Nikon D810, grey 'vs' UK stock

Grey import or UK stock

• Total voters
Edit My Images
No
Now, not meaning to start a great debate but I think this will be interesting to get a feel for opinion.
I was speculating on trading up to this model but couldn't fail to miss the price difference and potential saving.

A UK supplied example will cost £2399 against a grey imports price tag of £1769.

Thoughts on this? What would you do?

Votes please!

Now, not meaning to start a great debate but I think this will be interesting to get a feel for opinion.
I was speculating on trading up to this model but couldn't fail to miss the price difference and potential saving.

A UK supplied example will cost £2399 against a grey imports price tag of £1769.

Thoughts on this? What would you do?

Votes please!
Oh, and its only £1,653 at Panamoz using BT

I got my D750 from Panamoz for £1200 rather than paying I think £1700, so grey.

The main issue with grey is obviously a lack of g'tee and a lesser resale value.

If you go into somewhere official like B&H in NYC in the US they badge them as US and 'gray' stock quite openly.

So grey/gray may be just stock procured other than through the national/Euro distributor (in the case of stuff in the UK).

Of course warranty issues such as affecting the D600/D750 would suggest that you should buy official UK stock in order to be able to return it under the guarantee.

The difference therefore really is the price of the official guarantee, unless you are a worldwide globe trotter and are able to return it to the country of origin. In which case the HMRC might take more interest in you passing through the green channel, and without official proof of purchase in that country you are snookered and could get hit with the customs duty, not to mention having your collar felt for import/exporting 'contraband'. Same goes if you are asked whilst travelling on holiday abroad too.

Don't think I'd be paranoid travelling abroad with a grey item. Not everyone keeps receipts for everything they own.

Of course warranty issues such as affecting the D600/D750 would suggest that you should buy official UK stock in order to be able to return it under the guarantee.

For what it's worth with the D750 at least, Nikon UK are repairing them all regardless of where you got it and those that bought from Panamoz have been offered all the help they might need as far as I can remember.

Don't think I'd be paranoid travelling abroad with a grey item. Not everyone keeps receipts for everything they own.

Most don't and you have to be a bit special looking to get snagged at customs. Lost count of the amount of times I've come through and there's been no bugger there at all.

Last edited:
Grey for me; I bought a 'grey' D750 from HDEW in December which has just been 'modified' by Nikon UK at no cost to me. As HDEW are a UK based, my receipt is from a UK registered company too.

For what it's worth with the D750 at least, Nikon UK are repairing them all regardless of where you got it and those that bought from Panamoz have been offered all the help they might need as far as I can remember.

Nikon are repairing D750s for this specific fault, ;) I doubt they will be so accommodating with other faults of Grey imports.

Many years ago I bought a D200 from HK, but it wasn't until I contacted Nikon after I bought it that I found out they would not fix any imported cameras. :( It was a big saving though, and whilst it was my main camera, there were no problems. For the extra I would have lost selling it used as an import, I kept it, and it is now my Timelapse camera. :) I let that camera take all those shutter activations. ;)

If you buy a camera with the aim of selling it on, the extra you lose because of going Grey has to be taken into account, as does the lack of a UK warranty. It all comes down to how much you want/need something, how soon you want it, and how you balance the risk v the saving you can make. The service people are getting from some Grey importers seem to be lessening the peoples fears of the risks. You pays your money, or not, you makes your choice.

I didn't go Grey for my current camera btw, as I felt the risk was too great 5 years ago. Never had any problems with that camera either. Now, I'm not sure what I would do. :thinking: I suppose how much I would save on whatever would have a big influence.

Grey for me; I bought a 'grey' D750 from HDEW in December which has just been 'modified' by Nikon UK at no cost to me. As HDEW are a UK based, my receipt is from a UK registered company too.
May be OK for Tax purposes, but Nikon themselves may react in a different way to an imported camera. Hopefully you will never have to find out. :)

Nikon are repairing D750s for this specific fault, ;) I doubt they will be so accommodating with other faults of Grey imports.

Many years ago I bought a D200 from HK, but it wasn't until I contacted Nikon after I bought it that I found out they would not fix any imported cameras. :( It was a big saving though, and whilst it was my main camera, there were no problems. For the extra I would have lost selling it used as an import, I kept it, and it is now my Timelapse camera. :) I let that camera take all those shutter activations. ;)

If you buy a camera with the aim of selling it on, the extra you lose because of going Grey has to be taken into account, as does the lack of a UK warranty. It all comes down to how much you want/need something, how soon you want it, and how you balance the risk v the saving you can make. The service people are getting from some Grey importers seem to be lessening the peoples fears of the risks. You pays your money, or not, you makes your choice.

