Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Bought my second lens in 2 weeks today with no camera body to put either on :thinking:!!
Getting excited now, my D7000 has left HK!

I bought a 35mm G prime today as I loved my manual 35mm prime I had on my D3100.

The 35 was £144 from Jessops before £20 cashback so I was happy with that (y). All the staff were a bit scared to put it through on their ID cards as they thought they'd get in trouble for price matching their own company. They did it though. Bit mad i bought a pouch for the lens as I didn't realise it came with one (albeit not as protective as the Lowepro i bought).

I also bought the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC last week. I was so close to buying the 18-270 (??) as an all-rounder for holidays but plumped for the 17-50 after lots of deliberation. 5 yr warranty from Tamron as well. Roll on Friday when my D7000 hopefully comes(y)(y)

I am in pretty much the same boat as you. D7000 in mid air on its way to me, selling my D3100, have a 35mm 1.8 already (love it) and a 55-300 (tolerate it), just waiting for a decent price for the Tamron 17-50 VC either sub £300 new or around £200 used.

Hi all.

Looking to buy another battery for my D7000.

Is it still the case that these batteries are yet to be copied? So if I buy one from eBay I'm guaranteed to have bought the genuine article?!

Hi all.

Is it still the case that these batteries are yet to be copied? So if I buy one from eBay I'm guaranteed to have bought the genuine article?!

I'd buy one from a known source, I have a feeling there's some batteries out there but with no chip which won't work.

dan_yorkshire said:
Hi all.

Jessops now do a hahnel version

Last edited:
northernbiff said:
Just ordered a battery today from amazon for £25. I hope its the real deal or its going back.

You got the link to that bud?

Last edited:
northernbiff said:
Thanks for asking, which in turn caused me to have a look only to find i had ordered the wrong ferkin one! I didn't see P7000 and thought it was for the D7000 without checking the battery number. I have cancelled the order and hopefully wont make the same mistake again!:bonk:

Not the right link! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZYF3M8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Haha, thought it was too good.

The link above I posted seems pretty good for £36. Gonna take a punt I think

TordFuglstad said:
Just bought a D800 and are going to sell my D7000 soon. Don't want to though, makes me a bit sad, we have soo many memories together. lol

I'm selling mine at the moment. Its in the classifieds on here. Very little interest. Hardly surprising when you consider new prices I suppose. I may end up keeping it as a backup to my backup!!

Just bought a D800 and are going to sell my D7000 soon. Don't want to though, makes me a bit sad, we have soo many memories together. lol

I'm selling mine at the moment. Its in the classifieds on here. Very little interest. Hardly surprising when you consider new prices I suppose. I may end up keeping it as a backup to my backup!!

Did this too, but not selling - it doesn't seem worth it when brand new UK ones can be had for £600. I'm also glad I didn't because I'm now thinking of going for the RX-1 instead of the D800 and keeping the D7000 for the things that need an SLR...

My D7000 came today!! Left HK on Monday, a quick stopover in Germany and in Leicester by 09:30 this morning.

Chuffed to bits. Going to go out with it tomorrow if it stays mild like the last few days. A real happy bunny today

Enjoy it, looks like mine is spending the night in Germany. I was hoping it would arrive tomorrow, but looks like Friday now.

Enjoy it, looks like mine is spending the night in Germany. I was hoping it would arrive tomorrow, but looks like Friday now.

I was expecting to see a post from you saying yours had arrived today as well :shake:. Mine was East Mids airport at 04:00 a.m today and I was expecting a customs delay so was looking at Thurs/Fri. 5 hours later and trusty DHL were at my door. Maybe tomorrow?

Did this too, but not selling - it doesn't seem worth it when brand new UK ones can be had for £600. I'm also glad I didn't because I'm now thinking of going for the RX-1 instead of the D800 and keeping the D7000 for the things that need an SLR...

Hello,
Out of interest, what are you both advertising your D7000s for on here?

Unfortunately as a newbie I don't have access to the classifieds yet, but I keep twitching over £499 D7000s at mpbphotographic to replace my D3100.....

My D7000 came today!! Left HK on Monday, a quick stopover in Germany and in Leicester by 09:30 this morning.

Chuffed to bits. Going to go out with it tomorrow if it stays mild like the last few days. A real happy bunny today

Jealous! Congrats though, let us know if you have any issues with focusing etc, i'm guessing it's only a small amount of people who have that issue though.

Just bought a battery grip and battery off classifieds!!!
The Nikon ML remote too.
Missed out on the 12-24mm f4 :(

This DSLR malarky is getting expensive.
Waiting for Currys/PC World to get more D7000's instock still. :(

May still pull the trigger on a 12-24mm f4 if I find a good price.

This will only leave me needing a lens from 55-300mm but what I've been told, the 70-300mm VR is the one to get? About £400 new?
Are there any negatives putting a FX lens on a DX body?

The 70-200mm VRIi is too expensive :(

Also need a bag to keep my kit in, any suggestions?
I also have a manfrotto tripod.

Riz :)

No problems at all putting an fx lens on a dx body...

I've had many a great time with the 70-300vr until I traded it in against a 70-200vr

Bags, well it depends on what you want and how you want to match your outfit :p

I have a Kata 222-UL backpack, a Crumpler Daily L messenger bag and a Billingham 555 super stylish shoulder bag...

