Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Milkfloat said:
If only it were an extra £200. Try an extra £400.

I went with a 1.8 prime set instead of upgrading. I'll pick a new camera body when I decide where my next holiday is 😉

So peeps, where's the cheapest D7000 stockist at the moment?

I've fired emails to both Hdew and Panamoz. I'll let you know what they come up with! I'd be happy with £540ish, much more and i'd probably just buy in the UK.

Hdew replied - no discount what so ever, not even with a bank transfer. Meh!

ohms12 said:
Hdew replied - no discount what so ever, not even with a bank transfer. Meh!

This sounds like you send them an email asking for discount. Apologies if I am mistaken, but surely if you want to negotiate you call them up. Engage in the conversation, see what is in it for them to give you a discount etc. be ready to pay over the phone there and ten. I mean if I had a total stranger sending me an email asking for a discount guess why, yup the answer is no.

Any new technology will always be more when it first comes out. Think of it this way you have had 2 years worth of use of one of the best nikon dx camera during the last 2 years, and you still have many more years of use too.

The reason why glass doesn't come down in price so fast is because its not replaced with a new model every 1-2 years. The 17-55 was released a long time ago yet I can't see nikon ever updating it. A 17-55 or 24-70 would out last many camera bodies. It one of the reasons why people always advise to invest in good glass, firstly it improves image quality and its holds its value very well. The 17-55 has dropped s/h wise as is roughly £600-700 yet still over £1000 new, so prices have dropped slightly. It depends on if you don't mind going down the used route. I can see the d7000 giving many more good years of use.

I couldn't agree more! My D7000 has served me incredibly well over the last 2 years, and I certainly don't see myself wanting to upgrade or sell it any time soon.

Nikon's lenses definitely hold their value far better than any other brand, so I'm determined to save up and stick to what I know rather than buying cheaper alternatives just for the sake of adding to my kit! I've never actually bought a brand new lens though, so when I do get round to investing in a 17-55mm/ 24-70mm, they will probably be secondhand as well.

I went with a 1.8 prime set instead of upgrading. I'll pick a new camera body when I decide where my next holiday is 😉
I think you guys are right, I am going to get a D7000 and 18-105 VR plus and 35mm instead of waiting for the more expensive D7X00.....
what do you guys think of the 18 -105 VR???

I think you guys are right, I am going to get a D7000 and 18-105 VR plus and 35mm instead of waiting for the more expensive D7X00.....
what do you guys think of the 18 -105 VR???

It's a very decent, flexible kit lens in my opinion.

I'm selling mine in the classifieds here due to the purchase of a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens, as I also have a Tamron 70-300 VC lens and between them they cover most of the range of the 18-105mm (y)

Very useful that 18-105 lens good all round to walk with (not too bulky) and a good performer. ideal as a first lens with d7000.

It's a very decent, flexible kit lens in my opinion.

I'm selling mine in the classifieds here due to the purchase of a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens, as I also have a Tamron 70-300 VC lens and between them they cover most of the range of the 18-105mm (y)
after a bit of reading........
what do you guys think of these instead of 18-105?

- Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
- Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6G IF-ED DX VR

they come out very similar price. read KenRockwell review 18-105 is not that good....

help....

after a bit of reading........
what do you guys think of these instead of 18-105?

- Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
- Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6G IF-ED DX VR

they come out very similar price. read KenRockwell review 18-105 is not that good....

help....

I had the 18-55mm on the D5000 and rarely used it as I had a 35mm prime that was better but requires walking instead of zooming.

55-200mm has a poor starting aperture of f/4.0 at 55mm and I'd avoid really.

I bought the 18-105 two cameras ago. I had the 18-55 kit lens and the 55-300, but for walkaround purposes I never had the right lens on... the 18-105 fixed that. The flexibility is great, and the IQ is fine in my opinion. For what it cost I can't see myself getting rid unless I could justify the cost of the 18-200. I have better lenses, but as a walkabout it's still my fallback choice.

