Nikon D810, grey 'vs' UK stock

Grey import or UK stock

• Total voters
Sales tax in the US is under 10% in most states (around 8% in most) so on that basis it takes a Sony a7ii to around £1225. Which is still well over a £200 price difference and more inline with what we'd pay for a grey model. Unless I'm missing any other charges in the US?

The cheapest UK price I can find is £1450 which is roughly £1200 before VAT and you mentioned £1100 from the US but I'm guessing you're using the best rate currency conversion which you're unlikely to get and that ultimately works out to being under 10% difference in price. Considering sterling isn't that strong against USD I wouldn't be surprised if that accounted for a good chunk of the difference alone.

But you can't compare US prices,its a different country lots of things are priced differently to the UK prices :confused:

When you can have something shipped halfway around the world in a couple of days I don't think that argument makes too much sense. Certainly you'd be making a mistake not to compare if you were looking to buy a high value item.

When you can have something shipped halfway around the world in a couple of days I don't think that argument makes too much sense. Certainly you'd be making a mistake not to compare if you were looking to buy a high value item.

I am not saying you can't compare,i am just saying we are two different country with different markets and currencies and different prices on products.
And if you import say from the US you will get stung with VAT & taxes as soon as it get to this end :)

I am not saying you can't compare,i am just saying we are two different country with different markets and currencies and different prices on products.
And if you import say from the US you will get stung with VAT & taxes as soon as it get to this end :)

I appreciate that and I would have agreed if we were talking about things like the cost of a pint of milk versus the 50 gallon tubs they sell over there (general cost of living) as indeed they're a different country and it's not too easy or fair to compare like for like but that doesn't apply to electronics as they're usually small items with a high value that are made in an Asian factory and shipped to other countries. There isn't really a point where the item inherently changes unless writing the manual in EU languages is really expensive. :)

Naturally anyone considering importing has to factor in the high taxes we have in the EU but if you buy well and at the right time it can still work out and I don't have numbers to hand but the last time I did a big order with B&H even after paying full tax and extra fees to Mr UPS/Fedex it was better than the local alternatives. That was a few years ago admittedly.

On the other hand, if you're an American coming to live in the UK you'd be better buying the camera before the move. Amazon.fr have the A7ii listed at €1799 or £1336 (using Google currency converter) anyone know if there any countries selling this camera more expensively than it is here?

In case it's of any use I phoned Nikon service (0330 123 0928) and asked if they would service an out of warranty grey import camera. They said they would handle it as any other repair, there's no distinction made for being a grey import.
This is good news for s/h sales, although I don't know what their reply would be if it were in warranty.

Just for info.

On the other hand, if you're an American coming to live in the UK you'd be better buying the camera before the move. Amazon.fr have the A7ii listed at €1799 or £1336 (using Google currency converter) anyone know if there any countries selling this camera more expensively than it is here?

I blame VAT :(

well if anyone interested i just placed m order with................................................................jessops. using the £150 trade in for an old point and shoot

i figured the one i get should hopefully be fresh of the production line with no flaring fault (hopefully anyway)

In case it's of any use I phoned Nikon service (0330 123 0928) and asked if they would service an out of warranty grey import camera. They said they would handle it as any other repair, there's no distinction made for being a grey import.
This is good news for s/h sales, although I don't know what their reply would be if it were in warranty.

Just for info.
I was told by them that they would honour the one year warranty but not the extended three year one. Indeed my D7100 grey import is registered with them for that purpose.

Just for info.
Nikon no longer care where a camera was originally purchased and will repair ALL cameras under warranty except in the case above.

But you can't compare US prices,its a different country lots of things are priced differently to the UK prices :confused:
On the contrary, you CAN compare US/UK prices, at least for photographic equipment. It's all the same stuff and it's all made in the same factories in Japan (and also places like Thailand and China for cheaper stuff). Shipping costs from the manufacturer to the distributor/retailer might be slightly different, but that's not a significant factor.

What you'll find is that - with the exception of equipment which has been recently released - UK prices are generally very good. But only if you compare like with like. UK prices include VAT, US prices have sales tax added on to them. Without taxes, UK prices tend to be a bit lower. With taxes, they're almost always higher. But then you wouldn't be comparing like with like: your American counterpart can buy his camera cheaper, but he has to set aside some money to pay for health care and you don't. Comparing prices which include taxes makes no sense.

Last edited:
Nikon no longer care where a camera was originally purchased and will repair ALL cameras under warranty except in the case above.

And you can't blame them. What business can afford to turn down business these days, the products all come from the same factory and they have the means of repairing them. At the end of the day, they are a global business and should act as such, it's not there fault the taxes are higher here than Asia.

On the contrary, you CAN compare US/UK prices, at least for photographic equipment. It's all the same stuff and it's all made in the same factories in Japan (and also places like Thailand and China for cheaper stuff). Shipping costs from the manufacturer to the distributor/retailer might be slightly different, but that's not a significant factor.