Rizvan said:
Just bought a battery grip and battery off classifieds!!!
The Nikon ML remote too.
Missed out on the 12-24mm f4 :(

This DSLR malarky is getting expensive.
Waiting for Currys/PC World to get more D7000's instock still. :(

May still pull the trigger on a 12-24mm f4 if I find a good price.

This will only leave me needing a lens from 55-300mm but what I've been told, the 70-300mm VR is the one to get? About £400 new?
Are there any negatives putting a FX lens on a DX body?

The 70-200mm VRIi is too expensive :(

Also need a bag to keep my kit in, any suggestions?
I also have a manfrotto tripod.

Yeah sorry bout the 12-24 Riz:)
There's no problem putting FX lenses on a DX body. It's only when you start putting DX on an FX body you start running into problems.

Mines just gone off the have the back focus problem sorted. I am already missing it!

JulesP said:
Yeah sorry bout the 12-24 Riz:)
There's no problem putting FX lenses on a DX body. It's only when you start putting DX on an FX body you start running into problems.

Hiya,
It's ok mate :) I will see how I get on with the 17-55mm, might not need wider. It was just a good price so I took a punt at it.

I wonder if Jessops will do 50% off lenses (wishing) ;)

Will get all my gear first and then look at a bag.

I just need my darn D7000 bought ASAP.

Have any of you D7000 owners upgraded from a D3100?

If so, how much of an 'upgrade' are you finding it?

• Do you find the body much bigger/heavier? (I like the small nature of my D3100)
  • How is ISO performance at 800, 1600 and 3200 (compared to the D3100?)
  • Does the 2nd dial make controlling iso/aperture and shutter speed quicker/better? (rather having to press function button for ISO)
  • I've read "lower end" lenses perform badly due to better quality body (18-200 for example), any evidence?
  • Any other advatanges/disadvantages you've noticed?
I've had a few occurrences lately where i've had to bump to 1600/3200 even with my Tamron 17-50 2.8 and 35mm 1.8 (think Xmas eve indoors, mood lighting)

Also, dull day last week, bump to ISO 800 with my 18-200 to ensure shutter speed.

I'm sure the D7000 would make a better fist of 800/1600/3200, but how much of a difference?

Cold hard cash, I could sell my D3100 body for £200 and pick up a D7000 for £500 say? Is it really a £300 upgrade for me? I'm not sure. :thinking:

Thanks in advance.

I upgraded from the d3100 last week.

The body is about 2cm taller, and maybe slightly thicker, not a huge size increase.
The 2 dials are great, on mine, one is for shutter/aperture, the other is ISO.

It is taking me a while to get used to the LCD display on top of the camera, I currently keep hitting info and using the back screen like you would do on the d7000.

I picked mine up for £500 and I am expecting to sell my d3100 with the 2 original lenses, extra battery etch or just under £300. Body and kit lens would for for a bit over over £200 realistically.

It feels nicer, better to use, the viewfinder is great, just need to get out with it more :)

Well it just arrived - a bit surprising as tracking said it was still at the airport. I have been having a bit of a play already, loads of fun. Now I just need to persuade the wife and kids to go away for the weekend so I can really spend some time with it.

My reasons for upgrading from the D3100 were (in no particular order), better ability in lowlight, bracketing, ability to use older lenses, easier to use the few times I get into manual mode, faster to set up a shot (extra functions on the buttons), found D3100 a little small for my hands, dual SD slot, but most of all - I wanted a new toy.

The D3100 and kit lens will be going on ebay to fund a Tamron 17-50 VC.

Bother. My finger appears to have slipped (several times) and I appear to have placed an order for a D7000 from MPBPhotographic.

Now then, how do I explain this to the missus.....

So after worrying about back focusing, I did some tests (I know I was advised not to, but I am a naughty boy with a shiny toy). On my 3.5mm 1.8G prime I had back focusing, but I also had it on my D3100. I corrected on the D7000 by -10 and it seems pretty much on the ball now. On the 55-300mm and the 18-55mm kit I could see no problem, but then again the depth of field on those is not amazing anyway. So I conclude that I have no back focusing issue on the D7000, just a minor one (now corrected) with one lens. I am still a rubbish photographer though.

dejongj said:
No problems at all putting an fx lens on a dx body...

I've had many a great time with the 70-300vr until I traded it in against a 70-200vr

Bags, well it depends on what you want and how you want to match your outfit :p

I have a Kata 222-UL backpack, a Crumpler Daily L messenger bag and a Billingham 555 super stylish shoulder bag...

I've done the same. The 70-200 vr1 is great for dx as the issue of edge and corner sharpness doesn't apply when using the lens on a dx camera. Dx cameras only use the centre of an fx lens. 70-300 vr is a cracking lens.

eltawater said:
Yup, and I can't wait to receive it today! I feel like a mini-shopping spree about to rear its head though...

So the 70-200 VRI bs VRII on a DX body there is no IQ difference? There's about £600 in price difference.

The 70-300mm VR seems to be getting good praise for a £399 lens.
May go down the 70-300mm VR route and if I find I need better then decide. :)

Back