Nikon D7xxx owners thread

My focusing seems ok on mine brought second hand so no warranty should I face any problems but not found any yet. Not really a pixel peeper so doubt I will notice.

danolive1 said:
How bad was the back focusing? Mine was at-20 with a 35mm 1.8. Sent it back to wex, now iam mulling over getting a different camera altogether maybe a pentax k30 or sony a57 or canon d60.

You do realise that this can happen with any camera ;) that is why they need a service, service departments exists etc. moving to a whole different system seems radical but perhaps not a bad idea as when they don't have the AF tune facility you might not start looking for it.

I agree if you couldn't adjust it you would probably put focusing errors down to technique!

Most of the time mine is fine so I'm assuming that when focus is off its me at fault!

Most of the time mine is fine so I'm assuming that when focus is off its me at fault!

Exactly this.

I haven't done the fine adjustment for any lenses, it mostly seems fine all the time, there are the odd days where I feel it is back focusing and I start fretting over possible going through the fine tuning process, but a few days later all seems fine.

It really helps to not pixel peep (y)

I didnt need to pixel peep to see it was out it was quite obvious so iam thinking it was a faulty lens/camera, at the moment i have no aligence to any brand so just comparing different models.

Jumping in here - I've just bought my new baby. Now I'm researching lenses and honestly, I don't know where to start! I want to photograph dogs and horses, and it would be nice to capture crisp, clean movement rather than a blur. A professional friend uses the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR II but bloody hell, that's expensive! (She also uses a more expensive camera...) I've been piddling about with the D80 and a prime lens and it works well for portraits, but that's about all it's working for!

Do any of you folks have recommendations for a lens that will work well with the D7000 and take attractive shots of zoomy mongrels and bouncing horses in natural light? If it doesn't cost the earth, I'd be happy indeed - but I do know that you get what you pay for...

Actually, I'll take the query to a new thread. :D

Last edited:
Bouncing? As in jumping? Not sure I've ever seen or heard of a horse bouncing. :thinking:

Last edited:
After 7months of trying to get on with my d7000 and it going back to Nikon twice for soft focus issues I have put it on eBay .. Will use the little money I get for it to help buy a d600

Jez, there are supposed to be issues with the D600.
Only issue Ive heard of is the dust on sensor issue? I have a D600 and D7000 and my D600 is no worse for dust than any other DSLR. If you look at the forums most DSLRs seem to have had some issue or another when released.

Simplythebeast said:
Only issue Ive heard of is the dust on sensor issue? I have a D600 and D7000 and my D600 is no worse for dust than any other DSLR. If you look at the forums most DSLRs seem to have had some issue or another when released.

How do you find the D600 in comparison to the 7000 - particularly in AF operation?

Still reckon the meike grip as good as anything !

+1

I had the meike grip and it was great, no need to pay for the nikon one, build was good quality

I absolutely loved my D7000, it was terrific for the 18 months i owned it. Never had any problems. Took some great photos with it, highly recommended for a DX camera.

From what I've heard, the dust issue on the D600 is one time. A friend of mine said that its due to "over/lubrication", where the contaminant spills only once. A wet clean is required, and that is it.
X
Can anyone confirm?

AlanC said:
They also have a Hahnel HN-D7000 Grip for Nikon D7000 costing £119.99.

I finally got the Hahnel grip today and it was up for £99.00 at Jessops so really cost me £50 and it really does make a difference to the handling of the camera, I am very pleased

Had my D7000 over a year now and never had any issues with the kit lens (great little lens by the way!)

I do have a slight back focus issue with my 50mm f/1.8D but as the body is fine with the kit lens I know there is no fault there. A -12 adjustment seems to have sorted it nicely. Took a while to get there though. I couldn't be bothered with all these focus charts, I just got out there one day and tested out in the field until I was happy with the results!

Fab camera...no intention of changing it anytime soon!

I do have a slight back focus issue with my 50mm f/1.8D but as the body is fine with the kit lens I know there is no fault there. A -12 adjustment seems to have sorted it nicely.

