Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Picked up another Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8 which I have missed since I sold it a while back and a Nikon 50mm f1.8 D AF.

That means I have a line up of: Nikon 18-200mm, 35/50/85 primes, Samyang 8mm fisheye. The only thing missing is either the Sigma 10-20 or more likely the Tokina 11-16mm. I am glad I have got my hands on it but wish it was from a store I could collect tomorrow from.

Charlatan said:
Picked up another Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8 which I have missed since I sold it a while back and a Nikon 50mm f1.8 D AF.

That means I have a line up of: Nikon 18-200mm, 35/50/85 primes, Samyang 8mm fisheye. The only thing missing is either the Sigma 10-20 or more likely the Tokina 11-16mm. I am glad I have got my hands on it but wish it was from a store I could collect tomorrow from.

Okay nice, the 35mm 1.8 is one of favourite lenses tbh

I missed it when it went and I figured that I was spending so much anyway, why not go that little bit further and get what I missed. :LOL:

D7000 related question: Do the two SD cards need to be the same size/speed in both slots?

No they don't. I was using 1 SD card and one mini SD card in an adapter bother different sizes and didn't have a problem.

I recently bought a 35 1.8 and love it. I find my 30 year old 50 1.8 to not quite have enough field of view (and it's manual focus which is bloody annoying :LOL: ) whereas the 35 is much more useful for what I shoot.

Got mine from LCE yesterday, £1150 with the 18-105mm kit lens, bit high I thought but couldn't wait for the stock issue to resolve itself.

First impressions, love it! :clap:

<<< Is now the proud owner of a D7000.

Just waiting on the battery charging and the camera/new lenses warming up after being out in the cold in the back of a van travelling to me. First impressions are it is everything I want it to be in the hand. Will post up later when I have had a play.

welcome to the club.

I love my D7000 with my 28/35/50/135 primes. i know 85 is on my next hit list. Also for zoom lens i like my sigma 70-200 f2.8 and tokina 28-70 f2.8.

The camera work well with all my lens.

Welcome to all the new D7000 owners. Had mine since October 11th and I love it to bits. Awesome camera for the money.

I do have one (rather dipsy) question. On the 18-105 kit lens how do I focus to inifinity? Is it a case of turning the manual focus ring as far as it will go (clockwise from behind the camera I think) and then turn it back a little bit? Or does the 18-105 not focus to infinity?

Thanks
Jonathan

Right cant get my head round this; ice hockey static shots set up high - is02500 f3.5 @ 1/320 look good hardly any noise, same setup same light but subjects moving more noise in the image - faces mainly. Now only thing i can think off is that the faces in the static shot are larger and so absorb more light - less noise, but action shots - face smaller in image so darker - more noise ? - may have answered my own question.

Welcome to all the new D7000 owners. Had mine since October 11th and I love it to bits. Awesome camera for the money.

I do have one (rather dipsy) question. On the 18-105 kit lens how do I focus to inifinity? Is it a case of turning the manual focus ring as far as it will go (clockwise from behind the camera I think) and then turn it back a little bit? Or does the 18-105 not focus to infinity?

Thanks
Jonathan

I don't own a 18-105 but i do have the 35mm f1.8 which doesn't have the focus distance scale mark on the lens. I take it your kit lens is the same.

I have trouble finding infinity focus without looking at the LCD or view finder to find it myself.

I guess you can try to work out the infinity focus yourself and put a mark on lens?

Had my D7000 for about a year now and love it.

However, the sensor is a magnet for dirt. Virtually every time I detach a lens it seems to pick up dirt. Generally its not the type that can be easily removed with a rocket blower either. It's normally quite......well.....sticky. I don't change the lens that frequently either - the 17-55 stays on there 80% of the time

I'm happy cleaning the sensor myself but just wondered if anyone else is suffering the same problem.

I never cleaned the sensor on my previous DSLR and I must have had that for 3 years.

Its defo occurring a lot more often than it should. Could it possibly be from something that's already in the camera, grease for example?:shrug:

Ta

Mark

Had my D7000 for about a year now and love it.

However, the sensor is a magnet for dirt. Virtually every time I detach a lens it seems to pick up dirt. Generally its not the type that can be easily removed with a rocket blower either. It's normally quite......well.....sticky. I don't change the lens that frequently either - the 17-55 stays on there 80% of the time

I'm happy cleaning the sensor myself but just wondered if anyone else is suffering the same problem.

I never cleaned the sensor on my previous DSLR and I must have had that for 3 years.

Its defo occurring a lot more often than it should. Could it possibly be from something that's already in the camera, grease for example?:shrug:

Ta

Mark

Yep, same issue, it's an oily residue from the shutter mechanism somewhere but has become less recently, was very bad first couple of weeks. Have used sensorswabs and eclipse fluid and managed good results but does seem to be a quirk of certain models of the D7000, just out of interest, what batch run / serial number is your camera?

"ERE MATE HOW MANY d7000'S HAVE YOU GOT IN STOCK?"

"4"

calls wife on mobile - reserves one instore, send me the code by text

Jobs a goodun, purchased in 4 mins, at web price instore

Anyone spotted any Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales which make a nice D7000 deal? Bundles with 24-70mm f/2.8 with some kind of instant rebate, maybe? Wishful thinking!