I didn't go Grey for my current camera btw, as I felt the risk was too great 5 years ago. Never had any problems with that camera either. Now, I'm not sure what I would do. :thinking: I suppose how much I would save on whatever would have a big influence.

Oh sure, they won't touch stuff otherwise, but there are places who will, and the likes of Panamoz will deal with it for 3 years too.

As for the warranty on used gear, I thought Nikon warranty cards were non transferable? Not sure anyone's going to care where the camera came from in 3 years, but then I've never really thought about it.

I have been a supported of my local camera shop for years,but just lately I feel I am not being treated the same anymore.
So even somebody like me is thinking grey next time :)

May be OK for Tax purposes, but Nikon themselves may react in a different way to an imported camera. Hopefully you will never have to find out. :)
I have a 3 year warranty on the camera body, I will take my chances with a non-Nikon repair if it needs it.

Of course but aren't you in the same boat once the warranty expired regardless of where the camera was sourced from?

If you sell it here or to a retailer they're going to take an extra whack out of it because it's gray but does it matter too much to buyers on places like eBay? I would have assumed not as it'll be out of warranty in either case.

I'd guess the only serious risk you face is if the company you're sourcing the import from goes under during the basic warranty period, you'd have to be pretty unlucky for that to happen from a place like Panamoz as they seem to do a lot of business.

Nikon repaie ALL cameras for any fault regardless where they come from, ive had gear from Panamoz which needed repair before, once it was sent direct to their Authorised repair centre in Scotland (A J Johnstones) then a D800 via Lehmanns in Stoke who sent it onto Nikon themselves and ive had 2 Canon 1ID MKIII's and 1 MKIV which was sent to Nikon by HDEW Cameras, all grey cameras, all fixed or in the case of the 2 MKIII Canons replaced with brand new ones by HDEW.

Grey for me - the £££ saving is too big to ignore.
I bought a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 from Panamoz late last year at a significant saving against UK stock and was very happy with how the transaction was handled.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a Sigma 180mm f2.8 macro lens from a UK dealer - I've been waiting since Sept 2014. I could have bought the lens from a HK supplier and had it in my hands within a week. This is not to suggest I'm not happy with the dealer I chose - simply that they can only provide what they receive from the importer and that sometimes buying UK stock comes with its own frustrations.....

This was interesting to review, the results seem clear enough! Thanks to all those who replied. :ty:

Anyone looking at this thread from jessops must cry lol.

Just bought a "grey" 6D from a UK supplier, it worked out as a £400 saving compared to Jessops.

It would be very interesting to get a cost breakdown as to where the money goes as I'm certain that Jessop's aren't making an extra £400 profit on each camera

HDEW can offer a 3 year warranty and a UK point of order and they've been in business for 20+ years. I think that'll work for me.

HDEW can offer a 3 year warranty and a UK point of order and they've been in business for 20+ years. I think that'll work for me.

Yes since our local jessops closed I've bought all my new kit from HDEW they have been great

Not much point posting now but I can't help myself. I would buy grey, I've only gone grey once so far but would again. Having said that, it would depend a little on which manufacturer it was. The likes of Nikon appear to be willing to handle greys but from what I've read Sigma are much more likely to send you packing. Plus the fact that it's not always cheaper to go grey.

I'm not sure I'd be quite so trusting of Panamoz. All we know about them is they ship stuff from Asia and they have a worker called Tina. Personally, I would not pay using a bank transfer to someone who may or may not be called "Tina" somewhere in Asia. My one grey purchase was bought using PayPal and a physical address was available in Hong Kong. Made me feel a tiny bit "safer" better about it.

I'd also take any warranty with a grey supplier with a pinch of salt. Great while they are in business but 3 years is a long time in this sort of business. We really have no idea what their financials are like etc. If customs ever did wake-up to all those boxes that come through labelled as "toy parts" then the grey market would go pop rather quickly ...

LIke I said though, I'd buy grey. :p

I take the fact that there are hundreds of others on this board alone who have done a BT to Panamoz and had nothing but excellent comments about them as a sign they won't scarper with mine.

I have no experience of Panamoz but have used HDEW recently to purchase a grey D750 & 24-120 lens. HDEW are a UK registered company who have a physical presence in the UK. They even offer an in-store collection service. Making a payment with a credit card in the UK to a UK based company affords some protection should the supplier fail to supply the goods.

