Nikon D800......

Was looking at purely the image quality at higher ISO.. but then decided to not go for it as I would barely go about 3200 ISO... I was also tempted because my cousin got one and his images were to say superb...

afterwards, I decided against this as it would be a totally new learning method on using the camera and instead will just upgrade the D300s to D800 and will buy more glass for FX.. currently I only have the 50f1.4D and 150-500.. while the 50 is great companion to the D800, I will need to buy a 70-200VRII to give more reach..

just to say....

Having bought the D800 less that a week ago, (with the 70-200) the iso is much much better that people seem to think. Unless you are really pushed to view 100% or printing huge huge prints, the ISO is fairly irrelevant at 3200 at least Not tried it higher, but have no need to.

They're actually very similar with regard to noise performance, it's just Canon smoothen the noise out a little more, which I find a little less appealing.

AFAIK, unless you're buying used, you have a great chance of NOT suffering the left AF issue

idigitize said:
just to say....

Having bought the D800 less that a week ago, (with the 70-200) the iso is much much better that people seem to think. Unless you are really pushed to view 100% or printing huge huge prints, the ISO is fairly irrelevant at 3200 at least Not tried it higher, but have no need to.
Thanks. Did you buy it from a UK dealer or HK based?? A the moment, Panamoz seem to have a great price for the D800.. Was tempted to go with them...

Cagey75 said:
They're actually very similar with regard to noise performance, it's just Canon smoothen the noise out a little more, which I find a little less appealing.

AFAIK, unless you're buying used, you have a great chance of NOT suffering the left AF issue

Yep buying new so hope to avoid the issues...

I deciced to stay with UK, i know there are savings to be had and hk shops that offer warranties, but just thought id be 100% safe.

I got John Lewis to price match the lowest i could find, then used a Credit card that gave me an extra 2% off at department stores., picked it up next day after ordering at my local waitrose store. All was very smooth and convenient.

I emailed and rung about a dozen uk camera shots, no one came close to John Lewis with price matching when buying the 2 as a bundle.

Last edited:
Why were you going to move to Canon, out of interest? Outside of shooting sports/action, in pretty much every meaningful way the D800 beats the 5D3, and the D700 pretty much matches the 5D3 for stills short of making huge prints and video. I prefer the Canon lens lineup in some areas, but the 5D3's image quality is barely up to scratch.

What are you shooting that makes you come to that conclusion?

So I had to leave if with Nikon...asked Fixation if they could fix it they are Nikon repairers as well, but they would not be able to fix it and would send it to Nikon anyway...now I will be rushing them next week as I need it back latest Saturday next week....

Did you drop it into them or post it? I've still to send mine, just not looking forward to the long wait with no camera, so trying to judge it for when I won't have as much use for it.

Left it with them...estimate is 2 weeks but I will be s pain from next week and calling them almost every day :)
I might look into borrowing a camera for next weekend for a race on Thames....

If you ate NPS member then it takes only few days....

Anyone tried 3rd party batteries for d800 ?
Any good and from where?
Will get meike grip so 2nd battery would be nice as well

Which seller or make is that? Thx

I have been given the go ahead to replace my Nikon D80 and I am considering getting D800, now I have recently had to replace my laptop and it was originally planned to pass this onto my stepson when he goes to uni in September, but unfortunately it looks like I’ll be stuck with it for a bit longer than I would prefer.

Now before I commit to spending this level of money I would like to have a go at processing a RAW file from each of these cameras with the hardware (no dedicated graphics card) and software that I currently have (Photoshop CS3 & Picassa) I also realise that I will probably need to buy lightroom.

So if the good people of TP could let me have an image in 14bit RAW lossless compressed format that would be excellent, I’m not worried if it is out of focus or blurred as long as it isn’t just a plain single colour so I can see how my laptop & software can cope with the files.

Many Thanks
Chris

The RAW files uncompressed are huge 75mb. They are not overly hard to process on decent hardware i.e. Dual Core, 4+GB ram and a big hard drive for storage.

its when you are working on multiple layers or bracketed exposures HDR etc that your computer may choke.

