Nikon D7xxx owners thread

The AE-L button is perfectly placed for BBF provided you are right eyed. As one of the Devil's own, I am left eyed and the button is very uncomfortable to use on my D7000. The button needs to be placed further to the right to be of any use to me but there really isn't the real estate to do that. The front grip Function button is less than ideal as well, I can't find it readily. The button placement is, dare I whisper it within this thread, perfect for me on my Canon 5D2. However, the power switch is perfectly placed on the D7000 and a two handed job on the Canon.

The AE-L button is perfectly placed for BBF provided you are right eyed. As one of the Devil's own, I am left eyed and the button is very uncomfortable to use on my D7000. The button needs to be placed further to the right to be of any use to me but there really isn't the real estate to do that. The front grip Function button is less than ideal as well, I can't find it readily. The button placement is, dare I whisper it within this thread, perfect for me on my Canon 5D2. However, the power switch is perfectly placed on the D7000 and a two handed job on the Canon.

I used to be left eyed until a cataract started in that eye then I needed to switch to my right eye a few months ago. (Did wonders for my getting the manual focus right though) so I am lucky as the BBF is OK for me and only in 24 hours I'm seeing the benefits.

Suppose I should give it a go then really...

I have over the weekend and can now see the benefits so glad I listened to the nagging on this thread ;)

Have you bought the D7100?

Change at your age - wait til you get to my age - change is a nightmare:(

Were you in Matlock Bath at the weekend?

You must be rich - I'm a poor OAP.

I'll have to google Whitworth Park.

It's not new but I've got a good deal on it imo. ;)

Thanks Andy. I'm still learning PP so it's good to get it noticed. :)

How are you learning, anything you'd recommend? I've just started watching through some youtube videos and following them through to get a better understanding of PP in general. If you have any pointers towards that style though, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Still love my D7000 although I've gone FX as well now. But the D7000 will still get plenty of use with the 17-55 F2.8.

Wonder if I'll see any difference in the 7100 over the 7000? Doubt it.
I certainly notice a difference between the D7K and D7100 - better AF, better IQ even with average glass (the 24-70 is amazing on it though). Feels better in the hand too.

Reassuring @JulesP, thanks. :)

I do need to decide on what lenses to add to it... I had the Nikon 17-55 before and whilst it was totally awesome, it gave some really bad flare issues which rendered it pretty much useless for any kind of landscape stuff if it involved the sun. I'm contemplating an all Sigma line up, maybe the 18-35 f1.8, 50mm f1.4 (older non art version) and the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 os.

That's obviously stocked over a few months, but I'm leaning towards that kind of setup. Anyone see any issues?

Reassuring @JulesP, thanks. :)

I do need to decide on what lenses to add to it... I had the Nikon 17-55 before and whilst it was totally awesome, it gave some really bad flare issues which rendered it pretty much useless for any kind of landscape stuff if it involved the sun. I'm contemplating an all Sigma line up, maybe the 18-35 f1.8, 50mm f1.4 (older non art version) and the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 os.

That's obviously stocked over a few months, but I'm leaning towards that kind of setup. Anyone see any issues?
I also have the Sigma 70-200 OS and its pin sharp on the D7100:)
Also got the Sigma 120-400 OS which I was going to sell as it was always soft on my old D7000 but again on the 7100 its much much sharper:)

I certainly notice a difference between the D7K and D7100 - better AF, better IQ even with average glass (the 24-70 is amazing on it though). Feels better in the hand too.

Nice to hear, I ordered one yesterday. I liked my D7k but preferred the Fuji when I swapped over.

I have sold my Fuji kit as they delayed there super zoom by 12 months and as I have got into bird photography in the garden I decided to switch back to Nikon for longer lenses available. I did buy a D750 but had to return to due to debris in the VF, also due to no cash I had to buy some cheap lenses to get me going, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 and Nikon 75-300mm..

After looking at finances over the New Year, I have decided to go with the D7100 & 300mm f4 for the birding. I will buy some primes, 50g & 85g and save for the D750. I thought I would be better off with a decent camera and lens, rather than a excellent camera and not so good lenses.

