own pleasure.
I have been through a range of point and shoot £200 - £500 pieces of crap in the gap years and have felt really let down when I compared the results with my old Minolta 35mm with some average 50mm glass.
So here I am with a brand spanking new d7k! :cool:
I bought a kit lens with it, an 18-105 which I really like the feel of and I bought a 35mm f1.8 which i have shot a few frames with but nothing too dramatic.
The question is, what to spend on next. I know good glass always holds its value but if i were to replace the 18-105, what would it be in DX format? I have some sports shooting to do soon at the tough mudder so I would think something fast as the light might be in short supply at this time of the year.

Looks like a great forum here and I look forward to spending most of my idle moments browsing away!

northernbiff said:
E'up.
Just bought a new D7x after much deliberation and soul searching. Cut my teeth on a Hasselblad 120mmm medium format at work many moons ago and just looking to get back into the hobby for my own pleasure.
I have been through a range of point and shoot £200 - £500 pieces of crap in the gap years and have felt really let down when I compared the results with my old Minolta 35mm with some average 50mm glass.
I bought a kit lens with it, an 18-105 which I really like the feel of and I bought a 35mm f1.8 which i have shot a few frames with but nothing too dramatic.
The question is, what to spend on next. I know good glass always holds its value but if i were to replace the 18-105, what would it be in DX format? I have some sports shooting to do soon at the tough mudder so I would think something fast as the light might be in short supply at this time of the year.

Looks like a great forum here and I look forward to spending most of my idle moments browsing away!

Good question, I'm looking for that answer too

Hows yours for focus and sharpness?
Wex is swapping mine out for a new one only problem is they cant check it for focus issues before dispatch.

E'up.

Personally, the ultimate DX zoom lens is the 17-55mm f/2.8 but you may miss the longer end of the 18-105mm. If you weren't so fussed about the wide end then the f/4 24-120mm VR might be of interest.

If i got the body only one, what 2 lens should i go for? one for a walk about kinda llens, the other for motorsport and longer distance subjects?

obviously price is a factor, otherwide id get a fast prime lens at 400/500mm! lol

sshould i get the nikon 35mm f/1.8 and something?

shiwarrior said:
If i got the body only one, what 2 lens should i go for? one for a walk about kinda llens, the other for motorsport and longer distance subjects?

obviously price is a factor, otherwide id get a fast prime lens at 400/500mm! lol

Either the 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.8 are decent fast primes as walk about lenses!
If you want a fast zoom and are price conscious a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 would serve you well.
As for a longer reach not really any idea Sorry!

*Cheap prime then 35mm f/1.8 DX
*High-end zoom then 17-55mm DX f/2.8
*Budget zoom then Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
*Versatile long lens then a used Sigma 100-300mm f/4, Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 or Nikon 75-300mm VR

I had to use -20 on all my lenses so sent it to nikon to be checked, they fixed this and cleaned everything - total cost £6, pretty good considering camera 2 years old.

Guys

I'm new to my D7000 so please excuse my ignorance, what is this -20 adjustment ????

I've been very disappointed with my D7000 & 35mm 1.8G Combo compared to my Canon 450d 35mm F2 set up.

I was hoping the move to Nikon would rock my world as all the Nikonites told me it would, but I bought the camera second hand so I'm worried it could be a problem with the camera.

Any help gratefully received

NeilMc said:
Guys

I'm new to my D7000 so please excuse my ignorance, what is this -20 adjustment ????

I've been very disappointed with my D7000 & 35mm 1.8G Combo compared to my Canon 450d 35mm F2 set up.

I was hoping the move to Nikon would rock my world as all the Nikonites told me it would, but I bought the camera second hand so I'm worried it could be a problem with the camera.

Any help gratefully received

You can fine tune the auto focus and -20 is the adjustment that has been applied to get optimum focus!
I came from a Nikon D3000 (budget DSLR) to the D7000 an initially was disappointed but stick with it,once you get used to the camera you can make it dance!

It's to solve front or back focusing if the autofocus is slightly off.

It's nothing to worry about, even if you're way out of whack you could always send them off for recalibrating at a reasonable price.

It's to solve front or back focusing if the autofocus is slightly off.

It's nothing to worry about, even if you're way out of whack you could always send them off for recalibrating at a reasonable price.

yeah just trying to get to the bottom of have I really got a technical problem with my camera / lens.... or is it just me wobblin like a jelly.

If I have got an issue then I'd like to get it sorted, if I havent then there is no point in sending the camera away.

Best way to tell if its you shaking all over the place is to do some test shots using a tripod and remote shutter. Or get out in good light and use a high shutter speed to eliminate the chance of camera shake.

You just do micro adjustments as and when you feel they're necessary. Such as when you're noticing in alot of shots the focus is slightly out - e.g. Portraiture Focused on eyes, eye is a bit soft, ears are razor sharp.

Last edited:
Steve2 said:
I have £200 worth of jessops vouchers thanks to Tesco and am torn between getting the MD11 grip which is £199 in store or doi get the 35mm 1.8 lens.
I already have the Nikon 12-24 f4 lens, Sigma 17-70 2.8 and Nikon 70-200 2.8, so which would I benefit more from?

well I popped into Jessops in Bluewater today to look at the gri on the camera and see how it feels but the price was £299.99!!,
now I'm sure it was only £199 a few weeks ago ? so now I still have £200 worth of vouchers so maybe just go for the 35mm f1.8 and some bits and pieces :(

Steve2 said:
well I popped into Jessops in Bluewater today to look at the gri on the camera and see how it feels but the price was £299.99!!,
now I'm sure it was only £199 a few weeks ago ? so now I still have £200 worth of vouchers so maybe just go for the 35mm f1.8 and some bits and pieces :(

£199 is pushing it for the grip, £299 is ridiculous. Maybe wait a bit and see what offers Xmas brings!