As a matter of interest what adjustment was required on the 50mm lens ?

Also, oil on the sensor. And that was my point, the grass isnt always greener.

I love my d7k and it is coming back from Nikon uk by 3 dec from having back focus fixed. Great service.
I once peered down the viewfinder of a full frame camera - yikes it was Pandora's box. Won't make that mistake again till I have some more cash and photographic ability :) (at least not in the ski season :)

Nikon have adjusted focusing on my D7K and updated my firmware way ahead of schedule - awaiting return now. Very efficient service.

Just acquired myself a new D7000 as an insurance replacement for a D300. Only got it yesterday so haven't had time to play with it yet.
Got three new lenses with it too: 35mm f/1.8, a 40mm f/2.8 Macro lens and a 16-85mm VR.
Looks like I've a little reading to do, this thread is enormous!

Cheers,

Neil

neilos100 said:
Just acquired myself a new D7000 as an insurance replacement for a D300. Only got it yesterday so haven't had time to play with it yet.
Got three new lenses with it too: 35mm f/1.8, a 40mm f/2.8 Macro lens and a 16-85mm VR.
Looks like I've a little reading to do, this thread is enormous!

Cheers,

Neil

Ok I have lens envy :)
Enjoy!

Hehe.....the three new ones go with my two existing ones......Nikon 70-300VR and the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8....the latter being a truly amazing piece of glass!
Think I probably have enough now....though may sell the 16-85 and the macro to fund a used 17-55.

Neil

Persephone said:
Jumping in here - I've just bought my new baby. Now I'm researching lenses and honestly, I don't know where to start! I want to photograph dogs and horses, and it would be nice to capture crisp, clean movement rather than a blur. A professional friend uses the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR II but bloody hell, that's expensive! (She also uses a more expensive camera...) I've been piddling about with the D80 and a prime lens and it works well for portraits, but that's about all it's working for!

Do any of you folks have recommendations for a lens that will work well with the D7000 and take attractive shots of zoomy mongrels and bouncing horses in natural light? If it doesn't cost the earth, I'd be happy indeed - but I do know that you get what you pay for...

Actually, I'll take the query to a new thread. :D

On a budget I'd probably go for;

Nikon 70-300VR

and try and get a second hand Tamron 28-75 f2.8

That should do it :)

D7k back from Nikon - very excited again. Looking forward to a higher focus sucess rate

That was a fast return Nikon UK

MIKEROPHONICS said:
D7k back from Nikon - very excited again. Looking forward to a higher focus sucess rate

That was a fast return Nikon UK

How long did it take?
Gonna test my new d7000 tonight for any focus issues.

danolive1 said:
How long did it take?
Gonna test my new d7000 tonight for any focus issues.

I bet you will see some :eek: you'll always do when you look for it. Make certain you have plenty of light as in low light you will have other factors coming in to it.

Had a little play with my d7000 and 50mm 1.8g, set @ f4 1/100s on a tripod with timer release, i need betwwen -15 to -20 to get the lens pin sharp (as sharp as liveview). Then i had a play with various shutter speeds to see what speed i would need to get a pin sharp pic hand held, well i was quite surprised that i needed 1/125 of a second for the pics to look sharp (iam sure on my old camera i could go much lower, but that was a 12mp.) so i have now set auto iso at max 6400 and min shutter at 1/125 and hey presto sharp pics. :)

Try Q mode and slow to see how you get on theres a lot of talk of the mirror slap causing it and slower speeds and Q mode helps, not tried myself

Well I am finally getting a D7000 just in time for it to be replaced H1 next year some time. Oh well, the new camera will have too many mega pixels.

Just need to do the whole waiting for the 25th thing now. And find £150 for a 35mm 1.8 to use instead of my 18-55 mk1.

Will be ordering a grip on payday, does anyone know if the Link delight (which I think are Mieke) ones still have the dials reversed? Seems like all the references to that stop in 2011?

Back