Nikon D810

Has nobody else noticed base ISO of 64?

There will be so many possibilities soon - a "mix and match" type situation.

At around £2k to £2.5k it has to be the best value around? …. excepting any initial "teething" problems

The D810 is now shaping up to be a serious contender versus the D4S …….. add a grip, presumably the Nikon one will be up to £200 and you are probably 90% there ………. I wonder what they will do to "improve" the D4S?

used (and new) D800 prices have been falling …….. wonder what this will do to prices of the D800? … a low clicks D800 will sell for half the retail price of the D810 - (if you are lucky)
Trouble is that Nikon hyped the D800 as having the exact same AF system as the D4 when in reality its not as good as the D300

Seems the samples are getting ripped apart already.. over what looks like oil splatter in a no. of the images and the high iso performance. But to be honest the samples they give have never been a true indication on performance.

For me I am very interested in the D810. The improved AF system from the D4s, especially with the group AF. The sharper images due to removal of OLPF and slightly better ISO make this a serious alternative for me. I was aiming to upgrade to the D4s but now I think the D810 would be better. At least I don't need to pay through the nose for a XQD card and frankly I don't need the FPS

I wonder how the ISO performance will stack up against the D4s?

I was on the verge of buying the d800 ,will just hold on till prices of d810 comes down a tad. The d800 at around £1400 is no brainer at the moment but will have to see how close D810 comes to from " the importers"

What are the live view improvements?

Higher res screen, split screen focus, and read somewhere there one touch zoom for checking manual focus, can't find where I read it now. Useful for macro, I'd expect the focusing in Live view to be faster too. It's pretty sluggish at times as is on the D800/E.

Just found this:

"One of the biggest highlights of the D810 is the new and improved shutter mechanism that allows Electronic Front-curtain mode in Live View. Basically, the camera simply starts recording the exposure without moving the shutter and only closes the shutter at the end of the exposure sequence, which completely eliminates shutter vibrations. This is a great feature for those of us that shoot in low light, especially with heavy supertelephoto lenses that tend to increase camera shake at long focal lengths. For me, this is a must-have feature when testing lenses in my lab, since I do not have to worry about shutter vibrations at all. The new shutter mechanism is also supposedly much quieter in operation and there is now a “Quiet Continous” mode."

Read more: http://photographylife.com/nikon-d810-vs-d800-d800e#ixzz35lfeFJm4

Last edited:
Doesn't look like too much of an upgrade. No headline new features. A better upgrade than the D600-D610 which was just to get away from the oily reputation of the D600. If they had called it a D800S I doubt anyone would have raised an objection.

I was surprised at no 4k video as other cameras are starting to have it. If the Panasonic GH4 can have it, then a top of the range DSLR should be able to have it, unless there is some technical reason they couldn't do it.

Saw an ad earlier comparing the 7fps in DX mode to the 4fps of the D800/D800E in FX mode. A bit misleading. :thinking: And I think the 7fps is only with the grip, and I'm assuming certain types of batteries.

Is there some technical reason why they couldn't offer different RAW file sizes at 24mp, 16mp and 8mp?

Only time will tell if they have improved the AF.

I was hoping this announcement was for a D300S replacement. :( :rolleyes:

Hmm, still not seeing anything that makes me want to upgrade from the D700. I'll wait this one out and see what comes next.

I'm wondering what exactly you're waiting for. It may not be a must have upgrade if you already own a D800, but surely this now makes it tempting for D700 owners? I'm genuinely curious... what puts you off?

looking good for you nikon shooters... The D810 is in fact a direct minor upgrade of D800E, not the regular D800. Obviously it replaces both. Hopefully the higher ISO will look a bit better.

I'm more interested in the ISO 64 and I'm looking forward to seeing some stunning landscapes with it.

Same AF system as the D4 - redesigned front shutter to reduce vibration. This is not just a minor cosmetic upgrade, its quite a significant one in my opinion.

I'm wondering what exactly you're waiting for. It may not be a must have upgrade if you already own a D800, but surely this now makes it tempting for D700 owners? I'm genuinely curious... what puts you off?

I don't tend to upgrade DSLR's very often! In 9 years I've had 2 a D70 and the D700. The D700 was a real step change in performance, granted it was also a pro body rather than a consumer body.

But I don't see a step change up in the D800, other than in megapixels. What features would make me change? I don't know, but probably will when i see them! TBH, i'm quite enjoying shooting my X-Pro currently, not even sure i'll change the D700 unless it breaks, as I couldn't justify the investment for something that doesn't get 100% of my time. But that may change:)

Looking at the sample images, the ISO performance isn't noticeably improved. That was the only reason I would have upgraded..... and possibly 60fps in 1080p and zebra striping. Oh well... The D800E still rocks.

I'd upgrade from my D800 if you didn't have to wait for months... and months... and months.... before you get tethering support in Lightroom!

I'd upgrade from my D800 if you didn't have to wait for months... and months... and months.... before you get tethering support in Lightroom!

You should really wait for a few months to let the price settle any way... by which time there will be. Surely there also no RAW support for it in LR anyway yet? Another reason why I'd never rush out and buy one right away.

You should really wait for a few months to let the price settle any way... by which time there will be. Surely there also no RAW support for it in LR anyway yet? Another reason why I'd never rush out and buy one right away.
There is a workaround where you convert the NEF's to DNG's and then import into LR... not ideal though of course!