I don't rate the 55-200 at all in combination with the d7000. The 70-300 just totally blows it away. Yes the 55-200 is good value, but the d7000 just begs for good glass to make it shine.

I sold mine within weeks when I ran it side by side with the 70-300.

Take no notice of Rockwell. Have a look on the 18-105 flickr group

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Good Old Ken!

The D7000 shines with good glass!(y)

For the money the 18-55mm is good value but peronally wouldn't use it on my D7000.
The 55-200 gives good results for the money but not very wide when you take the crop factor into account!
If you want good glass on a limited budget either the 35mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.8 are good bets,but not ideal if you want a 1 lens fits all zoom but great if you want the best out of the camera.(y)

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Good Old Ken!

The D7000 shines with good glass!(y)

For the money the 18-55mm is good value but peronally wouldn't use it on my D7000.
The 55-200 gives good results for the money but not very wide when you take the crop factor into account!
If you want good glass on a limited budget either the 35mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.8 are good bets,but not ideal if you want a 1 lens fits all zoom but great if you want the best out of the camera.(y)

It's "lens" Simon. Just saying (y)

Is there a big difference between the D7000 and the D90 given that 2nd hand the D90 sells for about £300 and the D7000 for £500

I use the 55-200 AND the 70-300 with D7000 & D5000

I love the 55-200, for the money the performance is really amazing as it seems to hit the mark every time (apart from 'user error' ;) )

The 70-300 is also excellent, but your subject needs to be slower moving.

I can take pics of the dogs haring around at top speed with the 55-200, no chance at all with the 70-300. However, if focusing on something that's more than likely to stay still for more than a second (and you're prepared) the 70-300 performs brilliantly too.

Make sure you calibrate both to the camera to get optimum performance!

Re 18-105, I don't use one, but a fellow togger that uses this primarily for weddings is pleased with hers, but I've sometimes seen a lack of sharpness.

Best thing for you to do is go along to your local LCE and ask to try them all and see which (or what combination) suits you best :)

here's some examples of how good the 55-200 is

8395488197_bf993714e5_z.jpg

and the 70-300...

8447999491_c899c01212_c.jpg

Simon, did you get your Tokina? they're a bit like rocking horse shiite to get hold of!

No I've ended up with the Nikon 12-24 f4!:)

Got it second hand off here for less than an imported Tokina!

A few had recommended the 12-24 in my thread asking for advice on an UWA here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=462411 so when 1 came up in the classifieds i went for it!

Turned up today actually all looks good just need the weekend to come to have a play!;)

Well, tonite I put in my order for a new D7000, I was very excited only to be confronted my a second email an hour later, saying we're out of stock. :-(

Well, tonite I put in my order for a new D7000, I was very excited only to be confronted my a second email an hour later, saying we're out of stock. :-(

Hey Rob,
Where are you ordering from? Looking to get one too.

Last edited:
I have an 18-200 that was fine on my d40x, but with my d7K and how I am pushing things to get better, I am seeing its flaws and tend to use my primes more especially 85mm f1.8D - it's a corker. Seem to use 35mm f1.8G dx and the 85mm the most and 50mm f1.8 D the least.
Yes 7K better than d90 and worth the extra. Bette video, better processor, twin card slots etc etc
Re Ken Rockwell. IMHO His science is good. His ability to cut to the chase can be quite uncanny, however like much on the Internet, take what you want from it and don't treat as gospel. He is very helpful about vintage lenses - and has tempted me with buying a 80-200 f2.8, but occasionally comes out with silly statements like "my iPhone is better than an sLR". Gear heads hate him as he doesn't make them feel good about spending money on gear. Artists do not think he is Ansel Adams. My peeve is he divides everyone into full frame, or cheapo DX. The advanced Dx or very keen amateur improver such as myself who flirt with the idea of one day earning money with a lens or going full frame when we are good enough, so don't want to buy twice and are prepared to carry around big glass.