That's mental:bonk:

I paid £130 for mine off here and it was as new, but new were £189 about 6 months ago!:thinking:

Here is the price tracking info http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Nikon_MB-D11_Battery_Grip_pc.html

Last edited:
They also have a Hahnel HN-D7000 Grip for Nikon D7000 costing £119.99.

Cheers Alan, that is so frustrating after going in there yesterday and it was at £299 and now the very next day it is reduced :bonk:

*Cheap prime then 35mm f/1.8 DX
*High-end zoom then 17-55mm DX f/2.8
*Budget zoom then Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
*Versatile long lens then a used Sigma 100-300mm f/4, Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 or Nikon 75-300mm VR

cheap prime THEN the 35mm f/1.8 ?

not sure what u mean i thought that was a cheap prime! lol

i found 200mm wasent enough a lot of the time, so with that in mind what to go for?

im quite sure i'll get a d7000 with a 35mm f/1.8 and then a tele zoom up to or more than 300mm, what do you recomend? sigma? tamron? nikon?

thanks

shiwarrior said:
cheap prime THEN the 35mm f/1.8 ?

not sure what u mean i thought that was a cheap prime! lol

i found 200mm wasent enough a lot of the time, so with that in mind what to go for?

im quite sure i'll get a d7000 with a 35mm f/1.8 and then a tele zoom up to or more than 300mm, what do you recomend? sigma? tamron? nikon?

thanks

"Cheap prime... then the 35mm f/1.8 DX fits the bill" is what I meant but was too lazy to type. Thought it was pretty clear...

"Cheap prime... then the 35mm f/1.8 DX fits the bill" is what I meant but was too lazy to type. Thought it was pretty clear...

Thats cool

thanks for clearing that up :)

so far i shall get :

D7000 body
Nikon 35mm f1.8 lens

and i need a telephoto lens too

My D7K has gone back to nikon for adjustment as was back focusing on two lenses. I have been struggling with focus for the three months I have had it finally measured with a chart today.

Nikon UK were very helpful and offer fully paid carriage etc

Last edited:
MIKEROPHONICS said:
My D7K has gone back to nikon for adjustment as was back focusing on two lenses. I have been struggling with focus for the three months I have had it finally measured with a chart today.

How bad was the back focusing? Mine was at-20 with a 35mm 1.8. Sent it back to wex, now iam mulling over getting a different camera altogether maybe a pentax k30 or sony a57 or canon d60.

MIKEROPHONICS said:

I had mine repaired twice before getting a brand new one. Hope your problem is solved quicker!

I had mine repaired twice before getting a brand new one. Hope your problem is solved quicker!

I'm agonising over the purchase of the D7000 but reading about the "back focus" issue is putting me off. I'm looking to spend in excess of £1000 for camera and lens/s and the last thing I need is equipment that needs to be sent back for re-calibrating. What to do?

It is a great camera. Nikon have been great dealing with it. I never bothered to use the adjust feature, I just saw it was out and sent it to get fixed. It will give me a week or so to read more of the Thom Hogan manual (a weighty tome). I have my d40x as a standby which now feels.very small and simple.

Don't be put off buying one

Remember that people always report things that are wrong on forums etc. If it aint broke why say so.

Mine is fine, and hasn't required any fixing at all (y)

If you are unlucky enough to have one with a focus issue Nikon will fix it.

Don't be put off, there are instances when I use mine over my D3 ;)

metroman said:
I'm agonising over the purchase of the D7000 but reading about the "back focus" issue is putting me off. I'm looking to spend in excess of £1000 for camera and lens/s and the last thing I need is equipment that needs to be sent back for re-calibrating. What to do?

Every camera will have it's faults. Most examples will be fine but unlucky ones will be heard about... I don't hear that many d7k owners moaning about focus issues though...

I must admit, that despite my misgivings about the d7000, I will still make the purchase. This is based on the Nikon return system being very good.

I've done a bit of playing around with AF adjustment, but nothing major and to be truthful, if the feature wasn't present in the camera, I wouldn't be asking for it. I genuinely believe that if people weren't doing as much pixel peeping then focus issues wouldn't be as widely discussed...

I've done a bit of playing around with AF adjustment, but nothing major and to be truthful, if the feature wasn't present in the camera, I wouldn't be asking for it. I genuinely believe that if people weren't doing as much pixel peeping then focus issues wouldn't be as widely discussed...

Of course. If you're only printing/displaying small images you can get away with some pretty horrible focus errors. But a fair few people (you included ;) ) print a fair bit bigger than 8x10, and so these things do become noticeable.

Of course. If you're only printing/displaying small images you can get away with some pretty horrible focus errors. But a fair few people (you included ;) ) print a fair bit bigger than 8x10, and so these things do become noticeable.

Of course, especially at low f-numbers where DoF is paper thin. That's always going to test both the capabilities of the equipment and the user's technique. I just turn a blind eye to it and anyway, our crappy print quality and poor paper stock will put paid to most shots looking good :LOL:

Back