The delay in tethering support is really poor though. The D4S, for example, has been out for some 5 months now and still no tethering. I don't know if it's Nikon being slow at getting the SDK out or Adobe (amongst others) being slow at implementing it... I do know that I'm not going to 'early adopt' any more because of it though... hopeless!

£2699 at Wex

Thanks John, a bit stepper than I was expecting. The specs of this are what I was more or less hoping for. But I have to agree with what others have said, if you have already brought a D800/E, then unless your a person that must have the latest not sure its worth the change. Think I am going to stick to the original plan and keep the D700 for another 12 to 18 months.

One small thing can anyone tell me why it has a CF slot and a SD slot, rather that two CF or two SD slots?

I'm more interested in the ISO 64 and I'm looking forward to seeing some stunning landscapes with it..

I wouldn't be so sure until it is tested in the wild. D800 ISO100 is in practice ISO73 - or much closer to "64" according to DXO mark sensor. Nikon may have decided to report it more accurately, or maybe it is an actual ISO50 or less?

There seems to a lot of confusing on the zebra striping.. is it not only for exposure and not AF. As I've seen some posts going on about it for AF.

I'm the only one in this thread who's mentioned it, and I'm not confused about it at all. No one mentioned AF.. unless you mean other threads in other forums.

Last edited:
Ken Cockwell didn't take long to get a load of crap online...

Ken Cockwell said:
The Nikon D810 is the world's best for these things because it has such extremely high image quality that it exceeds not just every other full-frame DSLR ever made, it also replaces medium-format digital cameras that cost as much as a new Mercedes.

I've seen the stills... I really doubt anyone could tell the D810 images from the D800E images. Cockwell clearly has never worked with high end medium format in his life.

Ken Cockwell said:
Now the D810 is 25% faster and may also be used for sports, whoo hoo! In fact, why bother with the D4s when you can get the D4s' AF performance with far higher resolution for half the price in the D810? Exactly!

Oh dear....

Ken Cockwell said:
Nikon claims a new sensor to get the higher speed, but I suspect it's really only faster processors to chew on all that data.

Supposition and guesswork.. just what you want from a review.

It's obvious he's never even seen one... just copying and pasting from other sources and adding his usual hyperbole and crap. How is this a review? Idiot.

Last edited:
It's obvious he's never even seen one... just copying and pasting from other sources and adding his usual hyperbole and crap. How is this a review? Idiot.

He's got you to bite & talk about him. Hasn't he? which is exactly why he posts the stuff he does

He's got you to bite & talk about him. Hasn't he? which is exactly why he posts the stuff he does

Oh undoubtedly. He's an unstoppable force now though. However... beginners hang on hs every word, and there are a great many beginners in here. While moaning of Facebook about him is pointless... I feel we have a duty to point out the contradictory and duplicitous nature of the Cockster to newbies. Anyone who deliberately misleads to generate page hits should be pointed out to beginners.... just as you'd warn kids against strangers giving sweeties :)

Last edited:
Oh undoubtedly. He's an unstoppable force now though. However... beginners hang on hs every word, and there are a great many beginners in here. While moaning of Facebook about him is pointless... I feel we have a duty to point out the contradictory and duplicitous nature of the Cockster to newbies. Anyone who deliberately misleads to generate page hits should be pointed out to beginners.... just as you'd warn kids against strangers giving sweeties :)

Joe McNally referenced (and linked to) Ken Rockwell the other day. http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/2014/06/23/old-school-meets-new-school-part-ii/ That Joe must be a right noob... :D

When I first started using Nikon dslrs I was pointed in the direction of KR's site for info and reviews. His name seemed to spring up in every conversation around various forums whenever anything Nikon was mentioned. It didn't take me long to figure out he was full of BS. I was after a D200, and I'd read on one section of his site, an older review he'd done, that it was one of the best DX dslrs ever! all high praise and goodness. Great. After I bought it, I went to revisit his thoughts on it, and found his D300 page, wherein he says the D200 is now a piece of crap, you shouldn't even look at it, the D300 is thebest thing since sliced bread etc ... I did a little more digging around his p*** poor site and found he does this a lot. Whatever is new and shiney is the best thing ever, and you should dump all your old gear to buy it ... basically. Unless it's one of his favourite old 70's lenses, then you should buy 5 of them.

He's a douche.

I held off from upgrading my D700 when the D800/E came out. I think now is the time. I will have to compare how prices stabilise with respect to D800E before deciding what makes better sense, but heck the gearhead in me will no doubt want the D810.....

I've never checked, but out of interest, how much does a D800E go for used these days?

Nikon have (it seems) confirmed that they will not be adding the D810 to the list of cameras supported by Capture NX2.

What a stupid move. :mad:

I believe that is because they have a new release of the software?

They've got the new Capture NX-D but it's nothing like Capture NX2 (which is in a different league).

Capture NX2 is by far the best software for dealing with NEF files - i.e. preparing & exporting them as TIFFs for editing in the other serious editors (Photoshop, Capture One Pro, etc). Capture NX-D is a lightweight by comparison.

Last edited:
I was about to buy a D800 to go along with my trusty D700 but looks like I will just need to wait a few months until the true prices start to come around and a D810 should be mine. The group area AF interests me but it needs to be quick focussing and be accurate. I will be reading the reviews to make sure its the camera I want before buying.

The price will no doubt drop a little in a few months but a new D800/E is still something like 2300 now, over 2 years on so not sure how much the 810 will drop. I'm guessing a couple of hundred max but D800 used prices are getting very low now!

Back