Last edited:
Nice to hear, I ordered one yesterday. I liked my D7k but preferred the Fuji when I swapped over.

I have sold my Fuji kit as they delayed there super zoom by 12 months and as I have got into bird photography in the garden I decided to switch back to Nikon for longer lenses available. I did buy a D750 but had to return to due to debris in the VF, also due to no cash I had to buy some cheap lenses to get me going, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 and Nikon 75-300mm..

After looking at finances over the New Year, I have decided to go with the D7100 & 300mm f4 for the birding. I will buy some primes, 50g & 85g and save for the D750. I thought I would be better off with a decent camera and lens, rather than a excellent camera and not so good lenses.
You should notice the longer reach especially when you use the 1.3 crop mode - effectively doubling your focal length compared to FX:)

A little bump for this thread as i have one arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to having a play with it and my new Sigma 18-35mm f1.8. Should hopefully give some sharp results!
Me too David, my trusty D7000 will need moving on, just couldn't resist, those pesky classifieds. :banana:

Also got a 18-140 coming too to replace the 18-200 I somehow broke last year.

I only use the convenience of the 'superzoom' when shooting my kids outdoor dance galas a few times a year. My 17-50 and 70-200 are obviously better IQ, but changing lenses = too many missing shots in a 15 minute dance show. So happy to get lots of 'good' shots versus not getting 'awesome' shots.

Hopefully shouldn't miss the extra zoom, but this article convinced me a 18-140 on a D7100 would be better than a 10 year old 18-200: http://www.philharbordphotography.co.uk/nikon_18-140.html

And people like DXO say the 18-140 is the best Nikon superzoom, especially on the newer sensors like the D7100.

See that's how it easy it is to talk myself into these upgrades. :thinking:

Yeah I saw you'd caved into temptation. :D

I've got the older 18-105 coming aswell but that will go straight into the classifieds I think. I fancy a Siggy 70-200 but I also fancy having a bash at wildlife again so maybe a Sigma 150-500 will be on the cards too.

Yeah I saw you'd caved into temptation. :D

I've got the older 18-105 coming aswell but that will go straight into the classifieds I think. I fancy a Siggy 70-200 but I also fancy having a bash at wildlife again so maybe a Sigma 150-500 will be on the cards too.
Love my Sigma 70-200, the IQ is great, but its a heavy beast on days out with the kids. :(

Suppose that's the nature of higher up the ladder lenses though.

I had the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 on my d7k and was half tempted to try one with the d7100 but fancied a change. Had a quick look on dxo which doesn't really interest me, but it scores as the best standard zoom for aps-c although it's a bit of a limited range. Want to add the Sigma 50mm f1.4 aswell as a kind of middle ground between the 18-35 and the 70-200.

Another reason for the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 is that it replaces 2 lenses for me so it 'made sense to me...'

There goes that crazy reckoning again that you spoke of. :D

LOL, everyone is different and shooting styles/subjects dictate their lenses. Just had the same conversation in the office with two other Nikon shooters.

One loves his primes for the IQ, the other prefers zooms for the convenience.

Its taken me a few years to compile a bunch of lenses that work for me and the things I shoot. (thank you classifieds)

A little bump for this thread as i have one arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to having a play with it and my new Sigma 18-35mm f1.8. Should hopefully give some sharp results!

Me too David, my trusty D7000 will need moving on, just couldn't resist, those pesky classifieds. :banana:

Also got a 18-140 coming too to replace the 18-200 I somehow broke last year.

I only use the convenience of the 'superzoom' when shooting my kids outdoor dance galas a few times a year. My 17-50 and 70-200 are obviously better IQ, but changing lenses = too many missing shots in a 15 minute dance show. So happy to get lots of 'good' shots versus not getting 'awesome' shots.

Hopefully shouldn't miss the extra zoom, but this article convinced me a 18-140 on a D7100 would be better than a 10 year old 18-200: http://www.philharbordphotography.co.uk/nikon_18-140.html

And people like DXO say the 18-140 is the best Nikon superzoom, especially on the newer sensors like the D7100.

See that's how it easy it is to talk myself into these upgrades. :thinking:

Have fun with the D7100.

I've had mine for just under a year and absolutely love it.

Back