Happy customer here with both Panamoz and digital rev. Great comms, and delivered in less time that I'd have expected from a UK based firm. I could track my purchases at every stage. No risk at all. Likely to be my first places to buy a lens or body in the future.

Panamoz grey for sure. If you buy multi items it may be worth while contact them and see if they can offer you discount on top of the 5% bank transfer :). You don't ask you don't get!

It's interesting to see the mind change towards pro grey purchase over the last year or so, this thread shows it very well.

Just bought a "grey" 6D from a UK supplier, it worked out as a £400 saving compared to Jessops.

It would be very interesting to get a cost breakdown as to where the money goes as I'm certain that Jessop's aren't making an extra £400 profit on each camera

The extra £400 will probably be due to VAT at 20%, cost of running a Multi branch high street buisness with it's associated high running cost of tent, business rates, utility bills,higher staff cost etc.

The days of uk bricks and mortar shops are over. Jessops will fail again soon, there is no longer a working business plan for this type of business. Other uk based companies will struggle to compete too as the number of people willing to go grey increases. You won't be able to hold or touch a camera before purchase soon and that is always something to many advise to do on the 'which camera' threads.

If customs ever did wake-up to all those boxes that come through labelled as "toy parts" then the grey market would go pop rather quickly ...

This is the thing currently it's not a level playing field. Import duty is being side stepped and that only has a detrimental effect on the uk economy and not the foreign sellers. If import duty was paid prices would not be as appealing.

Currently I think it's a short term gain for long term loss situation, an interesting downward spiral. No VAT or import duty paid means less money for the government to pay for schools, hospitals, police, council services etc and uk shops can't compete so they close meaning even less tax income and job losses resulting in a greater loss of tax income. This loss of tax income results in cuts meaning job losses in public sector and even less tax income. This all results in cuts to services, education, NHS etc. it's not only cameras where this is happening, businesses are outsourcing or buying cheaper abroad all to increase short term profits, even the government does it (just think of the train purchase contract a year ago). Most of our utility companies are foreign owned and now we don't have a publicly owned post service.

The current election talk is how big the cuts will need to be. We as a country are sleep walking into a reduced quality of life and sadly this is probably the best we will ever see it. It won't be long before the NHS is private and you only have health care if you can pay and other services we take for granted are lost as we won't be able to afford them.

Rob, sounds like you are against grey on the grounds of tax...certain not grey-friendly say. But I bought a Nikon 70-200 VR2 from you and it was a grey item...:thinking:

Rob, sounds like you are against grey on the grounds of tax...certain not grey-friendly say. But I bought a Nikon 70-200 VR2 from you and it was a grey item...:thinking:

Funny you should mention that, it was when you sold it on and Gary mentioned it was grey I found out about it! Sadly I didn't look back at the previous sales thread and read it fully or ask where it was originally purchased. Ive learnt from that mistake and always ask now as it stops me selling onto the likes of MPB.

It's personal preference, I don't say you shouldn't but you should know the facts behind it. I fully understand why people do buy grey as the saving is very good.

The extra £400 will probably be due to VAT at 20%.

You seem to have miss read the bit about "UK Supplier", I didn't say "Dodgy, tax avoiding, under valued import"

Grey just means not imported through the manufacturers preferred supply chain, it doesn't mean smuggled.

You seem to have miss read the bit about "UK Supplier", I didn't say "Dodgy, tax avoiding, under valued import"

Grey just means not imported through the manufacturers preferred supply chain, it doesn't mean smuggled.
Sorry I missed that bit about uk supplier which Im guessing is HDEW or digitalrev. That's means you have a receipt showing the VAT paid and duty was paid on import by the company you purchased from to get it into this country? There are some sellers who send cameras to the uk declared as 'toys valued at £10' to get around import tax then pass on that saving.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed that bit about uk supplier which Im guessing is HDEW. That's means you have a receipt showing the VAT paid and duty was paid on import by the company you purchased from to get it into this country? There are some sellers who send cameras to the uk declared as 'toys valued at £10' to get around import tax then pass on that saving.

Yup, bought from HDEW who are a VAT registered company, obviously I can't be sure that they have been correctly imported but then again I can't prove Jessops do the same.....

I would assume that if HDEW are cheating the UK out of taxes Mr Customs & Excise would have caught them by now, they're not exactly a secret :)

Back