Would email you a picture to process but my mail wouldn't let me send a 75MB file. I have changed to shooting lossless compressed which takes up about 45MB on the cards

The RAW files uncompressed are huge 75mb. They are not overly hard to process on decent hardware i.e. Dual Core, 4+GB ram and a big hard drive for storage.

its when you are working on multiple layers or bracketed exposures HDR etc that your computer may choke.

Would email you a picture to process but my mail wouldn't let me send a 75MB file. I have changed to shooting lossless compressed which takes up about 45MB on the cards

Thanks Tony, do you use Dropbox or a similar storage service? I realised that people wouldn't be able to email a file due to the size

What are you shooting that makes you come to that conclusion?

The dynamic range has barely improved since the 5Dc - the D800 has almost a 3 stop advantage in certain situations. The colour performance again is nothing to write home about. The resolution is substantially lower than the D800 (I regularly make 30*20" prints and am planning to go larger for gallery prints) but the ISO performance isn't any better, and the price is a fair chunk higher. Every aspect of the 5D3's stills performance is matched by the D700 bar the resolution change.

The D800 exmor sensor walks all over the 5D3 sensor for all equivalent size image quality tests (DR, Colour depth, ISO performance) with the added bonus of approaching double the resolution, and £200 off the price tag.

Admittedly the 5D3 does fast shooting better and video is arguably better, but the D800 is so far ahead of the 5D3 in pure stills quality in addition to being cheaper that there was no reason for me not to make the swap.

The dynamic range has barely improved since the 5Dc - the D800 has almost a 3 stop advantage in certain situations. The colour performance again is nothing to write home about. The resolution is substantially lower than the D800 (I regularly make 30*20" prints and am planning to go larger for gallery prints) but the ISO performance isn't any better, and the price is a fair chunk higher. Every aspect of the 5D3's stills performance is matched by the D700 bar the resolution change.

The D800 exmor sensor walks all over the 5D3 sensor for all equivalent size image quality tests (DR, Colour depth, ISO performance) with the added bonus of approaching double the resolution, and £200 off the price tag.

Admittedly the 5D3 does fast shooting better and video is arguably better, but the D800 is so far ahead of the 5D3 in pure stills quality in addition to being cheaper that there was no reason for me not to make the swap.

I owned both the 5D MK III and the D800 and the 5D MK III is easily up to scratch. It's like saying if Canon release their 46MP sensor camera it will mean the D800 isn't up to scratch anymore. As an all rounder in stills and video I'd take a 5D MK III ahead of a D800.

I owned both the 5D MK III and the D800 and the 5D MK III is easily up to scratch. It's like saying if Canon release their 46MP sensor camera it will mean the D800 isn't up to scratch anymore. As an all rounder in stills and video I'd take a 5D MK III ahead of a D800.

Why though? I shoot pretty much only stills and I don't shoot sports at all. For video tbh I don't see a difference. There's nothing really lacking in either system - the only differentiating factor being the sensors in respect to my work. I shoot 3rd party lenses almost exclusively so that's not too much of an issue any more.

www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/C...rand2)/Nikon/(appareil3)/441|0/(brand3)/Nikon

Almost every bob-bias site out there will tell you the D800 beats the 5DIII in every area bar video ... so I would take what one person says on here with a fist of salt.

Why though? I shoot pretty much only stills and I don't shoot sports at all. For video tbh I don't see a difference. There's nothing really lacking in either system - the only differentiating factor being the sensors in respect to my work. I shoot 3rd party lenses almost exclusively so that's not too much of an issue any more.

www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/C...rand2)/Nikon/(appareil3)/441|0/(brand3)/Nikon

Well the D800 is more suited to you if you don't shoot sports or video. Those that do shoot sports and video I'd go with a 5D MK III. Yes the D800 has a good sensor as DxO said, but then the 5D MK III isn't exactly chopped liver.

The M9 scored 69 on the DxO tests, I still prefer the end result to cameras with much higher sensor scores.