Cheers

This sounds like you send them an email asking for discount. Apologies if I am mistaken, but surely if you want to negotiate you call them up. Engage in the conversation, see what is in it for them to give you a discount etc. be ready to pay over the phone there and ten. I mean if I had a total stranger sending me an email asking for a discount guess why, yup the answer is no.

Well, it wasn't so much asking for a discount. I emailed to enquire about paying with a bank transfer and the best possible price available doing so and how I would go about sending payment. As you say, I probably should have called up and spoken to them, but she didn't really seem interested in offering anything for a BT, whereas nearly every other site does.

Rob, how about a PM my way too? :LOL:

chrism_scotland said:
I've been pondering the D7000 having briefly tried one last year and was considering the 18-105 or buying a set of the cheapish primes (35,50,85) mainly for compactness but I'd imagine the IQ would best the kit lens too.

IQ will be better from the primes!
You just trade off convenience of the zoom!

I'm a bit torn I've been close to buying a Fuji XPro1 mainly for the size but the value of a D7000 just seems much better at the moment and I'm half thinking that with the smallish primes I'd probably not notice a massive size difference as the Fuji lenses are quite big!

Managed to get Sigma 18-50 f2.8 from evil-bay for £100. As I was mostly using flash indoors anyway, justifies it over 35mm which sometimes was not wide enough. Now need to learn on using Jessops 360AFD and Nikon 28-DX which were owned from previous adventure of D7K.

Keeping an eye on above discussion about 55-200 vs 70-300. Just to extend on longer focal end and 55-200 is at very sweet spot price-wise. Given that one of the selling point of D7K is compatibility with older lenses esp on AF area, which ones everyone using here? can't see any recommendations.

I bought the Sigma 18-50 2.8 too, and I'm very happy with it. From that moment my 35 1.8 was effectively obsolete.

Managed to get Sigma 18-50 f2.8 from evil-bay for £100. As I was mostly using flash indoors anyway, justifies it over 35mm which sometimes was not wide enough. Now need to learn on using Jessops 360AFD and Nikon 28-DX which were owned from previous adventure of D7K.

Keeping an eye on above discussion about 55-200 vs 70-300. Just to extend on longer focal end and 55-200 is at very sweet spot price-wise. Given that one of the selling point of D7K is compatibility with older lenses esp on AF area, which ones everyone using here? can't see any recommendations.

Don't discount the Tamron 70-300 VC for the longer lengths!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003YUBTIA/ref=noref/280-9449675-7306558?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=photo

I love mine, although not had much chance to use it on D7000 yet, mostly used on D5000.

f/5.6 @ 300mm 1/60th (Handheld) D5000

8470629107_9bbc4e524d.jpg

f/4.0 @ 70mm 1/20th (Handheld) D5000

8470631469_4d3d698bd1.jpg

Last edited:
cheers baz for suggestion. BTW great shots and good colours ;)

Edit: Damn....I need to go out more with camera :wacky:.

Last edited:

I've got the sigma 17-50 OS HSM EX (or whatever the letter combination is) and this is my walkabout lens - I love it, fantastic IQ, beautiful bokek (better than Nikon IMHO) and it's always on the camera :)

re the 55-200 vs 70-300 - if I really was forced to chose, I'd probably go for the 55-200 as at full stretch and wide open it performs beautifully, whereas the 70-300 isn't quite as good (but only by a smidge!) Both of mine are the VR versions.

(I've put some pics on this thread, see post 2383)

Last edited:
No I've ended up with the Nikon 12-24 f4!:)

Got it second hand off here for less than an imported Tokina!

A few had recommended the 12-24 in my thread asking for advice on an UWA here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=462411 so when 1 came up in the classifieds i went for it!

Turned up today actually all looks good just need the weekend to come to have a play!;)

Sounds like a bargain. I am traveling with work at the weekend so I will be looking in the airport shops for a similar bargain.

Back