What you'll find is that - with the exception of equipment which has been recently released - UK prices are generally very good. But only if you compare like with like. UK prices include VAT, US prices have sales tax added on to them. Without taxes, UK prices tend to be a bit lower. With taxes, they're almost always higher. But then you wouldn't be comparing like with like: your American counterpart can buy his camera cheaper, but he has to set aside some money to pay for health care and you don't. Comparing prices which include taxes makes no sense.

The last time I lived and worked in America the price of petrol was 0.89 cents a gallon, at the time it was about £3.80 here ( I know theres USA vs Imp). It's one of the reasons why they have 5 litre engines etc,......I used to drive around in a large engined Cadillac.

We used to laugh that some people would cross states to buy petrol as it was 3 cents cheaper. A H&S colleague went to the doctor for a knee problem, he went for an Athrosocopy a week later, I waited 18 months on the NHS here. I cant remember the exact cost but his health insurance and other stopages were a little less than our PAYE and NI per month.

House prices were a lot cheaper there, as were cars, shopping etc............. so there are benefits for both countries. But in my experience it was cheaper to live in the USA than here.

Last edited:

But then you can compare them with any country that the same goods are sold :)

Last edited:
how many of your local kabab/fish & chip/restaurants/bars/take aways/traders/builders/plumbers/garages etc

Add so called pro photographers to that list as well.

When you buy from Panamoz do you get the warranty in writing? is there some proof of warranty on the invoice.....?

Just looking at a D750 or D810 purchase.....

When you buy from Panamoz do you get the warranty in writing? is there some proof of warranty on the invoice.....?

Afraid not, you do get a receipt for all its worth. Although I have no reason to doubt they'd back up their warranty. They were more than happy for me to return a lens I thought was faulty (was just very noisy) and swap it for a completely different one which was £70 cheaper. Even refunded the difference to my paypal. I don't think somewhere like Jessops would have been so happy to do that.

I don't think somewhere like Jessops would have been so happy to do that.
Is that Jessops pre or post bust? ;)

People worried about Panamoz et al sticking around, but Jessops and Jacobs have been major UK chains which have gone in recent years.

I lost some vouchers I had been given as present but never used. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is that Jessops pre or post bust? ;)

People worried about Panamoz et al sticking around, but Jessops and Jacobs have been major UK chains which have gone in recent years.

I lost some vouchers I had been given as present but never used. :rolleyes:

True, these days it's gamble wherever you buy your gear. Perhaps they should advertise their financial credentials on the door for all to check before you enter. My local LCE has just shut down.

Where was that ? :)

Chesterfield, went in their last week, closing down posters all over windows and half the shelves empty.
Was hoping to check out some sony gear but only had a couple of point and shoots.

Last edited:
I know their have been cutback in the gear my local LCE keeps :(

Maybe it's a sign of things to come. I don't think it's as feasible as it once was for the big chains to maintain so many stores. It's a shame but I guess we are all to blame. The Internet offers a better deal, not only with price but consumer rights.

Last edited:
Maybe it's a sign of things to come. I don't think it's as feasible as it once was for the big chains to maintain so many stores. It's a shame but I guess we are all to blame. The Internet offers a better deal, not only with price but consumer rights.

Yep sign of the times,i think only those shops that can do a good s/h trade will survive.

When I lived down South (Sussex) we had a great secondhand camera shop called MXV.

Really nice people, great prices and excellent warranty. If you didn't like what you'd bought you could take it back for a refund / exchange.

Sadly they went bust too. Perhaps one of the first.

When I lived down South (Sussex) we had a great secondhand camera shop called MXV.

Really nice people, great prices and excellent warranty. If you didn't like what you'd bought you could take it back for a refund / exchange.

Sadly they went bust too. Perhaps one of the first.
Paul Beaumont was the owners name. Great shop. Who would give you tea and coffee these days while browsing! :)

Chesterfield, went in their last week, closing down posters all over windows and half the shelves empty.
Was hoping to check out some sony gear but only had a couple of point and shoots.

Chesterfield branch ! Not at all surprised they were completely unhelpful when I last visited. I've never been in a rush to go back. So that's how they lost one customer.

Yes the proof of warranty is printed on the invoice. For example:-

D750 with three years UK warranty.

re tax avoidence and all the illegal talk, surely if it was illegal they would be shut down
When tax is evaded on grey imports (not all grey imports are evading tax, but many clearly are), it is not the company breaking the law, it is the consumer. That is why they cannot 'shut down' the importers - they're not doing anything illegal, and most have little or no UK presence to shut down anyway.

To reiterate - when you buy grey, legally YOU are the importer, and you are responsible for making sure the correct tax declarations have been made and paid, not the company you ordered from.

Back