So if the good people of TP could let me have an image in 14bit RAW lossless compressed format that would be excellent, I’m not worried if it is out of focus or blurred as long as it isn’t just a plain single colour so I can see how my laptop & software can cope with the files.

Many Thanks
Chris

Send me a PM if you've not managed to find one.

Almost every bob-bias site out there will tell you the D800 beats the 5DIII in every area bar video ... so I would take what one person says on here with a fist of salt.

I've owned the MK III and I know it's up to scratch. When Canon launch a 40+ MP sensor that scores 96 at DxO we'll see what you have to say.

I've owned the MK III and I know it's up to scratch. When Canon launch a 40+ MP sensor that scores 96 at DxO we'll see what you have to say.

But, it won't score that high, because it'll still be a Canon :D - that's just a play on the idea that Canon users seem to believe that DXO are just simply anti-Canon gear btw, before someone attacks me for it! And it's because they [Canon sensors] can't break the top 10. Which is nonsense IMO. One look at the lens ratings proves it is nonsense, as most of the high ranking lenses were tested on Canons.

There both amazing camera's

I didn't say otherwise ... I almost bought a 5D mkIII, I was close. I wasn't tied to any make or model, I'd sold all my old DX gear and was starting from scratch no matter which direction I chose ;)

Last edited:
I have been given the go ahead to replace my Nikon D80 and I am considering getting D800, now I have recently had to replace my laptop and it was originally planned to pass this onto my stepson when he goes to uni in September, but unfortunately it looks like I’ll be stuck with it for a bit longer than I would prefer.

Now before I commit to spending this level of money I would like to have a go at processing a RAW file from each of these cameras with the hardware (no dedicated graphics card) and software that I currently have (Photoshop CS3 & Picassa) I also realise that I will probably need to buy lightroom.

Many Thanks
Chris

Many Thanks to Hugh (Boyfalldown) for letting me have a file

But, it won't score that high, because it'll still be a Canon :D - that's just a play on the idea that Canon users seem to believe that DXO are just simply anti-Canon gear btw, before someone attacks me for it! And it's because they [Canon sensors] can't break the top 10. Which is nonsense IMO. One look at the lens ratings proves it is nonsense, as most of the high ranking lenses were tested on Canons.

I didn't say otherwise ... I almost bought a 5D mkIII, I was close. I wasn't tied to any make or model, I'd sold all my old DX gear and was starting from scratch no matter which direction I chose ;)

I like 5d3. it produces amazing shots for me. i dont care tooo much about DXO, not enough to ditch canon and go Nikon.

I bet not one would switch either way. both are great camera's.

i was thinking of ditching canon for nikon for teh d700 as the 5d2 was pants compared to it for my needs but now both 5d3 and d800 are neck and neck imo i can stick with canon

Yeah, but this is the D800 thread ... so I'll say it's a bit better, because I chose it :)

Well I just sold my D700 and bought myself a D800. Should do a lovely job in the studio! Cant wait to get using it! :D

Well I just sold my D700 and bought myself a D800. Should do a lovely job in the studio! Cant wait to get using it! :D

The difference will stagger you. You did the right thing.

I mostly use my D3 if I'm honest. But I wanted the extra resolution for the studio work. So should do the job nicely :)

I mostly use my D3 if I'm honest. But I wanted the extra resolution for the studio work. So should do the job nicely :)

The D800 is a quantum leap from the D700, it can be abit intense in terms of the detail in the files esp studio shoots or under controlled lighting. You will know what I mean after your first studio shoot with it and start looking at the files on the monitor afterwards

I've been using the D7000 for a while now, but wanted to move to full-frame (I shoot a few gigs, so I was looking for the extra sensor capability etc). Thankfully, I had the fore-sight to buy full-frame lenses which helps a lot. :)

I must say that I'm certainly liking the D800 so far.

I was testing the D800 cropped mode vs my D7000 using high ISO and I have to say that I was very impressed with the D800. I can see how the D800 can be a very useful option for FF/DX bodies in one body.

Back