Also pondering whether now is a good time to buy, with announcements just around the corner in the form of D800 and possibly a D400... choices choices...

Anyone spotted any Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales which make a nice D7000 deal? Bundles with 24-70mm f/2.8 with some kind of instant rebate, maybe? Wishful thinking!

Also pondering whether now is a good time to buy, with announcements just around the corner in the form of D800 and possibly a D400... choices choices...

You missed it. Amazon had it for £808.80 but price is back up now. Only slight chance you have is Bestbuy on Monday as they are closing down but can't see many places doing any offer on the D7000 as stock levels are very low and not being replenished.

Yep, same issue, it's an oily residue from the shutter mechanism somewhere but has become less recently, was very bad first couple of weeks. Have used sensorswabs and eclipse fluid and managed good results but does seem to be a quirk of certain models of the D7000, just out of interest, what batch run / serial number is your camera?

This is a known fault friend of mine had it on his as well send it back to Nikon and they will repair

Ahh, ok. That would make sense. The s/n is 7401760

Apparently Nikon may be updating the 85mm 1.8. Rumour of course, but seeing as I recently bought the AF version, I'm willing to bet they update it with AF-S, correct the purple-green CA and make it a little more expensive :LOL:

My D7000 arrived today. :D I was even allowed to hold it briefly before it got wrapped up for Yule. Can't wait to try and it out and spend the inevitable day tweaking settings and getting my head around more then 3 focus points. :D Next purchase a kit lens replacement I think.

I'm still waiting for Father Christmas to come down the chimney with mine:crying:

I'm consideing getting a D7000 but looking at the spec the minimum shutter speed would appear to be 30 sec's.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/7260872/art/nikon/d7000-af-s-dx-18-105-mm-v.html?srcid=369

Is there a Bulb setting on Manual Mode or would the funcionality of an additional gadget be able to facilitate this?

In short, great camera but I want to be able to take long exposures (1 -2 Mins) is this possible using this camera ?

Many thanks indeed,

Nick

I've been using bulb mode whilst in manual for multiple minute exposures, so yes. One click on the remote opens the shutter, another closes it.

I'm consideing getting a D7000 but looking at the spec the minimum shutter speed would appear to be 30 sec's.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/7260872/art/nikon/d7000-af-s-dx-18-105-mm-v.html?srcid=369

Is there a Bulb setting on Manual Mode or would the funcionality of an additional gadget be able to facilitate this?

In short, great camera but I want to be able to take long exposures (1 -2 Mins) is this possible using this camera ?

Many thanks indeed,

Nick

In manual, use the back click wheel to set the shutter speed to 30 secs. One more click beyond 30 secs will show "- -". This is bulb mode. Hold shutter release button down to open shutter, release to close. My advice is use a remote - one click to open shutter another to close it.

(y)

Hi all, is there any problems or danger of buying a grey import?
I know they are imported and have English settings and manual but wondered would it work out costly for me if it needed repair.

Hi all, is there a problem or danger of buying a grey import?
I know they are imported and come with English manual and settings just wondered if it would be costly for me if it needed repaired.

Gupster and Beth, that's great thank you. my last question answered. Mind made up now D7000 soon to be purchased.

How good is the D7000 in low light at high ISO and the auto focus when it comes to moving subjects?

Thanks Tommy I think you have just helped me spend Over a grand of my savings good job I love photography lol

Hi all, is there a problem or danger of buying a grey import?
I know they are imported and come with English manual and settings just wondered if it would be costly for me if it needed repaired.

I bought mine as a grey import from Hdew with no second thoughts. They offer their own guarantee for repairs to be done by Fixation who are pretty good.

At the end of the day you want a camera that works and someone who will fix it if it doesn't work. If it matters to you who fixes it then buy a genuine import, if not then save yourself £100 and buy grey.

Hello my fellow D7000 owners....just unpacked mine and waiting for the battery to charge :tumbleweed: and thumbing through the considerable manual :help:

So exciting....anyways, first of many questions im sure, batteries, can anyone recommend a reliable third party source.

Hello my fellow D7000 owners....just unpacked mine and waiting for the battery to charge :tumbleweed: and thumbing through the considerable manual :help:

So exciting....anyways, first of many questions im sure, batteries, can anyone recommend a reliable third party source.

I was looking for third party batteries earlier this week, they didn't seem much of a saving over the oem ones...unless someone else here knows different?...

I was looking for third party batteries earlier this week, they didn't seem much of a saving over the oem ones...unless someone else here knows different?...

i don't think there are any 3rd party copies of the en-el15 available yet, i never found any when i looked. i managed to pick up an original off the classified at a reasonable price.

If no 3rd party, any recommendations for the cheapest place to buy Nikon ones ?

I'm not sure there's any point getting spare batteries unless you're doing really, really heavy shooting or are going out into the wilderness. The battery is good for 1200+ shots on a single charge. I think the most I've had was 1400, and that was with the camera driving a 70-200 for all the shots, and it still had charge left.

Quite pleased with these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-New-Ve...tery_Grips&hash=item2a13dd9d11#ht_2598wt_1398

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3400mAh-E...tery_Grips&hash=item3cbe97fe7a#ht_1624wt_1398

To be fair the standard EN-EL15 Battery is superb.

Back